Publik

(Another) Trading Post that might actually succeed?

THREAD MOVED HERE

yb1J6.png

p><p>Alright. We

The Goods:

We'll do 3 things:

-Facilitate trade between players

-Sell/gather items (food, weapons, ammo, utilities)

-Rent bodyguards

Trading:

%7Boption%7Dhttp://i.imgur.com/Um3Yi.gif' alt='Um3Yi.gif'>

Thank you oRidicule ♥

Selling goods:

We gather weapons, ammo, food, water, utilities, etc. We put them in a distant location, like way up the coast in a hidden place, or we keep them on Skalisty in an off-limits area. If anyone spawns in the off-limits area, they are killed. Teams are dropped on the mainland by air or sea and go out to collect stuff. We then trade the items for whatever it is we need, mostly vehicle parts and fortifications (tents, wire, sandbags, tank traps).

Renting bodyguards/mercenaries:

If you like to kill, we can have you rented out for a percentage of the loot our employer finds. Be it security for an airfield run, guarding a vehicle, attacking another camp, whatever. The post will supply weapons/ammo for the merc teams, and we'll continue an operation until we succeed. If you die, we rearm you and send you back out.

The Spot:

I'm thinking Skalisty Island (SE corner). It's got a lot of cover from the mainland, and the SE side can't be seen from the coast. It has no hard fortifications to depend on, so the most damage a hacker can do is kill us all. It can't be reached without resources (read: boat or helicopter), so ghosting or server hopping is much harder to do. It requires boats and things to work, but I'm hopeful we can spend the time waiting on that update to gather the tents/fortifications/vehicles we need as well as being best friends and weeding out the people that would instead stab us in the back.

Access to the Island:

We can set up a mainland post to check players before letting them on the island. Once they're checked out, a boat is sent from Skalisty to pick them up and ferry them to the island. Once on the island, guards accompany the group to make sure no one becomes a threat. If we don't have enough guards to staff the place we don't run ferries.

Snipers will be posted on the coast of the island and keep an eye on the boat when we send it out.

Or...

A mobile base could work too. Drop our stuff in the relative safety of the wilds, and drive into town with a few Urals to set up shop for a few hours.

Rules for Clients:

Primary out but down. If we can holster our sidearms in the future then that works too. If you raise your weapon you'll be warned. If you don't drop your weapon you'll be shot and your gear will be thrown in a tent and sold.

If we are attacked:

Clients are to get on the ground and not do anything. Anyone that is found afterwards that is dead but not confirmed as hostile will have their gear stored in a tent. You'll be allowed back on the island to take your gear or have it taken to you.

The Server:

We need a server. Rules are up for grabs, I really don't care what, as long as it's a 1.7+/beta server. Casual settings would be easy for us, but would also bring the casual griefers and so on. Hardcore is harder, but brings us players that really want to trade. All up to debate.

So far, DE26 or Chicago 10.

Communications:

We've got offers for TS3 servers. Check the Steam group description. Communications with clients will be done through Direct.

Leadership:

If we ever have a leader they'll show up later down the line. I'm asking for like-minded individuals who want to work democratically. I don't want to impose duties like "gotta bring in X items/day or you're out!" or "gotta guard the island all day". Do what you want, we'll work out what the post turns into later.

So yeah, if you're interested go ahead and join the Steam group. It's currently public (ha), and we'll work out how we want to go about it from there. If you don't use Steam for Arma2 (and I don't see why not, since you can link non-steam games anyways), we can work something else out.

I think this is a great idea!

Hop on dat steam group if you wanna join. Have any server preferences?

Trading:

We make this shape out of barbed wire:
G

,->___ |A Drops their item at A
| | |B Drops their item at B
A | B |A and B go clockwise around the wire fence
___| | |Gs make sure neither gets hostile
<-' |A picks up the item at B, B picks up the item at A

G

Why not just have 2 city merchants who act as escrow? (A drops gear in one merchant's pack' date=' B drops gear in the other merchant's pack, merchants take gear to the other player. Or merchants take gear out of player's pack). The last thing you want is confusion, and people arguing over not getting the right gear, and accusing other players of stealing.

The Spot:

Access to the Island:

I think you're just better off holding a place like Rog (server ghosting or not). Trolls are going to make swiss cheese of your boat, no question. Rog will give you the structural defense you need to control an area.

Rules for Clients:

Maybe it'd be easier to police if you force visitors to keep their guns IN their packs. Anyone who has a gun out in the area of Rog will be KOS. Anyone who logs in attempting to ghost (having their guns out) will be killed before they even load in. Anyone who attempts to take a weapon out will be KOS. I just think it'll be really hard for you to tell who is ghosting in to visit and who is ghosting in to attack otherwise.

