Mucwa

[Guide] Setting up an Xbox 360 Controller for DayZ

Is there a way to stop xpadder from emulating the m/kb when outside of a game? I love Steam Big Picture mode and would like to play DayZ with a controller on my TV, but xpadder screws up big picture mode navigation. If xpadder would activate profiles based on what has focus, oh that'd be perfect.

Mucwa,

thank you for your post. I got xpadder, and the Microsoft 260 PC controller. After loading xppadder and your dowload for controls i went into arma 2 to practice them, they worked great! Except:

When i press A with the gun out, it fires.. Why?

THE MAIN ISSUE THOUGH,

when i load in Dayz, all the controls are wrong! the sticks work fine, and the zoom, BUT the right lean button goes to map, the wal/run toggle goes to crouch, i cant select gear and I CANNOT FIGURE OUT WHY! can you help me or team viewer with me to help me out?! i am so happy i can finally not be hunched over on KEY&M and instead play comfortably!

I'd like to see things from your point of view, but I can't seem to get my head that far up my ass.

I'm busy now. Can I ignore you some other time?

I lol'd. Haven't seen anything this pathetic in a long time.

I might try this, Normally use M&K but with this I can sit back and chill ^^

There is one thing that I've never understood and I will never understand. What is the reason to use a console gamepad for a shooter when you have a working mouse on your desk?

listen to all the lil pc maggot tweens ranting about there awesome mice. lol, yea, you love that lil mousey that lets you flick your wrist with super unrealistic precision, dont ya... you lil scrub. real men use gamepads!

• Like 1

listen to all the lil pc maggot tweens ranting about there awesome mice. lol, yea, you love that lil mousey that lets you flick your wrist with super unrealistic precision, dont ya... you lil scrub. real men use gamepads!

Well that's just wrong. You are just as bad for hating as they are ;)

What I don't get is why anyone cares. I use a g9x for most games, especially FPS, but I have a wireless Xbox pad sitting there for games like Driver: SF, Sonic the Hedgehog and beat em up's. Each to their own at the end of the day, I certainly wouldn't use the pad on ARMA II myself and I certainly wouldn't use my keyboard and mouse to play Street Fighter, however I'm sure this guide will come in handy for those who like to play from their sofas, and especially those who want to show the game off to their friends and let them have a go. There is no easy way to throw a friend in DayZ if he/she comes from a console only environment (believe me, I've tried) and with this there is.

Edited by Mr_Information

im lookin to setup a controller to see how it feels in this game. i know how to use motioninjoy, pinnacle, and xpadder.

what im wondering is if they game will recognize the raw analog input from the sticks, but also allow me to only change the button configs with xpadder... instead of having to disable gamepad support in the game, and make xpadder emulate mouse movement. ive found in pc games that mouse emulation usually sucks. thanks.

ive tried to play dayz/arma 2 with a keyboard/mouse, but besides the fact that the xbox cont. has running on the left stick by default and i cant assign the toggle to a button i still like the controller more even if im not able to be as precise with it

After playing with controllers since 1992 I have committed myself to learn to use mouse and keyboard. I have tried so hard to get it to work ingame and with xpadder, but it didn't work for me. I must say it is still very hard for me to use M/K after 20 years of mental programming.. but I hope to get to the same level as I was. Thanks for the post though

What's with the war between consoles? I have an Xbox 360, PS3, Wii (unfortunately) and a gaming PC. My favorite by far is the Xbox 360 but the gaming PC comes in with a close second. I love controllers, it feels better and more natural therefore more comfortable. I've been a console gamer pretty much my entire life and I absolutely HATE keyboards with a burning passion. I would murder EVERY single last keyboard if given the chance. Another reason for preferring the Xbox 360 over the rest is online communication for its simplicity but great quality. I love my little, white Xbox 360 headpiece as it's sensitive enough to pick up speech but leaves a lot of unwanted background noise out. I don't have to worry about holding some stupid key in order to chat.

