Mucwa

[Guide] Setting up an Xbox 360 Controller for DayZ

Are there people that don't know the "M&Kb is better than a controller" is just a troll? The controller offers smooth/realistic turning + movement whereas the M&Kb is glitchy at best. Not convinced? Attempt to maneuver a vehicle at top speed with a controller. Now try to perform with the same level of control with a mouse.

Thanks a lot for this guide. I've been gaming since Video games first came out. I play it all. I AM a gamer and what tools I use to do that is completely irrelevant. I play to have to fun, and whatever allows me the most enjoyment is what I go with. However now thanks to an illness, I no longer have the dexterity to use a KB for gaming. Meaning if it weren't for controllers I'd miss out on a lot of great PC games.

The OP was being helpful and asked ,very politely I might add, "to refrain from posting things like "K&M is better, go back to xbox noob."

Yet the thread is full of just such posts. :facepalm:

Save it.

If we've seen it once, we've seen it a hundred times.

You're not saying anything new or original and since you've made it quite clear that you're going to post your unwanted opinion, despite being asked not to, you won't mind if we utterly ignore anything you have to say from here on out as the posting of someone too enamored with themselves and their point of view to be of any use to the rest of the us.

Be thankful you have a choice, one day you may not.

How can i give blood to other people with your cinfiguration

Edited by JosueDTP

Im an XBOX gamer who has just converted to PC for Day Z , can I use the USB input on the charge and play kit, or do I need a wireless dongle to use it. I know KB+M is superior but I find it horribly uncomfortable sitting in front of my monitor instead of my leather Lazy boy. And can you use the controller in conjunction with KB/M ? ie: use the controller primarily, but also extra the extra features on the KB at the same time?

• Like 1

I don't see why somebody would limit themselves rather than mastering the art of the mouse and keyboard, but eh, suit yourselves/more gear for me.

Nice tutorial, however this is a PC game... why on earth would you want to play it with a xbox controller with limited buttons?

I play with a controller for the improved level of efficiency I have while in first person point of view. Faster and more accurate shots = more loot for me.

I understand that mouse and keyboard is superior, I personally play with a Logitech G13 and MX mouse. The G13 is amazing in every sense of hte word. I too often play with a 360 controller, not because it's better but because it allows me to sit back on the couch B) . I never understood why people care what other people do if it doesn't affect them.

Thanks for the post very helpful :) I love how the "PC Master Race" gets all in a stir when control pads are ever brought up like many I started with a NES as a child and grew up with controllers in my teens I was swept into the Counter Strike Phase. Then back to PS2 Xbox etc. Who cares how people play as long as you are eating beans and having a great time. PC Gamers can sometimes come across as "Hipsters" not all just a few fan boys.

Lin said it best for myself as a grown man with a high risk job and hectic social life nothing makes me better than kicking back with a headset and controller in hand looting the general store and collecting vehicle parts not all of us play to be L33T HAXZORS. Valve knows whats up pretty much if not all there games are controller supported.

Thanks again for informative Post "SHUT UP AND TAKE MY BEANS"

• Like 1

Thanks a lot for the configs! :)

I recently fixed my GTX295 of my bed-computer so I thought I might try DayZ with controller once while lying in bed! :D

I do agree that Keyboard/Mouse is far superiour over controllers wheni it comes to FPS games, but in DayZ the only real threat are bugs and random BattlEye heli-kicks, so why not use a controller if you're gonna die one way or another, too :3

It's all about the fun, which input device gives you the most :P

Fact: mouse+keyboard sux without desk

I actually play with both the Xbox pad and mouse at the same time (pad with the left hand mouse with the right). I use the pad for pretty much everything except aiming, shooting and scroll wheel functions and when I'm in a vehicle I just pretty much just the pad. This works great for me as I can sit back so it's far more comfortable than being hunched over the keyboard.

As for people raging about the use of pads in PC games..well I think they just secretly know that at some point they have been owned by someone using a pad :D

Thanks for the guid btw I think I'll give it a go. I like the current standard config though for some reason the banking left and right in a flying vehicle is much slower than with the keyboard.

