TheMachine

There should be no high grade weapons in standalone

To dip into the lore, we can assume Chernarus was still in the middle of the war with Russia and the US, due to all the Humvees and tanks around. So if they're in wartime, then there'd be lots of guns around.

thanks for all the comments.

i think some folks lost the main point of my post - probably my fault for not making it clearer.

i'm suggesting ditching the high-end, super-rare gear not because i think it shouldn't be there, but because the rarity of these items affects players who (legitimately) acquire them. you have to work super hard to get them, so when you do you tend to become super-cautious. you engage less. and i realised this when i was killed, back down to an AK i found at balota, got into a firefight and had the best 10 minutes of gameplay on dayz as i'd had in about 3 weeks.

i love the spread of kit that's in the game right now, i just don't like the fact that having the rarer stuff makes me, and others, super-scared of dying. that's part of the mechanic, but it's also the reason most people then stay on low-pop servers, and combat log or alt-f4 at the drop of a hat.

i honestly don't believe we can have a balance of gameplay styles without making some of the rare stuff easier to find. NVGs being as common as, say, FN-FALs would make a difference to the amount of people on night-time servers for example. that would improve the overall experience of everyone. make things hard to find, but never super-rare. let people hoard equipment safely that they're not going to use all the time.

i know that *you* are superbadass and never die, or don't care when you die because you have the time to spend two weeks checking crashed helis to find your rare kit again. but most other people don't - and those are the people *you* should want to be playing against, so you can kill them with your sniper/NVGs/DMR/rare kit without them combat logging or simply not being there (and on a low-pop server).

thanks for all the comments.

i think some folks lost the main point of my post - probably my fault for not making it clearer.

i'm suggesting ditching the high-end, super-rare gear not because i think it shouldn't be there, but because the rarity of these items affects players who (legitimately) acquire them. you have to work super hard to get them, so when you do you tend to become super-cautious. you engage less. and i realised this when i was killed, back down to an AK i found at balota, got into a firefight and had the best 10 minutes of gameplay on dayz as i'd had in about 3 weeks.

i love the spread of kit that's in the game right now, i just don't like the fact that having the rarer stuff makes me, and others, super-scared of dying. that's part of the mechanic, but it's also the reason most people then stay on low-pop servers, and combat log or alt-f4 at the drop of a hat.

i honestly don't believe we can have a balance of gameplay styles without making some of the rare stuff easier to find. NVGs being as common as, say, FN-FALs would make a difference to the amount of people on night-time servers for example. that would improve the overall experience of everyone. make things hard to find, but never super-rare. let people hoard equipment safely that they're not going to use all the time.

i know that *you* are superbadass and never die, or don't care when you die because you have the time to spend two weeks checking crashed helis to find your rare kit again. but most other people don't - and those are the people *you* should want to be playing against, so you can kill them with your sniper/NVGs/DMR/rare kit without them combat logging or simply not being there (and on a low-pop server).

So because "YOU" get super paranoid, everyone should be denied the weapons "YOU" deem to important to lose? I'm I reading you right? Most people on low pop servers are hiding for other reasons as well. Which is their right to. Alt-F4 douches alt F-4 regardless of kits, they are just lil wussies. This game is as balanced as any will ever be, anyone can achieve big dog status, this isn't a cookie cutter game where because some shmoe is butthurt things need to be changed with the game. Maybe it is you who needs to change! I am in no way "super" anything, but i take my deaths like a man, then work on regearing like is intended. Buck up skippy and learn this isn't your average game... which is why we play it. Your opinion is just as worthless as mine when it comes to design, the only people who matter are Rocket and his team. The run the show just enjoy it or leave please.

• Like 1

Yeah i agree High Grade Weapons, if they just had a really really low drop chance, but i like helicopter crashes with cool gear...