At first, I was hesitant on purchasing ARMA 2 CO as I knew it'd be K/M dominate but I was surprised by how much I was able to do with a wireless Xbox 360 controller. I've since gotten used to using K/M for DayZ but I will flick on the controller for running long distances, driving or flying. I still have that burning hatred for keyboards but I deal with it b/c I love playing DayZ.

Someone awhile ago in this thread made a comment about controller users are ONLY casual players or straight up noobs. Despite his acceptance of people using controllers, I would like to formally declare that person as a complete moron but I say that with all the respect in the world. Sure, I do enjoy being able to sit back and game with a controller but it can easily be used competitively. Look at it like this too, why would you WANT that advantage of a K/M and WHY are you afraid of the claimed major disadvantage of a controller? A reason I dislike OP weapons in the hands of should be "experienced" players. Take a disadvantage and beat other people with it, it hurts more. It'd be like some hardcore gamer being beat by some chick, it BURNS! There's no pride or honor in gaming these days, everyone is looking for the quickest, easiest and best advantage possible. Actually, that's kinda true for all of society. Sorry for the rant and what not. =P

C4L "Controller 4 Life"

I don't understand why all of you had to turn these simple instructions for Xbox controller users in to a big argument. Don't be mad because you :emptycan: 't afford an Xbox, his instructions proved useful to me, so I'm happy. All you people getting angry over this are having a bad time, I'm sure.

Edited by CannedPakes
  • Like 1

After playing with controllers since 1992 I have committed myself to learn to use mouse and keyboard. I have tried so hard to get it to work ingame and with xpadder, but it didn't work for me. I must say it is still very hard for me to use M/K after 20 years of mental programming.. but I hope to get to the same level as I was. Thanks for the post though

You don't need xpadder. Just put in your Xbox controller, download the latest drivers, and adjust the settings on the menu.

I don't understand why all of you had to turn these simple instructions for Xbox controller users in to a big argument. Don't be mad because you :emptycan: 't afford an Xbox, He instructions proved useful to me, so I'm happy. All you people getting angry over this are having a bad time, I'm sure.

My graphics card's worth more than an Xbox, mate...

Do people not think before they type any more?

• Like 1

You don't need xpadder. Just put in your Xbox controller, download the latest drivers, and adjust the settings on the menu.

Nope. The possibilities with ingame settings in ARMA are crap. You can´t invert the sticks - its simply not playable without that option.

Yay, and that´s the reason you don´t afford an Xbox, I guess :P

Why would you want to invert the joysticks on a controller?

So you're graphics card cost over $400-$500? If so, what's the purpose of spending over that much for a single piece of hardware? The cost of hardware for my PC was $1,000 total. I'll never understand why some choose to drop grand after grand building a PC purely to run the biggest, most power hogging video games with the baddest graphical settings. Money spent doesn't make a hardcore gamer.

• Like 1

So you're graphics card cost over $400-$500? If so, what's the purpose of spending over that much for a single piece of hardware? The cost of hardware for my PC was $1,000 total. I'll never understand why some choose to drop grand after grand building a PC purely to run the biggest, most power hogging video games with the baddest graphical settings. Money spent doesn't make a hardcore gamer.

Yup, RRP's about £300 these days, I think.

You're right, spending money doesn't make a 'hardcore gamer'. A few years of playing competitive FPS must count for something though, hur dur

Hey! I can't seem to get this working in Day Z... It works fine outside the game, but when I go in to Day Z it doesn't work. I've disabled the controller schemes in the options menu and started as admin, but it still wont work... Any help would be greatly appreciated!

How does one judge "competitiveness" in video games? I sure different people will have different guidelines and such. Which video games are included in determining being "hardcore"?

I'd like to admit that I've played competitively in CoD but I've never played the top levels of tournaments or MLG. I played a single season on Gamebattles a few years back. I was a "strategist" (if you will) for clans and teams back on CoD 4 MW, where I'd be "temporarily recruited" to test and attempt to break their strategies as a single person or with a partner. Does someone have to be playing in tournaments or leagues to be considered "hardcore'? I play intensely when it comes to piloting jets in BF3. I seriously dislike players whoring advantages and I play to win but I play fair, does that make someone "hardcore"? All of this is intended to show that a person's preferred platform doesn't depict their style of play. Neither does someone's Skill or talent.

