Mikeloeven (DayZ)

Give Current Dayz Players Free Game Keys On Release

I read on a news post how dayz is going to be developed as a full standalone game. and i know i speak for a few people when i say the ONLY ! reason i purchased ARMA was because of this mod and i would feel taken advantage if later down the road i had to PAY to repurchase a game that i had been playing right along. i think it is only fair that players who purchesed ARMA just for this mod should be given keys when the full version comes out because lets face it were never going to play arma as is :/

dont buy it then

So your saying only those who bought arma 2 for dayz should get a free copy of the standalone?

I bought Arma 2 three years ago. Do I get a free copy of DayZ too? No, because it's a different game.

• Like 3

No.

You bought a fully functioning game (ARMA 2) so you could play a mod. That's not Rocket or Bohemia's problem. No one forced you to buy it.

I bought ARMA 2 because I wanted to play ARMA 2. I also paid release retail price for it on Steam, meaning I paid more for it than you did.

Are you telling me that you should get a free copy of DayZ Standalone, and I shouldn't, because you bought ARMA 2 specifically for DayZ, but I bought it ARMA 2 on its own merits, even though I paid over double what you did for it?

• Like 1

I read on a news post how dayz is going to be developed as a full standalone game. and i know i speak for a few people when i say the ONLY ! reason i purchased ARMA was because of this mod and i would feel taken advantage if later down the road i had to PAY to repurchase a game that i had been playing right along. i think it is only fair that players who purchesed ARMA just for this mod should be given keys when the full version comes out because lets face it were never going to play arma as is :/

NO, no, no

Second... Arma 2 is pretty good...

third.... NO

How do you expect them to fund the project or make a paycheck if they gave all of us 1 million plus people the game for free.

Stop your bitching and pay the 10 dollars.

When you grow up and have to work for a living to put food on the table, maybe then you will realize...

• Like 3

Take a look at Armaholic.com

The community behind Arma 2 is absolutely ridiculous. Fully voiced, quality campaigns, new maps, a ludicrous amount of single-player, multiplayer, and co-op missions? Oh and Dayz aswell!

Even if Arma 2 didn't come with a full fledged single player campaign, The content from the community makes paying for this game an absolute steal at $30.

yeah but he only got it for dayz.. so i mean if they want to be like that I guess everyone could boycott the game.

Yeah and the rest of us will all buy it.

I bought a really awesome chalupa to eat while I was playing DayZ. Rocket owes me a free standalone key.

Arma 2 editor is sooo much fun. Give it a try. I love learning to make more and more complicated scenarios. When I started I could hardly make two factions fight each other. Now I can make units do many different things like :Heli landing, IEDs, ambushes, strafing runs and artillery and much more. Seriously try it.

This would be like someone who bought Unreal Tournament to play Killing Floor, and then demanding that they get a free copy of the retail, stand alone Killing Floor.

You bought a GAME to play a MOD. If you had no intentions of playing the game, then why do you think Bohemia should compensate you for that?

• Like 1

Just pretend that it is called "DayZ 2: Modern Warfare Reskinned" and shell out your money happily

I understand that the way the OP phrased this is, in general, complete asshattery, and I also understand that the vast majority of the forumgoers are Arma fans (their community lends itself to communicating actively, hence all the mods and stuff) but I stand in a unique position, here. Before standalone was ever even mentioned, I spent about two weeks convincing a variety of my friends to purchase DayZ (we frequently joke around that "arma 2 isn't a game, it's an engine" but I do understand that some people like it, I guess?) and in the end, standalone was announced. Putting aside my initial excitement, me and my friends are college students. That taxes heavily on an individual spendable income. I expected the initial purchase to last, at least, a couple years. I didn't buy a Madden game, after all. This evidently isn't the case, and we don't have our parents money to throw around willy nilly.

I know, legally they aren't required to do anything, but it still feels like a betrayal. Or, to be a bit more blunt, a kick in the nuts. Getting it for free WOULD be absurd.

However, a 'trade-in' refund for Arma 2 would not be so ridiculous. =\ The people that enjoy Arma 2 still can, and the people that don't can upgrade their copy of DayZ for a smaller cost.

Edited by Zetal

Paying for the standalone is how it will be funded. Bohemia recognized the popularity of DayZ and took the correct step toward a standalone. Support the things you like with your purchases, the alpha is going to be heavily discounted anyway. Life is too short to cry over 5 - 10 $.

Paying for the standalone is how it will be funded. Bohemia recognized the popularity of DayZ and took the correct step toward a standalone. Support the things you like with your purchases, the alpha is going to be heavily discounted anyway. Life is too short to cry over 5 - 10 $.

If they're going to be using the Minecraft model, it could be anywhere from 15-20 dollars. It depends if they consider the initial release of 'standalone' to still be alpha or not.

fuck man i shouldnt buy Arma II at all. I realized there will be a standalone for this mod right after i bought Arma II. Such waste of money...

I've to say, I got the same feeling about it.

I only bought Arma 2 for DayZ, because I thought this would've more of a future as mod,

and when I had bought it I found out they are working on a standalone game.

