rocket

Consolidated Weapons/Equipment suggestions

I think a good addition to the melee system is the possibility of walking stealthily elements using stealth to surprise other players, perhaps a system of shoes that can degrade over time and need to be replaced and would affect its speed and noise when walking and running.

What about Tablets to purify water? If you do not add them to the water you have some probabilities of falling down patient, thnx.

• Like 1

I agree, tanks are not for DayZ! Go play Arma if you want high end gear and tanks! This is supposed to be a survival mod/game, and how can it be surviving when you have a tank, ghillie and as50?

• Like 3

The only armored vehicle i can see in Dayz is cash messenger armored car(or prison transport) upgraded with light machineguns or KPV heavy machine gun(or even AG-17 grenade launcher),which was scavenged from old broken BTR,repaired and installed on civillian vehicle by handy engineer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BTR-80

http://en.wikipedia....avy_machine_gun

http://www.rbs.ru/vt...az/e-vodnik.htm

http://www.rbs.ru/vt.../gaz/e-3934.htm

http://www.rbs.ru/vt...az/e-39371b.htm

http://www.vestnik-r...news-4-1422.htm

Or a tractor upgraded by scavenged armor and guns from broken APC or old broken tank.

http://thedonovan.co...d_tractors.html

http://www.historum....57?postcount=49

http://www.deadprogr...d-tractor-tank/

Maybe even the main gun and armor,taken from The T34 Monument :D

http://dayzmod.com/f...e-t34-monument/

Or a simple hummer/UAZ,reinforced by kevlar vests(you should kill alot of military/police zombies to collect them)

Edited by Answord

I'm just concerned about 2 things in the standalone, im noticing that most people are just focusing on weaponry which for its just secondary, we should focus on survival terms and how zeds can be more dangerous ill suggest a couple of things and ill try to be quick! first of all zombies or zeds or whatever you wanna call em, im concerned about them not being dangerous enough in the standalone, i have seen many suggestions of how they should change but none of em seem a real treat or challenge for the players, some time ago i made some decent suggestions on how they can be improved in every term and im gonna post the suggestions real quick.

Zombie skills, what is this? simple they should have some kind of animations or skills that can be really dangerous to deal with for example:

1- Zombies have a chance to grab on you for a couple of secs biting you in the process and immobilizing you for a few seconds, imagine the horror the player would feel and the team work that it would require for the game, lone wolves will have a hard time but they can still play alone it will just be harder.

2- Zombies have a change to make you drop your primary weapon when you are being overrun by them! i just cant imagine the tension you would feel is that happened and you are being overwhelmed

3- Zombies should not be able to pass through doors and stuff instead of that they should be able to break through doors and windows by hitting em! it would be fantastic to see you cornered in a building and see a bunch of zombies moaning and breaking through the building! i would shit bricks!

4- Zombies in berserk mode (lets say really pissed off infected) should have a chance that when they go after you they can do a mini-charge and tackle you! imagine being cool and all of a sudden BAM tackled by a zombie! i would have a heart attack man! it sounds AWESOME i don't know about you guys! but i would love that even if it sounds op for the zeds hahaha!

5- Military zeds should be extremely hard to kill because of their armor and should be faster thanks to the training they had in life! and they should be able to have all the above skills to be bad asses!

Any other idea for this will be welcomed! this is just a start to make zeds harder! and i know... those ideas might be hard to implement but dang!! imagine the realism of it! the horror and all the new history´s you will hear with this kind of things! be creative give more ideas for the zeds which should be the center of the game or at least the survival part.

Now in the other hand im concerned about the 50 calibers weapons, they are game breaking for me because they are just too powerful, and with the current mechanics in sniping terms they are just too easy to use!, all im saying is that its not fair to be 1 hit KO´ed when they hit you in any part of the body without even have to use real sniping mechanics! its just too easy and requires no planning! even worst with the as50 which is semi automatic... i mean... really? semi auto?.. those weapons can even explode vehicles with like 2 shots it just doesnt seem right for the game! they belong for a more advance game style like Arma itself! if you are a true lover of the this game you know they are not suppose to be around! all the other sniping rifles are acceptable! but in my opinion... i would just leave the cz550! its just too awesome and fits the environment of chernarus perfectly! LESS MILITARY WEPS FTW! give out your opinions! i love to see people that really care about the game posting and suggesting!

