Michaelvoodoo25

Why no single player option rocket?

Now just calm down, no need for the graveyard just yet!

I love DayZ, have done since I got it in June. I have always wanted a game like this and was ecstatic when I found out about it. I could think of only one thing I would introduce.

What I would like to know is why no dayz single player release? Specifically with the SA? I like to play games by myself now and again, where would be the harm in a single player game? Not everyone would want to play online every time! It would help in online playing gradually building up to playing online.

Just throwing it out there and wondering why one of the best games in history (IMO) has no single player version, think of the things you could do with this. It could be used to expand and dare I say profit from. Not everyone wants online games!

There are lots of adventure and zombie games out there already. DayZ was purely made for multiplayer and as a mod...

Enters 0/50 server.

Plays alone.

There is no SP because there is no story here. You make your own story. You really gonna spend day(z) alone on a SP with literally no objective, killing idiotic zombies? Hell at least L4D SP has co-op AI.

Also..best game in history? Listen man...if you want a great ass single player game. Go get a copy of Final Fantasy 7, Mega Man X, Resident Evil(really anything 1-3), Castlevania: Symphony of the Night...then come back and tell me you really...think this is the best game ever. This game is the best at one thing..providing pieces to make a story, not telling you a story. But I would very strongly argue that(no offense Rocket and Co) this isn't the best game ever...IMO ;)

Edited by Sheepdawg

Single player would not work IMO. Without the human factor it would get pretty boring, very quickly.

For me, the tension comes, not from the zombies, but from the possibility that there is another Survivor out there - and what his intentions are.

For me, no other game has come close to producing these feelings.

Edited by DemonGroover

Yet based on a single player idea? When you play you spawn alone, facing a infected apocalypse!

Contrary to popular belief I would play single player a lot. I can understand the other player element and the tension it brings, but I can also see the benefit from playing alone and boredom would not be a factor due to how I want to play ( please understand not all the time just a nice change of pace) if it's your story then how is it my story when issues stop me from playing as I want?

Perhaps this is not the game for me, but rocket has released a game that pretty much ticks all my boxes, I would like to know why no single player!

Edited by Michaelvoodoo25

I know what you mean. You start off at respawn and you do play a single player game (unless you run straight to your friends) until you are geared up a bit. Then it is the other players that are more of a threat rather than the zombies (until i find a hatchet!)

Imagine though - you could just run to all the best loot spawns, completely care free as you know there will be no snipers, no ambush, no running into a fellow survivor and both crapping your pants as you fire off shots in blind panic. If you just had the zombies to worry about there would be zero threat once you had some decent gear.

It wouldnt be long before you had all the best gear and what then? Sit atop the Cherno Hotel with your Chopper beside you, sniping zombies all day?

Perhaps a Single player game could be added as a Tutorial so players could get to grips with zombie behaviour and the controls?

• Like 1

Or the singleplayer could be for experimenting with things, etc...

• Like 1

Single player would not work IMO. Without the human factor it would get pretty boring, very quickly.

For me, the tension comes, not from the zombies, but from the possibility that there is another Survivor out there - and what his intentions are.

For me, no other game has come close to producing these feelings.

I really want to experience that feeling again but the map hacks and hackers have really ruined that part of the game for many of us. Even on private whitelisted hives you'll catch people using map hacks so there isn't really a safe place to play with legit players to experience the game as intended.

It's really a question of when someone will bee line their way to you rather than if you'll stumble into someone. It's now guaranteed rather than a potentiality. In that encounter, the odds are stacked against you as they already know where you are, what direction you're going, and in some cases what guns you have, what vehicle you're in, and if you have any friends nearby.

Got a bit off track, singleplayer wouldn't be bad if there was more to do than collect guns and vehicles and if the zombies were about 20 times tougher than they are now. Not much point to it right now unless we can create custom scenarios for DayZ with the mission editor.

Listen man...if you want a great ass single player game. Go get a copy of -
Chrono Trigger, Super Metroid, Banjo-Kazooie :lol:

To be honest, DayZ IS one of the most enjoayble games, I've ever played. But I think it's because of the fact that everyone else might be trying to kill you all the time.

I can see why a single player environment would be nice. Sometimes I just can't be arsed with multiplayer games. But the threat and promise that comes with playing online, with people from all over the world, is what makes DayZ great.

Until the zombie AI gets to a point where they actually pose a challenge, playing alone would get really boring really fast.

If you really want to play alone, I'm pretty sure I've seen a video showing how you can create a LAN private hive on your computer. Google it.

