The_Dude (DayZ)

Being a hero versus being a bandit

Got my new shirt today and I'm glad I persevered with my own game plan. (Although I was close to just becoming a KOS'r after getting nailed by players even when they obviously had nothing to gain from killing me except for an increased murder count).

I'm hoping now that at least that players who usually shoot to be safer rather than sorry may now think twice before pulling the trigger.. we shall see.

It doesn't really matter If they do I guess, like I said I'm glad refrained from becoming one of the majority and am happy to die being different.

Hero = very challenging and way more realistically intense.

I was in Cherno, in the SW Firehouse, trying to loot but couldn't get past the barbed wire, when a dude in a ghillie suit and 50 cal runs in, leading a trail of Zombies.

I get him on the mic - probably scared the crap out of him because he didn't know I was there.

I tell him I'm backing out and the room's all his if he can get upstairs.

He comes outside and I tell him to lower his weapon. He has no mic, so he walks toward me backwards and finally types it out in the right channel. He knows I could have killed him already if I was going to and I chose not to. We ended up trading and I got a transfusion.

It all worked out nicely. And good thing too, because his buddy was just across the street and I passed him on my way East to the hospital.

This is what the game is about.

• Like 1

Good is always superior to bad in any game, movie etc. I really want to help survivors out aswell. And a bit off topic but is the turban the bandit skin?

Ive tried being a hero.... after I spent 10-15 minutes helping this new spawn out, giving him a blood transfusion, bandaging him, and killing off the zombies chasing him so he could survive after a gun fight with a bandit, what does he do? Turns around and axes me to death after saying thank you. I was going to invite him to run around with me and my brother when we met up too.... Oh well I got to laugh at seeing him die countless times afterwards.

It's hard to be nice to people after having stuff like that happen, everytime I've expressed being friendly to someone Ive been shot, with the exception of 2 or 3 people.

Being a Hero takes skill and common sense, knowing who to avoid, where to avoid, and how to approach people. Being a bandit takes a gun, bullets, and no empathy, only selfishness.

Don't forget boredom and the fact that people want to PVP. Im a survivor myself, but you can't put the a-hole label on everyone.

• Like 1

I killed my first player last night, in self defence. I'd logged off outside Stary but logged back in to find myself on the SW beach (Grr). I was low on food and water so I decided to follow the shore to Cherno supermarket and stock up ready to go north again, when I got there I opted to swing by the church first. I got in with 1 Z aggroed (it lost interest when it reached the church entrance and wandered off) and I started to scavenge.

When I got to the back of the church I suddenly heard a suppressed weapon firing and started to take damage, the guy was inside the door to the left and I'd either walked right past him or he'd followed me in. Anyway I dropped to my knee and returned fire with the M16 and wasted him quick (I was left on about 4k blood) and got a bandit kill (and now a hero skin) so I went through his things and took food, drink and a bandage to replace the one I'd used and left the rest (the weapon was an MP5 SD, he must have hit me at least four times with it so I deemed it shit and left it lol)

I felt bad though as I assume I got the bandit kill because he fired first, but he may have been innocent and just panicked therefore becoming a bandit the instant before I killed him I guess... There was no time to communicate and I suppose he saw a guy with an M16 and Gillie suit and wanted my stuff. Ironically now I have the hero skin, he could have had the gillie suit off me!

I normally just ignore or avoid other players and I didn't find killing him fun, but I enjoy the fact that pvp make players constantly vulnerable and I think bandits are necessary.

Had the same thing yesterday, some unarmed newspawn was chased by zombs into the cafe in Cherno, helped the guy out, dropped my AK and hatched

5 of em

Believe it or not, I play the game for 2 and a half months now and stil havent killed anyone.

I had some encounters where I had to return fire, despite being killed with a heavier gun.

After the incident yesterday it could've turned bad for me dropping the AK I tought afterwards, the guy could,ve taken it and shoot me in the back.

Edited by NL-Fierce

So, being cautious is shooting unarmed survivors for painkillers and a flashlight? Oh, or is it shooting a guy from 800m away because he is a threat somehow? Or maybe its camping the airfield and killing anyone who comes, because you are being cautious? Yeah, sounds like bullshit.

If you're trying to argue that bandits are survivors killing other survivors for gear, then you need to play DayZ, because you are very wrong.

Lots of little kiddies on servers just for bragging about killstreaks.

I hear it all the time; " I have the highest killstreak on this server, on that server..... >:(

If you wer running buttnaked in the streets of Elektro they would even shoot your ass for organs ;)

Edited by NL-Fierce

Bandits are necessary and add to the fun with two really important exceptions. Camping snipers who don't even need the kit and hacker bandits. Being run over by a teleporting car driven by a zed (not me but two of my mates) is not fun. I love the idea of the overwatch teams. If you think that you're the God of Sniping then being "God" from Navy Seals is a true test of your abilities rather than picking off the guy with the hatchet. At its core Day Z is really basic, but guys like the overwatchers, the medics, the traders and other general good samaritans add so much more variety than the guys who are just playing deathmatch all the time. There are games that are all about that you know?

