rocket

Consolidated Weapons/Equipment suggestions

Less ammo and less fuel being freely available

Ammo and fuel should be precious items that you are afraid to use due to the fear of running out.

If you only have 3 bullets left for your sniper rifle you might think long and hard about sniping a noob and bringing nearby Zeds down on your ass.

• Like 1

i'd say no thermal scopes... these weapons don't really fit into a zombie apocalypse... or at least make them dependend from (very rare) batteries... i don't think that a real thermal scope would last longer than... let's say 2 or 3 days...

• Like 1

Pertaining, to .22LR rounds can you consider adding ammo bricks. These would be used for storage,and can be filled with loose rounds you find. They can hold about 100 rounds, and used for all .22 caliber firing weapons.post-118692-0-78039300-1351115504_thumb.post-118692-0-78039300-1351115504_thumb.

Edited by Pvt. James Duke

Collected musing from other threads:

Make all military-grade weapons (or maybe just the sniper rifles) require assembly.

Scopes, barrels, receivers, stocks and magazines all be seperate items to be found and assembled from non-military item spawns. Or have gun pieces/ammo spawn in wrecked hum-vees and other minor loot locations. Hell you could even get gun parts from military zombies you kill.

I also believe killing military zombies should be a primary source of military ammo, rather than scavenging it.

You could also have semi-auto versions of military guns found in residential, with the gun part for full auto being available to find elsewhere. This would make military weapons more accessible and harder to complete at the same time.

• Like 1

i'd say no thermal scopes... these weapons don't really fit into a zombie apocalypse... or at least make them dependend from (very rare) batteries... i don't think that a real thermal scope would last longer than... let's say 2 or 3 days...

1-2 hours*.

It really depends on the type of thermal. I've used monocular thermals (which were actually pretty damn nice) that ran on one or two AAs and could last about a day or two, but they're not for long distances, much like NVGs (the issue being focusing, you can't see close and long range at the same time). The thermal scopes I used on weapons like the M240B or M2 .50 Cal MG in my gun truck ran on about 9 AAs and would only last me for one convoy and half of the return trip, so roughly 1.5 hours. Adding batteries in to the mix would definitely hinder the use of Thermals, especially for a sniper just camping out waiting to find someone.

Given that they use AAs, and AAs are pretty common, I don't exactly know just how rare you'd want to make batteries... but rechargeable batteries and battery charges could be implemented and extremely rare, requiring the power generator or a vehicle to power the charger.

• Like 1

I would love to see the Tac 50 in the game but I know a lot of others wouldn't. Maybe incorporate some ACE features for sniping? Windage for sure though. Sniping should be a skill, not point, click, kill.

R700's have 4-5 round internal mags depending on caliber round....

Thats funny I own 2 and the newer version has a removable box mag.

Antidepressants,

When you comrades die on your hands and you see how they were teared apart by zombies and everythyng around walking and rotting it's time to panic atacks!

Random chance in extreme situations.

And when You are totally bandit,your mind and emotions control should be in bad shape,cause only a complete psycho can kill humans withous a mind damage.

So antidepressants is vital for people who want to take a role of killin-all-that-moves lone wolf.

And if there is a pack of bandits and one of them is in uncontrollable panic,he could not only just run around and screm or hide,but also has small cnance to shoot his compadres in their head and loudly laugh after that.

Also this drugs should slightly decrases the reaction (especially in melee fight and driving transport).

Antidepressants are totally not compatible with alchohol.

So this shoul make bandit's boring life to become a wonderful days full of surprises.Hard dayZ.

Edited by Answord

Antidepressants,

When you comrades die on your hands and you see how they were teared apart by zombies and everythyng around walking and rotting it's time to panic atacks!

And when You are totally bandit,your mind and emotions control should be in bad shape,cause only a complete psycho can kill humans withous a mind damage.

So antidepressants is vital for people who want to take a role of killin-all-that-moves lone wolf.

