outlawbigpappa

Pro Tips! Post Pro Tips Here!

Heheh I think The Weapon meant don't get too attached to your "gear" but, thinking about it, he's right about your rear too. You'll definitely lose both.

Onaturi is right. Big hills outside of towns and cities are full of snipers. Avoid them if possible or you will be sniped.

It's true about stairs, and walls and roof tops and bushes - all are a bit glitchy and can kill you. Tread carefully.

I only found a dead player with a backpack once. I used the scroll button on my mouse to take his alice pack but I don't know if that's the right way or the risky way. Anyone know?

• Like 1

There is a way into the NW airfield where u can infiltrate without spawning a single zombie ;)

• Like 1

Double tapping the W key makes your character sprint immediately, from either crouching position or when standing upright. Doesn't work when prone though afaik.

If you are crouch running it is possible to go straight into sprint without that half second where u stand still, simply start crouch running to the left or right then double tap the forward :)

Never play alone. Avoid the huge citys. you will get important equipment in every smaler town with supermarkets. If you find a vehicle on a huge populated server have fun with it but be sure it´ll be gone by tomorrow.

Don't expect to live too long. Any moment could be your last.

• Like 2

Heheh I think The Weapon meant don't get too attached to your "gear" but, thinking about it, he's right about your rear too. You'll definitely lose both.

Onaturi is right. Big hills outside of towns and cities are full of snipers. Avoid them if possible or you will be sniped.

It's true about stairs, and walls and roof tops and bushes - all are a bit glitchy and can kill you. Tread carefully.

I only found a dead player with a backpack once. I used the scroll button on my mouse to take his alice pack but I don't know if that's the right way or the risky way. Anyone know?

screenshotted someone said i am right!!

Protip.

* Sneaking is effective versus zombies, Against snipers look at those smart zombies, zigzag running all the way.

* if you attack a player group make sure you do a suprise attack and take cover. Be a ninja

If you're unlucky to find a hatchet but no gun for a little while, make sure to reload your hatchet before use. This will actually allow you to use it as a (rather deadly, but melee) weapon. :)

I believe you have to scroll the mouse wheel near the dead player and then choose "take xxx backpack" or somesuch. You will want to take off your own backpack before attempting to take on someone elses.

Sometimes you can only access the backpack via "Gear" menu, after getting rid of your own.

If there is something on the ground that you really want, but can not pick it up, there are probably items underneath it. Loot them first, trash them somewhere, and your desired loot is open again.

Some "workarounds" for known bugs:

1) Before you change into camo clothing or a ghillie suit, drop your backpack. Do not do this in a wood, as your pack will often evaporare. Mostly it is not gone though, the game places it AT THE NEAREST POINT OUTSIDE the wood! so search the lawns if it happens. To safely put down a backpack: be 2 m away from any building or whatever object in the grass, drop an object to make aloot pile (I use painkillers, they are a large white box, easily locatable to pick up later), then drop the backpack on there. get in your suit and put it back on, enjoy!

Sometimes you will find backpacks in town but you are not able to select them to pick up! The reason: You need to remove ALL loot items lying underneath it! THEN you can pick up the backpack. Backpack sizes are: coyote PATROLpack: 8 slots, czech backpack: 16 slots, alice pack: 20 slots; coyote BACKpack: 24 slots.

2) Do NEVER put a weapon in a backpack that is too full, as it despawns!! You need 10 free slots for a main weapon, 5 for a handgun. Same is true for ammo clips etc; if put into a backpack whgich is full, objects get lost!

3) do not enter buildings prone, or at least do not turn around too much in these buildins or doorways, this should prevent bone breakings.

4) If your legs are broken and you need to go up a stair in a barn (or any broad stairway...), lie down sideways in front of it and strafe up. 90% gets you up without any more bonebreaking...wait, you already got that...soooo...

5) If you find a weapon that is definitely not in the game (a hacked gun, like AS50 with htermal or G36 rifle), do not log out with htis weapon in your inventory, do not kill anyone with it. just drop the damn thing in a bush or hide the body it was on after looting it.

Other stuff:

6) You can figure out "north" using only a watch, which is easier to find in supermarkets in comparison to a compass. Look up the tutorial in youtube. Works in real life, too!

6.1) Clouds in Chernarus only travel from west to east.

7) To get military grade weapons, try the station houses in Elektro or Cherno. In Cherno, do not forget to check the town hall building, and there are two hospitals, plus medical tents. just north of the medical tents there are 2 military tents. The northwestern hospital in Cherno has three or four large red brick houses around it, too. They are all enterable and have sick loot the the brim!! And be aware of bandits...Sacriel42 did a nice beginner's video to loot Elektro on youtube.

Edited by Traveler
  • Like 2

Never share a tent with a dude who's last ten meals were baked beans.

Zombie growls, vehicles and nearby gunshots are easier to hear if you're not blasting skrillex tunes.

Never drive an ATV over a bridge or train tracks (or on docks, or on dam walls). Go around the bridges and always use the rail crossings. Avoid the other two completely.

Use the single player ArmAII mission editor to learn to fly (and land) the helicopter BEFORE you find one in DayZ.

Serpentine.

Wait one hill back from cherno or elektro and wait for the lolsnipers to spawn in. These little walking lootpiles are your one stop shop for GPS, NVGs, Rangefinders and mil spec weapons, and 90% of the time they're too stupid to look over their own shoulder.

Edited by datguy
  • Like 4

Just because you found a rare and cool new weapon doesnt mean you have to pick it up, it would actually be smarter to leave it.

Ever thought of that the ammo is rare too?

Sod's law dictates that as soon as you get survival gear (Canteen, hatchet, box of matches, and a hunting knife), you will lose said gear quite quickly to zeds or another player.

