rocket

IF this was an actual game...

- Game purchase only (Guild Wars stylez)

- Studio developed

- Studio hosted Servers

one time payment

wont mind buying gear eg starting with a can of beans?

dont mind about development

kickstarter, not bad to have little extra money and a goal :)

Game purchase only. (I'd never pay for a subscription service' date=' and F2P with purchased items is purely imbal.)

Studio developed. (Professional. There's no need to involve a community in the development process.)

Kickstarter. (Extra cash on the side never hurt.)

(Super excited to hear that it's gettin' serious, you deserve it entirely. :D)

[/quote']

THIS, rocket you're doing a hell of a job, no F2P or monthly fee plox :D

Make the map HUGE, when I say huge, I MEAN FUCKING HUGE!!!! 1 server :D

Game purchase only = wouldn't pay subscription

Studio Developed = with community support.

Kickstarter = cash is always handy

Studio and community servers = strictly managed tho.

Is the Arma series the only option as a game to mod? As it has issues before you even start modding it.....

I've just skimmed through this entire 53-page thread and have read all of your posts, rocket. My respect for you as a creative and rational, realistic person only keeps increasing.

You've created something amazing here. I too only bought Arma2CO because of DayZ and will be building my own gaming PC next month so that I can play it properly. (I had been planning to do that for a year now, PC+ netbook instead of just a laptop, but your game pushed me over the edge.)

First off, a one-time purchase with further DLC down the line (New gigantic map, for instance. New features.) I would pay the shit out of that kind of DLC. ;)

I think we need to be more aware of what your limitations are if we are to give you constructive suggestions. I am assuming that going completely freelance and creating a new engine just for DayZ is impossible. Where is the funding? The know-how? Kickstarter wouldn't be sufficient IMO for funding a project of that size, if such a project is even feasible for you and your hypothetical team. That scenario is unlikely to match the user experience provided by the Arma engine.

Perhaps some third engine? What are the options? Unreal? Can it support such gigantic maps? Epic Games would charge you a lot for the use of their engine too.

But I sense that your preference would be to stick to BIS' Arma engine - the smartest choice, too - sticking to what enabled a quarter million of us fall in love with your mod.

In that case, what kind of contract would you have to sign with BIS, and what are your personal ambitions? Personally, I would prefer the new DayZ to be a stand-alone title and not an addon accompanying Arma3 (developed by you, with BIS resources). This is surely possible, BIS would make a lot of money and the experience of a realistic sandbox shooter on that engine would entice new players to Arma3 as well, most likely.

If that were possible, if you could develop it as a standalone game with BIS using the Arma3 engine which you would be free to optimize - what kind of obligations would you have? Would you be free to subsequently break off and start your own studio? Would that be something that you want to do?

I'd love it if you could respond, I feel this thread hasn't yet reached a satisfactory resolution.

Basically, I believe that the new DayZ would be a standalone game built off the Arma engine with the resources of an established development studio that enabled you full creative control. Sounds utopian, doesn't it? As for revenue structure, the best possible option seems to me to be a one-time payment + DLC. Why are people opposed to that? DLC is great! I trust rocket enough to know it wouldn't be as overpriced as in the CoD games for instance. Furthermore it grants the developer more time to create great new content - like a new map as big as Chernarus! How great would that be? :D

I would prefer a Stand Alone Game, I'd pay about $20 for it, as ARMA III is due to release, and DayZ would be ported over.

Studio would work better, as the current infastructure is set up as a unversal system.

I would like the choice for server-side databases however.

If you're going with the monthly fee thing, regardless of how awesome DayZ may be(come), I would drop it. You can get new games on Steam for as much as 5$. Unless your monthly fee is about 1/12th of that price, DayZ couldn't compete in any way.

I would NOT mind spending 10-20 bucks on BUYING DayZ as a sole-standing game, though, if the changes to an "own" engine are worth the transfer.

Permitting everyone to host servers is standard for most games, but given your character is stored GLOBALLY this would make exploiting too easy. Either stick with the current server policy OR (and I wouldn't mind this) make characters server-side only (as well resolves all server-hopping issues) whilst permitting everyone to create his own dedicated servers.

- One off game purchase

- NO DLC! Old school expansion packs are ok.

Also:

- Studio developed?

- Studio run servers are a must but community based servers also.

- Kickstarter if required.

Game purchase only, if your gonna charge a subscription it better be really cheap, but as I rule I avoid those games like the plague.