And if there is a pack of bandits and one of them is in uncontrollable panic,he could not only just run around and screm or hide,but also has small cnance to shoot his compadres in their head and loudly laugh after that.

Also this drugs should slightly decrases the reaction (especially in melee fight and driving transport).

So this shoul make bandit's boring life to become a wonderful days full of surprises.Hard dayZ.

Are you saying that soldiers are psychotic. I'm rather offended that this is how the sacrifices of me and my brothers are seen.

Are you saying that soldiers are psychotic. I'm rather offended that this is how the sacrifices of me and my brothers are seen.
Of course not!My brother(cousin) was a professional soldier too,frontier guard on the border between Afghanistan and Tajikistan and he almost died when his chopper was hit by drug dealers caravan from the forest,only two of his crew were alive after heli crash(more then 10 his comrades died that day).It was a deep mind trauma.He served a couple of years till his contract ends,then he retired.He don't like to talk about this.I respect him very much cause he fought with heroin dealers and defended my country of this disgusting threat.

I want to say that a lot of veterans after war needed a psychological help and rehabilitation.Many of them have a depression,drunk a lot and have a bad dreams,insomnia.It's psychological trauma and very big stress that can lasts for years.

I think zombie apocalypse should be even worse,because you always feel alone and tense.And You know that it will never ends for sure.

Even if you are the best soldier in the world,professional and disciplined,and if you are doing cruel things like killing other people(even in self-defense purpose),you should pay for that by your mental health,cause mind is really fragile thing,even for specially trained people.

So humanity is not an empty thing.It's very hard to stay mind healthy human in such circumstances like apocalypse.

Edited by Answord

I don't really agree with you, but I do see how modern media and culture tries to show violence as universally evil, and those for whom it is necessary as somehow unhinged, or different from other "normal" people.

As much as I want to see every cool firearm depicted digitally in DayZ, I would much prefer to improve the accuracy of the ballistics. I would like to see some system that takes both the firearm and the cartridge into consideration. The cartridge would have a table of muzzle energy and velocity for different barrel lengths. Taking this into consideration, the M16a2 with a 20" barrel would do more blood damage and have a flatter trajectory than the M4a1 with a 14.5" barrel. The blood damage should be tied to the projectile energy, meaning that if you're within 50m one shot with the m16 might bring a zombie down, but the same shot would have to be done at 25m with the m4. This also would make the STANAG SD substantially less powerful.

Not all actions will function with the subsonic variant of their chambering, and it is unlikely that the M4 with a suppressor would be able to cycle the action as there just isn't enough gas volume to overcome the recoil spring. A suppressor on a rifle does not mean that it cannot fire the full powered cartridge. The advantage to the suppressor is that it eliminates your muzzle flash and reduces the discharge to a safe sound pressure level where you do not need to wear hearing protection. The projectile will still produce a super sonic shock wave. I think that it would be far more interesting to be able to use the suppressed rifle with STANAG ammunition. You would be far more effective against other survivors, but the shock wave would really agitate the zombies and you'd have a serious problem on your hands. When you're looting, you load STANAG SD, and you effectively have a 30 round bolt action rifle that you have to make headshots with, but you pretty much can't be heard and you won't piss off zombies.

Cleaning should be the only possible consideration for weapon maintenance and only effect the likelihood of a jam. The only modifications should be exchanging optics and mounted devices as long as the firearm has the correct mount. This would mean a number of the modern western military firearms would have compatible optics, and many of the eastern designed firearms would have compatible optics. It would be nice to be able to carry the aimpoint and exchange it on the DMR, and your aimpoint/scope only occupies 2 slots, instead of 10 for a whole extra rifle.

I realize that asking for the correct animations for each firearm would be staggering, so I think better modeling of the ballistics and interchangeable optics and mounted items is a reasonable compromise!

There are 40+ weapons in DayZ not counting the hatchet and the crowbar and many of them are pointless. How many different versions of ak74 and m4a1/m16 do you really need in a game?