Edited by Reino
  • Like 1

i agree with the magazine and ammo separation. as ammo should be very rare.. it should be nearly impossible to find a weapon with any ammo or much ammo with it cause whoever died with the gun probably used all of his/her ammo before the zombies got him/her. so great, you found the best weapon in the game, but it is a well machined hammer until you get ammo.

loose ammo should be what you find in small amounts in drawers (2 - 5 pieces). and to reload a magazine, you have to go into your inventory (not much fun if you are being chased by zombies). however, magazineless weapons do not have this problem. revolvers, lever guns, most shotguns, and older bolt action rifles with internal magazines could all be reloaded with just loose ammo at any time. loose ammo takes up less space but stills weighs the same if weight is calculated in the standalone.

ammo rarity should be based on semi realistic conditions, but more importantly game balance. very unique and powerful weapons should be extremely difficult to find ammo for and magazine limited (maybe the only magazines you ever find are the ones that you found with the gun, empty, of course). a .50 cal with a single 5 round mag will be annoying to use. even if you find a few magazines worth of ammo, you have to go into your inventory to reload your mag once emptied cause you only have 1 magazine.

mid grade weapons that use more common ammo would be far more useful even if less powerful, cause you can actually find ammo! this was partially evident in the alpha as i liked carrying the winchester since finding ammo was not a problem even if i found an ak variant or m4 variant, but the standalone should make this scale more extreme. like this:

ammo rarity in a stash (for long guns)

10% (each) - mosin nagant/lee enfield, shotgun, winchester (though the winchester could use the same ammo as one of the revolvers)

3% - ak 47 and ak 74 ammo (this is eastern european and not nato country)

1% - stanag

.01% - dmr and dragunov

.00001% - .338 and .50cal

and ammo is found lose in only handfuls! 2 - 5. and at any loot site trash should be 50%+ likely to spawn

Edited by jackwhitter

So you have been playing l4d? (Reino)

Glare from sniper scopes (and anti-reflective coating on some of the sights and binoculars)

And you have been playing bf3...

Edited by Zeppa
  • Like 1

Soft-soled Shoes.

Was going to suggest this for heroes, but no reason why you couldn't find them as rare loot in military or even residential areas.

They reduce your walking/running noise by one bar. Particularly useful for shift-walking over hard surfaces that seem to be extra loud with the current settings.

Glare from sniper scopes (and anti-reflective coating on some of the sights and binoculars)

I'll give this to you... but I think it should be realistic. Not the "spotlight on a hill" (regardless of lighting conditions) like in BF3, but if you are facing toward the sun, you should get some glint. At a precision rifle course I took, in the afternoon on the 300 yard range, we set our rifles down and walked down to check our targets. On the way back (sun at our backs) it looked like landing lights on an airstrip with all the scopes catching the sunlight. But BF3 takes it WAY too far. There could be kill-flash devices if you like, but again I'd like to see the reflections first just for realism.

FTR, anti-reflective coatings just increase the clarity of the glass by reducing internal reflections. That does little for the external reflections.

Edited by slonlo

What about Tablets to purify water? If you do not add them to the water you have some probabilities of falling down patient, thnx.

This plus:

Bottles of bleach with X remaining uses.

Water filters. Probably a tad rare given the setting. (http://www.rei.com/category/4500461)

Pots to boil water in.

And you have been playing bf3...

Actually, glint does reflect when sunlight hits some scopes in real life, given the conditions. So, while military grade rifles will not glint, civilian scopes should. Good way to have it in game, seeing military scoped rifles would be much more rare anyways.

Actually, glint does reflect when sunlight hits some scopes in real life, given the conditions. So, while military grade rifles will not glint, civilian scopes should. Good way to have it in game, seeing military scoped rifles would be much more rare anyways.

Yes, but it should be very very settle glint(sure at optimum conditions more noticeable) And should only be seen on certain conditions. This would make "snipers" to choose their spot better tho.