• Like 3

The ''old-new'' thing happened - Karma.

When i was in Stary i saw two guys coming my way. One of them had and AKM, second had CZ550 on his back and Silenced gun in hand. They saw me too.

I tried to hide in market.

Then all started:

-Are you friendly - they asked

-I am friendly guys! Im no threat ! Out of ammo! - i replied

When they heard out of ammo they started to sprint in my direction. When they entered the shop gun blazing they had a little suprise.

I was bluffing.

I could see suprise and fear in their eyes when i was pointing my double barrel at them from 3 meters.

I blasted guy with AKM before he even blink. Second one got hit too i think because he started to bleed - guess what ALT+F4.

I took some stuff from dead body and was waiting till the second one log to help his friend recover body.

But he outsmarted me.....

He logged on another server, changed position and loged back in on server i was.

I had no chance. I got hit by sniper rifle from afar in face when i was peeking outside with Q.

Guess what - KARMA.

Session lost.

When i logged in i was alive and had all items i looted.

So thanks for MAP, AKM, AMMO and ofc Beans.

Sniper rifle, attacking unarmed, alt+f4, server hop.

All in one. Damn coward.

• Like 1

you just need to remember - a bandit may need to call for the assistance of a hero(healer) but a hero WILL NEVER need to call for the assistance of a bandit.

Why's that? Bandits don't carry bandage or morphine? Trust me I've run into just as many "heros" who don't offer help as much as bandits but at least with the bandits you know where they stand. I think the term HERO is stupid BTW, Do you guys go out "saving the day" with your cape and good deeds? Your a survivor, period. Which means you scavenge food and avoid confrontation. You should call yourselves "Pansies" instead ;)

I've yet to be "healed" by another player and have been killed by just as many "heros" as "bandits". I have no problem with either and don't consider myself a bandit nor am I a "hero". I play by myself and don't intend to put myself in harms way just because you thought it would be "fun" going to NW airport with nothing but an axe.. Why should I be the hero and lose the 45 days worth of loot I worked hard to get because you haven't figured out how to outrun a Zed?.. Screw that! You be the HERO! :)

PS. It's just a video game guys not real life. I'm not concerned with how YOU wish to play your game, That's what makes this one pretty cool since you can play any style you want. The hackers are the ones everybody should be pissed at. They ruin the game not the bandits or "heros"

Edited by Rogue1
  • Like 1

my friend and i mainly play this game for the lols. the other day we armed ourselves with crossbows and ran through electro making indian noises through voice chat firing bolts at people. another session my buddy had a bandit skin and i didn't, we spotted two guys running unarmed toward elektro. i had an ak74-kobra and my friend had an as50 with no ammo. so we roll up on the two and see one actually has a hatchet so i light into him. my buddy runs up and establishes comms and gives the guy food, bandages and his as50 and we just sprint off into town while the zombies i aggroed from shooting his buddy swarmed the other guy.

antoher day a yellow hatchback pulls up right next to me and honks so i get in. turns out the driver had a hacked in jason skin "hockey mask and all" and the car was playing "sexy and i know it" by lmfao and the skin was actually singing along. it was funny as hell but i got the fug out of there as fast as possible.

seriously its a game, make it whatever you want. stupid shit will happen but i have yet to see a game where something stupid doesn't happen all the time. (anyone that ever played sid meiers civilization III remembers at least once having a tank lose to a spearman, i have yet to see something that dumb happen on dayz).

I have not got it yet,as I need a better laptop but when I get it I will be on the good guy path,though if I am shot at constantly by the player I will kill them.Even of they didn't mean it.

This happened in DayZ 2.3 so there were no bandit skins.

My friends and I were raiding the tents at Stary when we heard a voice over the chat saying "friendly". We looked around and saw a guy crawling to us out of some long grass, he said a broken leg and needed some blood. We gave him some blood and then one of the guys in our group said, over the chat, "listen to his heartbeat, he's a bandit!" the rest of us didn't even realize that he had the heart of a rabbit and as soon as he said that the bandit got up in an attempt to escape and got shot in the face, we hadn't given him morphine and he started to run so he was faking having a broken leg. Almost immediately after, we were taking fire from the trees and bushes north of the tents. We managed to kill them with no friendly losses and make it out of Stary.

That was like the first week we started playing this game. lol

Despite everyone saying the pine tree hill being the easiest prey in the game i never seen anyone up there.Let alone a sniper. Just seems like snipers avoid it because its too obvious and survivors avoid it because of snipers so it remains empty.

This has nothing to do with hardcore men or carebears, I did not promote being a "hero" or a bandit.

