Sign in to follow this  
Muncywolverine

Musket's and Minie' ball ammunition.

I want a musket, damnit! A musket with a bayonet.

The bayonet will be the most useful part (like a step above the hatchet), you use the mouse wheel to switch from the musket to the musket's bayonet.

You use paper cartridges, just like regular ammo. Find em in barns like other weapons. Takes like 10 seconds to reload, but does a massive amount of damage (A Minie' ball can take a leg off pretty easily).

Also, in standalone, there will hopefully be bullet penetration. By that i mean you could stack up the zombies, and knock 5-6 of them down with one shot. Lower caliber assault rifles (e.i. the m16's 5.56x45mm) will have a hard time doing this.

The Bayonet will do 9500 blood damage if it hits the center chest, lower if it hits elsewhere, but no lower than 5000 blood. (e.i. - Better than the hatchet)

Discuss.

• Like 3

An excellent accompaniment to sporting an outrageous english accent over comms, and therefore I think this is an awesome idea

Was playing that when it was still a mod. Good times.

But oh my god. Seeing lines of DayZ players mowing down others would be so amusing.

Edit: Set up an event on a server and have people fire in volleys of Lee Enfield rounds. Get 2 20 man teams :D

Edited by Riem

Was playing that when it was still a mod. Good times.

But oh my god. Seeing lines of DayZ players mowing down others would be so amusing.

Especially with standalone supposedly having 200 player servers. Would make for some awesome clan events and youtube videos.

Muskets are horrible weapons, thats why we dont use them anymore.

So are bolt-action rifles and crowbars but you can still use em.

Where would you even find a musket? Finding a british .50 rifle seems more likely.

• Like 1

Where would you even find a musket? Finding a british .50 rifle seems more likely.

A barn? I'm sure there's some old farmers with muzzle loaders out there somewhere >.>.

A barn? I'm sure there's some old farmers with muzzle loaders out there somewhere >.>.

I doubt those rifles would still be used by a farmer nowadays, they are mostly museum pieces...even the poorest of the taliban somewhere in talivalley can afford an AKM / Type 56 ( i might even have seen some old bolt action rifles in some pictures ) instead of having food so the average chernarian farmer could have at least a pistol / double barrel or a bolt action rifle with/without scope for hunting. If he is a member of the local militia he could even have an AK variant.

Edited by Enforcer

Modern bullets are much more lethal than old musket balls. Minie balls are better but .303 British has way more stopping power than a Minie Ball.

This is not staying that Minie Balls are weak though, just not as good as modern rounds using smokeless powder and brass cartridges.

I believe it would take longer than 10 seconds to reload a musket, maybe for game play's sake it would be shorter.

I disagree with your statement about bolt-actions being horrible weapons. A Lee-Enfield is still an effective weapon and many modern sniper rifles are bolt-action. Bolt-actions firearms are some of the most accurate weapons on the planet.

• Like 1

I doubt those rifles would still be used by a farmer nowadays, they are mostly museum pieces...even the poorest of the taliban somewhere in talivalley can afford an AKM / Type 56 ( i might even have seen some old bolt action rifles in some pictures ) instead of having food so the average chernarian farmer could have at least a pistol / double barrel or a bolt action rifle with/without scope for hunting. If he is a member of the local militia he could even have an AK variant.

I agree with you. Some Taliban use old British bolt actions like the Lee-Enfield. Bolt actions are much more common nowadays than muzzle-loading muskets. A musket would be a very impractical weapon in a infection scenario in my opinion.

To kill infected you want an accurate weapon with moderate fire rate. A musket has neither of these traits.

You remind me of this guy, http://www.quickmeme.com/meme/1u7p/

If that's the case i want a lootable museum.

Modern bullets are much more lethal than old musket balls. Minie balls are better but .303 British has way more stopping power than a Minie Ball.

This is not staying that Minie Balls are weak though, just not as good as modern rounds using smokeless powder and brass cartridges.

I believe it would take longer than 10 seconds to reload a musket, maybe for game play's sake it would be shorter.

I disagree with your statement about bolt-actions being horrible weapons. A Lee-Enfield is still an effective weapon and many modern sniper rifles are bolt-action. Bolt-actions firearms are some of the most accurate weapons on the planet.

How about a little fun and variety. Plus Minie' balls are hollow point (well not really, but same effect) and i'm assume most military rounds are armor-piercing. If nothing else a massive, self-expanding bullet blowing away a zed would be fun to watch.

To kill infected you want an accurate weapon with moderate fire rate.

You can kill an infected with tin cans. A tin can is neither accurate nor does it have a high rate of fire.

Edited by Muncywolverine

Muskets fired deforming lead .75+ caliber/ 19mm rounds. Inaccurate at distances longer than 50 yards but more than enough to splatter your insides and do far more damage than most modern longarms short of a shotgun round for round.

In other words, muskets were slow firing, loud, and the barrels fouled easily, but they were very good at killing people.

You can kill an infected with tin cans. A tin can is neither accurate nor does it have a high rate of fire.

Tin cans still have a higher fire rate than a musket would, but I'm all for a bit of variety.

If I spawned fresh and stumbled upon a musket or blunderbuss, I wouldn't kick her outa bed.

The tin can thing is a glitch. And now where did I say that I didn't want them. All i did was give my opinion on the technicalities. I remember watching a show once that stated that the wounds from bullets in WWI were the worst the world had seen due to the lethality of the bolt action rifles in use. That is why I thought they were more lethal than Minie Balls.

The Same show also said that Minie Balls cause more lethal wounds than standard musket rounds.

So in my opinion: Musket Ball < Minie Ball < Modern Bullet

But dont minië balls have relatively low velocity? If in the standalone bulletproof vests were added, minie balls would be hilariously uneffective.

With long reload time and bad accuracy it would be reduced to novelty or for "hard mode" players.

I just googled a bit and found that the Model 1842 musket, which has the highest fps of those that i've found, has muzzle energy of 2000 foot pounds. For comparison, 45.ACP has 500, 5.56 has 1300 and 7.62x51 has 3000.

Definitely lethal.

Minie ball would be a good addition, but the rarity of this weapon in game, I guess will lead to it becoming a trophy weapon.

the idea is silly but i still appreciate the ppl who actually like it haha...

I own a .303 le enfeild mark 2.. its an awesome weapon just not so awesome in dayz is all ! bolt actions are some of the most powerfull weapons available.. hence why the use a bolt !

• Like 1

the idea is silly but i still appreciate the ppl who actually like it haha...

I own a .303 le enfeild mark 2.. its an awesome weapon just not so awesome in dayz is all ! bolt actions are some of the most powerfull weapons available.. hence why the use a bolt !

Wouldn't you want one of those engraved muskets/family rifles.

It'd be a cute idea to add in-game, although you'll notice as soon as everyone gets an opportunity to receive a better weapon, then they'll grab for it unless they got some serious balls. I like your creative ideas though.

Slow moving lead bullets actually have more energy transfer into a target than a pointy bullet flying at supersonic speed that has more potential to penetrate a target at the same distance ( not at utopic ranges, i'm talking about the muskets effective range ).

• Like 1

You remind me of this guy, http://www.quickmeme.com/meme/1u7p/

If that's the case i want a lootable museum.

How about a little fun and variety. Plus Minie' balls are hollow point (well not really, but same effect) and i'm assume most military rounds are armor-piercing. If nothing else a massive, self-expanding bullet blowing away a zed would be fun to watch.

you can kill a zombie in many ways. but an EFFECTIVE weapon should be quick to fire (in case of swarms) and have great stopping power. a bonus would be a not-that-loud gun. a musket have neither of those compared to mordern rifles