As many as possible, as it is I would love to have the Sa-58P in the game because I used to own the semi-automatic version of it. Great little rifle, but no more effective than the AKM. It's like having different brands of clothing and cars. Everyone has different preferences. This is why the AR15 does so well, because it can be made into whatever the end-user wants it to be. I am a huge supporter of having as much choice as possible. I would love to see all of the HK Roller delayed family from the MP5 to the HK53 and everything in between.

Please... play arma2 if you wanna full out war with every toy. thats just rediculous.

In my opinion it is reasonable to assume that there was an all out war against the infection and the infection won. The survivors that remain are somehow more resilient to the infection. There would be a vast supply of military weapons and hardware available because there would have been no one other than survivors to come clean up the weapons and ammunition. Weapons and ammo would not be difficult to find, the difficult thing would be finding other people who wouldn't just shoot you on sight.

If I were to hazard a guess, I would say the infection was airborne as if it were passed on just by contact the military would have had no trouble containing the infection.

Actually, glint does reflect when sunlight hits some scopes in real life, given the conditions. So, while military grade rifles will not glint, civilian scopes should. Good way to have it in game, seeing military scoped rifles would be much more rare anyways.

As I've stated above, any use of the military to combat the infection is going to mean a substantial supply of weapons available. Since there is no longer a military presence, as they seem to be dead or infected, there would be a substantial supply of different military grade weapons. However, if DayZ was changed to include infected and military NPCs, and only the military NPCs had the good weapons, then survivors would have to mount coordinated assaults against military units to get those good weapons. The military NPCs would engage all non-military targets with out discretion as the situation is already out of control. The military NPCs would represent the best fighting units left, as they clearly have survived that long. In the previous example, I would have one or two military units controlling key areas, such as airports or airfields. Perhaps this could be expanded to include roving patrols, instead of helicopter crashes. A group of survivors has to ambush a patrol to upgrade their weaponry and gain control of a UAZ.

• Like 1

I don't really agree with you, but I do see how modern media and culture tries to show violence as universally evil, and those for whom it is necessary as somehow unhinged, or different from other "normal" people.

This isn't what i mean.I didn't want to insult You.

I mean,if you are fighting and killing to defend innocents or your squad mates,it's the one thing.But if you killing all survivors that you can see,its completely different thing,cause most of them are friendly or non-aggressive,and you are killing them "just in case" or for fun.And this can't be free for your "karma" and mind.

Only if you fight for the right thing can decrease the damage to your mind and soul,but not totally removes it,cause nothing is free in this world.But people with strong will and professional psychological help and training can live with that.But you can't kill 1000 humans for the good reasons and feel nothing after that.And if you are really feel nothing about this,then it's a bad sign.

We all are humans,and there is no "normal" or different humans in this world if You ask me.The only thing is different between us is what choices we made and what consequences follows.

Edited by Answord

As much as I want to see every cool firearm depicted digitally in DayZ, I would much prefer to improve the accuracy of the ballistics. I would like to see some system that takes both the firearm and the cartridge into consideration. The cartridge would have a table of muzzle energy and velocity for different barrel lengths. Taking this into consideration, the M16a2 with a 20" barrel would do more blood damage and have a flatter trajectory than the M4a1 with a 14.5" barrel.

Sorry buddy, right away.... The difference between these two is TOO unpredictable for them to incorporate anything other than an accuracy difference between the two in the game. If you go out to a range and place several paper targets along side each other, you'll notice that M4s unpredictably tumble their .223 rounds around 150m. Sometimes you have a straight trajectory, sometimes you don't.Yes, a straight trajectory means more penetrating power and more damage with the funneling towards the exit wound, but you cannot make it realistic in the game without adding unneeded engine mechanics. The only REAL difference between an M16 and an M4 is the accuracy and tumble. The rounds were originally developed to tumble, so penetrating power isn't even a factor that should be considered in any capacity. The M4 doesn't lose power over the M16 given that the bolt and bolt return are exactly the same, the only issue being the gas fedback through the barrel to the buffer spring for a clean bolt return without a jam. At this point, any power less is entirely negligible dur to the gas return being an "after-the-fact" occurrence to a round being fired. Having a better understanding of gun mechanics might actually make the real reality seem a little more real to your COD standards :)