Edited by Timboski

i am fucking useless with a keyboard and mouse and will now venture to buy a wired xbox controller this comming weekend. i also only bought this shitty laptop to play dayz. and i do still sit in my loungeroom (where i would play ther xbox) on my couch with my keyboard and mouse on makeshift (seperate) stands/tables and i think im doing damage to my body playing like this. if i can get away with just using the usb recharge cord? i will be good to go.

this game/mod is awesome and i have barely played the xbox since starting this game (i few of my xbox mates have come over to dayz and we still use the xbox chat to communicate).

Edited by DMC14

I'd like to see things from your point of view, but I can't seem to get my head that far up my ass.

I'm busy now. Can I ignore you some other time?

Oh shiiittt we got jokes here!

Great post man, thanks for this. Don't need to do this but It sounds like a fun alternative! I'll give it a go tonight.

Sticky this mfer

This is perfect for people who play DayZ for the PVE experience. As long as you don't end up in a firefight. I've tried to use the wired X360 controller in its original configuration and it sucked balls for me. Then I tried to use it only for the driving/flying/boating parts, that wasn't so great either.

So eventually I switched back to mouse and keyboard. I will definitely try your solution so I can sit on the couch now and then when I play Dayz. :lol: Nice one!

Im having trouble with this. i do all the steps but when i open xpadder my mouse pointer will automaticly move to the upper left part of the screen. I cannot keep it from going to the upper left part of my screen unless i unplug my controller.

Thanks for the guide :beans:

Ive been using this xpadder config with a wired 360 controller for about a month now and I really like it.

Scroll wheel actions (climb ladders, pick up gear etc) are done via the B button on the controller and a combo of thumbsticks and back button can be used to navigate gear.

Haven't had any problems in firefights but driving vehicles is a bit tricky.

I will admit it takes a little getting used to and may not be technically superior to a KBM, but I play dayz in my lounge room on a sofa 10ft away from my TV so a controller is more convenient and a lot more comfortable.

actually you don't need to use xpadder it's plug n play with arma. Just use the wireless receiver and set your controls up in game.

to all the people who are asking why you would use a controller... M&K for normal control and Controller for driving cars = best setup

Hi just downloaded your layout and some of it is wrong. its A to change weapons and right stick clicked in for crouch, plus i have no idea how to clamber over small fences/walls etc.

Nostromo N52 by belkin ... all the controller a MAN needs... flame on kiddies.

1189682332.jpg

Edited by Rott

Do you prefer controller to keyboard? Tempted to get a pad.

I cant believe that seven pages went on about keyboard and mouse against controller. Wow guys. Look, hardcore pc gamers liekly prefer keyboard and mouse. However, I suffer from back problems and cannot sit at a desk for very long, like 10 minutes, before it begins hurting like hell. So I prefer couch games and its a hassle to get all that stuff set up and getting up from all that cluster f*** to get a drink is annoying. So I would prefer to be able to set my controller down and thats all. Some pc players make fun of consoles players and some console players make fun of pc gamers. Like someone else said on here, we are ALL gamers. All of us. So can't we just stop trying to prove which is the bigger nerd here and just have fun playing games together. I mean come on. We are all entitled to an opinion but there is something called morality and wisdom along with being a good person altogether. Just because you don't prefer a controller doesn't mean you should blast those who use it and just because you like a controller doesn't mean you should bash those who prefer a mouse and keyboard. The people who do this all want there 5 minutes of snickering fame about how they are going to 'BURN' that one kid who uses this or that. Grow up. I know a lot of gamers are in my generation as well and are adults here so please, start acting like it. Seriously. Please.

Thank you for this controller setup, I really appreciate it and I am sure most people (those who have decency anyway) will agree, even if they don't prefer it. Thank you for being a good enough person to make this for those of us who have no idea what they are doing!

• Like 1

Shame on anyone wanting to play DayZ with a 360 controller.

Why come to this topic then?

And if i have a buddy over who isnt pc oriented i would like to do this for them so we can BOTH enjoy the game.