duggedank

Regular players "lost" to private servers?

The amount of players in the last 24 hours seem to be decreasing every day now. At the same time I'm seeing more an more private servers popping up.

Could it be the rampant scripting and cheating that's driving players towards private servers? Instead of just people quitting completely.

How does this actually affect the development of the mod?

If it is true then the only ones left on the official hive in the end will be hackers...

I get the feeling that the official hive is slowly growing extinct, the mod might still be updated and maintained but the playing will be done on private servers?

When standalone is released I expect that to take over as the "official open" game while the mod will continue as private servers only, maybe...

I haven't even created a character on the official hive yet, I just jumped in on a Lingor server from the start.

the Stand Alone and Mod will not share a Hive, they will be unique from each other so the Stand Alone means a fresh start for all players, and with a bit of luck an escape from the hackers.

That's why my clan went to a private server. We couldn't deal with the scripters, and when they got mad they were banned they sent all their friends in. So, we all donated and have been happy since. The cool thing about our private server is that our clan is divided into squads. All other squads are your enemies. It's been so much fun dying legit and trying to start over to take your territory back.

• Like 8

There may be a day where every server will be riddled with hackers; a day where there is no escape but fleeing to private hives.

That day may come. But on that day, no matter how little legit players are playing on HIVE servers, I will be one of them. I shall be playing, through no matter what ends. I will be there to test things on HIVE servers.

There may be a day where such a thing happens, but it is not this day. I shall stick with it to the end.

EDIT: In all, I play the mod on HIVE servers regardless of anything. I care not if I die from hackers or something else.

Edited by Inception.
  • Like 4

It's simple OP we can run our private server how we like without us having to worry about banning cheaters and jackasses who come running and whining to the devs like the little shits they are.

No duping, no cheating, no asshats, no griefers why would you not want any of that B) and you get to play on Lingor :thumbsup:

• Like 3

I'll admit I've been playing on private hive servers which require some type of white listing to avoid hackers. It seems to be the only thing to deter hackers until the standalone.

The cool thing about our private server is that our clan is divided into squads. All other squads are your enemies.

I like that approach, sounds fun! Like team deathmatch with more than two teams. And in clans you can also expect a better atmosphere and cooperation, people still shoot each other, and likely throw fits once in a while :) But it's much more friendly than on open servers where some people just flip out entirely.

Although I do believe it's somewhat against the original idea of the mod, I believe Rocket wants (wanted?) us to play in a more "open" way (my thoughts below).

There will be a day...

Care to elaborate as to why?

I like the idea of the official hive in that it opens up for interaction with more people, not at the same time but logging in two days in a row can very well mean playing with ~80 different people. This is how I believe Rocket intended it to be, more players interacting, forming temperary bonds, separating and meeting up again later. I really like the idea of this, but it is difficult with the current mod limitations as you simply can't expect people to "play according to the rules" unless there are strict regulations. Standalone should be able to handle this better... who knows...

No duping, no cheating, no asshats, no griefers why would you not want any of that B) and you get to play on Lingor :thumbsup:

True, but you also have a smaller "community" and not as much ineraction with unknown players. As I've said, I like the idea of both open and private servers. And of course, the perfect blend would be my choice if available. So let's hope standalone does that ok? :)

I like that approach, sounds fun! Like team deathmatch with more than two teams. And in clans you can also expect a better atmosphere and cooperation, people still shoot each other, and likely throw fits once in a while :) But it's much more friendly than on open servers where some people just flip out entirely.

Although I do believe it's somewhat against the original idea of the mod, I believe Rocket wants (wanted?) us to play in a more "open" way (my thoughts below).

I completely agree with that. I still play on the main hive as I think a lot of our clan members still do, but of course if I play all day on main hive servers I run into at least one where the whole map is nuked. When the standalone comes out I think it will help players feel more "safe" with the original concepts Rocket had.

It's just pointless to play on hive servers.

Everyone playing this Mod for more than 3 weeks is (or should be) having access to nearly every weapon in this game.

They all hang around in Cherno and Elektro, PKing all day long. When they die they leave the server to get their gear back from their tents, then return to the coast. THIS IS SO BORING.

