NicholaiGinovaef

Current Dayz mod and the future Dayz Standalone game.

Sorry, I didin`t know where to exactly post this but I have a question for this community.In your opinion, do you believe that the Dayz Standalone game will be more popular in the future than the current Dayz Mod, I`m asking this because I`ve yet to buy Arma II, but knowing that a standalone game is comming, I don`t know which one to pick.

Edited by NicholaiGinovaef
  • Like 1

It depends on people's mentality and/or their level of ignorance towards the difference(s) between the mod and standalone.

The fact that there may perhaps be less hackers in Standalone could contribute to it being more popular.

• Like 1

Most definitely, look at how popular the mod is even with rampant hacking and bugs, standalone will be hugely popular IMO.

Edited by smasht_AU
  • Like 4

Standalone promises better security from hackers, bug fixes, new content, and future updates.

It will definitely be successful.

• Like 2

I imagine almost everyone is going to move to standalone when it is released.

• Like 1

I thought I read in an RPS interview with Rocket that the standalone alpha would be coming out in September. If that's true, I'd wait a little bit longer.

Edit: Nevermind. Here is the quote:

"Well, the next six months… we have to get the standalone, at least the initial version of the standalone, out. That has to be out very soon. So the idea is to get that available with a low price point, Minecraft style, ideally in October, but realistically I think we’re talking end of November."

Source: http://www.rockpaper...y-z-standalone/

Edited by Spacecraft
  • Like 1

It'll grow and be bigger later on.. Just like Minecraft.

At least we will be there right from the start

Ive played about 3 months and i wouldnt miss it for the world but when the standalone starts ill be changing over fairly quick.

All this was just the getting up to speed to release a standalone.

AAs to the OP's question

If you want to get a feel for DayZ then spend your money for armaAO but dont buy the all singing and dancing ArmaCO, just get the AO

If you dont want to get acustomed to a mod that will be different (probably very different) to the final game just wait.

Its up to you

"Most definitely, look at how popular the mod is even with rampant hacking and bugs, standalone will be hugely popular IMO."

roflmao. yes, keep telling yourself that.

DayZ has become boring.

People who have actually played it alot are so desperate for something new, they've flocking to Lingor, Utes or Takistan servers. On top of that it only takes so many instances of a hacker teleporting the whole server to a thunderdome and you losing all your shit, or any one of the other 100 types of hacker or engine related fuck-overs before you think "meh, fukkit, let's see what's new on [insert other game here]".

You'll get the newbs coming in and replenishing some of the numbers, and they'll be all excited and shit about the game's features, and they'll be sucking rocket-the-flopet's dick at every "patch" release but .... the old crowds, who were with this mod from the beginning, and have seen it all, and who are not impressed with dumb shit like dogs and beartraps and would rather have serious gameplay affecting issues fixed etc, are leaving, cause the mod has turned to shit.

Bet you DEVs are rushing the fuck out of the stand alone eh? Wouldn't want WarZ to steal your precious market share.

• Like 1

"Most definitely, look at how popular the mod is even with rampant hacking and bugs, standalone will be hugely popular IMO."

DayZ has become boring.

People who have actually played it alot are so desperate for something new, they've flocking to Lingor, Utes or Takistan servers. On top of that it only takes so many instances of a hacker teleporting the whole server to a thunderdome and you losing all your shit, or any one of the other 100 types of hacker or engine related fuck-overs before you think "meh, fukkit, let's see what's new on [insert other game here]".

You'll get the newbs coming in and replenishing some of the numbers, and they'll be all excited and shit about the game's features, and they'll be sucking rocket-the-flopet's dick at every "patch" release but .... the old crowds, who were with this mod from the beginning, and have seen it all, and who are not impressed with dumb shit like dogs and beartraps and would rather have serious gameplay affecting issues fixed etc, are leaving, cause the mod has turned to shit.

Bet you DEVs are rushing the fuck out of the stand alone eh? Wouldn't want WarZ to steal your precious market share.

All I read was blah blah I'm butt hurt teleblah! Ffs if you are so angry go play something else... Oh and quit posting this feces too!

• Like 1

Impossibru to predict.

Rocket's first goal was 600 players and DayZ ended up selling the shit out of ArmA2. If the standalone only sells a fraction of the additional ArmA2 sales, it'll probably still be considered a morderate succes. However if the standalone reaches half of the recent ArmA2 sales or even more, it'll will be a raging foaming monster and could possibly regain some of the original roaring hype that changed an ArmA mod into an internet sensation and maybe then, the standalone can go even further than the mod.

