J.D

EuroGamer - Sep 2012 - DayZ Developer Presentation / Article

Hi,

I would like to ask someone to summarize the important info. I´m not a native english speaker and It´s hard for me to understand Rocket.

Thank you in advance.

Sounds great lots of new info.

I can't wait for the bows, running around barechested with a red rag tied around my head.

• Like 1

Hi,

I would like to ask someone to summarize the important info. I´m not a native english speaker and It´s hard for me to understand Rocket.

Thank you in advance.

Some bullet points on it:

- Securing the game from hacking/exploits is the number one priority with the game.

- New crossbow looks bad-ass, Rocket hints at a chainsaw.

- The game will draw on assets from all of BIS's games, talks about the helicopter mechanics from Take on Helicopters.

- Distribution will be a lot more streamlined, so they can push out updates a lot quicker/easier.

- The game is going to be a lot more optimized, especially the zombies themselves, which will presumably allow a lot more zombies at once.

- Content/Images/Videos to be up on the blog soon.

- Focus on authenticity, tension and freedom. Survival vs Wild. He wants to make the players body and nature being the antagonist. Things like broken ribs, different walking stances depending on where you have been injured, diseases (Malaria, Dysentery, Cholera)

- Locations with more players will have more chance of spreading disease.

- New medical system.

- Zombies entirely redeveloped, graphically, animations and AI.

- Weapon will have durability, they can jam, NV Goggles will need batteries, if you get shot in the head, the night vision goggles might get damaged for example.

- UI removed, talks about a vomiting animation and other cues to show you are sick.

- Chernarus Plus is done, new towns, facilities, water fountains balanced, many more fully enterable buildings, eventually all will be enterable.

- New Crossbow, new melee items (some may come to the mod) also talks about a bow.

- More parts to vehicles, different parts for different effects, for example a battlebus created by adding certain parts to a normal bus.

- Timetable (Stable build out this year, November/December for a very low price point, January/February a lot of regular new content.

- Working with community to try out new ideas in the mod.

• Like 2

Great news to see that other developers are willing to help out (Valve, Notch, Eve Online developers, CCP ).

Think it would be good if this game was sold on Steam, would help sales imo and I like the way Steam automatically updates the game.

Damn after watching that video, the standalone sounds way different to the mod. Adding weapon jamming and durability, batteries for NVGs and if you shoot a guy with NVGs on it will damage them and you can't really steal them or use them well. Sounds like a good way to try combat guys who just kill for no reason or try to rob your stuff. If your gear is damaged while they attack you then it might stop them or make them think twice about killing you

You understand this is a PVP game right? Players kill other players for the fun of it and the game was designed to allow this, so there isn't a need to "combat" it. You simply need to play smarter if you don't want to get killed by another player.

Edited by crockett

You understand this is a PVP game right? Players kill other players for the fun of it and the game was designed to allow this, so there isn't a need to "combat" it. You simply need to play smarter if you don't want to get killed by another player.

I understand what the game set out to do which was player interaction. Of both kinds. They didn't want it being all out war where everyone shot each other on sight without trying to communicate.

That's what it has become now, but rocket himself expressed how he was trying to change things to try stop some of this. There's nothing wrong with killing other players but when it's just for funsies or killing right after spawning in then it's ridiculous. It defeats what the game is trying to convey.

The only thing I don't like is weapon degrade. Most modern weapons degrade very slowly over time. Especially if they are rarely used. An Axe is more likely to degrade quicker than a gun for example.. Because you have to use the Axe to chop wood AND or use on zombies. They'd be easier to fix as all that would be needed is to sharpen it back up.

Edited by Forgewolf

The only thing I don't like is weapon degrade. Most modern weapons degrade very slowly over time. Especially if they are rarely used. An Axe is more likely to degrade quicker than a gun for example.. Because you have to use the Axe to chop wood AND or use on zombies. They'd be easier to fix as all that would be needed is to sharpen it back up.

Well, I think the idea of weapon degrade is good, but in a realistic way. I mean, as you say, weapons degrade slowly over time, but only if they are well maintained.