And I am certently not a hardcore gamer, I usually play on the easiest settings in a game :P

It just seems to me that this game is not ment to be played with outside communications, not becuase its harder that way, becuase it just seems, at least to me, better and more fun.

I just think there are games more suitable for the style you are playing in dayz, not a fact, just an opinion.

They call this game a sandbox for a reason.

The same way that you say to me that there are different games to play the way i do, i can say the same to you.

The game (actually, every single game) can't totally represent real features like our communication, so people do what they can do make the experience more enjoyable.

There again, sandbox game.

I'd call myself a 'Robin Hood' type character [Not to sound egotistical] I'm often in the large cities, Elektro / Cherno / Occasionally Stary Sobor, mainly killing Bandits to allow Fresh-Spawns a chance to survive. Afterwhich I leave the Bodies, and point said Fresh-Spawns towards them to try and get geared up.. Backfires a little, sometimes, and I have to shoot the people I've just helped due to them attacking me.. But meh. :> I see no point in trying to horde items after you've gotten geared up at the N/W Airfield, hence the reason I go back to the coast. If I die, I do it again. I choose not to make some Troll Bandit have his 2'' ePeni grow by raging in Chat.

After getting somewhat bored of my current life (76 days and counting)

You're trying to tell me, that you haven't met a single script hacker for 76 days?

I like sci-fi and fantasy, but this is too much.

That is, unless you play for 5 minutes a day on an empty server. Even then, a hacker is inevitable.

Edited by Stworca

Lets face it, if your going to try and call people on a video game selfish, cowards and people without empathy just because they kill other survivors for gear and supplies then you shouldn't be playing. DayZ isn't CareBear land and the ONLY people you should trust is friends or a group that you've been with for awhile other than that its shoot on sight in my books and thanks for the gear. Its your own fault for not being cautious and watching your surroundings and get nailed in the face by an AS50 round.

Please don't patronize, and please stop trying to tell me how to play the game. If you're a bandit, which I'm sure you are, I'll hunt you down and park a hatchet in your eyeball. When I do, I hope it will be just as enjoyable to you as it will be to me. After all, that's the nature of a sandbox game. :murder:

Personally, I get the most pleasure out of playing the hero. Basically, it makes me the good guy. Thus people like me more, root for me, cheer me on, and women throw themselves at me. When I'm not out hunting bandits and griefers, I'm posing like Johnny Bravo and looking at my own muscles.

Damn, I look good!

Edited by kebman

After getting somewhat bored of my current life (76 days and counting), and spending numerous in-game hours player watching for amusement I have now created my own mini game and taken to providing anonymous overwatch for unarmed players or those who seem to be just carrying basic weaponry if they manage to get themselves into trouble with Zeds. I usually setup in a tree-line overlooking one of the small villages or towns such as Shakhovka, Dolina etc. work out all my ranges, plan an escape route incase somebody unsavoury turns up and just wait it out. It's not unusual to see two or three survivors pass through looking for loot in as many hours. If they happen to draw agro I simply attempt to kill any Zeds that get near them. Usually after the first sniper shot rings out or they notice zombies dropping near them they mostly just leg it. But I have had a few that have just gone prone and let me clean up around them, although most likely out of the fear that they think I'm a bandit or something. After helping a survivor and trying to remain unseen I wait until he has left the area, then relocate to a new position or town/village.

I do not enjoy PvP, have zero murders and no bandit kills but have a full compliment of end-game gear. This was the only way I could think of of having a use for it (apart from if engaged by hostiles) but yet refrain from killing players.

I thought i met someone like you. He shot the zombies on my tail, gave me a m249, led me to a heli crash site, cleared the zombies, let me have all the loot(FN FAL and a Bizon with 3 mags), then gave me directions to the nearest large town, then finally shot me in the back. THANKS FUCKER!

Lets face it, if your going to try and call people on a video game selfish, cowards and people without empathy just because they kill other survivors for gear and supplies then you shouldn't be playing. DayZ isn't CareBear land and the ONLY people you should trust is friends or a group that you've been with for awhile other than that its shoot on sight in my books and thanks for the gear. Its your own fault for not being cautious and watching your surroundings and get nailed in the face by an AS50 round.

Sad fact of the matter is, many gamers are young/childish/selfish/immature. Now I'm a huge gamer but I know other gamers that are all those things I listed. They give the rest of us older more mature guys a bad name and people sometimes look at me funny when I tell them what I do with my spare time. As far as games go, DayZ is one of the very few games out there where you can really get a sense of a players maturity level.

The butterfly effect is strong with this one. You likely allowed several people to die by sparing the life of an afk fully geared sniper in the woods outside of an airfield.

If someone's at the treeline outside of a military zone, with a sniper rifle, they're a bandit. That's just how it is.

So you ended up with a choice between chaotic good and neutral evil. You chose neutral evil.