venthos

DayZ Redux - DayZ purist focused custom DayZ Mod (Formerly DayZ DIAF)

Make sure you are only using @DayZRedux mod and not @DayZ (the regular DayZ). If you use DayZCommander, you have to override the DayZ path from @DayZ to @DayZRedux to make sure it only loads my mod and not default DayZ

To prevent easy-mode farming of choppers, they are randomly spawned throughout the life of the server. The goal is to make it so that any given time is no more advantageous that another time to go look for choppers. You could find them any time. This means chopper loot is no longer easy pickings for anyone with a helicopter or the playtime that centers around server restarts.

Oh yeah, suddenly noticed i was only running version 0.2.1 so that explains everything :) Looking forward to playing on your server!

So hopefully this isn't too noobish a question for this thread:

Has anyone who's put serious time in on this server seen/noticed a reduction in the amount of PvP and an increase in PvE and teamwork?

Just curious as I've only had about 15 minutes so far to play before the server had to reset.

Venthos, when the EU server comes up (crossing fingers for some time tonight) is it going to possible to have characters migrated from the US server to the EU one? and are they going to be on separate databases? hoping yes to both especially last one to stop ghosting/server hopping for loot etc.

If it is possible for you to migrate characters from US to EU I will give you a list of BSB that will be looking to swap over.

That dayz Chopper Chase vid, Nice shooting, But too bad you didn't show the whole vid :P When I shot the 4 of you on my own and took out the chopper so you couldn't fly away :) Then fixed it and flew away a happy man :D

When I shot the 4 of you on my own

Guess that answers my question; still beware other players.

So hopefully this isn't too noobish a question for this thread:

Has anyone who's put serious time in on this server seen/noticed a reduction in the amount of PvP and an increase in PvE and teamwork?

Just curious as I've only had about 15 minutes so far to play before the server had to reset.

I think that depends on how you play to some extent. I play with a large group of guys, and we've had some intense firefights.

And usually getting into them, but thats what we enjoy. But PvE is a large part of the mod to.

meh you didn't show the whole vid :( shame but really good work guys i was impressed :D yer them tyres are hard to shoot out

That dayz Chopper Chase vid, Nice shooting, But too bad you didn't show the whole vid :P When I shot the 4 of you on my own and took out the chopper so you couldn't fly away :) Then fixed it and flew away a happy man :D

I had a cheap Russian camera, my friends. Very cheap. It got broken from you shots. That vid is all I could reclaim.

Edited by theanes

A few suggestions:

-Vehicles

I really think that the DayZ approach to vehicles is the wrong one (barely any vehicles but abundant parts). Rather, I think it would be much better if there were lots of vehicles found all around, but VERY limited parts. AKA, decrease the spawn rate of parts a lot.

-Weapons

This is kind of the same argument as vehicles in that I think there should be lots of civilian and/or military weapons (obviously less military than civ, but still...) but the AMMO should be VERY VERY rare.

My 2 cents. I'm definitely enjoying the "mod" of the mod so far :)

Edited by termhn
  • Like 1

Is it possible to fix the flashlight? OR is it a limitation or non moddable because of the engine?

Using the flashlight in close quarters is difficult. It almost seems you are looking through a scope on a gun.

Maybe stick a flare in it? LOL that at least has some fall off to light the room...

Edited by opeth

Is it possible to fix the flashlight? OR is it a limitation or non moddable because of the engine?

Using the flashlight in close quarters is difficult. It almost seems you are looking through a scope on a gun.

Maybe stick a flare in it? LOL that at least has some fall off to light the room...

There was a mod (maybe on Lingor?) where you could attach the military flashlight to the chest or something, so you could have it on whilst using a rifle/pistol. That would be a nice feature for Redux, and make it worthwhile hunting out a military flashlight, rather than it just being a different coloured light with less spill.

I'd be happy with this being added, and the standard flashlight left as a uselss kill me beacon :D

Edited by NO2 Punk
  • Like 1

*chopper crash video*

Hahaha. Yeah, that was me alone in the UH60 blackhawk. I wanted to tease the rest of my squad (who LOVE choppers) by buzzing their location a few times at 350km/h in the UH60. I fully intended to crash/destroy it and not let anyone have it (a 350km/h chopper is ridiculous for DayZ)... but I didn't intend to crash it right at that particular time. The UH60 corners like a brick, not like the UH1H which is pretty damned nimble for its size. I cut a turn too sharp and couldn't compensate for the loss of altitude. Boom. I was amazed I didn't die, but then since my squad was nearby (and apparently at least two others) everyone converged on the crash. Good times. But, no, the UH60 won't be in the mod :P It's just too ridiculous for my tastes I think. Even the UH1H is pushing it as it is.