I would like to see implemented a system in wich you have to disassembly the weapon and then clean it, and all thatTo do that you need some tools, you need a light source... And I´m not talking about minigames, but about taking your time to maintain your weapon. Because in a survival experience, you might prefer a revolver, which is easier to maintain than a modern pistol, and you don´t need to spend that much time vulnerable doing the basic maintenace , but the pistol has more rounds... And talking about assault rifles, we all know the famous AK is supposedly very resistant, but has a lot of recoil. Also, the ACOG sights can break, the supresor can break if the correct ammo is not used...

Edited by Mitor
  • Like 1

Lol, rocket thinks he lost players because of no end game content. No. You lost players because hacking ruined your game.

Weapon degradation is going to be nice. Weapons won't spawn in perfect condition either (I believe rocket said something about that, might not be true anymore) so you'll really want to check out that Enfield you saw in the barn if you're using a beat up Winchester. Sounds good to me.

The incoming flood of deathmatcher tears are going to drown us all.

Edited by SausageKingofChicago
  • Like 1

Lol, rocket thinks he lost players because of no end game content. No. You lost players because hacking ruined your game.

He might have lost players, but the game is NOT ruined.

But this is a game, everything is faster like eating and drinking. So a weapon can be made to break down 4 or 5 times faster than IRL.

I'm looking forward for some new low-grade weapons and BOWS! That will be awesome.

Weapon degradation is going to be nice. Weapons won't spawn in perfect condition either (I believe rocket said something about that, might not be true anymore) so you'll really want to check out that Enfield you saw in the barn if you're using a beat up Winchester. Sounds good to me.

The incoming flood of deathmatcher tears are going to drown us all.

So logic would dictate anything found in a crashed chopper would be damaged! LoL this will change players perception and add more danger to the situation with more Zeds. I only hope he includes the tools in order to repair the damaged items. Would this not also be true for vehicle parts recovered from crashed vehicles?

I cannot wait until I visit a high grade weapon area, I will shoot each weapon I don't want to take, rendering them useless for other players. Suck on that idea Player killers, sniping will not be about killing no more, I am gonna aim for your weapons first then hunt you down like a Tiger when you are un-armed.

Perhaps the body injury will be incorporated into the UI for item management? a picture of a body like in Fallout 3 showing the injured area would be O.K. I couldn't imagine different visual cues for every different type of injury. Time for injury recovery would add to player experience and taking medication should not be a once only rule.

My eyes can not wait to see the new map, Ambrosia for the eyes.

Edited by Michaelvoodoo25
  • Like 1

Oh great.... Poo will be the new griefing tool. :P

Poo on the tops of ladders....... Alice packs full of poo...... tents packed with poo which duplicates on server restart.

Edited by jblackrupert
  • Like 2

I was there Saturday, wish I could of gone to this! :(

Nope, I guess you didn´t get it. This is NOT a PVP game. This is a survival game in a zombie-apocalypse. COD or BF3 are PVP-games. You can do PVP in DayZ but this is not the main part of the game and doing (just) PVP is not the way this game is meant to be played. The PVP part is for sadistc, cruel people who kill others just for the fun or better gear - poor souls with no sense for humanity.

• Like 3

Nope, I guess you didn´t get it. This is NOT a PVP game. This is a survival game in a zombie-apocalypse. COD or BF3 are PVP-games. You can do PVP in DayZ but this is not the main part of the game and doing (just) PVP is not the way this game is meant to be played. The PVP part is for sadistc, cruel people who kill others just for the fun or better gear - poor souls with no sense for humanity.

You are taking things too seriously mate. Go outside and talk to girls ( *hints, girls= Human beings with roundy chest, most of them)

• Like 1

- UI removed, talks about a vomiting animation and other cues to show you are sick.

This i'm no fan of - you will feel ill long before you get to the point of puking however with no UI you won't have a clue till you get to the end stage. That would be like getting a cold but rather than feeling it coming on you're walking along and suddenly you sneeze and your nose starts dribbling and goes all red you suddenly feel hot, etc.

Also the take on helicopters flight model will only be useful for 3 people on each server

I have a question or two...

Somebody here on forums mentioned that Rocket confirmed realease in November or something like that (during EuroGamer session), is it true?

Second question: I would love to be able control helicopters only via hotkeys for few basic controls for flying... but for starting engine and getting ready to fly off i would prefer to use only mouse like in TotH, it have to be hard to fly helicopters not easy like it is now... did he mentioned it somewhere? (Not flying dynamic but that cockpit controls)

Want to steal people NVG's?? Don't shoot them in the head then!