rocket

20 words or less: Super-Low Humanity Detection

NO.

Short Version:

This game is an adaptation of the age-old social experiment: “If you could kill someone without anyone ever knowing, would you?”. Having some kind of alarm system would trivialize this.

Long Version:

However subtle this effect is, it detracts from the unique experience of risk taking, in choosing to befriend someone rather than shoot them. This is unique to DayZ.

Bandits are an awesome part of this game, and a big part of this is that EVERYONE has the potential to be a bandit without you knowing. This mechanic would reduce that to simply 'goodies vs baddies'.

I would much rather have taken a risk and made a good teammate 1/10 times, then have some predictive system (ie heartbeat) and meet a friendly 5/10 times.

"If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?” -Aleksandr I. Solzhenitsyn

Edit: Rephrase.

NO

I don't think people who are good at hiding their emotions/intentions in real life should be punished in this manner in game. If you add any sort of bandit-detection, I think it should be up to the bandit to make some sort of mistake and be discovered.

Maybe you could make it so that the bandit has to have his weapon raised in order for the heartbeat sound to kick in (still at very close range).

YES.

I like the idea of a heartbeat. Makes it seem as if your character is panicking as he works out the other player's intentions.

YES.

I like the idea of a heartbeat. Makes it seem as if your character is panicking as he works out the other player's intentions.

But you wouldn't know their intentions until they did something that made that obvious. Being just close enough to someone doesn't tell you ANYTHING about them.

In fact anyone that being in proximity someone means they can read their intentions to are either living in a dreamworld or are very judgmental people. and judgmental people are VERY often wrong.

YES.

But you wouldn't know their intentions until they did something that made that obvious. Being just close enough to someone doesn't tell you ANYTHING about them.

In fact anyone that being in proximity someone means they can read their intentions to are either living in a dreamworld or are very judgmental people. and judgmental people are VERY often wrong.

I disagree.

Sorry about the over 20 words. Wanted to show the grounding to such a feature.

The heart beat is just an indication but just because you hear it, -the question is how loud will it be to mark a mass player killer verse someone who has done some bandit like kills but are not a kill on the spot player. There is a degree of error from what you perceive.

When your in a survival state your senses are increased and very sharp.

http://www.thebodysoulconnection.com/EducationCenter/fight.html

"When we experience excessive stress—whether from internal worry or external circumstance—a bodily reaction is triggered, called the "fight or flight" response.

When our fight or flight response is activated, .....These patterns of nerve cell firing and chemical release cause our body to undergo a series of very dramatic changes.......Our awareness intensifies. Our sight sharpens. Our impulses quicken. Our perception of pain diminishes. Our immune system mobilizes with increased activation. We become prepared—physically and psychologically—for fight or flight. We scan and search our environment, "looking for the enemy."

Rockets's Heart Beat Mechanic emulates this state.

no

Heartbeats won't change things

Mistaken safety will be all it brings

Bullets rain from afar with a sting

for as a bandit, I'm felt, but never seen

YES

Idea is interesting enough to test it :) . Devil is always in details. What's the range ;) ?

YES.

So long as it is NOT persistent between lives, this is a great idea. It's a great and subtle dynamic. However, I play each life differently, so being perceived as a murdered when I haven't actually murdered anybody would kind of suck. If it needs to be persistent, then the only way it would be okay in my opinion is if dying caused you to gain a lot of humanity back. Thus, if you died a couple of times, you wouldn't produce the heartbeat anymore.

Just my two cents on the idea. All in all, so long as it isn't persistent, I LOVE this idea.

YES.

Because it's worth a shot and if it sucks you can always remove it.

As an additional note (and going past the word limit, I apologise), I think it would make more sense if it's not the bandit's heartbeat you're hearing, but it's actually the quickening of your own heartbeat. That is, you feel yours start to race because you don't think something is right with them... the gut feeling / intuition you sometimes get around others.

NO

Louder heartbeats because you murdered people makes no sense. Subtle visual cues could work.

-----------

Expanded feedback:

DayZ has no rules, you have been adamant about that fact. Penalizing players for their actions (aside from exploiting or cheating) is absolutely silly, the proposed heartbeat indicator of low humanity is a penalty. I see no reason in the slightest that there needs to be any external indicators for discerning a players humanity. I also feel that it would be damaging to a players immersion, personally this doesn't bother me but other people might not like random heartbeat sounds in their "realistic" zombie shooter. I understand that this is a game and that certain creative liberties must be taken, but I do not feel this proposal has any place in DayZ.

That all being said, if this does get implemented it really wont bother me, I'm certainly not going to stop playing this incredible game just because people will have a deafeningly loud heartbeat sound when they look at me, it's a silly change but I'll nut up and get over it.

NO

I can't really see why it should be this way. After all I think the humanity-factor isn't even necessary, since you can be betrayed by anyone - wether he has ultra-high or ultra-low humanity.

No.

Wider range of humanity level should be recognizable.

Just make humanity visible, as an experiment.

There will need to be also a visual way wither by icon or something for players who are deaf or hearing impaired.

We will probably see the the mechanic to listen for but also some visual icon showing a pulse or wave like a heart beat monitor.

Yes

This perfectly portrays the feeling you would receive around a shifty character.

NO

Those players will already have killed you. Perhaps increase difficulty for bandits. Zombies aggro > or lose health faster.

There will need to be also a visual way wither by icon or something for players who are deaf or hearing impaired.

We will probably see the the mechanic to listen for but also some visual icon showing a pulse or wave like a heart beat monitor.

Dream on pal cant see that happening with all the bandits whining how it would be unfair for them.

Good idea tho I'm "hard of hearing" and would would benefit from a visual indicator.