maleitch

15 min of playing...over 2 hours of black misery

The "pitch blackness" issue is your graphics settings being set wrong.

Turn your HDR Lighting up.

I laugh at all the people I play this game at. They log in at night, and are like "ERMAHGERD, I CAN'T SEE A THING!" and I'm like "Well, I can tell you're lying there, and you're prone there, and over that way is a field, and that's trees, and there's a town over there..."

You poor' date=' poor baby. You tried to play a hardcore game with a bit of a learning curve and weren't spoon-fed enjoyment on a platter in the first 10 minutes.

[/quote']

Lol you are dumb.

You see americans don't usually waste their time so frivolously. We have jobs and educations to attend to. Have fun with your mil sim with a super duper hard learning curve. Infantry positions in military are for the lowest of the low in society... typically.

Infantry positions in military are for the lowest of the low in society... typically.

What a shitty thing to say.

You poor' date=' poor baby. You tried to play a hardcore game with a bit of a learning curve and weren't spoon-fed enjoyment on a platter in the first 10 minutes.

[/quote']

Lol you are dumb.

You see americans don't usually waste their time so frivolously. We have jobs and educations to attend to. Have fun with your mil sim with a super duper hard learning curve. Infantry positions in military are for the lowest of the low in society... typically.

Obviously this guy does not speak for all Americans (although if he is educated it certainly speaks to the degradation of our education system that a college graduate starts a post with "Lol you are dumb").

If you are using beta patch 93666 or onwards, they have tweaked the lighting so you can't do the HDR trick any more. So its either a light source, NVGs or blackness.

Too dark for you? Try the latest Beta patch for Arma. I hear its been improved tenfold.

When i first started playing, i spawned in a server. it was dark. I ran for 20 minutes, not bothering to even look for my friends, just get my bearings, and learn to crawl before attempting the 100m sprint.

Chill out, play the game for what it is. An extremely good backpack simulator. Because the thing you want is *NEVER* at the top of the backpack when you need it.

you need to set HDR to very high.

If that gives me shades of grey i owe you my fraking beans.

Shall it be know for all humankind: My beans are cultiv8ed's beans.

With high hdr i see shades of black and the day is more colorful. It's still fu^Wraking dark at night but it is manageable. It's still easy to get shred by a zombie but i can tell if i am banging my head against a trash can or a supermarket, when given those two options.

Ok...let me try to engage in this slapfest and potentially gain some knowledge of little value.

I love for things to scare the shit out of me, so I appreciate the pussy comments but here is the problem. There is nothing scary about staring at a black screen for 30 minutes with nothing but the sound of your own footsteps.

Here is what I think I am discovering.

There are varying degrees of darkness per server based on ingame settings.

There are varying degrees of darkness based on patch version.

There are varying degrees of darkness based on local computer settings.

Let me try to describe to what the last server was like that broke the camels back. I spawn to total pitch blackness. There may have been a slight outline to certain shapes but nothing that you could use to even tell if you were standing on your head. There were no stars...there was not a moon. Was out of flares and the only way I could get a bearing for anything was to shoot my gun and look at the ground to get a small glimpse at the type of terrain I was in.

I spent 30 minutes simply just walking...PRAYING that I would run into a zombie just so I could start over with a new player and I ran into nothing. Fuck as far as I know I was walking into the side of a tree the whole time? Yeah I know this somehow makes me a pussy, but do you guys seriously consider that hardcore?

Ok...all arguing aside. Lets take this example:

You spawn. Can literally not see anything. Have zero flares. No map. No flashlight. No light source. No stars. No moon. You walk in one direction and encounter nothing. No buildings. No zombies. No other players.

As a hardcore badass computer gamer how would you survive this situation? Or even make it interesting enough to where you would even attempt to continue playing? I am seriously looking for honest answers.

I think the nights are very realistic, I played last night on a night server at midnight and was able to see due to the fact it was almost a full moon on the server, normally it would be pitch black but being able to see due to the moonlight and other light sources is very realistic, you have to battle the elements in this game, from rain, to temperatures and the dark. I hope they don't change the darkness or tone it down to cater to people It is really amazing to survive at night and battle the simple dark. I have died in the dark and not even known how so you might be best off on daytime servers.

Ok...let me try to engage in this slapfest and potentially gain some knowledge of little value.

I love for things to scare the shit out of me' date=' so I appreciate the pussy comments but here is the problem. There is nothing scary about staring at a black screen for 30 minutes with nothing but the sound of your own footsteps.

Here is what I think I am discovering.

There are varying degrees of darkness per server based on ingame settings.