So because "YOU" get super paranoid, everyone should be denied the weapons "YOU" deem to important to lose? I'm I reading you right? Most people on low pop servers are hiding for other reasons as well. Which is their right to. Alt-F4 douches alt F-4 regardless of kits, they are just lil wussies. This game is as balanced as any will ever be, anyone can achieve big dog status, this isn't a cookie cutter game where because some shmoe is butthurt things need to be changed with the game. Maybe it is you who needs to change! I am in no way "super" anything, but i take my deaths like a man, then work on regearing like is intended. Buck up skippy and learn this isn't your average game... which is why we play it. Your opinion is just as worthless as mine when it comes to design, the only people who matter are Rocket and his team. The run the show just enjoy it or leave please.

Well said! Some people need to understand they either enjoy it or leave it. This game has become super popular and people are trying to change it to the average game we have on the market. This is NOT an average game, it's a hardcore survival simulation (as far as i understand) which might have gotten too popular now.

People farm crash sites and server hop.

So technically if alot of players did so all players could be rocking as50s around.

Plus when an as50 is dropped another person gets it, they hardly get destroyed.

When theirs a server restart theirs new choppers. Some servers are restarting so much many people have crash site items.

I agree with OP but he doesn't take this far enough, I mean really guns aren't all that common and all those dead soldier that are lying around the map should prove that. The military probably didn't even go in with any weapons sure they had tanks, Humvee's and Heli's but that doesn't mean they were expecting a fight. The fact of the matter is that the military just didn't think they would need any high power weapons to deal with this new threat and left them all in the armoury.

• Like 1

Take all American/British sniper rifles out the game and make the SVD more common that and the CZ should be the only two sniper rifles in the game anything else is unrealistic.

I agree. There shouldn't be high tech military weapons, IN FREAKING MILITARY BASES.

Look OP, I mean no offense, I really don't, but you are like 99% of the population who are dabbling in problem solving, you are throwing the baby out with the bath water.

I say that because the problem isn't the weapons. The problem is that there isn't an actual problem. Go back to the point of the mod...experiment with a couple days of survival. Get that emotion. That danger close situation. Get that experience.

So the real question is how does high end weapons fit into that? Honestly, if you take a second and think about it...think it through...it does just fine. On a high pop server, other players rocking high end gear...it makes it harder to survice. Check.

I again ask your indulgence, and understand I am not trying to offend, but it seems that you want the point of the experience to change. You want firefights. You want a better pvp experience. That's not the point of this mod. Sure, people have made it that, but that's them. Firefights should be short and brutal. Brutal being the point. They should be avoided, not sought after...and if you have them...you shoudl be able to make decisions that allow you to mitigate that risk.

We throw around the term CoD all the time...but honestly...that's the game you want. CoD with Zombies. I am sorry, but that's not a "survival mod". It just isn't. So basically you want a different game. Or atleast that's what it sounds like. If I am wrong, my apologies.

Now, the problem I see that needs to be fixed is that things should be realistic. Rare. And no, if one more person says weapons are rare I will shoot myself. What's really rare is the technology to make high end, high grade, match ammo. What's really rare is the ability to mass produce that ammo and the batteries that power those optics.

Simpley put, there are hundreds of millions of weapons on the planet. There are over 7 million NOS Mosin-Nagants. Millions of SKS's, millions of AK-47s and their variants. They'll be every where. Weapons will be everywhere, parts will be every where. Everyone, and I mean EVERYONE will eventually have a gun. However, over time, there will be no more ammo. As it's used and hoarded it will become rare.

Check out the opening of NBC's Revolution, yeah, just another big media feaux end-of-the-world show...but they are using homemade swords, crossbows, black powder rifles...and when homie pulls out the Desert Eagle, it's like an act of God...because after 15 years it's rare and only the boss has it.

My fixes: Better inventory, more weapons, more melee weapons, rarer high end systems, batteries not included...need batteries and they shoudl be rare, ammo should be rare, as one poster touched on...the assumption should be who ever had those weapons used that ammo trying to defend themselves.

Out.

• Like 2

I agree. There shouldn't be high tech military weapons, IN FREAKING MILITARY BASES.

