The_Dude (DayZ)

Being a hero versus being a bandit

I'm a Bandit, so what?

Yes, there are people that shoot others who have no gear on the shore from 800meters away. And think they have skill, but I'm sick of everyone interpreting Bandits to be people who just kill un-armed people for fun. I'm a Bandit due to A) Seeing someone with better stuff coming my way, and shooting. Or Getting in Gunfights and winning. I've had my fair share of running into Cherno with nothing (Yes, dumb idea, but might as well try to get some gear) and being shot in the back by someone with a Fal or Bizon. , or AS50 from factory roof, but i dont go spewing onto the forums about it, i re-spawn and go on my way (after a few moments of rage). Not all bandits are NW-AF Camping, Elektro Sniper hill, Cherno factory roof Bandits, we are in the wilderness we see you, you're gonna go down if you're a threat. And hey, we make this game fun.

Edited by ~Ghost~

DayZ isn't CareBear land

I had a long post about how carebears at least play a more difficult DayZ, but that would be above your intellect.

The carebears, in DayZ, are the hardcore ones.

• Like 1

I play as "friendly" as possible. I've yet to gank anyone but have had my share of it. In fact I don't really bother to kill Zeds if I can help it. I think in a real world situation hopefully people would actual help each other out instead of pulling the trigger but of course this is just a game so I accept anything goes and there are bandits and those who play this like its Modern Warfare and anything that moves must die.

I have to say the funnest thing that happen to me, I'm inside the grocery store, with a broken leg, looting for food when I hear a few gun shots from down the street and I freeze in place waiting. Then I hear a voice of someone asking me "Hey you in there. Are you friendly? Come on tell me, friendly?" and I'm like "Yes sir I'm friendly."

Then more gun fire outside and Zeds are running around, more gun fire and then its quite. I'm still waiting there when this guy runs up and shoots me dead through the windows.

Later I realized that the only reason my life lasted as long as it did was this guy somehow attracted a ton of Zeds and was trying to kill them off before he could get to me.

So thank you poor little Zombies...you are now my friends. I'm just sadden you didn't prevail in draining that guys blood before he got to me. :D

• Like 1

The principle i work on is if they do not respond or act shifty after speaking over the mic to them i waste them. No point me running for hours, looting for hours to be wasted by someone who isnt friendly. Kill or be killed?...

Well, I tried to be hero. And you know what? People convinced me not to.

It's not like I enjoy killing others. When I made my first attempt to DayZ, I decided "I will become a hero!". First spawn, and I was dead after 5 mins - shot by sniper.

Still, I wanted to be hero. But later, again and again, game convinced me not to. 90% of moments I trusted someone it turned out that he wasn't friendly at all.

This game doesn't have one good way for playing. It's your choice. You can choose path of being Hero - then you have to play carefully, as most of player will shoot you on sight, you can try to help them and protect them, but again - no one will ever guarantee you that the man you just helped won't reward you with bullet in your head. Being hero isn't really rewarding - you have to share, so you lose your eq, and all you get is satisfaction for helping.

On the other hand, being bandit is a bit easier. You only have to care about you(and friends). You can kill anyone you want. And you can have their loot. It's easier to kill someone and take his loot than go all the way across the map and pick up some gear. Bandit is easier.

And I became a bandit. Simply because it's easier, it pays off, it's easy way for me, and I start to enjoy it. Today I got my bandit skin, when I first said a guy I found somewhere that I'm friendly, he helped me kill zombies, and than I killed him and his friend. Cruel. I even felt sorry for them. But that's how DayZ works, and without this, the game would suck. We're also needed. :)

PS. Selfish =/= immature. You choose your own path, and neither of them makes you stupid/immature/childish.

The butterfly effect is strong with this one. You likely allowed several people to die by sparing the life of an afk fully geared sniper in the woods outside of an airfield.

If someone's at the treeline outside of a military zone, with a sniper rifle, they're a bandit. That's just how it is.

So you ended up with a choice between chaotic good and neutral evil. You chose neutral evil.

