Sign in to follow this  
Protein (DayZ)

TRAIN

You used Necromancy on a shitty thread to advertise your clan's, admittedly cool sounding, achievement?

Lol i say yes to nearly every suggesstion give the players the tools is my opinion. Ok so trains would be a good idea you can build it up like a freaking fortress with armor plateing and have mini guns and lmgs every were. Now transport goods round the map. Like weapons cars animals and have a organsied goods of tradeing rebuild back humanity, people would piss there pants if there were servers like this lol. And for people who say no to trains firstly why the hell not secondly your not seeing the big picture of what dayz could become becasue the devs acctualy give two fucks about the game there makeing. I once heard dean say in a interview he would retire when there was a organsied economy in the game or sumet like that. Trains are they way forward and if you dont like trains blow them up off your server with satchle charges done problem solved.

Edited by jona
  • Like 1

It's better than creating a new thread right!?

Actually, from what I've read in your brief post it WOULD be better to start a new Thread about it and is different enough to warrant its own thread.

a fixable train gets the thumbs up from me. so do train wrecks and a fixable railway. imagine the player congestion on an autonomus line? it would be like a hatchet fest on a london tubeline.

also if you fix the train you take the conscious decision to risk losing it when you log off.. and thats your decision.

or maybe you could back it into a (train) hangar? not sure what theyre called.. and have it locked? then of course you're running the risk of people camping outside for when you want to set off again?

I dont know im literally typing as im thinking here.

a fixable train gets the thumbs up from me. so do train wrecks and a fixable railway. imagine the player congestion on an autonomus line? it would be like a hatchet fest on a london tubeline.

agree with you there, as long as it's done right (judging from how close to real they modeled the tracks, I have no worries there if they actually do put working trains in)

also if you fix the train you take the conscious decision to risk losing it when you log off.. and thats your decision.

that goes with anything

or maybe you could back it into a (train) hangar? not sure what theyre called.. and have it locked? then of course you're running the risk of people camping outside for when you want to set off again?

Shed or Roundhouse, depending on how its built (if its like a 'hanger' then its a shed), most of them don't really have a lockable door (again, depending on design) as it's normally too difficult for someone without training to start up, let alone move a locomotive. (train itself is usually locked along with the cabinets being locked, and that's in the middle of a train yard with a security presence), TL;DR Id say no to locking trains up in a shed. That or players could simply shoot off the lock.

I dont know im literally typing as im thinking here.

bigmike...

i agree with your point, it was a false solution but i was just playing with ideas in my head.

if a train was implemented i think it would be best left out in the open if you logged off, but then again even so it would be a good feature and would give people a central target.

imagine a clan having control of it and you plan an ambush managing to shoot the driver then a skirmish forms around the immobilised train.

Would be a good target/asset. As of right now the tracks go through 3 of the major cities, Balota Airfeild, and some high value loot areas (solnichy factory). Group of 4 on overwatch, 2-3 running around grabbing supplies, and of course the engineer also on overwatch while the train's stopped. Overwatch do their thing, Scavengers go out with empty packs and grab as much stuff as they can/whats needed, then run back to the train to unload and jump back on, move on to the next stop, rinse repeat, fight off bandits/rival groups or scare away loners. Wherever you 'stop' you got cars waiting to load up stuff from the train and move back to camp.

To be honest tank traps would probably be enough to derail/stop a train (you'd be surprised how easily you can derail a train)

Would be a good target/asset. As of right now the tracks go through 3 of the major cities, Balota Airfeild, and some high value loot areas (solnichy factory). Group of 4 on overwatch, 2-3 running around grabbing supplies, and of course the engineer also on overwatch while the train's stopped. Overwatch do their thing, Scavengers go out with empty packs and grab as much stuff as they can/whats needed, then run back to the train to unload and jump back on, move on to the next stop, rinse repeat, fight off bandits/rival groups or scare away loners. Wherever you 'stop' you got cars waiting to load up stuff from the train and move back to camp.

To be honest tank traps would probably be enough to derail/stop a train (you'd be surprised how easily you can derail a train)

this sounds good to me. i think it would have to be easy to derail in the momentum that could be gained using a fully working train would be too much, think about the effects of the point you posted, it would give people alot of power having easy access to various loot spawns. if kept hold of it would definately gain you notoriety on a server.

The idea of a working train system has been mentioned many times before, many, many times.

Not something so ridiculous as a fully functioning train but better ideas such as a handcar or a petrol train that is repairable.

You have to make an idea that fits the world you are gaming in.

Like you said before, it doesn't have to be super realistic (broken leg example) but it needs to fit in.

Fully functional train system is not going to be introduced but have a look around the forum and see if you can think of something that is unique but also suits the game.

The developers must be considering this by now, its had so many people mention the idea.

The idea of a working train system has been mentioned many times before, many, many times.

Not something so ridiculous as a fully functioning train but better ideas such as a handcar or a petrol train that is repairable.

You have to make an idea that fits the world you are gaming in.

Like you said before, it doesn't have to be super realistic (broken leg example) but it needs to fit in.

Fully functional train system is not going to be introduced but have a look around the forum and see if you can think of something that is unique but also suits the game.

The developers must be considering this by now, its had so many people mention the idea.

Do you already played DayZ? Do you know, what means post apocalyptic land? Here no triains, malls, and KFC, there is zombieland!

What a stupid idea.

Do you already played DayZ? Do you know, what means post apocalyptic land? Here no triains, malls, and KFC, there is zombieland!

What a stupid idea.

Yeah excursion ! do you not know in a post apocolyptic land there are no cars, helicopters and guns ! dont be so silly with your valid suggestions that are in no way less plausible than whats already in the game !