You wouldn't find a British assault rifle or an American sniper rifle in Russian airfields (Russian being the key word here try and understand that)

You wouldn't find a British assault rifle or an American sniper rifle in Russian airfields (Russian being the key word here try and understand that)

You might in the aftermath of a Russia v. NATO conflict, or if NATO had attempted to assist with the zombie containment. What's really confusing is finding Enfields and Colt Governments all over the place in civilians homes. That's just laughably wrong.

Rocket clearly didn't want to make a traditional zombie survival game where you kill zombies with baseball bats. He wanted to make a game with the extreme weapons of arma, and that's what it will be.

If you want a game that doesn't have towns littered with guns, then this is not your game. Go play something else.

You might in the aftermath of a Russia v. NATO conflict, or if NATO had attempted to assist with the zombie containment. What's really confusing is finding Enfields and Colt Governments all over the place in civilians homes. That's just laughably wrong.

Thats an ARMA constraint though there are eastern weapon packs that add all the sov block kit you can imagine from nagants and SKS's to stetchkin pistols though I guess adding them to DayZ would have involved licencing issues with the creators (look for vilas east weapons pack if you want to try it in editor).

Not only that... but he's assuming that Chernarus = Real World Russia. Who's to say that NATO doesn't have FOB's throughout Chernarus? Who's to say NATO doesn't have a presence at the airfields? Point being, the Day Z world is fictional... thus, Rocket is probably going to take some creative liberties. If that means high-end weapons become rarer, fine. But they should remain a hallmark of the mod.

What would be the purpose of putting in cliche'd zombie weapons? You'd just have Dead Island - Autumn Terror! Part of Day Z's lineage, and purpose, is to realistically depict a zombie apocalypse/infection. And surprise, surprise, guess what is becoming more and more prevalent in the real world? Small-arms proliferation.

Even regular 11B's get fucking Multicam BDU's, tricked out M4's, PMAGs, and I've even seen some sporting suppressors nowadays. The days of SOF having all the dope gear and the grunts having Vietnam-era M16's are over, same goes with Russia and their AK-variants. Sure, SOF might have a slight advantage in that they get new equipment, and new products with -slight- advantages (ex. SCAR, SpecterDR, SOPMOD Block II stuff). But, honestly, ARMA 2's arsenal is -dated- as hell. If you think an M4A1 with a foregrip, Aimpoint, and a flashlight is "high-end", maybe you should talk to every 11B in Afghanistan right now... or every firearms enthusiast in the United States.

- ARMA 2's arsenal is dated and nothing there is "high-end", save for perhaps the AS50 (Which sucks in-game by the way, why do people think it's god's gift to man?)

- Day Z's purpose is to realistically depict a zombie infection. Thus, military weapons should be available in tandem with "civilian weapons"

- The line between military and civilian weapons is non-existant in a lot of countries. It's not as black and white as "Civilian = Hunting rifle w/ Walmart scope and Military = Mk 17 w/ PEQ-15 and EGLM". I've got an AR-15 with Magpul furniture and an ACOG, I'm a civilian... civilians can have semi-automatic military assault rifles in a lot of countries. Deal with it.

- Cliche'd zombie weapons are cliche'd, der.

(Post started out as a reply to yours and then evolved into a rant, so no offense intended. Sort of baffled as to why this thread is still here)

Edited by Katana67

(Post started out as a reply to yours and then evolved into a rant, so no offense intended. Sort of baffled as to why this thread is still here)

You're surprised? I called it as a troll thread six posts in. But clearly despite the initial troll, there's a spectrum of opinions on the topic. How the dev's intend to address that I dunno, we'll see.

Edited by sp86

All this hate for high-end weapons is totally and absolutely absurd.

I don't want to be using chainsaws, double-barrelled shotguns, bolt-actions, and fucking hatchets to kill zombies like every other cliche.

High-end weapons, be it an M4A1 with an optic... AK-variant... or an M107 -EXIST- in the world... -EXIST- on military bases... and similar analogs are readily available in most countries be it with the military or in the civilian realm.

I don't get why people have this adverse reaction to weapons like that, get your head out of Romero's ass and face the real world... these weapons exist and have a place in Day Z. -ESPECIALLY- given it's lineage from ARMA.

