rocket

20 words or less: Spawning without a weapon

YES

But the answer to the guns thing rocket' date=' in the US there are something like 89 guns per 100 person (in 2007 i think).

(Not sure about Russia or wherever Chenarus is located)

Still like it though.

[/quote']

We know how Americans feel about firearms, but how does that relate to this game? It does not take place in America, America is irrelevant in this context. Ok? You belong to a small minority of the global population, but your inflated ego extends across the fucking galaxy.

^ You are a retard. he doesnt even say he lives in the US he just says that in the US this many people have guns and then speculates on the situation in Russia' date=' So that is a great exuse to randomly insult america. good going.

[/quote']

I was not randomly insulting America, I was insulting him and it wasn't random.

The 'ego' I was referring to was his own, not the collective ego of America.

Funny how people throw a fit when they think you badmouth the USA. Imagine if the russians behaved the same way, they get insulted all day long in here.

off topic and by the way...america its a continent' date=' you know...:rolleyes:

[/quote']

Two continents, to be precise.

To the person who said america is a continent: Due to the context of the statements is is obvious that we are refering to the USA, also America is not a continent, South America is and so is North America so if your going to be an ass at-least be correct.

you said this:

You belong to a small minority of the global population, but your inflated ego extends across the fucking galaxy.

This is 1: Randomly insulting someone for speaking about the US.

2: Where do you get any idea about his ego from? he just said in America they have lots of guns and wondered about in russia.

Basically you are a troll.

Oh and i am from the UK and i object to you badmouthing someone for no reason.

This is all irrelevant to the thread if you want to discuss how you are a troll and whatnot futher just send me a message or whatever.

YES

Since I am starting a series, it will feel unrealistic by spawning on a beach with a gun...It will add suspense and fear. I actually want to thank Rocket for the feature, it will make the series even better especially the cliff hanger at the end of Episode 1!

Best,

SteveZ

NO

No no no.

PRO:

- People spawning in can't quickly get into griefing

Wrong. This will have the opposite effect. Making resources more scarce always makes the environment more hostile. And now people can REALLY grief and spawn camp because new people have no way to defend themselves. You just gave griefers a free ride.

- Recovering your old loot becomes difficult and risky

I guess? You've usually been looted anyway.

- Add's a whole new element and gameplay at the start

Makes it impossible for new players. It's hard enough learning Arma 2 controls and the zombie mechanics even with a gun.

- Maybe adds some authenticity, who has a handgun at home?

Most Americans. Even I have a bug-out-bag with food + water + firstaid + ammo for emergencies. I have a handgun, shotgun and a rifle. 80% of the people I know and work with have at least 1 firearm. And to those people saying 'this isn't about america'; we are simply replying to rockets question. Who has a handgun? o/ I do. This pro argument is invalid.

CON:

- It's fucking annoying having to sneak and run around to find a gun (believe me, I just tried it)

Without melee, this is just stupid.

- You can spawn many times before you actually have a life that finds a weapon

Even after finding a weapon, zombie spawns and aggro and attacks through walls are so fucked that you'll soon die anyway.

- Hackers, for the moment, will reveille in this change until their loopholes are closed

I highly doubt Arma 2 will ever be hacker free. And doing this will make more people want to hack just to get started out.

So yeah. This is way more than 20 words. And rocket will probably never read them anyway. I love this mod. I run a DayZ server. I will continue to be active in the community because this is an alpha test. But this change won't last. It will have the exact opposite effect on what you are trying to fix.

Griefers don't care about beans, they do it because they enjoy the tears and frustration of other players. Try looking up the definition of griefing sometime.

NO

There is a fine line between game and simulation that the creator(s) of this mod need to tread upon. They crossed the line with this patch. Too sim, not enough game.

Too sim' date=' not enough game.

[/quote']

That's the point. Stop acting by the way like all weapons are suddenly removed. Spawning without a weapon is absolutely no problem, handguns lay around everywhere.

- Maybe adds some authenticity' date=' who has a handgun at home?

Most Americans. Even I have a bug-out-bag with food + water + firstaid + ammo for emergencies. I have a handgun, shotgun and a rifle. 80% of the people I know and work with have at least 1 firearm. And to those people saying 'this isn't about america'; we are simply replying to rockets question. Who has a handgun? o/ I do. This pro argument is invalid.

[/quote']

Please, PLEASE, explain to me how this is relevant? I want to understand the point of view.

The way I see it, the amount of guns in America do not affect the amount of guns in eastern Europe. Where is the flaw in this argument? Someone please do answer this.

- Maybe adds some authenticity' date=' who has a handgun at home?

[/quote']

Please, PLEASE, explain to me how this is relevant? I want to understand the point of view.

The way I see it, the amount of guns in America do not affect the amount of guns in eastern Europe. Where is the flaw in this argument? Someone please do answer this.

If you seriously think that people don't illegally handguns/shotguns/rifles/etc. in Eastern Europe I don't know what to tell you. The only people who survive far enough in a Zombie/Mass Infection Apocalypse would have either had a gun + survival skills, or would have been smart enough to pick one up at some point.

If it fixes the cherno/elektro makarov deathmatch in the long run then i'm all up for having no gun at the beginning.