• Like 2

If anyone's played Telltale's The Walking Dead game, they would have probably come across Episode 4's steam train.

So how about we refine the idea about implementing a train before we shoot it down.

A steam-powered train in the Russian countryside is not impossible. Players would have to gather resources such as firewood or coal (from supermarkets and the like) to fuel the train.

It would have to be repaired in some way, shape or form.

The train would have to be 100% player controlled; no autonomy, no set stops. The assuming conductor will have to predetermine his stops and stop the train manually.

The train would be very resource intensive, only going a short while before needing to be refueled.

The train, being as loud as a steam-train is would alert a huge mass of infected once rolling, providing even more risk to its use.

Perhaps someone should polish this idea up and repost it, because it is a good one, IMO.

If anyone's played Telltale's The Walking Dead game, they would have probably come across Episode 4's steam train.

So how about we refine the idea about implementing a train before we shoot it down.

A steam-powered train in the Russian countryside is not impossible. Players would have to gather resources such as firewood or coal (from supermarkets and the like) to fuel the train.

The train would have to be 100% player controlled; no autonomy, no set stops. The assuming conductor will have to predetermine his stops and stop the train manually.

The train would be very resource intensive, only going a short while before needing to be refueled.

The train, being as loud as a steam-train is would alert a huge mass of infected once rolling, providing even more risk to its use.

Perhaps someone should polish this idea up and repost it, because it is a good one, IMO.

some good ideas there, i dont think it should be that resource intensive as there are alot of other drawbacks (some of which you pointed out)such as

- set track (therefore easy to find)

- more than likely lost when you log off

- its a big target

i dont think it should be treated like its gonna be this tide tipping behemoth because IMO helicopters are the most useful.

also there is going to be have to be reasons left to repair and run this train other than novelty.

More likely to come across one in China, but I believe there's a few still in active service in Eastern Europe (Where Chenarus is). And honestly a steam train is VERY resource intensive, one of the main reasons they stopped using them for general service in the USA. Wood burning locos fell out of use around the dawn of the 20th century, Coal fired engines require a lot of coal (were talking tons), not to mention water. There's really no way a small group of survivors could get a steam train up and running, much less keep it running (very large chance of inexperienced crew blowing the damn thing up). A simpler solution would be a diesel (and they already have a model they can use sitting on Cherno's docks)

Steam Engines, again VERY hard to repair, much less people who know how to do those repairs.

Agree with you fully.

A steam train, yes, very much indeed. A diesel not so much, yes they do take a lot of fuel but their fairly efficient fuel wise (depending on the model)

True, the engine alone can be pretty loud, let alone the noise of the tracks. Locos and cars are usually pretty high up so there'd be no risk of the zombies pulling people out like they do with cars in the recent patch, and a moving train is VERY hard to get on at any speed beyond 2 MPH (trust me I'm a Brakeman for a historic line that has only one automated grade crossing)

I hate admitting this video exists but...

might want to mute it before the sound starts btw.

Agreed. I shoot down the 'silly' ones like automated/npc trains.

some good ideas there, i dont think it should be that resource intensive as there are alot of other drawbacks (some of which you pointed out)such as

- set track (therefore easy to find)

- more than likely lost when you log off

- its a big target

i dont think it should be treated like its gonna be this tide tipping behemoth because IMO helicopters are the most useful.

Helis have very small cargo space, but yes they are a bit more useful than a train.

also there is going to be have to be reasons left to repair and run this train other than novelty.

The train and loco shouldnt be very big (A switcher or small road engine and 2-3 cars/wagons) refueling it would be the most difficult part.

Things like this

would be easier to implement along with repairs and such.

Just to throw out some info, we designed it so that the train essentially starts in BZ and travels the entire track to Kamenka, reverses and travels back. Once in BZ, it repeats. At each train station are those little raised platforms that you would walk on to enter/exit the train. It stops at each for 1 minute, blasting its horn before its arrival, before continuing on to the next stop. Is it "realistic" to have a working AI driven train in a post apocalyptic atmosphere? No. Is it cool as shit to see and hear that thing rolling through town while you're looting the store in Electro? Hell yeah! This is a freaking video game designed for entertainment.

post-137512-0-70253700-1363842451_thumb.

lol @ crusader- I didn't want to dignify him with a response but I do love a bit of sarcasm, you have my bean :)

Yes, sarcasm, the lowest form of witt to deal with the lowest for of opposition (the misinformed!)

no... no... aaaaaand no. Trains are retarded

EDIT: How come any semi-interesting idea/suggestion on these forums gets instantly shot down but the idea of a train rolling through a post apocalyptic world passes by unnoticed?

My dad looked over the quote of you saying "Trains are retarded". I don't see a reason why him nor I wouldn't get upset considering he's worked in the railway for 9 years. Trains are good, The steel wheel came before the rubber wheel, Not to mention a train is a zombie mincer and a bicycle and a tractor is in DayZ so i don't see how a train can be inpracticle compared to a fucking tractor. Riding a tractor in game screams "DERPA HERPA LEWK AT ME GUYS!"

EDIT: But seriously have a player run train, And trains aren't retarded, they have no intelligence, they have no brain, Where is your logic?

Edited by LancerG2
  • Like 1

YES! Finally someone else who has at least an understanding of what I'm trying to say!

Why not just add free teleporting into the game? No, the train should NOT be autonomous. Make one that is fixable by players and driven by players. That's how DayZ should be and how it will be.

• Like 1

Trains in game would be awesome. But they shouldn't be auto. Find the parts/fuel to fix them. Makes it more interesting.

It would be really nice place two main rotor assemblies on a locomotive and make your own improvised Chinook.