Run a server with two slots and make it a Coop game for yourself its fun for a while if you cant do it I have one and could set it up for you and a friend to enjoy pass protected just PM me

It was released ages ago and I used to play it for training purposes but couldn't use it after 1.7.2.4 patch. I want to try it again on 1.7.3 as I noticed the singleplayer option is no longer greyed out. This link provides the download test it out see if it still works I will be:

Link removed.

Edited by Boneboys

All fine and cheers, I wanted rockets take on this! Doesn't that have a console cheat where you could select any weapon? That would kill the game! And servers for a single player?

I wanted to know why he hasn't capitalised on a single player release! fans would like one! You introduce a bloody great mod and a SA, but no single player experience (you want players to feel and relate to the experience)

It would be a great training tool or a decent game either way!

Could work, perhap with AI bandits thrown in, or something along the lines of a military AI group holding sections of the map, things like that could work.

The pvp is good, but when you're wandering through the forest and you hear 'crack' and you are dead because someone was laying in the bushes hundreds of meters away waiting for someone to walk in front of their crosshair it's a bit disheartening. Indication on where the hell bullets are coming from would be good. (people shooting through the map etc), all means I can definitely see why you would want to play a single player game for a while.

It's not out of the realm of reason to want something like that.

I just don't know if there is that many in the community who are after something like that, and then it comes down to, is it worth it for Rocket to produce something for such a small amount of people. . . .

Rocket has had limited resources, haven't been able to do much, but to keep up with the roaring demand on servers, trying to crunch the severe bugs and now shifting his focus to the standalone.

Player interactions make this mod, but they don't dictate your play style or play mode.

If you want to play PvP or coop, you head for the players hubs, if you want to play solo, you live off the land and one of your gameplay challenges becomes how to avoid PvP, how survive on your own, to disengage from combat and seek out the alternative locations on the map, where human encounters are more sparse.

Edited by Dallas

But if dayz came out with single player option, you would sell more as players would want it, even hardcore players would go in just like they do for ARMA 2's armoury, or just to test things out!

Your appealing to both online gamers and offline players, which is a better model than just one!

No, no, and no.

1: We don't need more people to want DayZ. It's incredibly popular already, for good reasons.

2: DayZ is not just a game. DayZ is a full experience.

3: Mass appeal is fucking overrated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9lNbNGbo24

The whole point of DayZ is to put you in the shit. It forces you to deal with real people, just like you are forced to deal with real people in real life. The zombies themselves are not really a challenge, they're just a backdrop. Without that constant fear of being watched by another person, the experience loses meaning. Rocket has clearly stated many times over that his goal is to create a game bold enough to break away from the traditions of the video game industry. If single player was added, everyone who played it would cry out for some kind of script. They would want a story. But this is DayZ. This is your story.

Edited by SalamanderAnder

You should try the Stalker series. It has a good single player survival sandbox type gameplay.

Don't wait for that dev team's next game though, because that will be multiplayer only too. DOH!

Dayz is and should always be online only!

No, I want dayz single player experience, no other game has the atmosphere of dayz nor the fear from being chased by the dead. rocket needs to make one or I'll steal your beans!

I just don't have any single player games, so I want an offline version of dayz!

I'd like the option to play singleplayer in the standalone. Would be great to stick on the laptop for plane journeys or any other time I wanna play something without an internet connection.

No AI bandits or anything, literally just as if it was an empty private hive server would be fine.

• Like 1

One guy has received a Global Ban while running a SP mod.

I asked him how he managed to do that,, he did not reply (I locked the Topic but that does not stop him from contacting me).

Go figure.

Edited by Boneboys

One guy has received a Global Ban while running a SP mod.

I asked him how he managed to do that,, he did not reply (I locked the Topic but that does not stop him from contacting me).

Go figure.

That's impossible. You can only get a global ban if BE is running...if you enable sp, BE does not get turned on. So he probably used a hack in multiplayer

but yes you can enable single player, and its easy. files for 1.2.7.6 were released

Hello there

I have to say I'm with OP on this one.

I *know* the game is touted as an MP game, but it would be nice to play SP, no matter how odd or boring others think, there is a subsection that would like to be able to.

Sometimes an internet connection is just unavailable for some.

I'm not saying write / code (or indeed take any time on) an entire new aspect of the game for SP, but perhaps enable an unsupported SP mode to sandbox in.

AI bandits would be a nice touch but are not important (R may have stripped most combat code out regardless).

Rgds

LoK

• Like 1