TheMachine

There should be no high grade weapons in standalone

I disagree!! No high end weapons? given where it is and the millitary presence.... if anything more high end weapons,, just increase the risk involved to obtain them.

But that is...

I'm fully supporting the protest for less CoD style guns. Just more micromanagement isn't the way to do it. IMHO.

You are right the removal of the .50 cal has been discussed alot...

Still no good reason to remove it !

Why remove it!!! WHY ?

I'm not going into this again, plenty of good reasons to take these out and no reasons for keeping them, except as mentioned, to keep the kiddies happy.

I hope there will be much more close combat weapons like knifes,...

Sniper Rifles, Shotguns, MG´s should be really rare. Like 5/100 People should have weapons like these on a server. I would like to see more Pistols,....

I hope one day if there is an apocolypse that I am surrounded by some of the people in this thread as while you turnips are taping kitchen knives to broomsticks or trying to pimp out your .177 air rifle I will have spent a pleasant hour or so across the street from me emptying out a military armoury and i will proceed to roll around in my FV510 Warrior feeling like the boss as I make you all my bitches.

• Like 1

I hope one day if there is an apocolypse that I am surrounded by some of the people in this thread as while you turnips are taping kitchen knives to broomsticks or trying to pimp out your .177 air rifle I will have spent a pleasant hour or so across the street from me emptying out a military armoury and i will proceed to roll around in my FV510 Warrior feeling like the boss as I make you all my bitches.

Room for another dude?

• Like 1

I'm not going into this again, plenty of good reasons to take these out and no reasons for keeping them, except as mentioned, to keep the kiddies happy.

All im saying is there are vehicles... there are Anti-Material Weapons.... they go hand in hand!

• Like 1

We can have 1 each its not like theres anyway to lock them (that cant be defeated with a good kick or a few jumps on the hatch) and they start with a push button :)

Excellent!! Roll on the end of the world!

You wouldn't find a British assault rifle or an American sniper rifle in Russian airfields (Russian being the key word here try and understand that)

Why not? Do you think Russia's choppers fell out of the sky because they were crappy, or that they just decided to plonk medical tents in cities for no reason at all?

Why not? Do you think Russia's choppers fell out of the sky because they were crappy, or that they just decided to plonk medical tents in cities for no reason at all?

Agree'd, the situation in Chernaus is obvious, road block medical and military tents together, the place is in lockdown during the infection, NATO lead missions would be in and out the place meaning a variety of weapons would be on offer, think of it as an international battlefield in Russia's back garden, oh yeah and there are sometimes these undead guys that get in your way...

All im saying is there are vehicles... there are Anti-Material Weapons.... they go hand in hand!

anti materiel however wouldnt do much more damage to a person as a M24, in some cases even less

the problem isnt the .50 cals being in the game, it's their ridiculous power against human targets coming with no downside whatsoever, hell the as50 is even semi automatic, i call that BS, no normal person could fire a .50 semi automatic like in dayZ without breaking his arm and being deaf

for anyone wondering: heres a thread about how .50 effects humans: http://community.discovery.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9741919888/m/4041982359

anti materiel however wouldnt do much more damage to a person as a M24, in some cases even less

BULLSHIT ALARM 12.7mm (.50) is going to do more damage than 7.62mm

the problem isnt the .50 cals being in the game, it's their ridiculous power against human targets coming with no downside whatsoever, hell the as50 is even semi automatic, i call that BS, no normal person could fire a .50 semi automatic like in dayZ without breaking his arm and being deaf

Guess you have no experience with firearms, and yes these weapons exist though granted you cant fire it with any accuracy whatsover unless your prone, deafness???.... go fire a rifle

for anyone wondering: heres a thread about how .50 effects humans: http://community.dis...88/m/4041982359

So it makes big holes in people but doesnt penetrate bank vaults.... we needed this nugget because?