Again, with the supression. This is all AFTER the fact. The supression comes from the muzzle, not the chamber. The chamber still has the same amount of energy as ever being released through your ejection port, which (obviously) releases more energy than the game leads you on to believe. But supressors work on the gases released from the muzzle at the instance of the round leaving the barrel, where the rest of the noise is generated. Supressors just absorb and dissipate the gas, energy and noise more evenly and fluidly, which can reduce the volitility of the noise caused at the instance of firing a round. The point of a supressor is to allow someone to fire a weapon safely without having to worry about damage to their ears. Suppressors are attached in place of your normal muzzle break or flash supressor, so they just work off of what would normally be lost anyway. At most, they affect accuracy purely due to the fact that the round is required to travel through it after the muzzle.

Navy, given that you have "navy" in your name, you were never quite trained in the weapon disciplines you deserved to be trained in. Should've joined a real-man's branch and learned the truth. Doesn't surprise me you've come to the conclusions you have. Once you get to actually use these weapons in the given configurations, you can realize the differences in handling and the advantages.

Sorry buddy, right away.... The difference between these two is TOO unpredictable for them to incorporate anything other than an accuracy difference between the two in the game. If you go out to a range and place several paper targets along side each other, you'll notice that M4s unpredictably tumble their .223 rounds around 150m. Sometimes you have a straight trajectory, sometimes you don't.Yes, a straight trajectory means more penetrating power and more damage with the funneling towards the exit wound, but you cannot make it realistic in the game without adding unneeded engine mechanics. The only REAL difference between an M16 and an M4 is the accuracy and tumble. The rounds were originally developed to tumble, so penetrating power isn't even a factor that should be considered in any capacity. The M4 doesn't lose power over the M16 given that the bolt and bolt return are exactly the same, the only issue being the gas fedback through the barrel to the buffer spring for a clean bolt return without a jam. At this point, any power less is entirely negligible dur to the gas return being an "after-the-fact" occurrence to a round being fired. Having a better understanding of gun mechanics might actually make the real reality seem a little more real to your COD standards :)

Well you are incorrect here. The differences are very predictable between the two rifles. Using a professional grade chronograph(Kurzzeit PVM-21), I have measured the muzzle velocity from both the 14.5" barrel and the 20" barrel. With my plinking ammunition, which I admit is on the slow side, tested in both rifles I achieved an average of 2686.7 ft per second, with a span of 194.4ft/sec and a standard deviation of 41.6ft/sec with 881.2ft/lbs of muzzle energy in the 14.5" barrel. With the 20" barrel I average 2931ft/sec, with a span of 113.4ft/sec, a standard deviation of 32.2ft/sec and muzzle energy of 1049.1ft/lbs. That's 245ft/sec faster and 167.9 ft/lbs of muzzle energy more that the m16 has over the m4. With the projectile starting at a lower muzzle velocity and energy out of the m4, it is starting at a disadvantage and will not have the effective range, or as flat as a trajectory.

The behavior of the projectile has no effect on the energy that it has been provided with. The projectile will behave the same way between each barrel length, but at different distances from the muzzle. So the projectile will become unstable at a greater distance from the shooter with the M16 vs the M4.

I am having a hard time believing that you understand the differences mechanically between the M4 and the M16. The m16, with the longer barrel and longer gas tube, runs at a lower operating pressure than the M4. The M4 has the gas port closer to the chamber which means that it operates at a higher pressure. Changes in buffers, recoil springs are common to get the rifle to operate correctly. The operation of the action is noticeably more violent with the M4 due to the higher pressures seen at the gas port. The projectile remains in the barrel as the gas is fed down the tube towards the bolt carrier. The vast majority of the energy needed to operate the action is collected before the projectile leaves the bore, however the timing of the action ensures that the bolt does not unlock before the projectile has left the barrel.

