andrewmont

How to hide a camp?

I have managed to acquire a large selection of items and weapons. I'm quite proud of the gear I have. I had what I thought was a good hiding spot however someone has put A vehicle not 300m from my tents. So I've stashed all my best gear in a UAZ and hid it far up north.

How would I go about finding a good spot/server that people won't find?

The plains outside the map seem stupid and obvious as does anywhere along the west of skalka or further north right to the other end of the map. I mean is there anywhere safe? Or would I just need to rent a server which tbh I'd rather not spend the money only too have a safe spot for my camp.

Go into a forest and find a patch of trees thick enough to cover your tents. Don't take any obvious paths to get there either.

I've looked quite a bit but it is hard to find trees that are thick enough to hide one tent let alone a few. The previous place was well hidden however the car close to it made me far too wary to keep them there.

There are places on the map where the foilage is thicker and the trees are closer together.

The best spots IMO are those where there is a mixture of different trees and foilage, all close together, like at 007020. I know, that's West of Skalka, and you ruled that one out already :-)

But you really have to travel around, and look for it. I hope you'll find someplace good.

You need a tight group of pines, you also need to look at the map and make sure you camp isn't located between points of interest and on a potential travel route.

• Like 1

1. When I go looking for tents I go from hill-to-hill and pond-to-pond using the map: so don't place your tents on the top of a hill or around a pond. Tents on the top of hills are especially easy for helicopters to spot.
  2. I will then look from the top of the hill for any tents on it's slopes and across to the slopes of nearby hills: don't place your tent on a hill's slope unless you're sure it isn't visible from the top or from another hill.
  3. The most populated areas will obviously be a riskier place for a tent. Around big cities, military locations and castles are a bad idea.
  4. Traveled routes: use the DayZ DB map to imagine the routes people will take between locations. Examples: Up north water is scarcer so people will take direct routes from popular locations up there to the nearest water source (pond or pump), routes/treelines between deer stands, routes to vehicle spawns, etc.
  5. Just as you don't want to place your tent on a peak you don't want it in the valley either, these have high visibility.

So what you're left with is placing your tent somewhere not traveled often, neither in a valley nor on a peak and inside a cluster of fir trees or bushes. I've done this and have yet to have my tent discovered. The other thing I do is only keep one tent in a given location, redundancy is key don't put your eggs all in one basket. I also keep tents in the same location on other servers so if my tent is emptied by looters or by a tent glitch I can switch server and get some other stuff from there (some might consider that server-hopping though).

This only works to an extent. Everytime I discover a good cluster of fir trees I mark it on the map as a potential tent location which I will then check from time to time when traveling between places. Good luck.

• Like 1

i'd tell you the best place to put tents, but then everyone would know.

Was thinking this. I have some great places, would love to be able to share them, but then I could not use them anymore.

I will tell you though, sometimes the best spots are the most obvious. I had a camp just outside Stary for a long time and was not found, except for when the tents duped and all of a sudden my 1 hidden tent turned into 6 sprawled out tents.

The best place......WAIT FOR IT......... a secret spot no ne knows about.

Well my work is done.Time to nap.

• Like 1

Was thinking this. I have some great places, would love to be able to share them, but then I could not use them anymore.

I will tell you though, sometimes the best spots are the most obvious. I had a camp just outside Stary for a long time and was not found, except for when the tents duped and all of a sudden my 1 hidden tent turned into 6 sprawled out tents.

This.

If you've traveled the map extensively, you know the routes you've taken. Look out in a new direction, go somewhere where there is absolutely no reason anyone would go there and look for potential tent sites. you know you've placed it well, when you take 2-3 tries to re-find it (without a gps). Huge boring swathes of tractless forest are a tent's best friend.

Never put all your stuff in one tent, or on one server. or in the same spot on multiple servers. mix it up, if you want some stuff to survive the glitches, people finding them, and servers going down.

@ devildog - I once hid an ATV in a tree, nice and deep. when I logged back in, next day it was still there - bouncing around like it had 10 cups of coffee! If anyone was anywhere near it they couldn't have missed it flapping around like that. Apparently when it respawned at server restart, it was clipping the tree a little and it flaked out!