Good luck to you though, my guys would probably be down to merc for you if you need it.

Why not just have 2 city merchants who act as escrow? (A drops gear in one merchant's pack' date=' B drops gear in the other merchant's pack, merchants take gear to the other player. Or merchants take gear out of player's pack). The last thing you want is confusion, and people arguing over not getting the right gear, and accusing other players of stealing.

[/quote']

Check the awesome GIF oRidicule made :) It works cause you've got 2 armed guards who are hopefully neutral to make sure neither dicks around. The guards can check the pile before the trade happens if requested, but you can see what the other person drops on the ground. If I want to trade for an M16, and the other guy drops an AK, I know that it's not what we agreed to.

I'd be wary of letting someone else in my pack, and this way the items never touch a third party and guarantees the third party won't steal something first.

I think you're just better off holding a place like Rog (server ghosting or not). Trolls are going to make swiss cheese of your boat' date=' no question. Rog will give you the structural defense you need to control an area.

[/quote']

Which is why we need several boats and will probably accept most payment in the form of vehicle parts :) It's also why people are vetted before sending the boat out, and why we'd have a sniper or three on the island watching the pickup point for miscreants.

Maybe it'd be easier to police if you force visitors to keep their guns IN their packs. Anyone who has a gun out in the area of Rog will be KOS. Anyone who logs in attempting to ghost (having their guns out) will be killed before they even load in. Anyone who attempts to take a weapon out will be KOS. I just think it'll be really hard for you to tell who is ghosting in to visit and who is ghosting in to attack otherwise.

Well' date=' the only problem I have there is that it requires the player to have at least 10 slots open for the rifle. What if they're trading rotor assemblies?

Having your gun out but down also lets people feel a little more secure. I guess it could be appended that if you raise your weapon and point it at someone, you get shot.

Good luck to you though, my guys would probably be down to merc for you if you need it.

Roger that, would be happy for the help :)

I've seen and heard of too many weapons disappearing when transferred in and out of backpacks. Why not use a tent at your checkpoint as a lock-up as it were. That way players can leave all of their weapons in there, returned to them upon peacful exit from the outpost.

I've seen and heard of too many weapons disappearing when transferred in and out of backpacks. Why not use a tent at your checkpoint as a lock-up as it were. That way players can leave all of their weapons in there' date=' returned to them upon peacful exit from the outpost.

[/quote']

That might work as well. There's a small island N of Skalisty that you might be able to fit a tent on... Could use that as a first stop, secure from random looters.

Vic|GM' pid='117235' dateline='1339841174']

I have a server that you are welcome to use

TS3: 79.161.200.234:9117

Id be interested in helping and ive found something that will go a long way for supplying us

Toss me a PM or leave the server as a comment on the Steam group :)

I have yet to get the game, but I truly hope this succeeds. Good luck, and if it does, I'll be glad to help in anyway I can, even if that means just going out to get you some loot to increase stock.

It's official, Trading Post Delta is moving over here, I already have too many supplies for my own use (blood packs etc) so I'll be donating them when the chance arises....or a bandit kills me, whichever comes first.

Well now we need to actually put a plan into action. I'm not in charge so I'm just depending on Publik and perhaps Vulwulf to make some sort of statement about what exactly their intentions are. I'm ready to help all the way and should hopefully have a lot of time to do so.

id be willing to find supplies you need if you will trade for them... i would be especially happy to trade for ammo.

I'm on board to. I'm glad that you're still invested in the concept of a trading post, Publik. We have to talk about spiffy names, though. :)

The thought has occurred to me that a slightly less ambitious start-up might be appropriate. A relatively small, easily defensible outpost on the mainland that we only man for a few hours a day (hours of operation which we make quite clear to our potential customers) with a minimum of tents or other long-term assets. This would function simply as a place to facilitate trade and perhaps hire out a few mercenaries. Such a small startup would provide a proof of concept for this kind of trading post--as well as generally getting the word out--until we have the manpower and customer base to make Skalisty a viable base.

I'm on board to. I'm glad that you're still invested in the concept of a trading post' date=' Publik. We have to talk about spiffy names, though. :)

The thought has occurred to me that a slightly less ambitious start-up might be appropriate. A relatively small, easily defensible outpost on the mainland that we only man for a few hours a day (hours of operation which we make quite clear to our potential customers) with a minimum of tents or other long-term assets. This would function simply as a place to facilitate trade and perhaps hire out a few mercenaries. Such a small startup would provide a proof of concept for this kind of trading post--as well as generally getting the word out--[b']until we have the manpower and customer base to make Skalisty a viable base.

