Publik

(Another) Trading Post that might actually succeed?

I'm really liking the suggestions so far, and I have joined the steam group and ts. I am more than happy to do any work needed.

Also, would a medic of sorts be neccessary on site or not?

I thought that electro was the closest area to get it and also' date=' If we can get our first huey, I'll be more than happy to fly us a quick run to the the NW airfield and fly off till extraction is called for could be the best option for saving fuel and other things like that.

Also if you have TS could you please try to get on, It's easier to plan on there than on a forum lol.

[/quote']

We're going to try and keep the discussion to the forums for now so it's all here for future reference and for others to see, we are currently discussing a time and date for a public TS3 chat however, keep your eyes on the thread.

I'm really liking the suggestions so far' date=' and I have joined the steam group and ts. I am more than happy to do any work needed.

[/quote']

I don't know about a full time medic, I don't see why not though, maybe a medic per supply group, mostly just someone who has more medical supplies than the others?

Edit: You know...since this all started I haven't had time to actually PLAY DayZ :p

I'm really liking the suggestions so far' date=' and I have joined the steam group and ts. I am more than happy to do any work needed.

[/quote']

I don't know about a full time medic, I don't see why not though, maybe a medic per supply group, mostly just someone who has more medical supplies than the others?

Edit: You know...since this all started I haven't had time to actually PLAY DayZ :p

Probably for the best, given the zombie flash-mobs that we would have fallen to if we played 1.7.1 right off the bat :)

Call me a sad, unfun little man, but I actually quite enjoy this kind of discussion and organizational footwork. I just hope that everyone can have the patience to bear with us as we pull together the thousand little threads into a cohesive whole. ;)

I've calculated that for supply runs, reinforcements and just general transport we are going to need about 4 boats, 2 jeeps, would be smart to get a heli of some sort.

About 7 jerry cans to refuel them all when empty

about 5 scrap metal for repairs

I'm thinking 5 fuel tank parts

12 wheels would be smart

7+ engine parts

4 windscreen glass(optional)

And this is pretty much bare minimum, if we want to get more vehicles, this is much more. Needless to say these need to be our prime trading items because in order to get everything under control and functional we need vehicles, no questions asked....

I'm definitely interested in helping out, I've been looking for a bit of a goal for a while now.

I've calculated that for supply runs' date=' reinforcements and just general transport we are going to need about 4 boats, 2 jeeps, would be smart to get a heli of some sort.

12 wheels would be smart

7+ engine parts

And this is pretty much bare minimum, if we want to get more vehicles, this is much more. Needless to say these need to be our prime trading items because in order to get everything under control and functional we need vehicles, no questions asked....

[/quote']

Sounds like a good starting point for vehicle parts, aren't helis disabled for now?

Ural truck, problem solved.

Fill the truck with guns, supplies, players. Go to a semi-safe location, everyone piles out and secures the area. A single person goes out to meet "the customer" with the goods and is under constant sniper overwatch. If the customer has a gun in his hand, he gets perforated.

Such is business in the zone...

I would just like to stress the server issue a bit more. With all the people wanting to help it would be benificial to have a server chosen ASAP. I know you have it between 2 choices atm, but I can't stress enough that if possible getting your own server would be 10x more beneficial to this project.

I would also recommend staying away from servers "claimed" as being the home to "such and such" clan. I realise people my have friends in these clans and what not, but clans get big, very big! They might be very helpful to getting started but with more people joining the clan that means less server slots available to traders, scavengers, ect... UNLESS, said clan is all going to be a part of the Trading post project.

Also, I highly recommened NOT publicly announcing what server the Trading post will be on until the island and transportation have been secured. Keep it within the steam group or just TS3 to minimize as much as possible word spreading to griefers.

FOX' pid='137001' dateline='1340052326']

Ural truck' date=' problem solved.

Fill the truck with guns, supplies, players. Go to a semi-safe location, everyone piles out and secures the area. A single person goes out to meet "the customer" with the goods and is under constant sniper overwatch. If the customer has a gun in his hand, he gets perforated.

Such is business in the zone...

[/quote']

The problem with that is that this isn't really what we want to do. We aren't planning on being a merchant caravan: we want to establish a safe zone that facilitates trade and non-shooty behavior between other players. The benefit we gain will be in charging a fee for entry to this safe zone.

We'll probably end up being a fairly powerful force using these fees, as well as do some trading with our customers, but that's not our primary objective. Besides that, a system based on individual clients wouldn't be profitable enough to justify the manpower necessary to protect it, in my opinion.

I would just like to stress the server issue a bit more. With all the people wanting to help it would be benificial to have a server chosen ASAP. I know you have it between 2 choices atm' date=' but I can't stress enough that if possible getting your own server would be 10x more beneficial to this project.

I would also recommend staying away from servers "claimed" as being the home to "such and such" clan. I realise people my have friends in these clans and what not, but clans get big, very big! They might be very helpful to getting started but with more people joining the clan that means less server slots available to traders, scavengers, ect... UNLESS, said clan is all going to be a part of the Trading post project.

Also, I highly recommened NOT publicly announcing what server the Trading post will be on until the island and transportation have been secured. Keep it within the steam group or just TS3 to minimize as much as possible word spreading to griefers.

[/quote']

It did occur to me that joining an existing server means that there's less slots for everyone involved, getting our own server would help in the long term I suppose, but I don't really know what it takes to get a DayZ server running.

Edit: After reading this thread: http://dayzmod.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=1429 I certainly don't have a spare PC as powerful as mine lying about.

I would just like to stress the server issue a bit more. With all the people wanting to help it would be benificial to have a server chosen ASAP. I know you have it between 2 choices atm' date=' but I can't stress enough that if possible getting your own server would be 10x more beneficial to this project.

