rocket

Pending Update 1.7.1 Details

I think the solution to the DC issue may be found if the devs can think of a way to recognise if the player is either a) under attack from a survivor and/or b) the target of a zombie (easier to detect). Under those circumstances if the player disconnects then and only then should a disconnect timer be used.

Maybe on disconnect, do a quick scan of the area and if there are any nearby survivors or raging zombies then impose the timer. Maybe check if any bullets have landed nearby in the last few seconds?

It's not perfect, but it may solve some of the issues.

The other issue, of disconnecting and jumping to another server and changing position and then changing back to the original server, thus "teleporting" across the map to gain a tactical advantage could be solved by adding the last few server addresses and timestamp to the player's DB record. On reconnect, if it's within say 5 minutes and the player returns to any of the same servers you give the player a choice: Continue playing and get spawned back at the coast (new life?), or make them wait for the remainder of the timer before being spawned back in the game at their saved position: a reconnect timer, not a disconnect timer.

Fuzzy solution to a fuzzy problem...only the player knows their own intentions when playing and if they are legitimately disconnecting then no problem, the timer will expire and they will be safe to rejoin later. If they are trying to teleport then they will be hindered by the reconnect timer thus negating the advantage (a bit).

Just keep it simple, I posted in the DC thread but TL;DR is: Always, keep disconnected player avatars spawned on the server for 30 seconds (yes 30 seconds, maybe even more). Prevent the doppleganger issue by preventing players from re-connecting for twice as long as the DC timer, e.g. if the DC timer is 30 seconds, then the re-connect timer should be 1 minute.

Also, if a player has been spawned on a server for more than 3 minutes, then prevent them from re-connecting to any other server for 30 minutes.

Impliment those, and it will prevent a LOT of server-hopping and DC exploits, I know it will cause grief for some, but tough, this is a tough game, so tough.

Anyone have a clue how u speak in Group channel with the Beta patch??

Also' date=' if a player has been spawned on a server for more than 3 minutes, then prevent them from re-connecting to any other server for 30 minutes.

[/quote']

Yeah! And then i must play for 30 minutes on a laggy server! facepalm.gif

Also' date=' if a player has been spawned on a server for more than 3 minutes, then prevent them from re-connecting to any other server for 30 minutes.

[/quote']

Yeah! And then i must play for 30 minutes on a laggy server! facepalm.gif

No, that's not what I said at all.

oh i just realized...LOS is great and the ability to hide to escape is also awesome now but is sound still going to be a factor in being detected by zombies?

oh i just realized...LOS is great and the ability to hide to escape is also awesome now but is sound still going to be a factor in being detected by zombies?

Of course...

Anyone have a clue how u speak in Group channel with the Beta patch??

Global chat channels became a server controlled flag with Arma beta. Many feel that having only Direct Communication, which only works within a certain radius of each player, is more in the spirit of the mod.

Im having problems... i cant write in the Side channel "Blue channel"... so i cant tell if im friendly or not..

Im having problems... i cant write in the Side channel "Blue channel"... so i cant tell if im friendly or not..

I will try again.

Blue channel removed in beta.

I want to see dogs in that update :)

Rough outline of what to expect in the pending upDOGSdate.

Wow! Looks amazing, every time I think youve been a bit quiet rocket, you turn around with a SERIOUS update! So many things getting fixed here, and if it cleans up server fps lag as well, this games just going to have taken a huge step forward.

Just constantly impressed by the man!

Can we hope to see the update later today? :)

How do you figure? (I hope your right!)

Can we hope to see the update later today? :)

I hope it's soonish. It would certainly make it more enjoyable to play with this update.

How do you figure? (I hope your right!)

Rocket said earlier we would see the update near the the end of the week and as such it will most likely be released today or tomorrow.

I hope it's soonish. It would certainly make it more enjoyable to play with this update.

Exactly, so that we can keep entertained for a long time since major bugs seem to be fixed.

Please rocket release it for us today for play and test this weekend if we found any bug we're gonna informe you :D

Please rocket release it for us today for play and test this weekend if we found any bug we're gonna informe you :D

Puh-leeez! Today is my last day before my GF comes for the weekend. I want to do manly zombie apocalypse survival stuff. ;-)