Not like in bf3 you can see the spotlight everywhere.

There should be attachments for civilian rifles too to cover the lense for removing the glint.

Also this combined to rare ammunition I would rather use binoculars for spotting and taking out the rifle when needed to avoid being seen because the slight glint. But then again, binoculars should have it too, but variety of binoculars with antiglare lenses and shit.

Edited by Zeppa

How about an Cellphone Huh? Gps,Light new screenshot device and if your buddy have one you can call eachother lol. Would be fun hey?

Although any improvements on the inventory system are going to be welcome, I just want to say I loved that there was a small chance of losing all your stuff occasionally, it sucked and it was harsh but it gave an extra air of uncertainty to switching bags etc.

I know it was a bug, but it gave the game a sort of pseudo human error factor because in the real world, sometimes people just fuck up and bad things happen especially in stressful situations. Not sure if any of this makes sense, but I liked that there was uncertainty in my ability to perform tasks in the game because it simulates the uncertainty of doing a complex unrehearsed task under stress in the real world.

Excellent take on "shit happens" I lost my pack gear switching from Czech to Alice once. Made me wanna just sit down and cry. Then (virtual) reality sets in and you realize, i can sit here and die or pick my sorry ass up and get moving.

I love the idea of random happenings

- Wild plants to "craft" medicines/poisons, in an authentic way. Having to test and recognize the different plants, some of them being deadly poison.

Some ideas, not only related to the inventory. Some of them may have already been mentioned earlier.

Map of the game

The addition of a few free-standing buildings in the wilds of both civilian and military, that can serve as a temporary shelter for the players (very small chance to spawn zombies and loot). such as air tower.

If possible, the addition of underground facilities, such as bunkers and tunnels. Subject to pop around the corner zombies and total darkness.

Zombie

Adding more types of zombies with slightly modified characteristics, such as zombies slower but more durable and stronger; zombies that occasionally howl focusing the attention of more zombies; zombies focusing more on grabbing or knocking down than hitting. Differences between the types might be noticeable only by observing their way of moving or by little details in their appearance. Just to add a little bit of work for the spotters and snipers.

Factors affecting the player character

The frequency time of being forced to eat and drink could be extended, but instead to satisfy hunger you need to consume more food or water.

Water derived from natural sources should have the chance to induce diseases or infections you can minimize the risk of it by boiling water as an option by a campfire.

Equipment

No more empty bottles of whiskey!

Adding to the game the ability to drink alcohol, smoke cigarettes, and other crap such as sweets – objects with minimal or no impact on gameplay mechanics. Why are so many bandits in the Day-Z? No alcohol.

The possibility of finding large empty plastic bottles in order to collect and store large quantities of water (e.g. 5l bottle that lasts for 10 uses and take less inventory space than 10 drink cans.)

As someone previously mentioned, all electrical equipment should operate on batteries, with the ability to recharge more sophisticated ones with e.g. noisy power generators working on fuel.

The issue of the availability of weapons and ammunition already been addressed many times, I support the concept of an easily accessible weapons and limited ammo, especially the well-preserved, or to less popular weapons.

Weather

Add Fog ...

And I need to take something to relieve stress ; /

Zombie should just not respond to sounds in the rain or storm.

Edited by *=LP=* Skaylay

I bet it was mentioned before but im too lazy too Search ^^

Painkillers and Anitbiotics:

It would be better if they where like magazins. Maybe found half depleted.

Painkillers are found in packets of 24, Antibiotics have 18 caplets/tablets.

In RL taking them all at once certainly would kill you maybe extremly harm you.

So make them more rare and like a Mag would be cool.

I guess I'll post some of my suggestions here too, some goofballs downvoted it on Reddit so nobody will ever see it there ( http://www.reddit.co...ndalone/c6iqwko ). Anyways:

• Weapons should be separated into 3 categories: Civilian, Police, and Military, and should spawn at their appropriate places. It would be awesome if you could add police stations to raid in Chernarus Plus. Military weapons should rarely spawn inside cities, Civilian and Police weapons need to become a much bigger part of the game. Especially pistols and shotguns, those should become the "bread and butter" of the gameplay for most players, and should be viable and enjoyable to play with (btw the 870 w/ flashlight model currently looks "off" in 1st person). Military service rifles should be rare and difficult to obtain (if zombies over-ran the military areas in such large numbers, they should spawn around most of the the guns, besides actual armories), even more "end-game" oriented and encouraging of group play to obtain than they are now.