NO.

I got ARMA to play DayZ and I remember how frustrating the learning curve was, even with a basic way to defend myself against zombies. I learned shooting guns will attract more zombies and often get you killed. So only shoot if you have to, and only outside of earshot of other infected if possible.

If a bandit was well armed, you're dead. That's griefing and it will continue as long as there is no consequence to people's actions or easy useful ways for people to group up for safety.

Since the global channels have been removed, if you don't have a mentor talking with you in 3rd party voice then your chances of doing anything but dying are stupidly small. Fun is a factor of gaming, as is frustration. Too much of one or the other and the imbalance turns people away.

Any new arma2/dayz players are just going to die repeatedly. Finding and using a firearm is part of the learning curve, that includes a small pistol at spawn.

Since melee weapons aren't a possibility, a firearm is a necessity. Once melee weapons are introduced(if they are), then removing the spawn gun could change. After all, a sharp pointy stick isn't hard to find or make. Neither is a basic blunt object like a piece of pipe.

Reducing the mag count from 6 to 2 or 3 would be more useful than removing the gun. They would still have the ability to learn that shooting around zombies is stupid without the frustration of finding one first. It's hard enough for beginning players to live past day 1 with a small arm.

I also play the game as a survivalist. I don't approach people I don't know and often I'll go out of my way to avoid places commonly visited. I have been alive in game for 12 days and couldn't tell you the last time I went to either cherno or electro.

I'm American and I do own guns, pistols included. Lots of people in the world have hunting/sporting firearms in one way or another. I think finding a deer rifle or a hunting shotgun(double barrel or otherwise) should be relatively easy and I think the game does this right.

NO

Pointless extra gameplay(not fun) which doesn't add much apart from frustration and easily killed for fun by coast griefers.

NO.

This in combination with zombies spawning INDOORS means even if you do find a gun, it's often locked out by the mere presence of a single zombie you cannot deal with.

If you remove weapons at spawn at least make pistols common...

Please' date=' PLEASE, explain to me how this is relevant? I want to understand the point of view.

[/quote']

If you seriously think that people don't illegally handguns/shotguns/rifles/etc. in Eastern Europe I don't know what to tell you. The only people who survive far enough in a Zombie/Mass Infection Apocalypse would have either had a gun + survival skills, or would have been smart enough to pick one up at some point.

Of COURSE the are illegal guns in circulation, I never said there isn't. But you ignored the question:

I smell a lot of cultural imperialism in this thread.

NO

There is a fine line between game and simulation that the creator(s) of this mod need to tread upon. They crossed the line with this patch. Too sim' date=' not enough game.

[/quote']

Too sim just because you don't start with a weapon? That's the tipping point, really?

If you seriously think that people don't illegally handguns/shotguns/rifles/etc. in Eastern Europe I don't know what to tell you.

Nice stereotyping there.

Too sim' date=' not enough game.

[/quote']

That's the point. Stop acting by the way like all weapons are suddenly removed. Spawning without a weapon is absolutely no problem, handguns lay around everywhere.

Which is a problem in itself. You spawn completely defenseless and as soon as you find a weapon suddenly everything's at your feet. 30 min in and I have compass, map, ak, 1911, knife, hatchet, matches, blood, epi, and an alice that spawned on top of a Czech. They didn't make it harder, they just made it frustrating for the first 5 -10 min and then you have no reason to be a bandit.

YES/NO

I kind of agree with this approach in principal but feel it's like using a sledgehammer to crack a nut.

For me it's not players starting with guns that's the real issue but rather a question of the over abundance of ammo.

If ammo were rarer it might help to cut down on the griefing, would bandits really risk wasting precious ammo just to get a tin of beans from some poor newb ? especially now that zeds are so dangerous.

If players spawned with less ammo (2-3 clips) and it was generally less available you'd have to be a lot more careful about picking your targets, it might also have the knock on effect of making the crossbow more useful with it's retrievable bolts.

Maybe it would even open up new possibilities within the game, for instance if ammo were quite rare it could become a commodity of high value almost like a form of currency .

To me this would be a simpler more elegant approach that wouldn't leave new players totally defenceless but would make the overall game far more challenging in terms of long term survival.

....sorry that's way more than 20 words, how rude of me especially for a first post.

NO

It's annoying as hell, forces you into cherno/elektro to be ganked.

As for the whole thing about "you don't have a pistol at home" thing, you're forgetting that not everybody is a master of all types of weapons and vehicles. The 'realism' logic is utterly flawed.

NO

It's annoying as hell' date=' forces you into cherno/elektro to be ganked.

As for the whole thing about "you don't have a pistol at home" thing, you're forgetting that not everybody is a master of all types of weapons and vehicles. The 'realism' logic is utterly flawed.

[/quote']

Seeing as the average lifespan is about thirty minutes, we are not quite masters yet.

Intense. Constant death. Lots of dead survivors everywhere. Maks are gold now. Most areas are impossible to get into without aggro.

Love the no gun thing, makes the game more intense and no more "run straight to balote airport without fear".

NO

Survivors look like they have combat gear so I'm assuming they would most likely have a gun even if it was one of those "stripper pistols".