ChernoPTA

1.7.3 - Lets Wipe the Hive

Lets Wipe The Hive  

937 members have voted

1. 1. Should we wipe the Hive for 1.7.3?

• Yes
    • No

Not entirely necessary, lets try to keep the thread clean. The feces throwing section is up a few forums. Thanks man.

Not entirely but probably partially. The internet tough guy routine is just so old though. Dude probably hasnt even held a gun let alone shot one. Regardless, back on track. Wipe the hive!!!

Attrition removes a ton of crap from the hive every day.

Source?

Just because people are throwing away Makarovs and double-barrels as soon as they find a G17 and M4 CCO doesn't mean the quantity of good items is going to return to sanity anytime soon.

All my itemduping was hard work!!! NO RESET!

Just kidding, I would be a bit sad about my GPS, that took me ages to find :) A fresh start would be great, I personally dont need big-ass weapons, I stick with my trusty M1014.

Edited by EndEffeKt

Oh man, a server wipe would make the game fun again even despite the hackers. Its just too easy to gear up now.

Gone are the days I had to run up to NW airfield and loot the barracks trying to get some assault rifles, and giggle like a little girl when I found a heli crash.

These days I can go from fresh-spawn to fully geared Range-finders/NVGS/AS50/L85/GPS/CCOSD ETC in literally 20 minutes.

Just head to sniper hill on cherno or electro on a decent pop server and your more than likely to find dead snipers you can loot. The duping has gotten so bad that often youll find entire tents full of gear up there because the dupers were too lazy to run back to camps so they simply duped all the gear they needed in tents right outside cherno/electro. A few weeks ago I was doing something similar myself (not the duping). I was electro-cherno sniping a lot (bored meh) and was too lazy to run to the camps in the far west and north, so I simply drove down one of my vehicles close to cherno/electro and filled it with gear I looted off snipers and tents near cherno. Normally parking a vehicle so close to cherno/electro would be a giant waste, but the ease with which you can find gear made it so that I did not care. That is a sad state of affairs to be in.

I agree that the underlying tent-saving mechanic needs to be addressed, but I disagree with those who say it is pointless to do a server wipe until said issue is fixed. The servers have reached insane saturation with high end military gear, and a server wipe now would still give us 1-2 months of fun gaming until it reaches saturation again. I wouldn't mind a server wipe every two months until the underlying issue is addressed =)

Edited by Fat-Marco

Whilst I support this.

This will be the longest it takes server owners to update their server yet.

So many servers will not update to 1.7.3 if it means a wipe. Or is that not how it works...

So many servers will not update to 1.7.3 if it means a wipe. Or is that not how it works...

then they should not be allowed to connect to the hive until they do.. alpha test is about testing the latest build.. not updating because you don't like something about the new build is retarded

Edited by moriak

Whilst I support this.

This will be the longest it takes server owners to update their server yet.

Servers hesitate to patch because they think a previous patch was more stable/fun and that more people want to play it. As poll shows 85% so far would like a hive wipe. Hopefully server admins are also likewise enthusiastic.

Although you may have a point though since most server admins run clans and have vehicles and large camps so they may be more reticent to support a hive wipe. But nonetheless i'm sure most of them are as bored as us because of the impact of mass duping. I'm sure a large numbers of servers would happily patch if it meant that some fresh fun was injected into the game.

A fresh hive wipe with tents disabled (until tents can be fixed) would get me playing the game again. Right now i've taken a break because it's gotten a bit boring. Most of the people I used to play with left the game a few weeks back as well. Hackers will still be a huge pain, but it would alleviate one of the main drawbacks of day-z right now. Super super mass supply of bazillions of high end military gear. With no tents even if hackers spawned in crates, there would be no way to stockpile them and it would be a slow crawl back to saturation so wed have fun for a few months still

Edited by Fat-Marco

I dont see how this will effect the hackers (who will just spawn more hacked gear) or tent dupers, this needs to be done after the tents are fixed doing it before is pointless.

I dont see how this will effect the hackers (who will just spawn more hacked gear) or tent dupers, this needs to be done after the tents are fixed doing it before is pointless.

It would remove 4 months worth of duping and hacker saturation on the servers.

It will take quite a while before the situation becomes as bad as it is right now again.

The best thing would be to hive wipe AND disable tents alltogether (save tents for standalone). Fixing tents would be good but hackers could still fill up non-duping tents with hacked in gear. With no tents they are limited to llegit vehicle slots since spawned in vehicles vanish upon daily server restarts.

It would remove 4 months worth of duping and hacker saturation on the servers.

It will take quite a while before the situation becomes as bad as it is right now again.

The best thing would be to hive wipe AND disable tents alltogether (save tents for standalone). Fixing tents would be good but hackers could still fill up non-duping tents with hacked in gear. With no tents they are limited to llegit vehicle slots since spawned in vehicles vanish upon daily server restarts.

Meh i doubt it if you will remember it only took about 2-3weeks after the mod became popular for the hackers/dupers to run riot and before you knew it everyone had an l85 and a 50 cal sniper a hive wipe will change that but it wont last any longer than 2 weeks max. Tents need to be fixed first imo for this to have any lasting effect.

And i doubt rocket will go as far as disabling tents after the work they have put into them.

Edited by luke688

Meh i doubt it if you will remember it only took about 2-3weeks after the mod became popular for the hackers/dupers to run riot and before you knew it everyone had an l85 and a 50 cal sniper a hive wipe will change that but it wont last any longer than 2 weeks max. Tents need to be fixed first imo for this to have any lasting effect.