Please explain to me what CoD has to do with real life operating mechanics of firearms?

Again, with the supression. This is all AFTER the fact. The supression comes from the muzzle, not the chamber. The chamber still has the same amount of energy as ever being released through your ejection port, which (obviously) releases more energy than the game leads you on to believe. But supressors work on the gases released from the muzzle at the instance of the round leaving the barrel, where the rest of the noise is generated. Supressors just absorb and dissipate the gas, energy and noise more evenly and fluidly, which can reduce the volitility of the noise caused at the instance of firing a round. The point of a supressor is to allow someone to fire a weapon safely without having to worry about damage to their ears. Suppressors are attached in place of your normal muzzle break or flash supressor, so they just work off of what would normally be lost anyway. At most, they affect accuracy purely due to the fact that the round is required to travel through it after the muzzle.

If your reading comprehension was a little stronger you would have been able to read that I was making a distinction between subsonic and standard loaded rifle ammunition. It takes significantly less propellant to achieve subsonic velocities(~1116fps), the less propellant means there isn't enough gas pressure in the bore to operate an action that is designed for the pressures it would take to drive the projectile at over twice as fast.

You are quite correct, the suppressor does nothing until after the projectile has passed the crown of the muzzle and the remaining propellant gases escape from the bore. The suppressor functions in the same way that a car muffler does. It uses baffles and chambers to allow the gas time to expand in a controlled fashion, changing the sound pressure level created. When the propellant gases are allowed to escape unimpeded the rapid change of pressure makes the noise we know as a gun shot.

Navy, given that you have "navy" in your name, you were never quite trained in the weapon disciplines you deserved to be trained in. Should've joined a real-man's branch and learned the truth. Doesn't surprise me you've come to the conclusions you have. Once you get to actually use these weapons in the given configurations, you can realize the differences in handling and the advantages.

I, sadly, have not had the honor of serving my country in any of the forces. However, the Navy in my name is a personal reference to my grandfathers service during World War 2.

The conclusions I have come to are based off empirical evidence collected from my personal experience with these firearms. Math doesn't lie, there is a ton of this information available online, look up hand reloading on google, do a bit of reading and you'll quickly realize that I am at least semi qualified to post what I have.

Edited by NavyCuda

just drop it shaine lol all the ballistics in every gun would take up tons more CPU then it already does, peoples computers would probably catch fire shooting at someone 600m away with a 5.56

Rocket would have do do every instance differently. with some rounds the bullet will cause a more severe injury at slower velocities, for instance the 5.56 nato is one such round. The instability being the difference my S&W MP 15 has a 16.5 in barrel with a 5.8 to 1 in twist to the barrel. A hit to center of mass at sub 300 m will cause more damage than a .308 at similar range. Why? the bullet is very unstable, As it is traveling it actually becomes more unstable, untill it become critical aroung 325m and flies off in a random direction.

Rocket would have do do every instance differently. with some rounds the bullet will cause a more severe injury at slower velocities, for instance the 5.56 nato is one such round. The instability being the difference my S&W MP 15 has a 16.5 in barrel with a 5.8 to 1 in twist to the barrel. A hit to center of mass at sub 300 m will cause more damage than a .308 at similar range. Why? the bullet is very unstable, As it is traveling it actually becomes more unstable, untill it become critical aroung 325m and flies off in a random direction.

I realize that each projectile behaves differently, however I think using the amount of energy in the projectile is a fairly reasonable means of calculating blood damage. It isn't perfect, but it would be an improvement over the blood damage model as it is now.

just drop it shaine lol all the ballistics in every gun would take up tons more CPU then it already does, peoples computers would probably catch fire shooting at someone 600m away with a 5.56

If you're going to post my name online, at least spell it correctly.

