reuben5150

Why do you even play dayz ?

Back in the day when a bandit skin meant something and the temperature feature worked this was a really great mod.

I have observed player behaviour for a long time now and recently i realised a few things mainly due to playing fallujah and begs the question- why do you even play dayz ?

On a map like fallujah first priority should be finding a vehicle because everything else comes easy after that, gear and loot.

But no, most people choose to run straight to the airfield for a deathmatch where they will die pretty quick, then spend another 20+ minutes running back to do it over again, I guess it's pretty much the same on chernarus except they run to cherno.

At least 80% of this mod is PVP based and IMO that makes it a failure as far as the original concept goes.

I understand why its devolved to this, but don't you think there are much better games for Pvp ?, I do and never played this mod just to shoot people.

I think the best thing Rocket can do for the final mod update would be to fix humanity, because unless the balance changes between bandit/survivor/hero then the mod, for me, will be dead.

Just some thoughts.

• Like 2

Play a server with side chat enabled, people tend to help each other out, I've grouped with other player quite a lot like this. It changes the game imho. I would never trust anyone on a server without it.

There don't seem to be many simulator based free-for-all games out there actually, at least not any with such prominence as DayZ has. A great deal of DayZ players appear to be in it purely for this aspect of the game. Maybe to begin with the challenge was the zombies but they're severely limited in the mod. Skiddies and dupers have played their part too, finding high-tier loot isn't exciting or special anymore. So two of the elemental game mechanics of DayZ are broken and the result is that people PvP for kicks.

There's talk of the standalone and mod being developed in parallel but it seems unreasonably wasteful of resources to do this given all of the limitations that it's been proven that the mod has. The standalone should fix all of these systemic problems I mentioned, I think it's going to be a vastly different experience to what DayZ is now.

agreed this game is majorly flawed and if there is not something done in the stand alone it will be DOA.

I had my 4 day old guy get killed by a sniper yesterday so I figured I would try and do something different. I was spawning around electro so I decided to run into town, find people and hide from them, but direct chat to them," I have no gear, I have no equipment just want to get a few things and be on my way"said many times" I dont care about pvp" every single time I got shot .

the game is call of duty with zombies in the back round. only thing is that it is worse than cod, because you can't see the name of who killed you or where they were. there is no object to the game. stay alive, wait for some douhe to snipe you or combat log you. rinse and repeat.

everyone kos. never saw one person that doesn't. even dudes with no gear. as soon as they find a hatchet they are running after you.

Edited by dannyboy

It's Oct 14th. They're aiming for a November release of the standalone. Do we really need an update for the mod? Unless it reduces the hacking problem I say no.

• Like 4

Its funny how the people suddenly agree with OP. A few month ago and this Thread would be full of real fans that knew what rocket want this mod to be like, screaming "THis is realistic in a fight for ya live you would kill every child in sight and eat their brainz!!!!''

I play for the freedom to do as I please. Unlike every other game out there, DayZ allows me to play as I want. Sure I have to deal with other players and combat, run away, die to them. Isn't that the point? If you expected a "Zombie apocalypse survival game" never gonna happen as long as the rule set is FFO. (for the record I'd have it no other way!) I am sure we the players will be able to impact the world around us more so in the stand alone. (being a sandbox and all) I think alot of you thought DayZ was gonna be something it will never be, as did I. I never expected the game to have so many unimaginative sissies playing it. OMG remove this or that, KoS sucks fix it! (it does suck, but it should be up to us to fix it. We have the same tools as those who KoS) If you want to complain because you are bored, fusterated, or feel it is unbalanced... maybe it isn't the game for you.

I won't argue about humanity being borked atm, there should be multiple skins based on this system. (I think he has something planned in the SA soon enough) But until then we have to deal with what we have.

• Like 1

Play a server with side chat enabled, people tend to help each other out, I've grouped with other player quite a lot like this. It changes the game imho. I would never trust anyone on a server without it.

Yes agreed, we have this enabled on both servers and its much better than without, although it is open to abuse.

I don't know what servers you guys have been playing on. I'm averaging three to four friendlies for every KoS thus far. I've only encountered one deranged kidlet screaming obscenities whilst he murdered me.

Have I just been lucky? Or is it partly the fact that I advertise med supplies on side channel and only carry a hatchet?

It's Oct 14th. They're aiming for a November release of the standalone. Do we really need an update for the mod? Unless it reduces the hacking problem I say no.