I'm not interested in Arma 2 at all, I just wanted to play DayZ.

I only started Arma 2 ONCE, because I believe for the mod to work you have to XD.

I would even say bohemia interactive used DayZ to sell more game copies.

You guys know viral marketing?

How about this? If the standalone is released you give me a free copy and disable my

Arma 2 key? That way I own the game I actually paid for, and you guys don't have to

give me a free game, it's just a replacement.

If I have to pay for the standalone once more, I guess I will just switch to WarZ.

WarZ looks better anyways.

Nobody knows for sure if the standalone will be better than the mod.

EDIT:

lol ... WarZ even has some rpg elements.

Then it's settled, if I HAVE to pay, I pay for WarZ.

Edited by grasmann
  • Like 1

I bought Arma 2 just for DayZ, and I would pay double for the standalone. Personally I'd like to see monthly fees for game access which would help weed out immature players. Anyone caught hacking gets perma banned.

That said, I've been thoroughly enjoying the regular Arma 2 missions. I've seen some videos of what looks like an awesome Vietnam mod but I don't think anyone is playing it, or else I'm looking in the wrong place.

Just my 2 cents.

I bought Arma 2 just for DayZ, and I would pay double for the standalone. Personally I'd like to see monthly fees for game access which would help weed out immature players. Anyone caught hacking gets perma banned.

That said, I've been thoroughly enjoying the regular Arma 2 missions. I've seen some videos of what looks like an awesome Vietnam mod but I don't think anyone is playing it, or else I'm looking in the wrong place.

Just my 2 cents.

IF they introduce monthly fees, the game itself has to be free. I will not pay double up for a crapgame that centrals itself on PVP. Rocket has lost his mind when he wants the real threat to be other players.

I've to say, I got the same feeling about it.

I only bought Arma 2 for DayZ, because I thought this would've more of a future as mod,

and when I had bought it I found out they are working on a standalone game.

I'm not interested in Arma 2 at all, I just wanted to play DayZ.

I only started Arma 2 ONCE, because I believe for the mod to work you have to XD.

I would even say bohemia interactive used DayZ to sell more game copies.

You guys know viral marketing?

How about this? If the standalone is released you give me a free copy and disable my

Arma 2 key? That way I own the game I actually paid for, and you guys don't have to

give me a free game, it's just a replacement.

If I have to pay for the standalone once more, I guess I will just switch to WarZ.

WarZ looks better anyways.

In other words ... if I have to pay ... I pay for a better game.

Nobody knows for sure if the standalone will be better than the mod.

The Mod is going to continue as a project even after the standalone is complete. Rockets intention is to eventually open it up to other modders. I'm not sure how you could have just bought Arma for the mod without realising there's a standalone around the corner. The news was released on every single gaming website as well as the front page of this site, right next to where you had to click "download Alpha".

• Like 1

I bought a Whopper in Burger King the other day, can McDonald's give me Big Mac for free? Thanks.

PS: I wouldn't mind a "trial" account or something like that, to give people some limited time to play and test the game.

But free keys for people who bought ARMA 2? That makes no sense to me.

Edited by Fenrig
  • Like 2

I understand that the way the OP phrased this is, in general, complete asshattery, and I also understand that the vast majority of the forumgoers are Arma fans (their community lends itself to communicating actively, hence all the mods and stuff) but I stand in a unique position, here. Before standalone was ever even mentioned, I spent about two weeks convincing a variety of my friends to purchase DayZ (we frequently joke around that "arma 2 isn't a game, it's an engine" but I do understand that some people like it, I guess?) and in the end, standalone was announced. Putting aside my initial excitement, me and my friends are college students. That taxes heavily on an individual spendable income. I expected the initial purchase to last, at least, a couple years. I didn't buy a Madden game, after all. This evidently isn't the case, and we don't have our parents money to throw around willy nilly.

I know, legally they aren't required to do anything, but it still feels like a betrayal. Or, to be a bit more blunt, a kick in the nuts. Getting it for free WOULD be absurd.

However, a 'trade-in' refund for Arma 2 would not be so ridiculous. =\ The people that enjoy Arma 2 still can, and the people that don't can upgrade their copy of DayZ for a smaller cost.

I can never tell if people ignore these kinds of posts on purpose, or if they just get buried and ignored because they honestly don't notice them.

The Mod is going to continue as a project even after the standalone is complete. Rockets intention is to eventually open it up to other modders. I'm not sure how you could have just bought Arma for the mod without realising there's a standalone around the corner. The news was released on every single gaming website as well as the front page of this site, right next to where you had to click "download Alpha".

So? My offer stays the same: They give me the standalone and disable my Arma 2 and Arma 2 Arrowhead keys, or I will buy WarZ.

Simple as that.

I mean come on ... they don't have a disadvantage from that ... if I had waited for the standalone it would have been exactly the same.

Edited by grasmann

So? My offer stays the same: They give me the standalone and disable my Arma 2 and Arma 2 Arrowhead keys, or I will buy WarZ.

Simple as that.

I mean come on ... they don't have a disadvantage from that ... if I had waited for the standalone it'd have been exactly like that.

Why should anyone do that? LOL

• Like 1