I think perhaps some items shouldn't fit in a backpack. Like jerry can's, or vehicle parts. Only way I can see this work differently, is for having to carry such items with your own hands, possibly carried by two people.

My apologies, for a somewhat off topic post.

Edited by Treehugger
  • Like 1

I realize that each projectile behaves differently, however I think using the amount of energy in the projectile is a fairly reasonable means of calculating blood damage. It isn't perfect, but it would be an improvement over the blood damage model as it is now.

I guess what I was trying to say is that, there are other factors that make a, sometimes rather large difference, when lead meets flesh. Personally i think your basis is good but not fleshed out (no pun intended). The biggest thing I would like to see altered in the full game is making some of the weapons less accurate. For instance in Electro I was nearly killed by some jackass bandit from nearly 600m out before my buddy took him out with a CZ, the pos had an MP5 and got me down to just over 2000 blood.

Antidepressants,

I have already thought about the very same thing and I think it is close to rocket's first idea of "experience".

Sometimes game mechanics have to be more subtle than bandit skins and humanity gauge to bring that unsettling/culpability feeling. I don't necessarily need my avatar's cardiac pressure to go up when mine already does, but I don't want myself to cope with others PTSD's symptoms such as visual or auditive hallucinations IRL. That'd be great to have those ingame, especially at night.

And it could develop an important aspect of the game which would be the avatar's psychologic survival and erase the present, simplistic cleavage of good/bad. It may also bring back the trading and even some territory control or "traficking". If the guy simply can't aim his weapon because of the fear/panic/hallucinations induced shakes or if he can't locate a sound properly because he's being deluded, his survival is in danger.

If you can break your avatar's leg, you SHOULD be able to break his pysché. That implies being able to repair it, so yes, antidepressant drugs with their pros, cons and quality and quantity are a good idea.

Sanity has to be integrated by creating a player's new needs.

i.e.:

- Shots/zombies/dead players induced insanity leveling. Basicly: you will become more or less crazy at some point.

- Hallucinations once a certain level (can be a ratio of time and elements) reached can't disappear, but you're not subject to them for basic stuff such as firefights, the sight of death or this kind of things.

- Let's say you are a veteran survivor, you can choose not to take drugs but you will be more subject to tiredness and occasional shakes for the said basic stuff, but you will have less hallucinations with time.

- You can choose to be sober but everyone has to become "crazy" the more stuff they see.

- Your sanity could be kept by sticking with people, but if they die, the longer you've been sticking together will get you the worse hallucinations.

- The night or eerie weathers makes things worst, generally.

- Different drugs with antidepressant characteristics:

- Benzodiazepins:

pros: fights heavy auditive and visual hallucinations, shakes and pain, hunger.

cons: dangerous with alcool, makes the tiredness and focus more difficult (effects fought with sleep), reduces stamina.

note: the more shit you see, the longer you survive or kill, the more you will be subject to its use if you want to cope with the hallucinations.

- Alcool:

pros: fights infections and fear (shakes+hallucinations) with time, momently increases stamina.

cons: with time affects the aim and displacements, on higher doses makes you vomit and becomes incompatible with other drugs and food.

note: you can become inconscious for a long period of time but the effects will start to disappear once you've woken up.

- Amphetamines:

pros: fights hunger in short time, lots of stamina/adrenaline, fights pain and increases focus abilities

cons: increase thirst and shakes with time, used on a long time it brings more hallucinations such as high luminosity but reduces pain.

- Coffee:

pros: fights tiredness and can bring a stamina boost on a short period of time, reduce thirst

cons: increase hunger and shakes with time, can bring diarrhea, on a long period of time brings auditive hallucination.

- Painkillers:

pros: a bit like benzodiazepins but they only fight the shakes and hunger.

cons: makes you tired.

etc

General notes: tiredness (aiming and moving difficulties aswell as being subject to hallucinations more easily) can be fought with short 5 minutes naps (sleep).

