nkato

This game is extremely unfriendly to Deaf players.

Join the server Neville Bartos side chat is on. just dont talk over it.

Maybe if your getting shot at a Battlefield style indicator could show up. but i think it only shows if you get hit (and its not always accurate).

Im not color blind but i prefer to have debug on so i know exactly what my health is.

I guarantee I will catch the ire of every single person on these forums, but I don't know how else to make my point.

Any idea to make the game better for a disabled person should be a non-default option. Or there should be an option to disable it, if it takes away from the sense of immersion I want to feel.

• Like 1

Last I heard on this, both ideas and thoughts are being looked at by the devs for BOTH deaf and color blind people. =) I do not have the full details. I just know that it was already on the table. =)

That really does make me feel better. I will relay it to my buddies, and hopefully the OP will find some solace in it as well.

Idea: Captions for other players footsteps or gunshots.

Idea #2: Add a "deaf mode" or something where surround sound is disabled, so that way you hear everything in one headphone or whatever.

It is a tough one to solve without enabling the side chat again. As has been pointed out there are a lot of servers out there with it enabled again, especially the new maps that have come out.

It is probably a bit extreme but since we have peripheral dots for vision outside the screen i agree that there should there be an option for sound dots. The sounds would have to be true sounds heard, not ambient sounds. Dont know how much of a help this would be though if someone is telling you to speak or i will shoot.

Idea #2: Add a "deaf mode" or something where surround sound is disabled, so that way you hear everything in one headphone or whatever.

Without looking you should be able to do that allready what game doesnt have stereo or mono options.

I don't see how side chat would help you avoid getting ganked by a bandit.

I'm always up for features that allow more people to play, regardless of 'health'. Hopefully something gets added so you can have a more level playing field

Subtitled footsteps would be game breaking...

And I'm pretty sure you can set your PC to output in mono, even If the game didn't allow it (which it probably does).

Edited by mZLY

well, to solve your problems would probably lead to a GUI, wich could be togglable in difficulty or whatever, theres no other way, sound receiving better visual cues for any player.

Just thought I'd mention in case you didn't hear that in the latest eurogamer talk Rocket mentioned this and said that he really wants to add an option that disables sound and gives deaf people visual cues instead. So good job starting this thread.

Just an idea... could you tie all in game sounds to an easily recognisable icon, examples :-

a footprint for footsteps, 2 for running, 3 for sprinting

a zeds head for zombie, plus a number to show multiple zeds

a flash for a gunshot, or even a sillhouette of the actual gun fired to help with identification

etc etc

You could colour code to express distance, and a kind of radar icon to indicate direction.

Of course with multiple sounds there would perhaps be difficulties but even with good hearing many sounds at once can cause confusion.

As I say, just an idea

I'm sure it would be pretty simple to implement and easy to understand and use, it would even be useful for able eared players who, for whatever reason want to mute the volume.

Just thought I'd mention in case you didn't hear that in the latest eurogamer talk Rocket mentioned this and said that he really wants to add an option that disables sound and gives deaf people visual cues instead. So good job starting this thread.

As Above, Rocket touched on it briefly in his EuroGamer presentation when talking about the removal of the UI, to summarise, the proposed solution (it's not coded currently) is there will be an option to disable all sound and replace it with some kind of UI, hopefully this will avoid exploits but also support those players who need it.

http://dayzmod.com/f...tation-article/

Edited by smasht_AU

Hi there, glad this person talking about sound problem for deaf people. I am deaf too, but i can hear a little with my hearing aid. I playing this game for few months since it was released in last April, i usually stream my own Twitch account. So I bought few deaf friends to trying play this game. One of my friend told me, it was not clear to hear at all went becoming silence. When i was walking with my friend deaf, he didn't hear gunshots, but I do hear some. I'm not really i can hear in the far distance.. Every time i helped out my friends whose are deaf. For me, this year i will probably buy a headset to help higher volume in the game with using my hearing aid. I do not would get complain myself tho. It would great if new UI feature is coming. :)

Edited by Dono
  • Like 1

No offense but video games are unfriendly to blind people too. And i don't think anyone is losing any sleep about that. I don't want to sound harsh or uncaring, but you have to pick past times that are apropriate to your sensory abilities.

No offense but video games are unfriendly to blind people too. And i don't think anyone is losing any sleep about that. I don't want to sound harsh or uncaring, but you have to pick past times that are apropriate to your sensory abilities.

Thats's also true but sometimes you want to reach beyond your horizon and i won't forbid them to do exactly that. While IRL when you had an apocalypse you wouldn't find any handicapped people on the streets except for Eli...

This is true.... but then, i bet someone once said that to a blind man who wanted to read.....

Purhaps Rocket should look into finding a deaf game designer to look into this area, as there is bound to be a solution...

The only issue really, is ensuring the solution cant (or will very rarely) be exploited by able-bodied players

Why was this topic resurrected?

The discussion had its time.