Unless the mod is going to be killed off then i'd say yes, as mentioned the humanitiy system is totaly broken but simply by fixing this it could be a game changer, also the fallujah map has great potential imo, but are these maps going to be available in standalone ?

There are many private hive running custom versions of chernarus and custom versions of the mod, i don't see this going away anytime soon unless the standalone is "that good"

I play for the freedom to do as I please. Unlike every other game out there, DayZ allows me to play as I want.

It does feel great, but perhaps allows too much freedom, eg killing without consequence.

Not including hacking the biggest problem with the mod is player behavour, i hope Rocket has learned from the "experiment" because it really tells you a lot about why games do have boundarys, controls and yes, balance.

After years of playing Battlefield and seeing how BF3 turned out, the attraction for me was the hardcore feel of Arma combined with the survival element, hoping that carries through to the standalone and leaves the garbage behind.

Edited by Mutagen_7B4

I think if vehicles were more common/not all taken by a clan and not hid somewhere then the mod would be much better, sadly that is not so.

Having to run, run run run, run and... o-yea run gets very boring. It was ok for the first few months as it was kinda new, but now its just a massive pain. Not worth the trouble.

i never KoS, i usually walk away if i see someone, if i don't see them, i'm dead. i usually inspect a town from faraway before entering, don't go to Cherno or Electro anymore cause i really don't need to.

About vehicles, i can't find bikes anymore, don't know why. In a real apocalypse i wouldn't even try to fix a vehicle i would grab one that works or walk, but i guess we have to do something in the game :), yeah running is getting boring...

So now i have a AS50 (my first one, stolen from a truck), a FAL and a G17, a tent, some meat and coke, morphine... come to think about it, i really don't need to do anything. Except maybe.. hmmm...

I think if vehicles were more common/not all taken by a clan and not hid somewhere then the mod would be much better, sadly that is not so.

Having to run, run run run, run and... o-yea run gets very boring. It was ok for the first few months as it was kinda new, but now its just a massive pain. Not worth the trouble.

Not so bad on chernarus, i know my way around 90% of it without a map, and it feels more like survival sat in a forest cooking some pig, but on Fallujah a vehicle is a must have.

Our cherno server has 80 vehicles i believe.

This mod is a testing ground for ideas. Rocket is the first to admit that some of these ideas have failed. As far as I know they do have plans for making teamwork more important but the pvp element will always remain. Don't forget also that it wasn't designed to be used on those custom maps so they often skew it even further towards the pvp fest due to their layout. Also, many people are just bored and resort to pvp because they've done everything else to death. The standalone will address this by having far more content and concentrating more on survival.

I agree with you about the balance being off at the moment and I know the devs are aware of it, I guess like many other issues with the mod the answer is to wait for the standalone to see what they come up with. It's not an answer many are happy with but that's just how it is.

Hers's Rockets thoughts on PVP and why DayZ is the way it is: http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/520-the-pvp-discussion-thread/page__st__180#entry4308

Edited by Fraggle
  • Like 1

Hers's Rockets thoughts on PVP and why DayZ is the way it is: http://dayzmod.com/f...__180#entry4308

Time will tell whether this "idea" will work or not, and for the record i have no problem with PVP being there, just not in the volumes we see now.

And as for people being bored, let me tell you about my adventures on Fallujah-

First thoughts, wow ! this is huge, a huge desert with nothing but trashed vehicles, then i see the city, wow a huge city this is massive but wheres the loot ? oh yeah look there is dayz building mixed in around the city, actually there tons of loot, really.

Next i find the airfield, hardly anyone on the server, chinooks and other choppers all over the place WTF about 30 barracks ! then i find the Humvee, this vehicle will stay with me for the next 4 days.

For anyone who does not know, the Humvee has armor plating and a mounted 50cal, it can knock down fences and walls and is very tough, only weak point is the wheels, i have been shot though the windows and survived, is it OP ? probably-

"with great power comes great responsibility"

So what now ?, do i just go around shooting everyone and thing i see ? nope.

Lets think, the map is great, if you have a vehicle, but the spawn points are miles away from nothing, ok lets collect some gear then start picking people up, cool, i fill up the humvee with loads of gear from chopper crashes and from the barracks, and set off on the long road.

So this is what i do, instead of killing everything in sight i help people, the humvee helps me do that, ive killed a lot of bandits had some great fun, helped a lot of people and they love it, they always ask for Lonewolf in sidechat and i always help where possible, but whats more, some guys (who played as bandits previously) have asked to join me and play my way, theses guys have even given up hacking to do this.

