rocket

Devblog details on engine architecture for DayZ

Hundred players? Maybe! Thousand? No!

If the player capacity is dependant on map size and with a server cluster that can handle it, I don't see why a thousand players would be out of the question. Of course it would involve having a map the size of a small planet but in theory it should work.

I don't think current maps sizes or Chernarus+ can be stretched to hold more than max hundred players.

There's always the possibility of instancing....why not have Namalsk be just south of Chernarus?
  • Like 9

Thank you to DayZ development team for update.

Testament to RV engine for it's flexibility too. Be interested to see performance gains client side vs server load.

Question: Currently, it can take long periods of time (for me) to join server if lots of people are playing. Will changed engine/network architecture help with issues like this? (Syncing info across clients etc)

Edited by Horde
  • Like 1

There's always the possibility of instancing....why not have Namalsk be just south of Chernarus?

it wloudnt make sense that there are snowy mountains in the south ?? but namalsk in the north now that wloud be awsome ! chernarus+ cloud be the place where you can survive whitout keeping warm etc but wloud be limited in high end gear and namalsk is where you go whene you are a truly ready for hardcore the enemys wloud be brutal there and wloudnt even mind if there where mutants there that wlud make sure that none cloud run/drive from chernarus whitout gear to gear in namalsk

• Like 3

it wloudnt make sense that there are snowy mountains in the south ??

The earth has 2 hemispheres :)

Also, the Snowy Nepalese mountains are south of the Mongolian desert plains.

Also, there probably should never be snow on an island that size in the ocean, due to the amount of salt in the air.

• Like 1

The earth has 2 hemispheres :)

Also, the Snowy Nepalese mountains are south of the Mongolian desert plains.

Also, there probably should never be snow on an island that size in the ocean, due to the amount of salt in the air.

hehe :D lets not get to technical :D but did you understand the rest how i meant ?

Hello there

Interesting stuff. Now I can lecture others with a little more info whilst still being woefully misinformed on the forums.

Whilst some aspects are being stripped down will this mean a possible performance increase or will the improvements/changes "eat up" any freed resources?

Regardless, a splendid post.

Rgds

LoK

Hey Griff, does this change in architecture have any influence over the variety of server locations? So for instance will I still be able to access New Zealand servers in the standalone version?

I only have one thing to say....

w00t NO MORE FLANKING ZOMBIES!!! maybe i can actually shoot them now!

Although personally I am quite content with existing explosives, I feel we must not stand in the path of improvement.

-Winston Churchill

This sums up how I feel about Rockets Tumblr post.

Edited by Toilet

Rocket is from NZ, and wants to start up a studio here in Dunedin one day...I dare say he has places like NZ and other far-reaching countries in mind when it comes to server hosting.

• Like 2

Rocket is from NZ, and wants to start up a studio here in Dunedin one day...I dare say he has places like NZ and other far-reaching countries in mind when it comes to server hosting.

Haven't been to Dunners in fucking yonks. But that is really cool to hear that he wants to start a studio here one day.

Thanks for the reply, I really appreciate it! Haha NZ finally getting some RESPECT!!

Also if that Dunedin studio comes to fruition would Rocket be in any need for someone with a Bachelor of Communication degree? Or will I have to settle for getting an internship at the Manawatu Rugby Union hahaha.

• Like 1

As cool as that sounds...I'm about to sound like a major jerk...

PLEASE CREATE unique maps exclusive to DayZ instead of taking the easy way out guys.

If you just plan to milk the existing ArmA modding community for their maps I'm done caring for this project.

I've already played ALL of the best ArmA maps to death over the past few years (rolls eyes)

I use to stand up to the people bitching about how they purchased ArmA 2 for a FREE Mod and told them how wrong they are/were.

Now it seems we will be purchasing DayZ to play on FREE modder created ArmA 2 maps/content...that's so wrong and ironic :(

*PLEASE tell me this isn't the attitude/direction DayZ's "Stand Alone" is going Rocket?

Edited by Ash712

*PLEASE tell me this isn't the attitude/direction DayZ's "Stand Alone" is going Rocket?

Calm down, Im the forum moderator, not the lead dev :P
  • Like 2

Calm down, Im the forum moderator, not the lead dev :P

Dude, this is the internet...Where people unleash their untamed minds without thinking...Kind of like zombies actually. :P

Can not wait! Hope they increase player numbers too, 80-100 players with the new loot spawns towards the centre of the map will be great!

As cool as that sounds...I'm about to sound like a major jerk...

PLEASE CREATE unique maps exclusive to DayZ instead of taking the easy way out guys.

If you just plan to milk the existing ArmA modding community for their maps I'm done caring for this project.

I've already played ALL of the best ArmA maps to death over the past few years (rolls eyes)

I use to stand up to the people bitching about how they purchased ArmA 2 for a FREE Mod and told them how wrong they are/were.

Now it seems we will be purchasing DayZ to play on FREE modder created ArmA 2 maps/content...that's so wrong and ironic :(

can you PLEASE talk in just one font and use one colour; it's really annoying to read if you do it like that

• Like 3

Yes, this is a great idea, which was already mentioned. Utes, Namalsk and maybe some other islands can surround Chernarus, and be only reachable via a boat or plane!

Oh god, it's beautiful.

I'd heard so many rumors around DayZ using the ArmA 3 engine, then back to 2, then 3 again. It's great to get some clarity on the matter.

Can not wait! Hope they increase player numbers too, 80-100 players with the new loot spawns towards the centre of the map will be great!

Just saying, player numbers per game is not an in-game feature, it's server side, so if the server hosts were to update, which is unlikely, then that would be possible but only then.

Don't get me wrong though - it's beyond a doubt that there will be some extremely large servers, with numbers similar to those you have posted. I'm not making any personal promises but it would be in the best mind for the server hosts to upgrade, as they would be getting more business done.

Edited by Solitude