There are varying degrees of darkness based on patch version.

There are varying degrees of darkness based on local computer settings.

Let me try to describe to what the last server was like that broke the camels back. I spawn to total pitch blackness. There may have been a slight outline to certain shapes but nothing that you could use to even tell if you were standing on your head. There were no stars...there was not a moon. Was out of flares and the only way I could get a bearing for anything was to shoot my gun and look at the ground to get a small glimpse at the type of terrain I was in.

I spent 30 minutes simply just walking...PRAYING that I would run into a zombie just so I could start over with a new player and I ran into nothing. Fuck as far as I know I was walking into the side of a tree the whole time? Yeah I know this somehow makes me a pussy, but do you guys seriously consider that hardcore?

You spawn. Can literally not see anything. Have zero flares. No map. No flashlight. No light source. No stars. No moon. You walk in one direction and encounter nothing. No buildings. No zombies. No other players.

As a hardcore badass computer gamer how would you survive this situation? Or even make it interesting enough to where you would even attempt to continue playing? I am seriously looking for honest answers.

[/quote']

I was experiencing this problem on most night servers when I started playing. The last week or so, for unknown reasons, I have not had this issue. I can tell you what I am doing--some of which might help.

I am running the 93666 arma 2 beta patch available at www.arma2.com/beta-patch.php

My HDR setting is set to Normal. Post-processing is off. Like you say, my recent lack of problems may be a server-side setting. As soon as the moon is visible, there is plenty of light being reflected. If you are still having this problem, try a different server. Try US 4 or UK 7 depending on your localization. I rarely have problem seeing at night on these two.

Another tip is to walk up to your flare or chemlight and use the scroll-wheel action menu to pick it up. This makes you a target, but it'll have you seeing--hopefully for long enough to find a flashlight. (Some weapons have attached flashlights. Glock 17, Remington and one of the M4s. L is default to turn it on.)

Can you actually spawn without flares?

I've never spawned without road flares...

However' date=' hypothetically, spawning in that kind of crippling darkness with no source of light... again, I'll reiterate that I do not find this to be "fun"... but all you can do is creep and scan, creep and scan. Put on those headphones and orient sound effects. I did this for a long time the first time I encountered the new black in DayZ, and it wasn't until I was killed by that flare-happy gunman that I learned to stop worrying and love the flare.

It has been par for the course, that I would make due with gamma adjustment, and not really worry too much about flares and chemlights. Now, they become a priority at night and part of the challenge.... part of the [i']game.

I think the nights are very realistic' date=' I played last night on a night server at midnight and was able to see due to the fact it was almost a full moon on the server, normally it would be pitch black but being able to see due to the moonlight and other light sources is very realistic, you have to battle the elements in this game, from rain, to temperatures and the dark. I hope they don't change the darkness or tone it down to cater to people It is really amazing to survive at night and battle the simple dark. I have died in the dark and not even known how so you might be best off on daytime servers.

[/quote']

So you played at night with a nice full moon which is 100% not what I encountered. How is your input relevant again? Did you not read that part where I was PRAYING for something to kill me? And everyone please suggesting that I play daytime servers. In my time zone at that point in the evening there was ONE server that was listed as an offset server and it had issues. So I guess another aspect that makes this HARDCORE is wasting an hour logging in and out of servers to find which one is running in the daytime? So extreme...

I have a feeling that all the "hardcore" dayz players on here giving me shit would have lasted half the time I did in the scenario that I presented.

Let me say that I am enjoying this arguing more than the game so far but going to give it another shot soon. Oh and I am playing the game with a fractured right heel so that should give me some cred right?

I think the nights are very realistic' date=' I played last night on a night server at midnight and was able to see due to the fact it was almost a full moon on the server, normally it would be pitch black but being able to see due to the moonlight and other light sources is very realistic, you have to battle the elements in this game, from rain, to temperatures and the dark. I hope they don't change the darkness or tone it down to cater to people It is really amazing to survive at night and battle the simple dark. I have died in the dark and not even known how so you might be best off on daytime servers.

[/quote']

So you played at night with a nice full moon which is 100% not what I encountered. How is your input relevant again? Did you not read that part where I was PRAYING for something to kill me? And everyone please suggesting that I play daytime servers. In my time zone at that point in the evening there was ONE server that was listed as an offset server and it had issues. So I guess another aspect that makes this HARDCORE is wasting an hour logging in and out of servers to find which one is running in the daytime? So extreme...

I have a feeling that all the "hardcore" dayz players on here giving me shit would have lasted half the time I did in the scenario that I presented.

