TGH

What do we expect from DayZ Standalone?

More zombie varities, maybe like big boss ones or something xd

Haha that would be pretty cool tbh ;)

Bugs, hacking security and general game integrity should be top priorities.

That in itself would make me complacent for some time.

I want to see more interaction with the wilderness. Like you can create sniper stands on trees, dig foxholes, set up tripwires to a snare.

I also want animals to be more common but harder to kill. They startle when they heard gunfire or when someone gets near them and actually run instead of hobble along like a crippled turtle.

Another thing would be to have multiple islands in the map and make boats more useable.

Lastly I would like seasonal weather based on timezones. The same scene can be boring..

• Like 1

- Since there will be a lot more buildings you can loot, hopefully good loot will be rarer. It should be a real struggle to find enough food and supplies to live.

- Military gear = very rare

- Ability to construct lean-to for shelter in the forest.

- More severe environmental effects, severe storms, rain, snow, freezing, heat. Protective clothing that will help. Coats, poncho's, gloves, goggles, boots etc...

- The environment and zombies should be such a great threat that pvp is an afterthought unless done for ACTUAL survival.

- Hunting and trapping wildlife, more realistic animal AI, (hard to get close to and much faster)

- Ability to choose from set of character skins/sex after each death.

- Improved melee physics/animation

- Improved inventory (duh)

- Roaming zombies

- A limited but personal stash along with larger stashes that are discoverable by anyone (like tents now).

- No electricity, find generators to turn the lights on in one building that uses very rare fuel.

- Ability to barricade off sections of town areas to create safe zones (only safe from Zeds) Barricades must be crafted and placed.

- Biting zombies that bleed you every time. Don't really like the melee zombies.. DayZ/L4D

- Dismemberment and exploding heads with close range shotguns and large caliber weapons.

- Remove the ability to exploit brightness/gamma (even though I do it :P) and make night vision either .01 % drop or non-existent. Maybe a NV optic/binocular but no head mounted NV or nv scopes. Moving at night should be dangerous and require a light source if the moon isn't shining. Use of flashlights, crafted torches, glow sticks, or a rare LED headlamp would be sweet.

- Just keep delivering tense, paranoid game play that I've always wanted and finally got with this great mod! Keep the price of failure high and chances for success low. :o

The following will be a collection of Standalone facts alongside my own thoughts and opinions.

New and variable diseases with different symptoms and cures are already confirmed. (Rocket said they have already done the motion capture for the vomiting animation)

Complete inventory UI overhaul is already confirmed. This was necessary because they are changing inventory items to actually be items instead of just game data that says "this person has an M16 and two cans of beans." This is also mandatory because they are implementing individual item customization which requires each item be its own separate entity. Item and weapon damage, decay and customization are already confirmed.

Because they are adding more clothing and making clothes have real purpose, I would assume they would also fix all character models and skins to work with all clothing items. They are also taking the best bits of code from private hives, many of which include a vast array of new player skins.

Playing with the gamma settings so you can see at night would be very hard to fix. Live with it. Or get a basement prison doctor to do a surgical shine job on your eyes in exchange for a pack of cigarettes. (+20 cans of beans if you knew this reference without googling it)

I am truly curious to see how they handle vehicles in standalone. I play regularly on a very high vehicle server, however it is balanced by them all spawning with no wheels and random engine/hull/fuel damage. It is very difficult for one person to fix a vehicle on their own, but it is still possible (I use an Alice Pack with 3 tires, plus a Jerry can and another tire in my inventory. Guns are less important than fixing your first car IMO). I think that system, combined with fuel being much rarer, should provide the balance they are seeking. The difficulty in using vehicles shouldn't be finding one when there are wrecked cars everywhere. The difficulty should be getting it running and then keeping it running. Again another example of item decay being an important core mechanic to periphery mechanics.

They are also adding an industrial interior that resembled a machine shop to me. Perhaps these locations could be used for car part and weapon repair?

