maleitch

15 min of playing...over 2 hours of black misery

Wow...I owe some buddies 40 bucks.

So we have a decent time trying to accommodate this abortion of a user interface when suddenly there are no daytime servers.

Spend the next 2 and a half hours in total darkness asking if we see each others flares and attempting to respawn closer to each other.

Good times...hopefully they can forgive me since they promptly gave me shit for wasting their time with this.

I have camped many nights out in the wood in real life and it was never as pitch black as this game. I could have played with my monitor off and seen better. At least have some areas with modest lighting for christ's sake.

And you server guys...do any of you have jobs. Do you only run the servers during the day so the unemployed college kids get to enjoy the daylight? At least specify if you have a time offset in your server's name.

Pretty frustrated because the premise is fantastic...but the reality is nothing like the cherry-picked YouTube videos show you.

Pick a server where its daytime, lol...

You poor, poor baby. You tried to play a hardcore game with a bit of a learning curve and weren't spoon-fed enjoyment on a platter in the first 10 minutes.

Try another 30 minutes and you will be dialed into the UI. It's just like if you changed the controller layout in any game. Weird at first.

there are plenty of servers what are time inverted, there is even a thread that is working on listing them.

Granted it's always REALLY dark when dark most of the time, but I have seen it be just as dark when camping myself.

DayZ is, has, and hopefully will never stop being an extremely unforgiving game. Lastly, get used to playing at night, it's a big fat pain, but exponentially safer.

You poor' date=' poor baby. You tried to play a hardcore game with a bit of a learning curve and weren't spoon-fed enjoyment on a platter in the first 10 minutes.

[/quote']

Really poindexter? Where is the part where I learn to see in total pitch fucking blackness? Did you read the part where we tried for over 2 fucking hours so fuck off with your ten minutes arrogant comic-guy bullshit. That is not a learning curve, but a cheap fucking gimmick.

Playing football with no pads is hardcore...playing a mod that claims to be hardcore because the inventory UI is such a piece of shit that it gets you killed is nothing but cheese.

Doubt your pasty ass ever goes outside, but night does not equal total blackout.

Try another 30 minutes and you will be dialed into the UI. It's just like if you changed the controller layout in any game. Weird at first.

there are plenty of servers what are time inverted' date=' there is even a thread that is working on listing them.

Granted it's always REALLY dark when dark most of the time, but I have seen it be just as dark when camping myself.

DayZ is, has, and hopefully will never stop being an extremely unforgiving game. Lastly, get used to playing at night, it's a big fat pain, but exponentially safer.

[/quote']

I did not find plenty of servers with time inverted...the few that actually listed the time shift (GMT+/-) were to high ping to even play.

I have no problem with night as another challenge to the game, but in its current state there are some spawns location where a new survivor simply will never survive simply because he cannot find any loot locations before running out of flares. Not going to stand in one place for 2 hours of game time waiting for the sun to rise...again...that is not hardcore...that is cheap.

That has to be addressed.

I could have played with my monitor off and seen better.

I want you to upload a video of this please !

should be entertaining

I did not find plenty of servers with time inverted...the few that actually listed the time shift (GMT+/-) were to high ping to even play.

I have no problem with night as another challenge to the game' date=' but in its current state there are some spawns location where a new survivor simply will never survive simply because he cannot find any loot locations before running out of flares. Not going to stand in one place for 2 hours of game time waiting for the sun to rise...again...that is not hardcore...that is cheap.

That has to be addressed.

[/quote']

True point, I forgot about your location being an issue with servers. Just because I have access to a few inverted ones doesn't mean everyone does.

I see we have different play styles in regards to the night. I never ever want to be near the shore, so I put the sea to my back and head inland until I get a decent view of things, or a slightly less dark view. Rarely do I use flares since I find they invite a bullet to the head.

Never said it was hardcore, just unforgiving. Took me a while to get into it, and thought it was kind of cheap at times, but now I can't get enough. To each their own, I say give it another go, but if you are certain it's not your cup of tea, that's the way things go.

So we have a decent time trying to accommodate this abortion of a user interface when suddenly there are no daytime servers.

I feel for you' date=' imo the ARMA II user interface is horribly clunky and has a low usability.
Spend the next 2 and a half hours in total darkness asking if we see each others flares and attempting to respawn closer to each other.
Like in any game crank up gamma values at night, you'll see as good as in the "cherry picked" Youtube videos. Some nights are moonlit others have a heavy cloud cover, your mileage may vary.

On top of that there are many servers that have adapted their time to accommodate for people wanting to play after work in the evening, no need to be rude or snotty towards the server admins.

Never said it was hardcore' date=' just unforgiving. Took me a while to get into it, and thought it was kind of cheap at times, but now I can't get enough. To each their own, I say give it another go, but if you are certain it's not your cup of tea, that's the way things go.

[/quote']

Fair enough...was referring to a previous poster. Appreciate your reasoned response. I will try the game again, but I think the part that ticks me off the most is that my core group of gamers have written it off because of this experience.

Ye you should never try to introduce new players to the game when it's night ingame. I did the same and spent couple hours trying to meet up with buddy and throwing flares around. That was before I realized ping doesn't really matter in dayz and started playing on servers in the US (I'm european and some US servers work better for me than most EU ones).