Let me say that I am enjoying this arguing more than the game so far but going to give it another shot soon. Oh and I am playing the game with a fractured right heel so that should give me some cred right?

Although this guy wasn't having your problem, he wasn't trying to give you a hard time in the way some others here have. Don't reply to the dicks, and please take it down a notch. Some of us are trying to help you.

[/quote']

Although this guy wasn't having your problem, he wasn't trying to give you a hard time in the way some others here have. Don't reply to the dicks, and please take it down a notch. Some of us are trying to help you.

I apologize...can't keep my dicks straight.

Seriously...not trying to be an asshole to everyone...just the hardcore crowd.

My bad luciddose...my venom should not have been directed at you. Please accept my apologies and I do appreciate those of you that are responding with more reasoned responses than mine.

its all good man, the game can be hell of frustrating i was just trying to relay each play experience is different and its not always as dark as a steers tucas on a moonless prairie scenario. Its hit or miss on dark servers and extremely hard if your solo. Keep trying different servers with different times I am sure something will click. I personally avoided night servers like the plague until i felt i was ready for something more challenging. When I opted for night servers it was def that another level of difficulty. I'm not always up for night gameplay but sometimes its just what i need for a change in pace.

http://dayzmod.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=5674

Turn up HDR/Gamma (If before the latest beta patch.)

...and' date=' if [i']after latest beta patch...?

Yeah...unfortunately I am patched with the latest.

Concerning the comment about starting with zero flares. In that perfect combination of ass pain, I was playing with a survivor that just got finished attempting to find something on another pitch black server where I had burned through all the flares in inventory. In disgust we had all decided to try one more server which is why I started with no flares.

Yeah...unfortunately I am patched with the latest.

Concerning the comment about starting with zero flares. In that perfect combination of ass pain' date=' I was playing with a survivor that just got finished attempting to find something on another pitch black server where I had burned through all the flares in inventory. In disgust we had all decided to try one more server which is why I started with no flares.

[/quote']

That sounds like a bit of mis-prioritization... if you weren't thinking flares at the time, then you squandered resources and screwed yourself over. It happens... and especially if you weren't expecting to deal with this kind of darkness.

As you play, even without an online map as reference, you get a feel for where to find lights... and you go to those locations... at least, that has to be your mindset now, you know?

I did not find plenty of servers with time inverted...the few that actually listed the time shift (GMT+/-) were to high ping to even play.

Define too high to even play?

I did not find plenty of servers with time inverted...the few that actually listed the time shift (GMT+/-) were to high ping to even play.

Define too high to even play?

The ones that are too high for me are like 300+ MS

I spent 30 minutes simply just walking...PRAYING that I would run into a zombie just so I could start over with a new player and I ran into nothing.

Doesn't help with the lighting problem, but you can suicide by hitting esc and choosing respawn. Far as lighting goes, I'm not really sure how big a difference it makes with the new beta patch, but servers have their own weather. You can look for a night server that has clear skies - before the latest patch a full moon and clear sky meant being able to see at least the shapes of things around you without messing with any video settings or anything, and out in the open you could see pretty clearly. I haven't played a night server that I could see ANYTHING without a flashlight since installing the beta patch though.

[/quote']

Really poindexter? Where is the part where I learn to see in total pitch fucking blackness? Did you read the part where we tried for over 2 fucking hours so fuck off with your ten minutes arrogant comic-guy bullshit. That is not a learning curve, but a cheap fucking gimmick.

Playing football with no pads is hardcore...playing a mod that claims to be hardcore because the inventory UI is such a piece of shit that it gets you killed is nothing but cheese.

Doubt your pasty ass ever goes outside, but night does not equal total blackout.

Try another 30 minutes and you will be dialed into the UI. It's just like if you changed the controller layout in any game. Weird at first.

there are plenty of servers what are time inverted' date=' there is even a thread that is working on listing them.

Granted it's always REALLY dark when dark most of the time, but I have seen it be just as dark when camping myself.

DayZ is, has, and hopefully will never stop being an extremely unforgiving game. Lastly, get used to playing at night, it's a big fat pain, but exponentially safer.

[/quote']

I have no problem with night as another challenge to the game, but in its current state there are some spawns location where a new survivor simply will never survive simply because he cannot find any loot locations before running out of flares. Not going to stand in one place for 2 hours of game time waiting for the sun to rise...again...that is not hardcore...that is cheap.

That has to be addressed.

Did you ever think of going into the video options and turning the gamma and brightness all the way up. It's almost like having a crappy version of nightvision. At least you can see something that way.