• Civ guns to add: Mosin Nagant (common in both the US and ex-USSR/"Chernarus"), SKS, .357 or .44 revolver, Glock without flashlight. A basic pump action Shotgun should be one of the most common guns in the game. For a future US setting: a semi-auto AR-15 and AKM for rare civ spawns (can use existing models, and civ AKMs exist in Rus as well). Semi-auto AR-15 can be used for a police spawn too. Ex-USSR police often have an AKS-74U around somewhere, but rarely an AK-74 or AKM.

• Expanded role for melee weapons. You should be able to take down 1 zombie easily with a decent melee weapon (a mindless person against a guy with an axe or bat stands little chance) with relatively little risk. More than that, the risk should be far greater. Larger ones should swing at a lower rate than smaller ones. Melee weapons to add: Hammer, baseball bat (very common in ex-USSR for defense), metal pole/rod (find in industrial areas or stores), kitchen knife. No katanas at all, unless they are a semi-gag item and the rarest thing in the game.

• More variety of common weapons and items in general, for more reasons to explore the thousandth house we've come across after having basic gear.

• Duct tape and/or rope, for binding players hands and other uses. Fishing gear for fishing in select areas. Potato chips.

• One idea I've had is junk items like bags or cans that can be used as "noise makers". Basically like a home-made trip "alarm" that make a noise when someone steps on it/trips it, to warn you someone is there. Game coding wise, they would work like a mine or claymore, except make a noise instead of exploding. They can disappear after a set time. I have used similar methods on doorways IRL when faced with potential home invasion, and it would be nice to have when looting buildings in DayZ. Doing this you will have items that add authentic clutter to the game but serve a very useful purpose.

• Horses. Their impact on the game will be big and add several new dimensions to transportation, survival, and resource management. If modern industrial civilization were to end IRL, horses would become quite important, so they really add to the authenticity as well.

• Something else to consider is more "containers", similar to how chests and crates work in Skyrim, and how crates and tents already work in the Arma/DayZ engine. This way you can add a lot more loot spawns without having to render them in detail, you just click on the "container" to see what if anything is inside. Examples would be lockers, kitchen cupboards, clothing drawers, medicine and cabinets, etc. Ultimately I would just like raiding a house to be a full and intense experience. Appropriately done indoor zombie spawns should also be a part of that, when zombie behavior is improved.

And this is off-topic and much more controversial:

I think there also needs to be a more in-depth and influential morality/humanity system. Beyond the most hardcore players, the majority of people playing this will never think of it as anything but just another game. But the game should still strive to be more, to give people that apocalyptic experience. In DayZ, players have no deep reason not to murder someone the second they see them, even those who are not threats, simply because it is a game. Rocket has said he has not played much DayZ on online pubs since the early days, but deathmatching is all that happens now and is deeply entrenched in the playerbase.

Robbery/mugging, carjacking and similar expected common events will almost never happen in DayZ beyond some roleplayers, because you just kill the guy and don't feel anything. In real life most people in this scenario, despite being desperate and losing most of their morality, would still not murder every person the second they see them, especially unarmed people. Increasing player dependency as is currently planned by Rocket will not be enough. The un-realistic, immersion breaking, mindless shoot-on-sight behavior by 99% of the current player base should be discouraged, in a "light" and appropriate way. The real-life psychology/morality that would stop most people from automatically shooting all unarmed people on sight in an actual crisis will never exist in-game for most who play, so it must be programmed in in some light form. Ways to do so would require a much bigger discussion. The current bandit system with the mask is great, but isn't quite effective enough. I don't mean friendly behavior should be forced, just thoughtful and cautious behavior. The purpose is to increase authenticity, not make the game world less dangerous.