Free-to-play with buying advantages will kill this game in a heartbeat. Deffo would not buy.

Standalone game purchase (20€)

Studio developement based on Studio servers data plus community servers with the latest stable version.

Kickstarter!

Good question.

I'd pay full price (£30-40) for Arma3 if I knew there was a Dayz mod for it (that's what I did with Arma II).

I'd pay full price for a standalone DayZ game.

I'd pay a reduced fee (£10-£20) for a basic game and login to servers, with the option of cash shop for skins - but NOT weapons. Please God never make this game pay to win!

I wouldn't pay a monthly sub MMO style (usually about £10-12) - I think that only works when you can invest in your char, meaning permadeath isn't an option.

I'd probably pay a small monthly sub (£5), on top of £10-20 for the game.

Ach just take my money.

Game purchase only, Not enough content to justify paying more than £5 a month.

Studio Developed

Only Community servers.

A Kickstarter would get you lots of money fast.

game purchase only

studio developed

studio servers (preferably, but with game purchase only community servers would be better for the studio money wise)

Stand alone but I'd gladly pay the same amount of more than shitty AAA titles because the experience from this game is just amazing!

Game purchase.

But I'd also be okay with micro-purchases for purely cosmetic skins if it'll help support the devs.

Game purchase with a micro-transaction based store for extra goodies. Think of it as a military surplus micro transaction store that will add some interesting customization and survival gear. Would love to see weapon accessories. DON'T SELL GUNS BUT SELL AMMO.

• rail systems
  • scopes
  • bandoleers
  • deer stands
  • optics
  • communications equipment
  • unique skins
  • unique tents
  • weapon skins
  • backpacks
  • survival and camping equipment
  • tools and mechanical implements
  • vehicle skins

Studio development with community developed customization items as a possibility.

Community servers.

Game purchase with micro-transactions. These would include

- Buying clothing to make your guy your own (instead of finding clothes)

- Buy a spray paint can to give weapons a certain camo.

- Survival crate? Each time you make a new character you spawn beside a crate/briefcase with some food/flares. NO WEAPON as this would be a too large and unfair advantage.

Don't have anything "premium" because people without it hate it. This would be things like priority in queues (trying to get into a server).

Game purchase only, but cosmetic micro transactions are fine (please no pay2win model)

Studio developed

Both Servers

Kickstarter

The armas engine is holding the game back.

Starting from scrath allows you to make the game more DayZ focused, if that makes sense.

If you choose kickstarter, please contact some of the more popular streamers, they'll get the word about about it to thousands and thousands of people.

Game purchase only if server is run by community.

Alternatively, I would consider a monthly fee IF there were continuing, meaningful updates and servers were hosted by the studio (for QA).

I can't see a F2P model working for such a hardcore-focused game like Day Z. The point is to prove your virtual survival abilities, not buy said abilities or equipment.

i think the best model is just purchase the game.

f2p won't work well with this type of game as it will encourage hackers/griefers

If you do it with monthly fee's, the game has to have cross server, grouping, guilds, crafting system and a more intensive map that allows you to physically build full blown bases on minimum of 500+ man servers.

If you do free 2 play model, it would have to be something similar to above, but you have to justify why they need to pay besides just for your server rental fee's that I know are costly.

It all depends on how you decide to build your game and where you want to go with it. If you do the whole WoW gear grind concept and make it go mainstream and sell out to the care bear crowd, then you will need to back it with an entire system of pve, crafting, sandbox pvp. If you keep to the game roots as it stands now, there isn't any way you can justify that money, since were all clearly playing it for free now and do not need to do anything but buy boxes in order to play the game.

I personally think you need to aim the game in an open sand box pvp that helps guilds / players build entire bases like you see happening in the tv show "The Walking Dead". People have to learn to trust each other to build mini empires on large scaled maps, but your always looking over your shoulder. Add in new items that make it so when you die, with a group of buddies you still have a chance of surviving with professions that work in game.

For example : Some survivors pick the professions of a medic - they can use defibrillators to revive players once they're down with a limited time. They can craft medicines with herbs they find, etc.

Nobody to date has mixed hardcore crafting with hardcore pvp and pve in the middle - I think your game is the perfect blend of all 3 and if done right, would be one of the most popular sandbox mmo's to date.

Nobody to date has mixed hardcore crafting with hardcore pvp and pve in the middle

Except that that perfectly describes EVE. But, yeah, mostly true.