And i doubt rocket will go as far as disabling tents after the work they have put into them.

Actually thats not true.

June --> July --> August ------ saw a very ssteady increase in the item saturation of items. Late July-August got particularly bad. It took a good two months before all the duped items begain to really start impacting the game heavily

Edited by Fat-Marco

Let me try to reiterate my stance here, in reference to hackers and concerns with hackers.

We are not here to concern ourselves with the data produced by basement dwelling neckbeard jerkasses and 14 year old children who haven't figured out that life doesn't have cheat codes yet.

What they do, their disruptions, their "spawning" of items, is absolutely pointless and meaningless to the greater priority which is to provide as much real and veritable data on alpha builds as possible.

That is the only concern, it is all that matters. People let hackers take up too much space in their heads...you know what, hackers get banned, I've got 1514 of them banned on my server right now. BattlEye bans even more of them.

Over time, what they do is absolutely meaningless in comparison to what every legitimate or as legitimate as possible player is doing in the DayZ environment at this time. You want to play, you want to have fun, you want to have an "equal chance" and you view these hackers as some kind of impediment to that, you give them far too much power, and every time the DayZ forum squeals like a pig, someone over on 4chan is lulzing it up because your tears are gravy on their steak as far as they're concerned.

Lets talk numbers, lets talk real numbers here. Of 1.1 million individual players there is a good outside chance that 10% of that number are probably hackers. Thats 110,000 hackers, give or take a few....lot of hackers, an army almost. But for every hacker there is, there is a ten to one ratio of people playing the game more or less as intended.

And for every ammo box spawned, only one or two people have actually taken anything out of it, same with Thunderdomes and whatever else.

Now lets think about tents. Our last veritable information from the DayZ staff was that there were WELL over a million tents storing data on the Hive. That is where part of the problem with saves are coming from.

Now lets think about the fact that most DayZ servers restart at least once a day if not up to 4 times a day to maintain optimal performance.

1 million tents, and an average of 40 players per server with upwards of 4000 servers.

In theory this means that the EXACT SAME tent has handed at least 4 separate individual players the same weapons, tools and ammunition, once every day for the last month.

One million tents, times one million players times four million copies of the same gun, every, single, day. And thats not even taking into account every individual item in a tent, thats just theoretically throwing around worst case scenario numbers where EVERY tent on the Hive only has ONE ITEM PERIOD.

Four million duped items a day, completely by fault of design.

Do you really think a hacker, or even an army of hackers can replicate that?

No...they cannot. 1.7.2.5 has been more detrimental than hackers, 1.7.2.5 has taken a lot of the work out of being a "hacker" far as gear is concerned, 1.7.2.5 has replicated more items in the last 30 days than "hackers" have in the entire lifespan of DayZ as a mod so far.

So stop concerning yourselves with hackers, they're not even statistically relevant in regards to the replication numbers we're talking about in reference to the 1.7.2.5 situation.

Edited by ChernoPTA

Up to an 87% percent majority though only 635 votes total isn't even a 1% representation of the daily concurrency.

Still seems like the prevailing wind is behind this idea though, regardless.

Even though I've managed to stay alive for quite long and gotten myself decent enough gear, I do favor this idea. Especielly if it means resetting vechiles on servers as well (im still not entirely sure on how that works though). I've recently been experiencing more and more the agony and pain of finding vechiles, as it seems more and more clans favor the idea of selfishly hoarding more then they could possibly use.

A clean slate is badly needed, especielly if it gets the mod back in an enjoyable fashion.

I was all for this suggestion until I actually sat down and thought about what a hive wipe would mean, sure it would clean up the majority of issues for a week or so but dupers would still have a ton of ways to circumvent this process and if they are not fixed I do not know how cool I would be with my mostly legitimate gear (I took an L85 out of my tent that was mysteriously put there after someone stole my offroad truck).

When a new patch comes out you can still find servers using the old patch for weeks, log onto one of those servers and set up a tent and you now have infinite gear again. Or log onto an old version and dupe your body, take your high level gear and repeat (if none of you have seen the guys standing with a pistol who are "dead" this is the body dupe, highly annoying). I am completely fine with a wipe of all gear, I know how to play and it will not take that long to replace most of the gear (NVG's represent the only gear I have ever had trouble finding in a legitimate manner). Just to be clear I attempt to play 100% legitimate, this means I do not dupe myself and always feel bad for taking things from obvious duper tents unless it is too awesome to pass up (I am looking at you satchel charges). I usually try to satchel charge tent fields despite knowing they will be back.

Edit: Debug fields and forest needs to eat any tents or vehicles stored out there to combat these vehicle hoarding a holes. If I find a vehicle hoard I also satchel charge that nonsense after stealing what my group can use (usually means two to a vehicle at the very least so no more than three).

Edited by Zombie Jesus

I find it somewhat confusing that people think an old patch somehow means the Hive will be retaining data for servers using an old patch.

The "Hive" is not a locally hosted database on each server. Its independent of all servers. Irregardless of the server version, a blank Hive means the exact same thing in all respects.

Wipe it, good idea.

I don't even have to go north anymore. Stay in Cherno/Elektro, camp an area you know snipers will log in looking to get cheap shots on a high pop server, loot their gear and you're good to go. Inevitably you will end up with an AS50, very often with the TWS thermal scope, and then their assault rifle of choice, usually a m4 cco sd or l85 aws, sometimes a mk48, etc. Its getting boring to be honest, a lot of the attraction of this game is finding the loot in its normal spawn areas.