Variable temperature and environmental effects are also confirmed. This makes securing warm clothing critically important. This, combined with new diseases, will ensure the environment becoming a real threat again. I do not know if they are adjusting hunger against food spawns. I do know that they have rebalanced the locations of water pumps and ponds. I also believe thirst is about where it should be in terms of decay. What I think they should do however is remove soda's curing thirst and have them provide some other benefit. Force thirst to be cured by water alone. Then you could add some kind of purification element to pond water (campfire + boiling?). All you would need is to add a findable cookpot to the toolbelt.

Personally I would have no problems with sandbags and barbed wire *IF* they actually stay removed when you dismantle them. Currently they are used for trolling too much because of their permenance.

Smaller and harder to see items stashes that hold less would be greatly appreciated. Also tents that get run over should be destroyed for good and the items inside, destroyed.

The Airfields should have the generators functioning with the lights still on. They are, and should continue to be, main sources of player encounters. Perhaps also, the only unlimited fuel sources.

In addition to the large number of new loot locations, any additional item sets will vastly increase the RNG in what you find. If in order to get night vision, you needed a broken set, a new battery and optics, it would make the pieces easier to find, but finishing such a valuable item actually harder. Certain new maps I've heard about do something similar to this, but it would probably take the Standalone item overhaul to fully realize such a loot system. Really great military guns will be more difficult to perfect when you could enter the barracks and find scopes, receivers and barrels for every gun except the one you have. Make the high-powered rifles require boku assembly and you've instantly made them harder to get, yet more accessible if you could find parts for them in crashed hum-vees randomly around the map.

• Like 1

Pitch Black

and

Some private servers already have some type of fix which disables adjusting your gamma at night, so I don't understand why it would be a problem for Rocket.

That does not sound like it would work.

Why cant they just log off, turn the gamma up and then log back in?

Also, your beans are denied since you can't prove you didn't google it. Don't you just love the internet?

Edited by Erizid

Something that bothers me to no end is the speed you run in Dayz with rifle equipped.I go back to Arma 2 and love the speeds you move when running and when crouched.The sprinting is also faster than the run speed in arma2 while in Dayz though you run and sprint at same speed.And the speed you move when crouched seems too fast.I take it that Rocket made this to remove the issues of huge distances players have to travel but it just bothers me.And lets not forget that crouched running/running and sprinting all have different sound and visual meter settings within Dayz.Just feel its better to have players choosing stuff like....crouch running is slower but I make less noise and am less visual to running or sprinting etc.

Maybe a poll could be setup to ask the players if they would want the speeds back to Arma2 default for a bit more realism?

I suppose I would go for the usual "Better Anti-Cheat and far less buggy gameplay", because that's what we are looking for.

I think my main idea is the ability to hold out in abandoned buildings, make a base of operations and all. While it may prove difficult, and a vast majority of buildings may bring to see a large increase of boarded buildings.

In that case, I would also recommend a sort of timeline within the server, events that happen under the admins whim, like storms, sharp increase in undead, or scarce supplies except in the most dangerous of areas (I would also propose a wait time for the next event, for how long is depended on the developers).

It would be also nice to see maybe skill advancement (a tactic horribly proceeded with in WarZ[sorry for mentioning]), maybe you earn more skill with a certain weapon than with another, or better survival skills that give better outcomes, such as in cooking or in other skills.

Sounds like a bit to take on, but just suggestions, nothing else.

Crouch walking already does that... It is slower and registers less on the Eye/Ear meter.

I have heard rumblings that players wont be able to jog forever either. We will have to wait and see.

Alot of interesting ideas, hopefully some of them are implemented.

I was curious about a weighted loot system. Such as military weapons such as the AS50 would slow your movement down extremely, especially if you are carrying a second primary in your backpack such as an LMG. I do not want to get too crazy with it but I feel it would make the advantage of sniper rifles a little more balanced because in reality you cannot run through the woods with a 5r0cal sniper rifle as fast as someone carrying an SMG.

I would like the option to holster all weapons so I can have my hands free. This might help a little if you say "friendly" when approaching someone who only shoots you because they are particularly paranoid. I'm sure approaching someone when you hold a raised hatchet doesn't exactly fill the other guy with confidence about your benevolent intentions. The word "friendly" doesn't exactly fit the picture in this case.