Edited by Kak
  • Like 2

I would love to see a larger selection of handguns, espicially a Sig P226, man that thing would just make it for me.

Although fitting with the whole, eastern bloc theme. Surplus guns would be a big step up, Tokarev, Mosin Nagant (although for that you'd have to make SVD ammo less rare as it's the same round), maybe a few more AK variants just things that fit with that.

Suggestion wise biggest thing would be long/recurve bows and arrows, being able to both make said weapon and ammunition for it. Of course that goes along with the wonders of an arrow not taking up an entire inventory slot but...

Tents being able to be placed at the top of castles, the second floor of buildings etc (same goes with fireplaces).

In real life most people in this scenario, despite being desperate and losing most of their morality, would still not murder every person the second they see them, especially unarmed people.

Highly dependent on timeline. Day one? You're right. People won't just kill each other. Day 50? You'd be surprised.

Increasing player dependency as is currently planned by Rocket will not be enough. The un-realistic, immersion breaking, mindless shoot-on-sight behavior by 99% of the current player base should be discouraged, in a "light" and appropriate way. The real-life psychology/morality that would stop most people from automatically shooting all unarmed people on sight in an actual crisis will never exist in-game for most who play, so it must be programmed in in some light form.

Again dependent on timeline, and on top of that previous experience. And I disagree the game should not force some pre-determined moral compass on me.

Ways to do so would require a much bigger discussion. The current bandit system with the mask is great, but isn't quite effective enough. I don't mean friendly behavior should be forced, just thoughtful and cautious behavior. The purpose is to increase authenticity, not make the game world less dangerous.

What you consider thoughtful, cautious behavior, and what I consider thoughtful cautious behavior are two different things.

Is that other person a threat?

Will that other person shoot me if he sees me?

Does that other person need something I have?

Is that other person a bandit?

Does that other person have friends?

Will that other person betray me later?

If any of those questions come up as 'I don't know' the answer to the first question is automatically 'Yes' because I don't know shit about them. If that person is a threat, the answer to the question of 'Should I kill them?' becomes 'if an opportunity presents itself'. I've let a large number of people go free. I've helped out plenty of people. But all of the above is true for -every- situation in dayz. And it should.

DayZ is not a world of hope. It is a world of despair, and loss. People are not coming to save you. The zombies are not disappearing. There is no civilization as we know it. You may have been a beloved first grade teacher, but with no rules, no laws what really is stopping you from killing me after the things you've seen? The game should not be designed with mechanics of a pre-collapse of civilization morality in mind.

• Like 1

String, which you can tie to flares, tin cans, smoke grenades or frags to make trip wires. Grenades should be extremely rare like all military weapons though, the barb wire shenanigans would seem mild compared explosive traps if every tom, dick and harry could scavenge frags.

I really liked the idea of being able to skin animals for fur to make clothes with better insulation. The added bonus being groups being able to customize their look for better recognition as well as looking like badass survivors who've survived a lot. Also rain coats for wet weather, helmets from dead soldiers, and netting to make some makeshift ghilly/camo. Black Balaclavas for bandits.

The ability to hit with the gun butt or pistol whip someone unconscious. String, tape or handcuffs to restrain, and the ability to pick them up over the shoulder and carry them at a reduced speed and without the use of a weapon.

While perma death is great for this game, it still isn't enough to stop the majority of players immediately re spawning and then heading back to cherno or elektro to deathmatch again. While I love the fact that there is no leveling system, being able to obtain skills via practice, social learning or instructional books I think would go a long way into making people being more invested in their characters lives beyond the equipment they carry. It would also ramp up the tension in player encounters.

Don't make it to streamlined. Someone recently made the excellent point that as clunky as the current system is it adds an important element of additional pressure to situations where you are already time limited.

I don't want to loose my rifle because I didn't have space for it in my bag but I also don't want to be able to field strip it and attach the holo sight, M203, and suppressor that I just picked-up in 10 seconds while zombies are streaming through the door.

I agree with this 100%.

It simulates the real world situations of things not fitting in bags, you dropping stuff, etc.

Please don't change it too much.

• Like 1