You can easily fight the shakes or they even tend to disappear with time but hallucinations are more difficult to deal with.

This could have been way more detailed with more gameplay ins and outs but I think it's enough to show some of the potential and implications of sanity/drugs in DayZ

Edited by PlasticMonkey

PlasticMonkey - How does that take into consideration people who can just turn off their emotions and perform ruthlessly? I think that emotions are too large of a variable to convincingly portray digitally. DayZ as it is gets me emotionally stirred up enough that I have difficulty aiming, my hands get sweaty and I'm constantly analyzing the situation. My heart pounding in my chest is enough movement to disturb my aim, and when my hands start to sweat the trackball does not respond the way I would like it to. I would not enjoy to be further hindered by the game, I want the game to be my window, representing my reactions to the situations at hand. I don't want to be told what emotions I should be feeling.

Is there a way that the game play could be improved to evoke a larger emotional response from the player making them more likely to make natural choices? I hope so, but I don't believe that forcing unnatural emotions on the player is going to improve their game play. I would prefer not to see any emotional content from the character, I have enough of my own.

Interestingly enough, this does relate to the topic at hand, because the larger selection of accurately portrayed firearms, the more immersed into the game many of us will feel, adding to our own emotional content.

• Like 1

PlasticMonkey - How does that take into consideration people who can just turn off their emotions and perform ruthlessly? I think that emotions are too large of a variable to convincingly portray digitally. DayZ as it is gets me emotionally stirred up enough that I have difficulty aiming, my hands get sweaty and I'm constantly analyzing the situation. My heart pounding in my chest is enough movement to disturb my aim, and when my hands start to sweat the trackball does not respond the way I would like it to. I would not enjoy to be further hindered by the game, I want the game to be my window, representing my reactions to the situations at hand. I don't want to be told what emotions I should be feeling.

Is there a way that the game play could be improved to evoke a larger emotional response from the player making them more likely to make natural choices? I hope so, but I don't believe that forcing unnatural emotions on the player is going to improve their game play. I would prefer not to see any emotional content from the character, I have enough of my own.

Interestingly enough, this does relate to the topic at hand, because the larger selection of accurately portrayed firearms, the more immersed into the game many of us will feel, adding to our own emotional content.

Because I think that this kind of apocalypse would set the counters to zero considering the amount of traumatic experiences involved (and on the other hand everyone's character is running at the same speed etc) Thus making everyone's character subject to gameplay induced psychologic and physiologic problems (everyone can break his leg, I don't see why stress wouldn't apply on your character's unvolontary body behavior). Take the suppression effect in ACE mod (not sure) and the Darkest Hour mod for Red Orchestra 1 for example. It's the perfect depiction of an unvolontary body reaction to its environement (in this case a bullet landing near the player) implemented as a gameplay logic. Basicly the screen becomes blurred if a bullet passes or hits something close to you, and the more bullets pass, the less your avatar is able to aim. You have to take cover so this "stress" levels down. And this becomes real stress.

I'm talking about this kind of effect, not the emotions. You will have them or not (emotions) but there are things your body does you have no control over. Subtle things that can become impeaching at some point and ask your concentration and management of emotions IRL. The unvolontary reactions (body ones) can be treated with the proper medication and is just an extent of the whole damage model.

But as I said, it should only be triggered by a certain amount of events over time, depicting the amount of psychologic stress you (IRL) has to go through in parallel of your avatar. Because we all do, and even if we don't a human brain is a human brain, there are things we don't understand and can't control so yes, again, your character should be able to break his psyché and maybe repair it with pills and alcool as we can fix their broken legs and wounds. And if he doesn't, small hints of madness there and here. And it could just be a grey color grading or even sprites of survivor mates ghosts in the distance, small screen shakes or whispering voices on a near silent volume, that kind of stuff which would be close to the actual cold, pain and loss of blood.

Edited by PlasticMonkey
  • Like 1