Then there still are many scripters around.. teleporting and scriptkilling is still going on.. it's ridicolous, I can't count how many scripters appeared (teleported) right next to me in the last week. Didn't even try to shoot em, this mostly made them think I'm (hacker-)friendly. Each time ending up in them spawning medi boxes full of weapons for me. But... Bleh, I wouldn't even take an Enfield Mag out of their boxes.. it ruins the game for me.

Most of my DayZ are currently spent playing on a Private Hive. Not even ONE single hacker in a week, admins clear out tents after 3 days to prevent duping, PvP DCers get permbans.... many good gunfights and banditry, but also loads of people being friendly and randomly grouping up.. on private hives like this, it's just like the old DayZ :)

• Like 1

My gang is the same, we play 30% Hive and 70% private hive now.

A lot of the private hive servers have many more anti hacking/scripting tools enabled and the ability to kick griefers, altF4ers, dupers, hacked weapons, without fear of being black-listed, Plus you can't ghost on a private hive, it takes a lot more skill to launch an attack. Although I am loyal to the game and main hive, I will admit all of this does make for a superior playing experience in my opinion.

I think people have the opinion all Private Hive servers are fluffy and friendly but although there is more chance of having a friendly encounter, there is still a lot of KoS and PvP. The difference is that the PvP is mainly up north with well geared people instead of some noob with an AS50-TWS raping entire groups.

I think everyone would benefit from playing on a private Hive for a few weeks to realise "Don't Get Attached To your Gear" - it might stop them bitching on the forums all day about dying.

• Like 2

No one plays this game anymore :(

Players being lost to other games, not private servers.

It's simple OP we can run our private server how we like without us having to worry about banning cheaters and jackasses who come running and whining to the devs like the little shits they are.

Pvt servers are okish but most can be just as bad as HIVE because of the clans that run them.

They exploit, wipe entire databases if they have camps and vehicles stolen, restart server just to get loot, vehicles and avoid death (Session Lost).

Its just another way of cheating.

For instance, today i logged into RINAUN PVT SERVER only to find out they wiped the entire database, i lost a decent character with ATV and some average gear that took me roughly 2 weeks to build.

I mean, RINAUN is a whitelisted server with passworded lobby, 24/7 admins and close to no hackers at all. Its a really strick sub-community of dedicated mature gamers.

Im not really complaining, im sure they had their reasons to pull the plug and reboot, still i didnt die to the hacker i died to the ADMIN.

There's really no escaping it at this point, hopefully stand-alone will put aside all these negative aspects of DayZ.

• Like 1

I play on public HIVE, while I see some advantages to Private, to me it's reminds me of some kind of weird anally protective ghetto. completely contrary to open spirit of DayZ

Pygmy I would love to join your clan it sounds like tons of fun.

Edited by Hunter23

You have to remember too, that many people that play this game have returned to school in America, so that's a large group of juveniles that can't play all day long anymore.

I think most people do it like me, the game currently is too hacker-ridden to play and there are too much bugs (duping especially) so I rather wait for the standalone to be released.

so to sum up this thread:

THE WORLD IS GONNA EXPLODE ! OMYGOSH PANIC PANIC WOOOO WOOO HYPE HYPE HYPE.

nope. get over it.

1. the player base has shrunk since the peak, but not by that much.

2. there's a ton more hive servers on which these players scatter over, most prefeing the safer less hack worthy less populated servers.

3.AMERICAN servers unlike euro and others are hacked to hell. idk what makes US servers such a big target over the rest of the lot, but that little is obvious, and that leads to

4.Private Hive servers for those that are sick of hackers, etc. I'm guessing most US players went to these.

Pygmy I would love to join your clan it sounds like tons of fun.

The link to our website is in my signature. You can check out all of our stuff there :)

Also check out our thread. Our chief recruiter D2 did an amazing job of compiling all the main things about the clan in it. http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/84566-zh-zombie-hords-is-recruiting-again/#entry796491

For a direct link to our application process: http://www.zombiehords.com/apps/forums/topics/show/8052704-application-guidelines

I like the randomness of the hive servers, even though hackers are a pain in the ass you get the occasional laugh out of trying to kill a sheep for some meat and it turns round and starts shouting at you.

Private servers I feel would go stale for me after a while as I got to know the people who play on them, I would feel to "safe" and predictable.

Chaos is what makes the game interesting, getting frustrated about being killed by a hacker just reminds me of raging at CoD because of campers.

If it wan't the script kiddies it would be something else.