A few suggestions:

-Vehicles

I really think that the DayZ approach to vehicles is the wrong one (barely any vehicles but abundant parts). Rather, I think it would be much better if there were lots of vehicles found all around, but VERY limited parts. AKA, decrease the spawn rate of parts a lot.

-Weapons

This is kind of the same argument as vehicles in that I think there should be lots of civilian and/or military weapons (obviously less military than civ, but still...) but the AMMO should be VERY VERY rare.

My 2 cents. I'm definitely enjoying the "mod" of the mod so far :)

The weapon thing is a possibility. I initially changed loot from 0-3 mags per gun spawn to 1-3 mags per gun spawn (Guaranteeing ammo w/gun spawn) because of the default loot system DayZ had in place. With the new server-side loot system, maybe it could stand to be tweaked. We'll see. For vehicles, my only concern is how fragile they are. No one will want to repair a vehicle if any guy with a shotgun can pop your tire like a balloon and render it useless because parts are so rare.

Changing the FUEL mechanic, I think, would be a better choice. Make each fuel tank (not jerry can, actual fuel tanks) only give out 3-5 jerry cans of fuel per server restart (it's a zombie apocalypse... you're not the first one to the fuel tank). This means you'd have to constantly seek out fuel tanks with fuel left in them. "Hoarding" jerry cans becomes a real possibility with finite fuel per server restart. Maybe even randomize it so half of them are randomly empty outright. Each time you jumped in a vehicle you'd have to plan out fuel stops along the way or risk stranding your repaired vehicle out in the middle of nowhere. Get unlucky with already tapped fuel tanks, and you're screwed. Left to walk on foot jerry can in hand and hope your car is still there (or that someone isn't laying in wait to ambush).

Thoughts?

If by "fix" the flashlight you mean not shine it through building walls? Engine limitation. If you mean more ambient light and not this 'cone of light', I kind of like it that way.

There was a mod (maybe on Lingor?) where you could attach the military flashlight to the chest or something, so you could have it on whilst using a rifle/pistol. That would be a nice feature for Redux, and make it worthwhile hunting out a military flashlight, rather than it just being a different coloured light with less spill.

I'd be happy with this being added, and the standard flashlight left as a uselss kill me beacon :D

I am unsure how this works and would need to research it, but I'm not adverse to adding that in for military flashlights only.

• Like 2

PLEASE do try that weapon spawn tweak!! Now a player would really have to think about whether or not to use that gun, be it on a zed or on another player. IMO it should put players in the position to not KoS so often versus trying to work as a team. Waste a shot/bullet/shell hoping to get something but come up with an empty gun, no other items, and pissed zombies up your trumpet only to realize you could have worked with the guy and cleared the whole city together.

Edited by A Medic

Theres a chopper in black forest, the black one, Needs, Everything fixed. it spawned there after the server restart, I originally crashed it there as I lost connection and it blew up. Tried fueling it up but its leaking. All was green when I filled it up, Tried blowing it up but my ammo is scarse so now... Well... you know.

Hahaha. Yeah, that was me alone in the UH60 blackhawk. I wanted to tease the rest of my squad (who LOVE choppers) by buzzing their location a few times at 350km/h in the UH60. I fully intended to crash/destroy it and not let anyone have it (a 350km/h chopper is ridiculous for DayZ)... but I didn't intend to crash it right at that particular time. The UH60 corners like a brick, not like the UH1H which is pretty damned nimble for its size. I cut a turn too sharp and couldn't compensate for the loss of altitude. Boom. I was amazed I didn't die, but then since my squad was nearby (and apparently at least two others) everyone converged on the crash. Good times. But, no, the UH60 won't be in the mod :P It's just too ridiculous for my tastes I think. Even the UH1H is pushing it as it is.