Bolded the last bit for emphasis :)

On the topic of leadership, I don't really want to lead per-se, and I'm not going to go and declare one. If someone steps up and ends up in a leadership role, I'll pass the ownership of the Steam group (for now I'll just give Kurk and Vul join ownership if possible).

I'm also thinking we use officer roles in the group for members, owners for defined leaders (when they arise), and general members for affiliates.

For a start grab one of those Urals and drive it to a certain place once a day for a few hours and defend there? Would be good until vehicles get better about sticking around.

I'm on board to. I'm glad that you're still invested in the concept of a trading post' date=' Publik. We have to talk about spiffy names, though. :)

The thought has occurred to me that a slightly less ambitious start-up might be appropriate. A relatively small, easily defensible outpost on the mainland that we only man for a few hours a day (hours of operation which we make quite clear to our potential customers) with a minimum of tents or other long-term assets. This would function simply as a place to facilitate trade and perhaps hire out a few mercenaries. Such a small startup would provide a proof of concept for this kind of trading post--as well as generally getting the word out--[b']until we have the manpower and customer base to make Skalisty a viable base.

Bolded the last bit for emphasis :)

On the topic of leadership, I don't really want to lead per-se, and I'm not going to go and declare one. If someone steps up and ends up in a leadership role, I'll pass the ownership of the Steam group (for now I'll just give Kurk and Vul join ownership if possible).

I'm also thinking we use officer roles in the group for members, owners for defined leaders (when they arise), and general members for affiliates.

For a start grab one of those Urals and drive it to a certain place once a day for a few hours and defend there? Would be good until vehicles get better about sticking around.

I agree that it's best to leave leadership fluid for now.

As to the initial base: I know you scoffed at using the Balota medical camp as a base, but it's actually a fairly nice setup.

On the Pro side, it has triple-gates, no Zeds spawning inside or even being able to get inside, a relatively clear initial area to use as our initial "market" with room to expand as we grow, and four watchtowers. There are clear, flat plains on three sides with a lightly wooded area on a hill to the North, which we could staff with a handful of stealthy sniper-killers if it becomes necessary.

Con wise, I know it's near the coast and uncomfortably close to Cherno, but I few well armed guards with nasty attitudes could deter bandits, while newly-spawned Makarov wielders aren't exactly credible threats. Suicidal ghosting with the aforementioned Makarov might be an easy tactic for griefers, though.

A big point in our favor for this initial base is that it won't really be that ripe of a target. If we don't initially place any emphasis on long-term storage, then the only thing of value for raiders to try to steal would be the items in the inventories of guards and clients, which guards and clients would all be heavily armed and working together in the face of such a raid, instead of being individually pick-off-able as they normally are.

There remains the problem of clients and guards being targeted as they commute, but that's a problem for any set base. Probably the worst thing about a base near the coast is that victorious raiders could camp their fallen comrades' bodies until they jog up from a respawn relatively near by.

Which is why I'd prefer staying away from the coast, or away from the mainland coast. My main concern with the Balota medical tents is that there's the Balota spawn point people can cycle to. It's also within shitting distance of the airfield, which is a main target for both newbies and vets that need a quick set of gear to go inland. It being near Cherno doesn't help either.

The idea of a mobile base, or at least one or two of those big Urals, really sounds nice to start with. We can drive them to town, set up shop, and then haul ass to a safer location when we're done trading (or leave them with a friendly group).

We can keep that discussion on the Steam group chat :P

I hope more things like this pop up in the future. Me and a small group are going to do the same thing but on a more client based system. One where deals are worked out in advance and we meet the clients and designated locations to trade.

I hope more things like this pop up in the future. Me and a small group are going to do the same thing but on a more client based system. One where deals are worked out in advance and we meet the clients and designated locations to trade.

What are your thoughts on joining us as partners? You reel in big fish and maybe provide some freelance acquisitions or security, we provide a stable meeting place and base of operations where your clients know that a 3rd party will be watching over the trade.

Its going to be a bit before were in any shape to do this regularly. We like a certain part of the map where one cant get certain things. But we have tons of food/utility equipment/firepower at our disposal. Add Jolmer7 on steam if you want to talk about this stuff. Im not sure I can say wed like to partner with people like you but I dont mind talking about it.

I'm interested in the body guard business but I want to take it a step further. I want to organize and maintain 24/7 protection from not hired guns but a security detail or security group directly attached to the Trading post. I myself require nothing more than food,water,bandages, and guns required to survive. I wont demand a split profit of any kind just simply what I need to survive and maintain a coherent lifestyle. PM on steam: GodlyMilkDudz, if you wish to speak to me about this further.