The standalone has to offer remarkable improvements against hacking and deliver a promise of more endgame options. Because we've pretty much already experienced all there is to surviving peacefully, living of the land and PvP in the cities/airfields. The standalone has to offer something more, not just to jusitfy the $15 price point, but also simply to keep players interested.

DayZ has become boring.

The mod was never released you dumbass, this is an alpha, an "experiment" you ain't playing this mod, you are testing it for the developers.

Hacking is only possible because the Arma II engine is made in such a way to allow players to use scripts, trying to fix ***ing will mean trying to completely reconfigure the Arma II engine (which will be done in the standalone which will use a highly stripped down version of Arma 3 engine)

If people are sick of bugs than maybe they shouldn't be testing a alpha version of a mod ? and go play BF3 or something.

Of course people will flock to something new, if everyone stopped playing new game and just stick to what they had we would all be playing text based games on a 18 bit PC that costed $500, it's called progress.

I am actually glad DayZ is so popular and you know why ? because it opened a door for game developers to a whole new type of game, the type of game I particularly enjoy, which means competition will get bigger and bigger and developers will have to come up with new ideas on how to improve there game and indirectly affect our gameplay, I admit that some changes will be good and some not but you can't always get what you want.

And one last thing, if you have half a brain you will understand this and stop wasting forum space with hate posts and stories about how WarZ it's gonna steal there market share, really ? a game with 5 minutes of footage and a few screenshots ? and from what I've heard it's going to be Pay2Win which will eventually destroy the game in a very short period of time

Just my two cents

The real question is, what is Rocket going to do to address the mass cheating situation? I'm finding less and less reason to play Day Z with each passing day. And today alone I've been killed by six cheaters.

So Rocket, how will you stop cheaters in the stand alone if you can't stop them in the current game form?

• Like 1

The real question is, what is Rocket going to do to address the mass cheating situation? I'm finding less and less reason to play Day Z with each passing day. And today alone I've been killed by six cheaters.

So Rocket, how will you stop cheaters in the stand alone if you can't stop them in the current game form?

Didn't you read my previous post ? the Arma II engine (which DayZ is built upon) it's very trusting and allows scripting that's how "hackers" are able to script in vehicles, ammo boxes and stuff. Rocket said in the most recent live stream that to stop the hacking in the DayZ mod will mean to totally change the Arma II engine which will directly affect the game (Arma II)

The standalone version of DayZ will be built on the Arma 3 engine severely stripped down and that is how he will fix the hacking, you also need to understand that no game is hack free and there will still be a few cases here and there but not as rampart as now.

The same reason zombies act like this in DayZ, it's because the Arma II engine simply was not built to do this, same answer here... Arma 3 engine severely modified to fit the game that Rocket is going for.

I imagine almost everyone is going to move to standalone when it is released.

Hello there

Almost everyone, not me :) I might be convinced to join in though, I'll wait for reviews.

Rgds

LoK

I'm tryin' to contain my rage and not troll too much. But, yeah, I've been a huge supporter and I'm sorta at my wit's end with the 'mod'.

It's taken some time for me to resolve my desire to play this type of game versus the clear evidence that this won't end well for anyone involved, not Rocket or BI or the players. This new genre, persistent survival action MMO, is a great concept. But it's being shepharded by folks who are way out of their league. It occured to me that the worst decision made was allowing this to go forward with BI's software. Rocket should have sold the IP to a large game developer that can truly deliver the content we players' desire. I have little trust that the hacking will ever be stopped. These script people are relentless and simply won't allow a small time game company any success. Without the resources of a large developer backed by a large publisher, the hackers will continue to discover workarounds to any anti cheat devices.

For those of you who are still in denial, you may continue to call others cry babies or butthurt or this QQ business, but you must realize that there would never, ever be any standalone game without all of us who explicitly purchased ARMA:CO to play this mod. You might say, "Hacking and cheating are a reality in the game industry, deal with it or find a new hobby." Well, by the same logic, I say, "You Arma hipsters are now the minority of the player base and us noob losers are now dictating the pr sentiment so either deal with it or find another arcane game mod."