The weapon thing is a possibility. I initially changed loot from 0-3 mags per gun spawn to 1-3 mags per gun spawn (Guaranteeing ammo w/gun spawn) because of the default loot system DayZ had in place. With the new server-side loot system, maybe it could stand to be tweaked. We'll see. For vehicles, my only concern is how fragile they are. No one will want to repair a vehicle if any guy with a shotgun can pop your tire like a balloon and render it useless because parts are so rare.

Changing the FUEL mechanic, I think, would be a better choice. Make each fuel tank (not jerry can, actual fuel tanks) only give out 3-5 jerry cans of fuel per server restart (it's a zombie apocalypse... you're not the first one to the fuel tank). This means you'd have to constantly seek out fuel tanks with fuel left in them. "Hoarding" jerry cans becomes a real possibility with finite fuel per server restart. Maybe even randomize it so half of them are randomly empty outright. Each time you jumped in a vehicle you'd have to plan out fuel stops along the way or risk stranding your repaired vehicle out in the middle of nowhere. Get unlucky with already tapped fuel tanks, and you're screwed. Left to walk on foot jerry can in hand and hope your car is still there (or that someone isn't laying in wait to ambush).

Thoughts?

If by "fix" the flashlight you mean not shine it through building walls? Engine limitation. If you mean more ambient light and not this 'cone of light', I kind of like it that way.

I am unsure how this works and would need to research it, but I'm not adverse to adding that in for military flashlights only.

I like all those ideas :)

Changing the FUEL mechanic, I think, would be a better choice. Make each fuel tank (not jerry can, actual fuel tanks) only give out 3-5 jerry cans of fuel per server restart (it's a zombie apocalypse... you're not the first one to the fuel tank).

This, man. Yeah that would be really cool. And people owning helicopters would need to be even more careful with their fuel.

Changing the FUEL mechanic, I think, would be a better choice. Make each fuel tank (not jerry can, actual fuel tanks) only give out 3-5 jerry cans of fuel per server restart (it's a zombie apocalypse... you're not the first one to the fuel tank).

Thoughts?

This, man. Yeah that would be really cool. And people owning helicopters would need to be even more careful with their fuel.

Pretty sure if this was reddit , that would get so many upvotes !

Fuel to cars should be like what ammo is to guns. Make you think before using them.

It could actually sorta solve the tent and vehicle disguise problem because with a shortage of fuel would a clan even want to waste an hours worth of fuel flying around looking for something they may not even find ?

So just by limiting fuel you could possibly solve a lot of problems. Keep all the heli's in but now clans will be fighting over fuel.

• Like 1

Fuel to cars should be like what ammo is to guns. Make you think before using them.

It could actually sorta solve the tent and vehicle disguise problem because with a shortage of fuel would a clan even want to waste an hours worth of fuel flying around looking for something they may not even find ?

So just by limiting fuel you could possibly solve a lot of problems. Keep all the heli's in but now clans will be fighting over fuel.

It's a good idea and makes there more to play for.

Would it also be possible on the current engine to add in fuel siphoning function? Say you roll up on an enemy vehicle stash, you could siphon all their fuel from the tank of the vehicle(s) into jerry cans to keep your superior vehicle gassed up.

Also makes the bicycle more appealing. I'd love to see the mountain bike from arma2 included, rather than the ancient rusty granny bike we currently have.

Edited by NO2 Punk

Yeah. I reckon we have our solution, makes so much more sense.

Yup, would sure make for some interesting encounters ... crowbar vs hatchet ... unarmed vs unarmed vs a shiteload of zeds.

Keep it up, boss! This is the sole reason why I plan on hosting soon, because of THIS.

Edited by calthehunter

Like this very much. It would be even better to add more melee weapons and more civilian guns. My ideal DayZ environment would reduce the military guns to very rare levels, with only the CZ550 sniper (since it can be implied as a civilian hunting rifle). Removing the ability of players to snipe from concealment and force almost all combats to be done face to face at closer ranges would to me make so many positive changes to the entire game. Noob snipers raping Cherno and Elektro would simply vanish, noob snipers server hopping from NWAF mound to NWAF mound in search of cheap kills would vanish and any combat would put the attacking party at more risk. I think lowering the tech levels of weapons generally to remove many of the ARs would also promote more friendly/friendly encounters.

I expect your server is quite busy but I'd love to play on it.

Kudos to you for all of this, bug and exploit fixes included. I hope Rocket sees this and asks you if hr can use many of the ideas.