.50cal weapons are an evil weapon against flesh and blood, you don't even have to hit your target to shred a limb off due to the sheer force of the bullet tearing through the air and the pressure that brings....

you get hit by a .50cal then it's game over.. and whats left over aint pretty either

The point isn't to remove pvp , it's to make it more exciting. It's so you would actually have to get in the action instead of watching tv shows while watching (yo dawg) over a high value loot spot from the hills with your trusty laser cannon of a gun. Now, i'm not saying snipers should be removed, but the .50 cals definitely should . They take no skill and discourage the players from actually engaging anyone since chances are they will get instakilled and will not be able to counter in any way.Not to mention that getting a vehicle is quite a hassle and the .50 cals negate your day long efforts 1 bullet at a time.

And I won't even begin on the l85 and it's ability to completely destroy the suspense since it's more or less just like a wallhack.

It also matters fuckall whether the high-end weapons are actually common irl or not , since they just don't fit into the game at all.

I have much more to say on this topic , however for the weapon system to be perfect it would take the game to be entirely different ( i.e actually scarce resources , gear worth ten times it's weight in gold , player built structures .)

Edited by DirtySpartan

The point isn't to remove pvp , it's to make it more exciting. It's so you would actually have to get in the action instead of watching tv shows while watching (yo dawg) over a high value loot spot from the hills with your trusty laser cannon of a gun. Now, i'm not saying snipers should be removed, but the .50 cals definitely should . They take no skill and discourage the players from actually engaging anyone since chances are they will get instakilled and will not be able to counter in any way.Not to mention that getting a vehicle is quite a hassle and the .50 cals negate your day long efforts 1 bullet at a time.

And I won't even begin on the l85 and it's ability to completely destroy the suspense since it's more or less just like a wallhack.

It also matters fuckall whether the high-end weapons are actually common irl or not , since they just don't fit into the game at all.

I have much more to say on this topic , however for the weapon system to be perfect it would take the game to be entirely different ( i.e actually scarce resources , gear worth ten times it's weight in gold , player built structures .)

Exactly, you dont need to remove them, they need to be adjusted and balanced so that gameplay becomes more interesting for both sides instead of the one- shot kills ruining the gameplay experience for everyone. It is turning players off as no one wants to go into towns or risk encounters that you already know are one-sided outcomes. It is why I am not opposing removal of the weapons but adjustment and balance instead.

Adding weapon jams would increase player survival chances vs other players while inadvertently decreasing it vs zombies, by forcing a reload (which is visible to the player as animation. Also you get more exciting gameplay as a bonus as it creates tension on both sides trying to survive). Empty or randomly filled ammo clips can be collected with "Scrap Metal" to make bullets in factory locations or bases when implemented. Weapon maintenance can be undertaken with the "Toolbox". This would lower the chance of weapons jamming but not eliminate it completely. All of these mechanics exisis ingame already (legs broken, shock, bleeding, food, water, infection, cold, etc), so these can be utilised with a minimal micro-management overhead that is already a part of this game. Im also betting the standalone will have issues like this anyway.

in a situation such as mass infection/natural virus wiping out humanity/ or severe dna mutation and contamination, ammo would be cleared out by gangs/clans/tribes, there would be empty shells and not a lot else. You would have to go from town to town naturally in order to scavenge far more than you do right now. It takes 5 minutes to gear up in this game, so the value on human life, trading or encounters is practically nil. This "sniper on the hill" mentality should not really exist, players would actually have to think before they use their precious ammo instead of just killing everythng in sight.

Spending the afternoon making twenty-five other players log out/server hop is simply proving that its not worth playing anymore. Combine that with hacking issues and you have a real problem on your hands, one that could ruin this mods long term success and the standalone version when it goes live. These problems will not go away and need fixing soon Rocket!

(I know they are working on the hacker issue...)

If I did not know any better, I would think this is some mass experiment and we are all rats in a maze, while someone writes down the results. I see the clipboard and someone saying "interesting" and makes another note on his paper... Thats the beauty of mods in alpha/beta status!