Your camp will always be found.. The further away from the coast the less likely to be stumbled upon. Not many people go to the very top of the map looking around.

There are places on the map where the foilage is thicker and the trees are closer together.

The best spots IMO are those where there is a mixture of different trees and foilage, all close together, like at 007020. I know, that's West of Skalka, and you ruled that one out already :-)

But you really have to travel around, and look for it. I hope you'll find someplace good.

The previous spot was SW of Skalka where there's good foliage but I was wary of stumbling across it though there's not much reason to go there. However someone clearly had a similar idea for their camp so I've had to make as hasty a retreat as possible stuffing my gear in my UAZ and new pickup :L at first I thought someone had found my camp as there were markings on map around it. Turns out the people who stashed their truck had done this (silly) so I've got a new truck but need a new camp :L

Your camp will always be found.. The further away from the coast the less likely to be stumbled upon. Not many people go to the very top of the map looking around.

Not true at all. =o

Best way to hide tents is to place them inside of an object or a random building in the middle of nowhere.

Not true at all. =o

Best way to hide tents is to place them inside of an object or a random building in the middle of nowhere.

At one point in time I think every tent will be raided regardless of where it is placed. Something might not be looted from it or not but someone will find it.

The most effective way to conceal your camp is to constantly move it. If you have, or plan to have the quantity of weapons and items that I once had, [countless is an understatement] then a URAL/V3S is the best way. Preferably the V3S as it is is easier to conceal due to the colour of its paint [and thus even those who own a UH-1Y may not be able to spot it if hidden correctly]. 200 items and 50 weapons.

Move it as many times as possible. Try harder to get to, more 'out of the way' places to hide your truck/car. Try places more...in the center of the map. But try well. This is all I can say as I cannot give away the best area in the map, as that would defeat the purpose.

The most effective way to conceal your camp is to constantly move it. If you have, or plan to have the quantity of weapons and items that I once had, [countless is an understatement] then a URAL/V3S is the best way. Preferably the V3S as it is is easier to conceal due to the colour of its paint [and thus even those who own a UH-1Y may not be able to spot it if hidden correctly]. 200 items and 50 weapons.

Move it as many times as possible. Try harder to get to, more 'out of the way' places to hide your truck/car. Try places more...in the center of the map. But try well. This is all I can say as I cannot give away the best area in the map, as that would defeat the purpose.

That would be a beast I have a UAZ and a pickup. Also had a tractor but just left it as didn't really need it. Ill see if I can get myself one of them but I'd imagine it'll be very hard to find.

Thanks for all the responses. Have an idea of where ill look for some good spots but can only be hopeful. I don't know but am i likely to find any servers that are mostly empty?

i'd avoid the borders cause i search them all in every server i play..i have a couple of amazing spots but can't tell..you know

Unfortunately the chopper will see most things from the air since forests up there are practically see through. Just assume your shit will be found at some point. On one of the servers I play on (private hives) I found that green truck Vs3 i think. Someone had just parked it 100m off the road in some woods. I'd taken it and hidden it in a much better place but it will be found just don't leave ur best gear in their. Always RTB and always log out with the good stuff in ur packs.

My tip is don't go overboard trying to snuggle your tents in between trees. I've crammed a few balls-deep in clumps of pines, with only a pixel or two you can place your cursor over to access it, thinking 'Wow, not only is this tent almost invisible, but even if they find it they probably won't even be able to access it before getting frustrated and leaving!' Then the server restarts and when the trees are redrawn, my tent ends up clipped in a pine and becomes completely inaccessible.

Edited by DustyMonolith

Would love to give away locations that i've found usefull but unfortunately as others have said i'm still using them.

If people do have good spots and are willing to share then if you could pm me. I understand if people don't want to do this but it would be appreciated :)

The best place......WAIT FOR IT......... a secret spot no ne knows about.

Well my work is done.Time to nap.

Going over an old thread and thought this post needed a bump.

Do people even build camps anymore? I thought everyone just PvP in the twin cities of death?