• Like 1

1. the player base has shrunk since the peak, but not by that much.

2. there's a ton more hive servers on which these players scatter over, most prefeing the safer less hack worthy less populated servers.

Are you kidding? I was on last night and the most populated server in the western hemisphere had 9 people in it!! (Private or Public).

It has shrunk CONSIDERABLY, unless there are 40000 servers with 1 person each on it. What kind of game experience is that?!?

For instance, today i logged into RINAUN PVT SERVER only to find out they wiped the entire database, i lost a decent character with ATV and some average gear that took me roughly 2 weeks to build.

I mean, RINAUN is a whitelisted server with passworded lobby, 24/7 admins and close to no hackers at all. Its a really strick sub-community of dedicated mature gamers.

Im not really complaining, im sure they had their reasons to pull the plug and reboot, still i didnt die to the hacker i died to the ADMIN.

There's really no escaping it at this point, hopefully stand-alone will put aside all these negative aspects of DayZ.

Rinaun only cleared the server a few days ago because people couldn't log-in to the server, plus they added in some more buildings with loot spawns into the map in towns where there was no loot before . You can't afford to get attached to your gear in this game, just gear up again and have fun.

You are right, Rinaun's is a community of dedicated mature gamers with 24/7 admin support - I fail to see the problem in that :P

I play on public HIVE, while I see some advantages to Private, to me it's reminds me of some kind of weird anally protective ghetto. completely contrary to open spirit of DayZ

And that's the spirit of using hacked weapons and sitting on a hilltop with an AS50 and snipping noobs is it?

Or throwing everyone in an arena and give them axes to kill each other etc etc

I did about just under 3 months on the hive and we wer lucky to have as few deaths to hackers etc as we did.

But the community is missing as every one shoots whether they have to or not

On private where i have been for the last month we still kill each other but at least people go ey up m8 hows it going as soon as you enter and you can have a chat if you want.

id be quite happy to let people go without them knowing how close to death they were but on the hive i cant i must kill for self preservation

On lingor we just have fun

private hive ftw atm.

Generally higher populated and a more balanced mix of weapons. Some hives have removed AS50 and L85 thermal, geared up now means having an AR. Add in the fact that there's no ghosting or duping and you'll soon realise that (as said above) private hive is how DayZ was meant to be. Also don't think small community, many of the private hives have 2k+ registered players...all for a 50 slot server.

I've invested quite some time in building our private hive. With personal stats, inventory and personal map (on the website) I've seen a great amount of little stories on my server. People like that there is actually someone who listens to them and can help them directly. Currently I'm working on a event and trading system that is connected with the website.

Tents and vehicles throughout the last patches worked for us because we made it work by fixing the problem directly and didn't wait around for another patch. The fix was so easy and it pains me to see how slow dayz devs where with reacting.

So now we are at 89k players in the last 24h. That means a lot of servers are obsolete now and I have a feeling that after the first re-hype of the standalone things will go downhill fast if rocket and his team don't value the time players put into the mod. I personally accept the alpha argument. But that doesn't mean that the hours that people put into the game only to see it being lost after the next server restart or hacker attack can easily be brushed away. I mean u can. But do it a lot and people will stop giving a fuck eventually.

• Like 1

Rinaun only cleared the server a few days ago because people couldn't log-in to the server, plus they added in some more buildings with loot spawns into the map in towns where there was no loot before . You can't afford to get attached to your gear in this game, just gear up again and have fun.

You are right, Rinaun's is a community of dedicated mature gamers with 24/7 admin support - I fail to see the problem in that :P

Its not about the gear at all, i died in some occasions and i always re-geared and had fun doing so.

What i mean is that from all the pvt HIVES out there, i didnt expect this to happen at RINAUN'S.

The TIME that i invested playing in the server was simply wiped.

Also, a week or so ago, RINAUN'S just stopped the use of WAYPOINTS, and alot of people lost their tents and vehicles because of that, as it would be almost impossible to return to them even if you had a general sense as to where they were. Then nightime was removed and now its back again, like -"i had a g17, but i threw it away because they removed nightime, but now its back again, grrr "- see what i mean?

Im not complaining, just making a point as to PVT HIVE can be as unstable as official HIVE, even more so because is subject to so many tests and tweaks from ADMINS.

Edited by 4Lex