Cheboygan

Sniping in DayZ. The built in hack & how it should change for the better/harder

I personally think that th more realism re: real firearms that can be introduced, the better. Especially when it comes to sniper rifles.

Good information.

• Like 6

Long as hell but I read it. :)

I love ARMA too and I wish they would use the ACE system if they are going to include military sniper rifles. I actually would prefer if they kept it to hunting rifles but if they insist than this is what it should be.

• Like 3

As you realized yourself, your post was pretty lengthy. However I did read it all, and I wouldn't mind different levels of realism on different servers, along the lines you describe.

I agree with everything you said, just have to make sure people have the option to use more realistic mechanics or not, as you said, because some people don't want to have to learn the works just to snipe a guy. Sniper elite is a good comparison on how I think sniping should be.

Really like youre post Cheboygan.

I hope so too ther will be something like ACE included.

Its way to easy to shoot at loong distance.

And btw when ther will be wind/weather and all,Rocket can increase the Viewdistance back to max. Cause Cherna is so damn bueautiful :D

doing math to be a good sniper? sounds like a good way to get kids to do their homework...

beans for you, although i wouldnt agree that some equip should be more often, i have never seen a real rangefinder in a private household (or anywhere else)...

doing math to be a good sniper? sounds like a good way to get kids to do their homework...

beans for you, although i wouldnt agree that some equip should be more often, i have never seen a real rangefinder in a private household (or anywhere else)...

Many Bow and Rifle hunters use rangefinders. They can range anywhere from $150-$3000+. My Leupold RX-750 is a laser range finder that provides "ballistic range" as opposed to straight line range to a target up to 750 yards. I bought mine brand new from Cabela's for $230. With the abundance of deer stands you would expect to find civilian range finders all over the place. Then again you would expect to find more hunting rifles, bows, crossbows, shotguns etc in those deerstands and not M4s, M16s, AKs.

But why more range finders?They don't fit the theme and they make sniping too easy so I see no reason to even keep them.And I posted before and I'll post again...there should be a weapon skill that goes up as you get kills.I mean I read that a rifle is rated say at 2MOA but most people will hit at 4 to 7MOA.So whats wrong with inducing some inaccuracy to Dayz that you can level up and get better MOA over time??

Could be quite a few skills that could be leveled over time like a survival skill that after a certain time you then get granted the white blurs on edges of screen.Its like being in the woods for so long you learn to notice movement in the edges of your view better.Another one would be swimming speed and could come into effect of their are some maps with large rivers etc.And of course stamina could get skilled if ever added.Sorry went off topic.

I agree with everything you said, just have to make sure people have the option to use more realistic mechanics or not, as you said, because some people don't want to have to learn the works just to snipe a guy. Sniper elite is a good comparison on how I think sniping should be.

I think it could be a good thing, ther eis a reason that snipers are seen as being "one notch" over the regular grunt. THey can do things that the grunt cannot do.

• Like 1

But why more range finders?They don't fit the theme and they make sniping too easy so I see no reason to even keep them.And I posted before and I'll post again...there should be a weapon skill that goes up as you get kills.I mean I read that a rifle is rated say at 2MOA but most people will hit at 4 to 7MOA.So whats wrong with inducing some inaccuracy to Dayz that you can level up and get better MOA over time??

Could be quite a few skills that could be leveled over time like a survival skill that after a certain time you then get granted the white blurs on edges of screen.Its like being in the woods for so long you learn to notice movement in the edges of your view better.Another one would be swimming speed and could come into effect of their are some maps with large rivers etc.And of course stamina could get skilled if ever added.Sorry went off topic.

Rangefinders don't make hitting a target at 700yards eazymode IRL,

In the current game, in its current state, with only ONE set of rangefinders, then yes more rangefinders is stupid. If the system for "sniping" was changed to a more realistic style than more rangefinders wouldn't do much good to most people. They would know the distance to the target and thats it. They wouldn't be able to adjust for anything but distance....so no more "realistic" rangefinders wouldn't make it sniper ezmode if sniping changed in Dayz.

Wholeheartedly agree with this suggestion. Only the ones with the patience and skill to learn the weapon system should be the ones able to effectively use it. It would not only stop a lot of the "I just died and have no idea why" but add another skill set for players to have. Just like now there's usually one guy in a group who always pilots the chopper, I'd love to see a "designated marksmen/sniper" type player fill a role in a group.

I also see something like this making the "assault rifle" more valuable than it is now. Almost everybody drops their full auto for something with a long range scope. Most firefights under 200 meters look more like an American Revolution battle, than a modern day shootout.

I really dig this. There is a lot of stuff in this game running on autopilot and it can be frustrating to newer players to find themselves prey to so many people who lack any actual skill.

