rocket

20 words or less: Super-Low Humanity Detection

More important then this humanity indicator stuff...I think psychology of the individual should come in to play more. Like a sanity meter, I know rocket has mentioned something like this. I find it to be waaaaaay more important then this tell who is who crap, this isn't freakin counterstrike okay. There needs to be real incentives for players to team up, rather for good or bad reasons.

I think the longer you are not within a certain close radius of other players for a significant amount of time ur sanity should start to decline. If it gets bad enough there should be a random occurance of someone punching themselves in the head and causing the player to not be able to move, shoot their gun, or anything but stand there for a couple seconds while they bash their head in and lose a little bit of blood in the process.

Once their sanity gets to be bad enough, they just put their gun to their head and *BANG* "You're Dead" :)

This allows people to still play like they want and find others that want to play it that way with them. Regardless of anything, whats relistic is if u dont have enuf interaction with real people...you're gonna go freakin nutzo.

I only say to have those harsh conditions cause I am saying it all under the consideration that dogs will be added to the game. So for players that want to go at it alone, they can have their sanity stay up by keeping their hunting dog alive and with them as much as possible.

The sanity meter if put in like this should take a long time to decrease but a much shorter time to increase.

As far as humanity meter, I personally would not like to have it do anything further then maybe make their appearance a bit more grungy and hobo-ish :P But the heartbeat idea is completely unrealistic and takes away from the emotional experience overall.

NO

I think the heartbeat thing would be too obvious.

I like the idea of bandits having a nervous tic & I also like the idea of bandits who have REALY REALY Low humanity or who havn't died in a while having no such tic.

YES, but only if you make the humanity system more sensible. It doesn't detect self defense very well. Making it more context-sensitive may not even be possible.

YES, BUT

Not sure how well the heartbeat mechanic would work. Perhaps a scroll option on the player for perceiving trustworthiness. Hmm...

YES' date=' but only if you make the humanity system more sensible. It doesn't detect self defense very well. Making it more context-sensitive may not even be possible.

[/quote']

Heartbeat mechanic is proposed only for SUPER LOW humanity. Not a few kills in self-defense....

YES

I really like the sound of this. Brings a lot more tension to close encounters, also might make people more hesistant to shoot others since they cannot track their own humanity.

YES

Test everything while alpha.

It's a reasonable mechanic.

Not exactly punishing murderers.

Adds new game play options.

Yes for testing out how this affectes DayZ. Just beware the potential bandit scanner in forests issues.

YES' date=' but only if you make the humanity system more sensible. It doesn't detect self defense very well. Making it more context-sensitive may not even be possible.

[/quote']

Heartbeat mechanic is proposed only for SUPER LOW humanity. Not a few kills in self-defense....

Just one problem there, killing someone with max humanity put you at minimum humanity value. In other words, you wouldnt be able to defend yourself on the coast at all.

NO

Serial killers are usually never suspected due to that they are not perceivable on these small levels.

NO

This would make it too obvious that its a player, and nullify the ghilliesuit and other camo.

Lying in a bush, sniping/looking, not really knowing if its a player or a bush is great, but hovering over this "bush" makes heartbeats? no thanks.

I can see the problem, but this doesnt make sense and doesnt fit in.

No.

Like the idea but this punishes certain playstyles in a game which thrives off player choices.

Most Pking happens when players first spawn in busy areas, and this would be useless as their heartbeat would be low because they havn't killed yet, thus not changing anything. Unless this humanity figure carries over to new characters.

I think there has to be an easier or more accessible way for players to help each other which I believe could come about with no weapon at spawn and decreased spawning of supplies.

YES

Give it a try. Like some say, make a slight delay between observation and heart-beat. Takes a while to look closely at someone. Maybe reduce the delay the longer the observing character is alive.

For those complaining about making camo/hiding useless, fear not. Arma II engine handles what the character 'percieves', not just what is actually 'there' (look at the description of the scripting command knowsAbout).

YES

But please add a subtle visual cue for those who are hearing impaired or don't play with high sound volume.

YES

But an appearance would be more suitable to try and get an idea of the person from a distance.

hell YES

Since you aren't really able to analyze people like godamn LA Noire, the game has really turned into a shoot-on-sight deathmatch.

YES

Wouldn't one of a list of possible sounds to alert levels of humanity be more interesting? More human like.

NO,

I have superb headphones. If people in game speak I can already pin point their location and almost distance. If you add this I will abuse it to locate people who would otherwise be invisible.

I like the Eve Online take on this. If I meet you and survive then I can add you as a mate and set varied levels of trust. You wrote somewhere you want to eventually introduce a clan system. Well start working on that now. If I increase someone's reputation then that reputation gets shared amongst the the clan. Someone who is a bandit to my clan therefore may not be a bandit to another clan.

Instead of the thought pattern that:

I killed you so therefore everyone should know that they should kill me

the direction should be I am a human who has relationships with others, that relationship can vary based on my history with that person.

If you add this I will abuse it to locate people who would otherwise be invisible.

How, if you have to be aiming at them and be at close range?