Edited by TruYadoo
  • Like 1

Why would you want to invert the joysticks on a controller?

Cause I play with inverted look for...hmmm...as long as i play shooters on consoles with controlers (maybe 15 Years...don´t really know). It feels simply more "natural" with inverted Y-Axis. It´s not playable without that - FOR ME!

I must say, I use Xpadder only for driving vehicles because aiming with Mouse is much more easier. But driving a vehicle with Mouse/Keyboard is really pain in the arse! My Xpadder setup is optimized for driving. The only thing that´s bad is, that the triggers and sticks don´t work analogous, but digital. But I can live with that.

Hey! I can't seem to get this working in Day Z... It works fine outside the game, but when I go in to Day Z it doesn't work. I've disabled the controller schemes in the options menu and started as admin, but it still wont work... Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Have the same Problem sometimes. Start DayZ over Steam (or tell DayZ Commander to do so) and start Xpadder as admin. Sometimes even that doesn´t work. I close Xpadder than and start it again and save the layout one more time - it always worked then.

I must say, I use Xpadder only for driving vehicles because aiming with Mouse is much more easier. But driving a vehicle with Mouse/Keyboard is really pain in the arse! My Xpadder setup is optimized for driving. The only thing that´s bad is, that the triggers and sticks don´t work analogous, but digital. But I can live with that.

Hi Amano

You should be able to use your triggers and sticks as analogue, not digital. I certainly do with ArmA.

Firstly, in Xpadder, create a New blank Profile so that it doesn't send buttons whilst you test the pad, then click on the Pad icon to the left of the text box with the spanner and click Properties. This will show the DirectInput values and you'll be able to see by moving the sticks, pulling the triggers if it's sending constantly changing values between -32767 and +32767 for the sticks and 0-65536 (for me it's actually 127-65407) for the triggers.

Then reload your Dayz/ArmA profile in Xpadder but clear any keys you've assigned to the sticks and triggers, so that the sticks show None is highlighted when you click on the spanner.

Then in ArmA/Dayz, go to the Control Settings and assign the stick axis to your move/view commands, so for example using the left stick to Move, you'd have Controller Xbox Stick Y- Axis (which is up on the left stick) assigned to Move Forward, Y+ Axis assigned to Move Back, X- Axis to Strafe Left and X+ Axis to Strafe Right.

Then map the right stick to Aim, which appear as Y and X Rotate Axis.

The Left/Right Triggers are Z+ and Z- Axis respectively and you can map these under Vehicle Controls to Car back and Car Forward, which allows you to control the speed of acceleration/reversing depending on how much you pull the triggers. You can also do the same by mapping one of the sticks to Car Forward/back/left/right which allows you to control the speed by how far you move the stick. For Aircraft Controls, map the left trigger to Brake (Analogue) and the right trigger to Thrust (Analogue) and one stick to Bank Left/Right, Nose Down/Up and the other to Left and Right pedal (or you can use the bumpers for those, either directly or by mapping X and C to them in Xpadder). You can also use up/down on the second stick instead of the triggers for Brake and Thrust if you prefer.

Note that for infantry, whilst mapping Left Trigger (Z+) to Zoom in works, Right Trigger (Z-) mapped to Fire doesn't, so you'd need to map the right trigger to a key/mouse button in Xpadder but as you say, you use the mouse for aiming and only use the pad for driving so that's not an issue for you.

Edited by doveman

Inverted never made sense to me outside aircraft.. Why would someone want to look up with a weapon by pulling down on the stick? But I guess if that's how YOU need to play, as it isn't the consoles' or the controller's fault.

Do people not think before they type any more?

Cool :beans: s. I DON'T CARE. :)

• Like 1