Rocket said he wanted real-world abilities to apply to the game. The more realism the better, in every mechanic. Right now it's a kleptomaniac/OCD simulator with guns.

Great post, "authenticity" for the win

I would venture to say that there aren't any "match" grade rifles in the game though, and all the military rifles are firing standard ball ammo so MOA at .25 would be to low IMO. I think the most accurate rifles would probably be the hunting rifles my 306 does >.25 out of a bench at 100 yards with a couple of different rounds and its not a match rifle.

Read maybe just over a half of your post and being only 15 understood fairly little when you started detailing ballistics and how they work but all i can say is: You clearly put alot of effort and thought into that and beans are deserved.

• Like 1

Brilliant post, amazing list of useful information both in game mechanics and real life. I am 100% all for adding all the improvements to the sniping and shooting mechanics altogether. This would give me a great learning curve to master and perfect the sniping from long range, it would also filter out those who clearly do not care for the fine art of shooting and stick to close combat.

Thank you for the great post, I've learned something by reading it also.

i totally agree, i had an AS50 in cherno today and it was so easy to kill that it was just boring. I went in expecting the thrill of killing at close to med range, but didn't get it. I think that a long range sniper kill should be a difficult achievement, just like sneaking up on someone and gunning them down without losing your own head is.

I agree with your post, especially with the wind effecting the shot placement.

Hell, wind comes into play on ballstics after 100 metres; with 5.56x45mm anyway. At 400 metres you have to aim a full body left or right (Depending on wind direction) from the target you're hitting and that's if it's stationary.

Too many times has my poor little medic been hit by some round from miles away and put me into -25,000 blood.

What's even worse is that there is zero bullet drop on the Lee Enfield.

As with the training with sniper rifles, I think it could be 'easily' implimented as in being that when you first begin to use a weapon, any weapon (You could put them into categories in correlation to the round they fire) you shake as though you're in pain. The more zombies you kill or the more you use it, the less you shake. Indicating that you know the correct marksmanship principles for that selected weapon; could also seen as a balancing tool in prevention of random killing.

But in the standalone to be released game, I know this might sound 'cheesey', I would love to see classes implemented with little dynamic bonuses (Like those found in Killing floor, just not exactly like them), just like a medic would have faster bandaging, morphining etc...etc... times.

Really enjoyed reading your post Cheboygan, ballistic science has always been a favourite of mine from when I was back in the forces.

I just suppose that what we can experience is limited by Arma 2 itself, some major re-haul to the ballistics system would most probably come in the stand alone game.

• Like 1

I agree it's too easy to snipe in this game.

I only had to give my mate a thirty second tutorial on how to range and adjust his sights and he's being getting so many long shots of late.

I'd love to be able to call on my real world knowledge and apply it in game to my advantage over others just like any survivor would.

• Like 1

Yeah, the sniping mechanic needs to be sorted out. Not only is shooting long distance too easy but you can run around quick scoping and unscoping as if it was CoD, lol. Shouldn't be possible in this game...

• Like 1

Such a good read!!

I agree 10000000% with this, I used to be in the army using the SA80 at 100-500m on the range and its true about everything you said! I dont claim to know anything about the maths behind it or anything like that, but when you got a 10mph wind blowing across the range you know you cant just fire straight!!

Thank you for this! :D

AJ

Adding realistic sniping would change the dynamic of the game entirely. They'd be able to do away with the draw distance 'fog' that limits visibility. And a sniper would actually be a valuable asset then. Well, one who knew their shit would be.

I think all people who snipe in the game should have to do this. Why? Because then the 'easy mode' hilltop snipers would be completely ineffective. 'y my bullets no hit?! I QUIT!!!!!1111!!!!!1!1!!!'

And that would only ever be a good thing.

Are you serious bro? You pulled off a 700 metre headshot while you were sprinting!?

I will always support any suggestion that simulates reality. To that extent, I'd love to see weapon maintenance become a crucial aspect of DayZ. It could use the same animation as setting up a fence I guess, but when right clicking the gun, there are two options; clean & deep clean. Obviously, deep clean should take longer. Lubricants would be be added to the loot too, but would have limited uses.

This again, would affect how well snipers can place their shots, but perhaps specialized ammo & lubricants could also be added to the loot table, providing a realistic (but very slight) buff to snipers.

Edit: I'd love to see poorly maintained guns jam up :P

Edited by Haplo

Are you serious bro? You pulled off a 700 metre headshot while you were sprinting!?

I think he meant "at" someone who's sprinting, not while sprinting himself.

Really great post. Rocket mentioned something recently about adding weapon maintenance/degradation. I hope they make sniper ballistics more realistic as well. Not just for the realism, it would make the gameplay a lot more fun as well.