Bunch of infected hanging around somewhere you want to go?..biff a smoke grenade for them to party with elsewhere.

yeah... im pro all right :|

• Like 1

Bind sprint to your spacebar. That way you don't have to stop running to press WW and sprint.

Also, if you see two hatchets and don't have a weapon pick up the first hatchet, remove it from toolbelt to make it your weapon, and then pick up the second hatchet.

This will make it so you have a weapon hatchet and a tool hatchet. Then you can quickly drop your weapon hatchet for a real gun (when you find one) and still have a tool hatchet!

• Like 6

Complete arma2 bootcamp before playing dayz. Not all of it is relevant to dayz but the parts that are will make you better. Remember some players have 3 years experience on you. The arma2 players are the biggest threat in the game you might as well familiarize yourself with some of what they know.

• Like 2

If your being chased by zeds and theres pinetrees (looks like a christmass tree) with a low branches run into the pine tree to conceal yourself and stay still the zombies will de-aggro its worked everytime for me

• Like 1

Just a couple tips that have kept me alive and reluctant to throw my computer out of the window for a long time, until some hacker shows up...:

1. Barrel rolls (pressing Q or E while prone) make absolutely no noise, and so does vaulting. This has helped me tremendously in being stealthy whilst trying to sneak up behind some highly-geared/skilled sniper that's perched up on a tower or hidden in the tree line. I once rolled up behind some bandit that was killing newbies at Elektro with his AS50 and I only had a hatchet; we ended up killing each other but you should've heard the sniper's scream over the microphone after the first slash :P. Plus, it makes you feel like a ninja after getting a murder :)

2. No matter how visible you are, as long as you're not in the zombie's complete line of sight he will not get aggro. However, zeds can still hear you, so you need to monitor the amount of sound you make at all times.

3. ALWAYS assume that the person you just murdered/saw has companions that are within the proximity. I have made the mistake of thinking that my victim was playing alone numerous times, resulting in a shocking and devastating death :(. Patience is virtue; do not be so eager to collect your spoils of war until you're 100% sure that your victim is dead and there's no one else in the area that may be affiliated with him.

4. If you're playing with a friend or numerous friends (highly recommended) then it's imperative that at least one of you should stand watch whilst your teammates loot the area. This might prolong the looting time as you and your friends might decide to switch roles in case the overwatch also wants a share of the loot, but it's better to be safe than sorry.

5. Always drop a pointless item first before dropping a rare item on top of it; there are places in Chernarus where dropped items are said to never return....

6. If you continue to put massive items in an already-full backpack/inventory, shit's gonna disappear.

• Like 2

If you are running the 1.7.2.5 patch, do not save items in tents. They will disappear after every server reset. I recently lost a few goodies such as M14, M4A1 CCO, AKM, M24 + a lot of mags and other supplies.

Use the single player ArmAII mission editor to learn to fly (and land) the helicopter BEFORE you find one in DayZ.

Complete arma2 bootcamp before playing dayz. Not all of it is relevant to dayz but the parts that are will make you better. Remember some players have 3 years experience on you. The arma2 players are the biggest threat in the game you might as well familiarize yourself with some of what they know.

To expand on this: you don't have to do the whole bootcamp, pick the missions that are more likely to help in DayZ. Focus on learning the ins and outs of movement and inventory. Spend time in the shooting range. Do it more than once, till you feel comfortable handling the weapons. Even if you're experienced in FPS games, each game and each gun handles differently. Adjust your sensitivity and "Smoothing" to match your preference. Again, go with what feels good to you. Practice flying and driving in the bootcamp. Vehicles are fairly rare in DayZ. They're plentiful in the bootcamp. Throw some 'nades. Throwing in DayZ takes practice. A well-thrown can will distract zombies. Smoke grenades are excellent for buying time in high zombie count areas. A frag grenade can do a lot of damage. A well placed 'nade will do a number on a squad who is bunched too closely together.

If you're in the edge of the tree line and someone takes a shot at you, pretend you're on fire. Stop, drop (prone), and roll. Randomly go left and right to make yourself a less predictable target. If you can roll to a conifer (pine) tree, you can roll under the low branches. You're less visible here. Get up and run in the oposite direction, but PLEASE zig and zag. Serpentine running left and right and don't stop moving. Don't do the same pattern. Vary your movement. Its a good idea to get use to doing this anyway, especially in open fields. You never know who is watching.

If you're on a lower populated server, hit the "P" key now and then and see just how many people are on there with you. You may be the only one. You may have 10 new server mates. Its good to know how many people are out there. You'll have an idea of how likely you are to run into anybody. Don't let your guard down though. I've run into the other guy a few times when we were the only two left on the servers.

Cooked Meat gives you more blood than beans. Beans are 200. Cooked meat gives you 800. If you can't get transfusions, keeping a couple steaks in your pack comes in handy. Also, keep your thirst in mind. Even if you have a water bottle (canteen), it might be a good idea to keep one soda with you. You might not get a chance to refill that bottle for a while. Hunger and thirst eventually make you lose blood, so you can't totally ignore them unless you don't plan on living long anyway.

*edit: Forgot to mention: Not everybody knows that some guns in-game can share ammo. If you're not sure which ones, you can search the usual online sources.

Edited by GiggityGump
  • Like 2

Pressing "W" while doing a barrel roll will make you finish it much faster.

Flares and flashlights blind NVG users, but don't count on blinding all those snipers above electro with them.

The sound of thunder comes a good two seconds after the lightning, much like in real life. It may help conceal a step or two if you're playing hide and seek inside cities.

Edited by Stworca
  • Like 1