[/quote']

Thank you for reiterating. I will advise that we not advertise the location of our server in even our TS3 meeting, making our discussions public and inclusive, but PM'ing people to let them know what server they should report to during the start up phase.

What's the address for the TS3 server we're using for this? I'd like to bookmark it and at least listen in, even if I can't join in the discussion because I don't have a mic right now. Someone should PM it to me; broadcasting it to the entire forum would probably pose a significant security risk.

That's one of the things we're ironing out, but we'll most likely be using Vic's TS3 server for the initial meeting. We won't be releasing the DayZ server in that meeting, so it should be safe to broadcast. We just have to make sure that someone online will have the ability to kick/mute trolls if it comes to it.

I've calculated that for supply runs' date=' reinforcements and just general transport we are going to need about 4 boats, 2 jeeps, would be smart to get a heli of some sort.

12 wheels would be smart

7+ engine parts

[/quote']

Sounds like a good starting point for vehicle parts, aren't helis disabled for now?

Idk about the helis but at least 1 boat and 1 jeep is required to start, as time goes on we need backups and retreat vehicles

I looked around the forum and found this post.

As I've owned servers for various other games in the past I looked through a few providers. Short version a server will cost a lot. Much more than I was expecting.

Since it wouldn't be fair to have any one person shelling out the cost of running a server by themselves I'd recommend adding some type of donation to the server (if this is allowed). All donation should go to the server and only the server obviously. Possibly, in addition if sufficient money is being donated investing more in a TS3/Vent server. I know there already is one, but I don't know if its strickly for the trading post or is only being made available to use.

Gameservers.com - Running close to $4.00 per slot.

defconservers.com - Running around $2.00 per slot.

Fragnet.net - Running around $2.60 per slot.

artofwarcentral.com - Running around $1.50 per slot.

NOTE: I haven't looked at the server specs so these prices may not be the most accurate. I'm also not 100% sure you can just buy a server from anywhere and be able to run DayZ on it.

Need someone to clarify. I never installed mods on servers I've owned in the past.

That's one of the things we're ironing out' date=' but we'll most likely be using Vic's TS3 server for the initial meeting. We won't be releasing the DayZ server in that meeting, so it should be safe to broadcast. We just have to make sure that someone online will have the ability to kick/mute trolls if it comes to it.

Ah, thanks. I guess I missed that post. Is there a confirmed date and time for the meeting yet, or is that still up in the air?

Even just reading about this is pretty exciting. When I get off work I'll hit up the steam group and see if I can get work as a guard/merc or scavenger.

That's one of the things we're ironing out' date=' but we'll most likely be using Vic's TS3 server for the initial meeting. We won't be releasing the DayZ server in that meeting, so it should be safe to broadcast. We just have to make sure that someone online will have the ability to kick/mute trolls if it comes to it.

Ah, thanks. I guess I missed that post. Is there a confirmed date and time for the meeting yet, or is that still up in the air?

We'll probably have something by tomorrow, we just need to make sure that we'll have troll-kicker and all three of the Triumvirate online at the same time.

Even just reading about this is pretty exciting. When I get off work I'll hit up the steam group and see if I can get work as a guard/merc or scavenger.

We're trying to keep everything on the forums at this moment. We'll probably use PM's to set up initial guard postings and the like, so having everyone who's interested posting their availability and whatnot here would be quite helpful.

We're trying to keep everything on the forums at this moment. We'll probably use PM's to set up initial guard postings and the like' date=' so having everyone who's interested posting their availability and whatnot here would be quite helpful.

[/quote']

I'd be available to help pretty much whenever, whether I have any items at the time to actually be able to help is another matter (I die a lot). :D

I think that Two Urals and 2 cars for two scavenging groups would be a good idea.

Ural parks outside , one guards both the truck and the car , while the scavenging group hits up the grocery stores, factories, and other places.

I don't think it would be cost effective to hit every barn and every open building.

The Ural's could fill up pretty quickly with lots of mid tier loot which would be the best for trading.

The Urals drop off items at a random point, unload, the receiver drives off to the "bank"

TBH, if Heli's worked they would meet the columns and be filled up and fly off to whatever point is the storage site.

I'm very much interested in this project too. Similarly to what striker put some posts ago, I've also been following this thread (and the previous threads) and would like to become involved with the project.

In regards to gathering vehicles (especially the land vehicles), I'm a bit cautious about how they're going to be safely stored. For instance if we all go rush out and by chance we do come across a huey/some jeeps and boats before a trusted set of guards are geared up, they will have to be heavily guarded and relatively hard to conceal them all. I'd probably just say get a few land vehicles first as means of getting gear up north first then start to work on the chopper/boats when in the final stages of establishing the post.

Yet again as striker put, if you are going to decide on a clear server to host this trading post, then don't confirm it on this thread as it potentially puts gear/vehicles at greater risk.

Big Announcement:

Thanks to everyone for your patience. We'll be having a public TS3 meeting at 4:30 PM EST (20:30 GMT) on TS3 server 79.161.200.234:9117 on Wednesday, June 20th. Publik, Vulwulf, and I will be hosting and have the floor for the majority of the meeting. We'll open the floor to the audience towards the end for questions and suggestions on aspects which we might miss.

EDIT: I can't do basic math, apparently. Times adjusted, take heed.

I would be interested in helping out as a guard/scavenger, maybe a merc after my aim and survivability improves some.

Would be nice to have somewhere to go when it gets tedious out there.

Pretty much available before 8PM(-5:00 GMT/central).

Figured I'd post this here instead of just joining, seems a little weird (to me at least) not to request permission (for lack of a better word?) to join.