I disagree. You are assuming that the person was a bandit. There were no other dead survivors in the vicinity. Besides, killing someone who is helpless would truly be evil in my opinion. Not my style at all, never will be. Hopefully the stand alone game will reward players who choose humanity first.

I'm a Bandit, so what?

Yes, there are people that shoot others who have no gear on the shore from 800meters away. And think they have skill, but I'm sick of everyone interpreting Bandits to be people who just kill un-armed people for fun. I'm a Bandit due to A) Seeing someone with better stuff coming my way, and shooting. Or Getting in Gunfights and winning. I've had my fair share of running into Cherno with nothing (Yes, dumb idea, but might as well try to get some gear) and being shot in the back by someone with a Fal or Bizon. , or AS50 from factory roof, but i dont go spewing onto the forums about it, i re-spawn and go on my way (after a few moments of rage). Not all bandits are NW-AF Camping, Elektro Sniper hill, Cherno factory roof Bandits, we are in the wilderness we see you, you're gonna go down if you're a threat. And hey, we make this game fun.

Fun is a matter of opinion. I maintain that there should be checks and balances in place to both reward helpful and punish undo wanton behavior. Maybe if a better barter system were in place there would be less need for so much killing of each other. The ZOMBIES are the real enemy!

Nonsense.

This game is trying to be exactly not what you are playing, the whole point of this game is that you have the choice to interact with people.

While I do not condemn people choosing to be bandits, this kind of approach, the "trust your irl friends only" is plain stupid, go play something else, this is the apocalypse, you're friends are supposed to be dead,or at least lost.

you're looking for a good shooter? arma 2 has plenty to offer, and the mods for this kind of play style are abundant, there is no shame in liking different styles.

Somehow I hope that standalone would ban using anykind of communication other than the game's, it just destroys the atmosphere.

I do agree with the whole DayZ is based on a real life event, but at the end of the day it is not like getting 50 kills in a video game resembles what you would do in real life, if it did - every child in the US would become serial killers irl thinking life is call of duty..To put it in my perspective, you're taking it too far. Just chill out.

OP don't be suprised if your head is blown off by the same guy you "spared". This is a game.

:|

I once found a dude passed out in the streets in elektro, I dragged him in the office and morphined him, he woke up, I say goodbye, 30 secs later I hear a bullet go past my head, I run and circle around him/building then wasted a mag in his chest.

You choose the weak minded path, you choose to kill like animals? suffer solitude and misery ^_^

There is no real incentive for being a full time bandit.

All you get is a skin, and it doesn't have any special perks or whatnot like the hero skin (you run faster, you are bullet proof from certain calibers of rounds, etc.)

Remember, just calling out "friendly" will get you killed.

Control the situation. Have a defensible position and allow them to make the choice to be friendly or die. Never take your eyes off them and make them realize that if they make any aggressive movements, you will not hesitate. If they choose to be hostile, make sure they die and you live. Use your primary to cover them if it's better-suited than your secondary; it usually is. You need to kill them fast if they're trying to kill you.

Just tonight I was gearing up at a high-profile military loot spawn (AK74 is a better defensive weapon than Winchester and a 7-mag loadout lasts forever if you aren't a bandit) and took a look outside for zeds. I saw a guy proned rolling toward the entrance. I took a position covering both entrances and told him quickly that he was allowed to enter, that I was friendly, but that if he came in with his gun pointed at me, I would kill him. He came in, we chatted and he bailed. No problems because I had the upper hand.

I've been practicing with all main weapons so I can be better trained in combat situations. Heros, or in my case survivors, are no good dead. There's a big difference between "friendly" and "sheep." Be a wolf in sheep's clothing.

I've been creating new profiles with new names specifically to use one of the names for misdeeds of banditry on Lingor. I figured that I might as well try it as I've made friends with one of the admins and his buddies who are typically bandits. It's so easy to gear up on Lingor that I figured killing people wouldn't be all that hard.

I can't do it.

I can't fire on someone without them first initiating force. Try as I might, I just can't. Every time I have the shot lined up, I cannot pull the trigger; it's not fair and it's just not right to me.