rocket

20 words or less: Spawning without a weapon

Hear me out...

It's one of the most intriguing suggestions I've seen. I considered it right at the start of the project. With the new zombie line-of-sight calculations and the ability to loose them' date=' this might actually work

PRO:

- People spawning in can't quickly get into griefing

- Recovering your old loot becomes difficult and risky

- Add's a whole new element and gameplay at the start

- Maybe adds some authenticity, who has a handgun at home?

CON:

- It's [i']fucking annoying having to sneak and run around to find a gun (believe me, I just tried it)

- You can spawn many times before you actually have a life that finds a weapon

- Hackers, for the moment, will reveille in this change until their loopholes are closed

In twenty words or less, formatted with YES or NO in caps the line above, say your thoughts on trying this out

For the sake of efficiency, I will delete all posts that don't follow the above exactly, or don't add anything to the argument. It's not a poll, its a discussion. If you don't have anything to ADD then please don't post.

Just increase spawn rate of a common handgun within houses and all is good.

I like the challenge, do make the zombies more and more challenging.

Make them so challenging that eventually players would fear zombies more than each other.

That should be the key element to this game, not just PvP, it will give more reason to team up with others rather than just shooting them on sight.

Just increase spawn rate of a common handgun within houses and all is good.

I like the challenge' date=' do make the zombies more and more challenging.

Make them so challenging that eventually players would fear zombies more than each other.

That should be the key element to this game, not just PvP, it will give more reason to team up with others rather than just shooting them on sight.

[/quote']

what? you are suggesting to make zombies more dangerous than other players, which can kill you in 3 shots with a decent weapon, and also fighting those zombies without any sort of defence when you've freshly spawned? hardcore is nice, but this is way too extreme. People are already having difficulty adjusting to DayZ, which is fine, but it should not be impossible to do so.

^ You are a retard. he doesnt even say he lives in the US he just says that in the US this many people have guns and then speculates on the situation in Russia' date=' So that is a great exuse to randomly insult america. good going.

[/quote']

I was not randomly insulting America, I was insulting him and it wasn't random.

The 'ego' I was referring to was his own, not the collective ego of America.

Funny how people throw a fit when they think you badmouth the USA. Imagine if the russians behaved the same way, they get insulted all day long in here.

As he said, how do you know if I am even an American? Rocket posted how many people even have guns? And I just posted a fact. Then you jump all over me? Would it have been better if I said there is about 1 gun for every 6-7 people on the earth?

So then my ego is huge, and I am a terrible person now, and so is the U.S.

YES (Kinda)

Maybe give the player the option to choose initial load out. Start with a Pistol or a Medicine?

As he said' date=' how do you know if I am even an American? Rocket posted how many people even have guns? And I just posted a fact. Then you jump all over me? Would it have been better if I said there is about 1 gun for every 6-7 people on the earth?

So then my ego is huge, and I am a terrible person now, and so is the U.S.

[/quote']

Ok, leave out the part where I assume you are American (why else would you quote statistics of gun ownership in the US only), and my point remains:

"We know how Americans feel about firearms, but how does that relate to this game? It does not take place in America, America is irrelevant in this context."

Could you answer that?

NO

At least give me a fucking sharp stick!

Yes I own guns. I own so many guns zombies would avoid my land equal to a 1 mile radius.

If I didn't have guns, do you think I wouldn't find SOMETHING, anything, to defend myself with? I don't care what it is. If I think I can kill you/zombie with it, I'm going to use it. I'd fucking stab you with a spoon!

Spawning with absolutely no defense, not even mele is kinda lame. Granted It really doesn't take too long to get armed, it's just tedious at times.

PRO:

- Maybe adds some authenticity' date=' who has a handgun at home?

[/quote']

Well following this logic, who DOESN'T have a canned food or soda at home? You can't play 1 side of this argument without doing the other. Spawning without a watch/knife/compass is fine because we can assume that's camping grade stuff, not spawning with stuff you can grab from your kitchen, but with stuff your probably found in your bathroom is stupid.

YES.

When zombie AI is more forgiving/easy it should be fine. Make it an inevitability that you will find a gun shortly after spawning.

NO

I would say YES if we could melee. But spawning completely defenseless is ridiculous. Who tied my hands behind my back, anyway?