Edited by daz81

People just want deathmatch on a gigantic open world with crazy weapons, belt fed machine guns? really?

Thermal optics?

No one's denying these weapons exist in real life, they just don't have a place in a game like this.

I want more of a challenge, I want fighting to be over resources and possibly (in standalone) over shelter and territory, not over frag count and 'whatever weapon that guy has I want'.

Pvp should be challenging, gritty and satisfying, not super slick pro style 'sn1pa on da hill'.

Fights should be drawn out and desperate.

the thing is, if day z was a realistic scenario, raiding downed nearby militarty bases would be the first thing people do. having high grade weapons like that will not only protect u from infected victims, but also secure your territory AND your collected resources from other people who will no doubt kill u over just a can of beans in a lawless world.

i agree that i dont want it to be a pvp deathmatch either, but you have to realize that gigantic cities with bountiful resources WILL be guarded and protected by well equiped organizations like the military. and if the military is all dead then the next best thing is to steal there shit and guard the territory urself. so its not a bad thing to have high grade gear, its only bad if there is a ton of it around.

Edited by Ballistixz

I finally played some of the Arma2 campaign, and while I agree that assault rifles and especially exotic sniper rifles should be much less common, keep in mind that the area we operate in has just gone through a major war.

I'm not 100% sure if DayZ is meant to proceed the conflict in Arma2. While running through the woods I attempt to piece together what's going on in this region. Almost every town is choked with the remains of military vehicles and there are roadblocks/military encampments all over. I kinda suspect that at some point somebody busted out a nasty bio weapon, and hence we now have a zombie problem. Given that DayZ is what happens after the war it would make sense that there are lots of military grade weapons lying around. That said, even if there were all out war followed by some sort of calamity, there wouldn't be so many high caliber sniper rifles available. M4s and AKs however would be everywhere, especially considering the scale of the military activity.

• Like 1

Civilian vehicles vs as50, vehicles which have no defences, no armor and no chances against this noob canon, yeah it's easy to why some people want this, but it does not belong in dayz.

Remember that Chernarus is a former Soviet satellite country that was just rocked by a massive civil war, and then zombies. The military is dead, as are most people, so all the weapons are laying around.

• Like 1

Remember that Chernarus is a former Soviet satellite country that was just rocked by a massive civil war, and then zombies. The military is dead, as are most people, so all the weapons are laying around.

No matter how many times this is said, people just don't get it.

Yep the military is dead. They didn't fire a single shot the entire time the apocalypse started so there are full clips of ammunition everywhere. And you, a single survivor, manage to pumps out thousands of rounds before death. The military is so useless.

Yep the military is dead. They didn't fire a single shot the entire time the apocalypse started so there are full clips of ammunition everywhere. And you, a single survivor, manage to pumps out thousands of rounds before death. The military is so useless.

Have you ever seen any of the warehouses full of ammo and arms in a post-Soviet state? Or any country? There's warehouse upon warehouse filled with tens (or hundreds) of thousands of crates of ammo in them with two cans each, each containing anywhere from 440 (7.62x54r)- 1080 (5.45x39) rounds each.

When countries go through civil wars like Chernarus did, that stuff spreads all over the place. I don't know if you remember the Libya conflict, but there were those warehouses full or arms and people were just running in, grabbing a few crates of ammo and guns, and running out. And Libya wasn't even a Soviet country. Imagine what a country that actually produced it's own arms and ammo would have,

• Like 1

As a Russian resident I can assure you that possessing a gun in Russia or Ukraine is a real pain in the ass (just like in Europe in general), so most people don't have one, unlike the people in Middle East or Noth Africa. Massive amounts of civil weapons can be there only as a result of VERY continuous civil war (maybe a decade?)... possibly.

But judging by the landscape, Chernarus is very obvoiusly inspired by Crimea or Moldova, that's not so far from current or potential flashpoints, so who knows.

Edited by KizUrazgubi