Here is how holstering could work:

I have a hatchet, a primary, and a secondary.

If I hold the hatchet, the mouse wheel menu says:

Add Hatchet to tool belt

<Primary>

<Secondary>

If I have my hands free, it says:

<Primary>

<Secondary>

Hatchet

If I hold the primary:

Holster <Primary> (or Shoulder <Primary>?)

<Secondary>

Hatchet

If I then select <Secondary>, there should be an animation where the character first shoulders his primary weapon, and then unholsters the secondary.

This should take a little time, so that there is a small advantage to not holding a weapon. Switching from hands free to primary could for instance be twice as fast as switching from secondary to primary. I'm not going for realism here, so I think unholstering a secondary weapon should take a little longer than in reality. I'm going for extra tension. :)

Also, I would like it if you could see the holstered weapon and the hatchet in the tool belt on the character.

Oh, and of course, with holstering one can have duels. Draw!

More and more great ideas guys keep em coming ;)

Make ammo rarer and give us the ability to use the rifle butt as a weapon when you run out of ammo.

More melee weapons with their own slot so you have a primary, secondary and melee options.

Fuel should definitely be rare, but cars and parts not so rare. Also make it only possible to repair vehicles when you have a toolbox

Greater customisation of your character in terms of age, gender, race and looks. Almost Skyrim like customisation.

Ability to venture underground as well as more enterable buildings - exploring underneath Green Mountain?

All in all i just cant wait for Standalone to come out!

Make ammo rarer and give us the ability to use the rifle butt as a weapon when you run out of ammo.

More melee weapons with their own slot so you have a primary, secondary and melee options.

Fuel should definitely be rare, but cars and parts not so rare. Also make it only possible to repair vehicles when you have a toolbox

Greater customisation of your character in terms of age, gender, race and looks. Almost Skyrim like customisation.

Ability to venture underground as well as more enterable buildings - exploring underneath Green Mountain?

All in all i just cant wait for Standalone to come out!

"Greater customisation of your character in terms of age, gender, race and looks. Almost Skyrim like customisation."

Should of added that one on the list

Hey. What do you all think should be changed about the current Day Z to be implemented into the Standalone version? Or what should be added?

I'm very interested to find out what you all think should be changed ;)

Some things I would love to be changed are. (Deleted all of my points and made a video instead ;)

Nice suggestions, hopefully they make it into the game.

A dream of mine would be sandbox creation of strongholds/fortification. Defending it from roaming hordes, stocking it, ensuring it remains secure.

Or.

An ability to barracade a building, and place an anti-spawning flooring to prevent spawn hopping behind lines. If a player spawns in the non spawn area, they are teleported 20 yards away and outside of the building.

Edited by Banicks

Agreed with everything you have said so far. I just wish there was more to do, they say it's a sandbox game but we dont have the tools to do much.

I had some suggestions but I can't think of them right now.

Also, you have a fine taste in music ;)

Not sure if this has been discussed yet - but I'd really like to see the zombies matter. Right now, they are just an annoyance. I'd like to see them make people think twice about heading in to a town. I really love the PVP aspect right now in this game, and if Rocket can get it to make you have to worry about humans as well as Zeds, then win for us!

Confirmed changes to Zombies for Standalone are as follows:

1. New AI built from the ground up. This means no more serpentine weaving and walking indoors. Zombies will chase you unless you break line of sight and don't make more noise. If you aggro zombies and then run into an open field, you will probably be forced to kill whatever is chasing you.
  2. Zombie model and animation optimization. This means that the skeleton of each zombie will be simplified so that the game isn't processing things like each individual fingerbone for every animation. This will lead to more zombies on the map at the same time along with improved visual animations for their attacks.
  3. New diseases that can be inflicted upon you when attacked. There is already one disease you can get randomly when being hit, but they are adding several new ones that you will have to cure.
  4. I haven't seen this confirmed, but I am going to list it anyway. Players won't be able to jog forever anymore. This isn't a change to zombies, but will affect how you interact with them. It will mean that if you aggro zombies and then try to run away, you better lose them fast or they will catch you eventually.