Its like blackhawk down almost, bandits allover the place and a few survivors ;)

I lose the humvee after about 4 days but now we have a base of operation with lots of vehicles, sometime it gets raided, we go take it back.

So thats my sad little dayz adventure story written over a few glasses of wine, i just wanted to share this as proof that there really is more to do in dayz that just kill ppl, which by the way is not big hard or clever, its pretty easy really, not pulling the trigger is harder.

/sorry for the babble, just wanted to try and express this.

I've recently been playing on a private hive with side chat enabled and 100 fully fixed vehicles. Since switching to that server, I have had a great time playing this game. It's great actually getting a chance to drive a vehicle without spending 5 hours searching for parts and also seeing other players have vehicles.

Props for you for trying to make contact! Feel bad that you met so many dicks. I think you were simply unlucky. Also I feel bad for your inability to stay hidden and in cover while making contact, so I hope you don't think me rude for suggesting that you might still have something to learn in that regard.

This is how I do it: If I go on a server and somebody spawn kill me when I'm still unarmed, or griefers harass fresh spawns at the beach... Instead of staying there to continue taking it up the ass, I leave said server to find one where people don't act like 10 year old dicks running scripts to get kewl gear.

Also, if I suddenly get a bullet to my head while minding my own business, I write it up to my own poor tactical awareness, instead of complaining about it here. Sure, I think KOS is the coward's approach to DayZ, but being a sandbox it's a totally legit way to play the game.

Edit: Oh, and answering your question: Because I find it extremely rewarding to look for gear while dodging zeds. Also, I find it even more extremely rewarding to find and stalk other players and possibly interact with them or defend myself from them. The latter is the most exciting thing I've ever come accross in any game.

Take BF3, for instance. Meeting another player there is... meh. Why? Because there is no buildup. You already know what he's gonna do. Most of the time, you already know where to expect him to be also. Since you know all that, and you don't have to wait for it, there is little to no tension.

However, with DayZ, you might see a player. Then you get time to react to it, and you get to make hard decisions like "Does he look friendly?" Again that gives you choices - all of which can be either advantageous, or fatal. In short, in DayZ you get time to let the tension build up before you meet or engage another player. This creates a very intense kind of tension that makes DayZ the best game on the market right now, regardless of whether you like to play on a high pop or low pop server.

Edited by kebman

Props for you for trying to make contact! Feel bad that you met so many dicks. I think you were simply unlucky. Also I feel bad for your inability to stay hidden and in cover while making contact, so I hope you don't think me rude for suggesting that you might still have something to learn in that regard.

This is how I do it: If I go on a server and somebody spawn kill me when I'm still unarmed, or griefers harass fresh spawns at the beach... Instead of staying there to continue taking it up the ass, I leave said server to find one where people don't act like 10 year old dicks running scripts to get kewl gear.

Also, if I suddenly get a bullet to my head while minding my own business, I write it up to my own poor tactical awareness, instead of complaining about it here. Sure, I think KOS is the coward's approach to DayZ, but being a sandbox it's a totally legit way to play the game.

LOL woot ?

Last time i checked my public hive character was on day 40 with 780 zombie kills and 1 bandit kill- no murders.

comprende ? probably not....

LOL woot ?

Last time i checked my public hive character was on day 40 with 780 zombie kills and 1 bandit kill- no murders.

comprende ? probably not....

Hey dude, you don't have to prove anything to me. ;) I just forgot to mention that most of my answer was to dannyboy, who unsucsessfully tried to make contact with other players. The answer below the edit is for you, Mutagen.

It's fun.

not for those taking the bullet after running around for 30 mins trying to find a fucking tin of coke.

Take a hint, heres a fun shooter for you where you can start with any gear you like (once unlocked) and when you die you can spawn back in the exact same location in 5 seconds, its call Bad company 2, yeah its great, proper ragdoll fx, explosive physics, great vehicle handling, the list of good things is to long.

i reiterate, why do you even play dayz ?

Sure the low TTK and hardcore feel of arma makes shootouts intense, but why do you not just play arma if thats what you want.

Again, player behavour is the problem.

Hey dude, you don't have to prove anything to me. ;) I just forgot to mention that most of my answer was to dannyboy, who unsucsessfully tried to make contact with other players. The answer below the edit is for you, Mutagen.

Sorry m8 but i am getting drunk, maybe use the quote function next time ehh ?