People will always hate on sniping... you know why? Because it... as a concept... is DESIGNED to be irritating. It's designed to be unfair, and too bad if you don't like it. We're not lining up in fields and taking "fair" shots at one another.

Sure, sniper rifles could be made rarer in Day Z. I have no problem with that. But when you say "Most weapons need to be removed from Day Z entirely" you sound like you don't know what you're talking about.

That's not what I'm saying. I don't want to turn DayZ into an extremely-gorey rip-zombies apart with chainsaws comedy like Zombieland. I just want enormous 50 caliber sniper rifles to be in more obvious areas like armories and not lying on the floor in a tent. And on the bodies of soldiers, rarely.

In a ghetto like Chernarus, the military won't really care enough to put down such an enormous military budget to throw M107's, AS50s and high-end high-caliber sniper rifles on the floor. They'd keep the big guns focused on more populated areas.

The VSS should be added or replace Bizon.

M107 replaced with M40

AS50 replaced with L115A3

L85 replace with ACOG version or other.

Just for starters.

• Like 1

These hi-end OP weapons only exist i suspect to keep the kiddies interested, it still feels like a mil-sim + zombies, originally it was the survival aspect of this game that made it unique but the focus on that seems to be lost.

• Like 1

The problem is not having hi-end game weapon.

The problem is they are not rare anymore.

So the problem is dupping and hacking !

In the stand alone it should be ok.

If hi-end game are rarer in the stand alone !!!

This is a no point thread after all.

The .50 cal is in game to stay... i hope so :)

Edited by Tabarnator

These hi-end OP weapons only exist i suspect to keep the kiddies interested, it still feels like a mil-sim + zombies, originally it was the survival aspect of this game that made it unique but the focus on that seems to be lost.

Well, once you have a decent rifle, a canteen, matches, an axe, and a hunting knife there is nothing else you need. So why even keep playing? Stuff you can find in 30 minutes of play can keep you alive forever (barring skiddy attack), so what do? Sit out in the woods forever?

I get emergent gameplay, but seriously, most of the time DayZ isn't a Survival Game, it's a hiking simulator.

Yes, exactly.

People WANT these ridiculous weapons and try to make silly arguments that they are 'realistic' and fitting with the game setting.

Ok bubba, make the argument that you could even carry an AS50.

Go on.

No?

Ah, that's right, because even if you're 6.2", 250 pounds and built like a brick shithouse, moving one of those is a 2 man job, and forget about any supplies or a second assault rifle in your backpack.

That's where you descend into the other argument that 'it's a game' and any pretence you had about realism goes out the window.

High end stuff SHOULD exist, I'm talking DMR's, CZ's, m14's and other goodies, but they should be super rare.

People don't really know or understand what makes a game 'fun' or interesting or gives it replay value, so they just want über shit because they think THAT'S it.

Wrong.

We'd all have a better time if my 5 man team was armed with winnies, ak's and pistols, fighting your 5 man team over a house we've stockpilled food and medical supplies in.

30 minute long wild west style standoffs would ensue.

More replay value and more interesting that 'RUNNING RUNNING RUNNING, AS50 AS50 RUNNING RUNNING RUNNING M249 SAWWWWWWWWWWWW' *5 guys laying dead and us high fiving*

That's what it is now and will remain until people GROW UP and relinquish their space cannons in favour of things more true to the setting and the genre.

Case - fucking- closed.

• Like 4

I would have to agree on this. At first it feels like a zombie survival horror game, but then ends up being a turkey shoot.

Well, once you have a decent rifle, a canteen, matches, an axe, and a hunting knife there is nothing else you need. So why even keep playing? Stuff you can find in 30 minutes of play can keep you alive forever (barring skiddy attack), so what do? Sit out in the woods forever?

I get emergent gameplay, but seriously, most of the time DayZ isn't a Survival Game, it's a hiking simulator.

Hopefully the standalone will have a better dynamic on the zombie survival aspect of the game and less of a turkey shoot aspect as it is now.