All this did was make it harder for new users. No upside.

Upside 1: It's more challenging and fun for people who get the mod.

Upside 2: When people are killed, they can't just rush back and try for instant revenge.

Upside 3: It forces people to get into the feeling of the mod more. When I started a new life with the makarov, I didn't afraid of anything, I'd just run about trying to kill people until I got some gear, because if I died, hey, I'd get my gun back. Now I have to try and survive from the very start.

Pros

-easy beans and water as newly spawned cannot defend themselves. Especially now that food spawns are borked.

Cons

-I have to be real careful after spawning so my friends can get to me and gear me up again

Ok, how is this for an argument, just playing Devils' Advocate a little:

[/quote']

I live in Iraq and we are allowed 1 Kalashnikov per household, most people in rural areas have this. Some people even have more than one.

Therefore is it completely unrealistic that anyone should spawn on the beach in Chernarus without even a pistol.

I want the game to use my country, and my experiences, as a standard.

The fact that the game takes place far from my country is irrelevant to me.

PRO:

[/quote']

Erm.. I live in NH. I got a lot more than "a" handgun at home.

But to the question at hand...

NO

Its simply not FUN having no defense and requiring that much stealth, only to be eaten after making one mistake.

I want the game to use my country' date=' and my experiences, as a standard.

[/quote']

HOLY SHIT ROCKET STOP EVERYTHING

MAX PLANCK NEEDS THE MOD TO BE LIKE WHERE HE LIVES

Ok' date=' how is this for an argument, just playing Devils' Advocate a little:

(06-13-2012 09:36 AM)rocket Wrote: - Maybe adds some authenticity, who has a handgun at home?

I live in Iraq and we are allowed 1 Kalashnikov per household, most people in rural areas have this. Some people even have more than one.

Therefore is it completely unrealistic that anyone should spawn on the beach in Chernarus without even a pistol.

I want the game to use my country, and my experiences, as a standard.

[/quote']

HOLY SHIT ROCKET STOP EVERYTHING

MAX PLANCK NEEDS THE MOD TO BE LIKE WHERE HE LIVES

Did you see where I said I was playing Devils' Advocate?

I wrote basically the same as a lot of other people, but I replaced 'America' with 'Iraq'.

Then you come scooting in throwing a fit, in all caps no less.

I don't even need to argue my point myself when I have you around, do I?

Did you see where I said I was playing Devils' Advocate?

I wrote basically the same as a lot of other people' date=' but I replaced 'America' with 'Iraq'.

Then you come scooting in throwing a fit, in all caps no less.

I don't even need to argue my point myself when I have you around, do I?

[/quote']

I was trying to make a little joke because Max Planck knows his stuff.. obviously it fell flat, I'm tired & sorry.

But Chernarus is based on the Czech Republic I believe and unlike most of Europe their firearm laws are less strict, many people own weapons. However, since we're washing up on a beach I doubt we come from there

I was trying to make a little joke because Max Planck knows his stuff.. obviously it fell flat' date=' I'm tired.

But Chernarus is based on the Czech Republic I believe and unlike most of Europe their firearm laws are less strict, many people own weapons. However, since we're washing up on a beach I doubt we come from there

[/quote']

Ah, I see you are familiar with the great Maximillian Planck whose name I have borrowed.

We do wash up on the beach... I guess we could come from all over the place. In a zompocalypse it would be sensible to find a ship and get the hell out of there, in the end you could end up on the Chernarus island from anywhere.

I wonder if there will be official lore at some point.

Edit: I would also like to take this opportunity to apologize for being a bit of a dick to you.

I'm fine with the current spawning conditions, but the zombie's perception needs to be tuned down to compensate. YES, partially.

No, at this time.

Yes, if

a.) you can run away from zombies (they should give up)

or

b.) better chance to find a weapon

or

c.) you can kill a zombie in a melee

YES

The first life i started on this version, found tons of equipment, just have to crawl arround until u find one.

Edit: I would also like to take this opportunity to apologize for being a bit of a dick to you.

Hah no worries man, I can see why you did

YES

Spawning with weapons is for little children. It also makes the game more authentic if you are aiming for the post-apocalyptic world involving civilians as I wrote in the "nerf-women-threand". ;)