Also it's almost hard to find server with night anymore, no matter what time I try to play. You just had seriously bad luck with servers it seems.

about nights - there is solution no one wants to use :)

- flares

- chemlights

- 2 or 3 kinds of flashlights

- flashlights on some wepons

and rare one - NVG

and night makes one place look and play totaly different

and yes I sometimes cheat too with brightnes and gamma settings + HDR very high

Really poindexter? Where is the part where I learn to see in total pitch fucking blackness? Did you read the part where we tried for over 2 fucking hours so fuck off with your ten minutes arrogant comic-guy bullshit. That is not a learning curve' date=' but a cheap fucking gimmick.

Playing football with no pads is hardcore...playing a mod that claims to be hardcore because the inventory UI is such a piece of shit that it gets you killed is nothing but cheese.

Doubt your pasty ass ever goes outside, but night does not equal total blackout.

[/quote']

Wow, you are quite aggressive. I suggest you cut back on your steroids and get back to playing "hardcore" football without pads in the sun, so you guys can high-five and tap eachothers butts after each goal you make, and get the hell back home as soon as it gets dark.

Seriously, there are >10.000 people who really love this game, even in the dark. It is just not your thing, you shouldn't insult people just because they like something you don't. The reason I'M insulting you is because you deserve it with your terrible posts.

So a TL;DR of your ranting would be:

'We don't want to put effort into this mod'

'Real time night time is too hard, you can't see - but I haven't gone and looked at the one-click solutions telling me how to overcome it'

'Server host are no-job nerds because they comply with rules set out by the mod'

'Videos and reviews are misleading, but I didn't read the multitude of actual gameplay experiences available on the forums which detail how difficult life in this mod can be'.

'Ping is too high, but I didn't try and find out if the mod had client-side hit detection making it irrelevant'

'My friends wasted $40 on this game, when in reality we are only playing a MOD for this game - you could always play the real game itself, thus not wasting'.

and the best one

'I can't do this deductive reasoning thing correctly so I attack people who point out the obvious flaws in my complaining'.

Was a good laugh.

Don't like it - don't play it. Sick and tired of people complaining about this awesome -free- mod which is still in alpha.

I have camped many nights out in the wood in real life and it was never as pitch black as this game. I could have played with my monitor off and seen better. At least have some areas with modest lighting for christ's sake.

I see this comment a lot. I can tell you from personal experience I've been in a bivouac pulling security in a forest where it was black and a slightly darker shade of black. After an hour of staring at nearly nothing, I could finally separate the edges of trees in the distance.

I don't think the level of darkness presented in the game during overcast night is very "fun"... but I've been in that real life situation.

I see this comment a lot. I can tell you from personal experience I've been in a bivouac pulling security in a forest where it was black and a slightly darker shade of black. After an hour of staring at nearly nothing' date=' I could finally separate the edges of trees in the distance.

I don't think the level of darkness presented in the game during overcast night is very "fun"... but I've been in that real life situation.

[/quote']

I think alot of people live in the cities and forget what real night looks like.

Regarding the UI, yes it's clunky. It's a result of the variety of functions and types of interactions that need to be dealt with in Arma 2. Rocket has made some tweaks for the better (no more accidentally wasting supplies with a single click), and perhaps that means there are more to come for this mod.

I see this comment a lot. I can tell you from personal experience I've been in a bivouac pulling security in a forest where it was black and a slightly darker shade of black. After an hour of staring at nearly nothing' date=' I could finally separate the edges of trees in the distance.

[/quote']

I think alot of people live in the cities and forget what real night looks like.

I grew up in the country, but I've lived in NYC for about 15 years. True darkness was was experienced by all here during the blackout of 2003. Walking across the Queensborough bridge at 10pm was interesting.

I guess you never been in the woods with no moon and cloud cover. You cant see anything in front of you. I had to feel the road and listen to my footsteps to find my way home one night.

Fiddle with your brightness/gamma settings (put them to max) at night and you can see. Isn't that common sense? Or are you just bone idle.

The night does have to be fixed.

You may think so, and there are many others who think so as well. And there are others who think it is just great as it is.

I personally don't care. Yes, I dislike the night, so I play mostly day servers. I really don't see why people, if they hate the night, just don't go to day servers, what's the difference then? Why should the night-lovers miss the night as it is, while people disliking the night can just go to a day server.

Also, a few days ago I had a very bright moon and no clouds. Man I just was waiting for the game to become darker, but it stayed quite bright and playability was great!

So a TL;DR of your ranting would be:

'We don't want to put effort into this mod'

'Real time night time is too hard' date=' you can't see - but I haven't gone and looked at the one-click solutions telling me how to overcome it'

'Server host are no-job nerds because they comply with rules set out by the mod'

'Videos and reviews are misleading, but I didn't read the multitude of actual gameplay experiences available on the forums which detail how difficult life in this mod can be'.

'Ping is too high, but I didn't try and find out if the mod had client-side hit detection making it irrelevant'

'My friends wasted $40 on this game, when in reality we are only playing a MOD for this game - you could always play the real game itself, thus not wasting'.

and the best one

'I can't do this deductive reasoning thing correctly so I attack people who point out the obvious flaws in my complaining'.

Was a good laugh.

[/quote']

Yeah I was thinking the same thing after reading the rediculously rude response.

I had a few friends leave because they didnt like night play either. They wont accept that ping isnt an issue considering how the system works but thats ok, more beans for me.