A moment ago I read a forum mod post to the effect that the developers have discussed this issue at length here in the forums and elsewhere. Really? I'm on these forums, a lot. I haven't read much of anything about the cheating issue. There's certainly not been a firm statement from Rocket condemning the cheating and a demand that it end. I believe there's a climate of permissiveness that's been allowed to develop. For instance, most common response to cheat reporting from mods, "Gah, give me exemplary proof of the cheating or get the fuck outta my forums you noob fucking asshole! Thread locked!" Business is business, reality is reality. You wanna shove that 'it's a mod' crap down our faces, then fine. I'll shove some modern business reality down your faces. You may not be responsible for the cheating, but you are responsible for addressing it, which includes GOING OUT OF YOUR WAY to express sympathy with those who paid $40 to play a hack fest, whether you feel they are justified in their complaint or not.

QQ

You are a completely oblivious person then if you haven't seen anything about the cheating. It's been talked about to death and the standalone will clamp down on the scripters, because it will be it's own game. They can't fix it now cause the base game has a more open system that sounds like it was running on the "Honor System" to not hack, but with the popularity of DayZ, it brought the scum out of the woodworks.

And you payed 40 bucks for a game to play a mod that was well know for being buggy and having alot of hackers, you knew what you were getting into.

Edited by Maxgor

Lack of real end game content, technically to complete the game from a perspective that a game like this can be completed, is to gather enough to survive. Then the game turns into one and only one thing, a sandbox map with PvP. The kind of MMO we want this to be will never be achieved.

Hopefully a developer with alot of financial backing can take an idea like this and apply it to a decent MMO formula. I'd love to see a Fallout 3 MMO with alot of concepts from Day Z implemented. So you can enjoy the hostile environment and have some kind of quest or goal to keep you busy whilst at the same time being immersed into a populated world.

Lack of real end game content, technically to complete the game from a perspective that a game like this can be completed, is to gather enough to survive. Then the game turns into one and only one thing, a sandbox map with PvP. The kind of MMO we want this to be will never be achieved.

Hopefully a developer with alot of financial backing can take an idea like this and apply it to a decent MMO formula. I'd love to see a Fallout 3 MMO with alot of concepts from Day Z implemented. So you can enjoy the hostile environment and have some kind of quest or goal to keep you busy whilst at the same time being immersed into a populated world.

DayZ was never meant to be a MMO to the degree that needed quests and grinding and other stuff like that. It's a survival simulator. You try to survive, that was only ever the point. Do anything else and it's not DayZ. If your wanting that, your not wanting DayZ.

The mod was never released you dumbass, this is an alpha, an "experiment" you ain't playing this mod, you are testing it for the developers.

If it was never released then, how the fuck are we able to play it? Does that mean all dayz players have magical powers to play unreleased games/mods?

The standalone version of DayZ will be built on the Arma 3 engine severely stripped down and that is how he will fix the hacking, you also need to understand that no game is hack free and there will still be a few cases here and there but not as rampart as now.

It's not arma 3 but arma 2 / take on helicopters, same shit.

• Like 1

Rocket has said he will provide the tools and we build the game in how we use them

Games like this are very rare

FFs people the mod is like it is because the origanal game engine is exploitable why can no one understand this it has nothing to do with dayz

Arma was built for modding so dont be surprised if people can exploit it

The biggest problem with DayZ at this time is perception

It was built from an idea on the back of a fairly decent engine which allowed them to make what to all looks and feels like a game but it isnt..

Its an information gathering tool to build a game from

The fact that it went nuts and massivly over subscribed is not anyones fault but we prob can expect a game because it did that.

Be thankfull that it did.. it might be the best game we see in a long while.

All there is to say to any of this.

Its like knowone in this community has ever been a Alpha/Beta tester for any game/MMO before, Everything that is happening, issues, lack of content, hackers, etc etc etc..... is common place in this phase of a game.

But yes judge not what has happen so far on the Devs but wait for the standalone to see what they are actually made off. But what is happening right now has nothing to do with there skills. Welcome to Alpha/Beta testing people

I can't really tell if this was already prompted or answered, but when the standalone DayZ comes out, will we still need ArmA II to play it? Or since it is a standalone the original game won't be needed? I've been dwelling over this and I just had to ask :/

Anyways, I can't just wait for it to come out ^^ it's looking even more beautiful each day that passes, so I can't wait for the official release! I'll try to buy it as soon as I can :D Jesus I love this mod. Problem is sometimes spawn killing and bandits, but I guess that's legit, since it can happen even in real life. Well... spawn killing no, but bandits xD

Awesome game, aweosme mod, awesome team, legendary standalone!! :beans:

Edited by r0fld4nc3
  • Like 1

No you won't need ArmA.