TheMachine

Bandit skin is awesome

No longer do the carebears have any reason to whine about not knowing who's a good/bad guy.

Run or fight, that's your choice.

I love looking like a middle eastern terrorist with my AKM.

• Like 1

In my opinion, it is a very bad idea to force a certain look on to players.. Not only is it less authentic and immersive, but it also significantly decreases the attachment a player can form with the character.

If it is not your player with your personal style and tastes, then it is just a generic avatar which makes you more conscious of the seperation. It doesn't feel like your character at all.. Just a skin you've had forced on to you.

That's why this system is a bad idea in my opinion.

Maybe players don't want to wear a towel on their heads or hide their identity just because they have killed people.. Maybe they were afraid they would be attacked and just see themselves as no different to the survivors, This system will break the immersion for such players who consider themselves as neutral and independent.

Not only that but it could force them to fight players they might not ordinarily have to, as they now have a towel on their head which indicates that it's ok to shoot them on sight, even though that would make them just as guilty as the supposed 'bandit' because they did exactly the same thing as them.. This could increase conflict.. Not that that's necessarily a bad thing.

But you're trying to force people to play a role that they might not want to play, and you are assuming their intentions behind player killing based on a flawed notion that they obviously would want their faces to be hidden.

Players shouldn't have the games ideals forced on to them, i thought that was exactly the trend this game was meant to buck..

Anyway that's my opinion on the matter.. What it actually looks like is a less important issue in my view

• Like 22

This change seems very nice. Finally a way to recognize who to shoot and who to let go. And I dont think the players in the middle ground will get a bandit skin from a murder or two. And humanity also regenerates over time, at least it did so when bandit skins were in. So I dont think anyones ''role'' will be affected much.

• Like 1

In my opinion, it is a very bad idea to force a certain look on to players.. Not only is it less authentic and immersive, but it also significantly decreases the attachment a player can form with the character.

If it is not your player with your personal style and tastes, then it is just a generic avatar which makes you more conscious of the seperation. It doesn't feel like your character at all.. Just a skin you've had forced on to you.

Maybe players don't want to wear a towel on their heads or hide their identity just because they have killed people.. Maybe they were afraid they would be attacked and just see themselves as no different to the survivors, This system will break the immersion for such players who consider themselves as neutral and independent.

Not only that but it could force them to fight players they might not ordinarily have to, as they now have a towel on their head which indicates that it's ok to shoot them on sight, even though that would make them just as guilty as the supposed 'bandit' because they did exactly the same thing as them.. This could increase conflict.. Not that that's necessarily a bad thing.

But you're trying to force people to play a role that they might not want to play, and you are assuming their intentions behind player killing based on a flawed notion that they obviously would want their faces to be hidden.

Players shouldn't have the games ideals forced on to them, i thought that was exactly the trend this game was meant to buck..

Anyway that's my opinion on the matter.. What it actually looks like is a less important issue in my view

Where did you copy and paste that from?

Anyway, I haven't seen "wah, I want to endlessly murder people in Elektro and stab people in the back without them knowing my intentions" written in such a round about way before.

Good show ol' chap.

• Like 14

This change seems very nice. Finally a way to recognize who to shoot and who to let go. And I dont think the players in the middle ground will get a bandit skin from a murder or two. And humanity also regenerates over time, at least it did so when bandit skins were in. So I dont think anyones ''role'' will be affected much.

But what if they want to wear a cool mask, yet they don't like the idea of murdering people?

Where did you copy and paste that from?

Anyway, I haven't seen "wah, I want to endlessly murder people in Elektro and stab people in the back without them knowing my intentions" written in such a round about way before.

Good show ol' chap.

Haha well i've actually never played this game before so i wouldn't know about that..

I copy pasted from a thread in another section which i typed earlier and couldn't be bothered rewording.. And it's all very well trying to psycho-analyse people from their posts and make wild assertions about them, but what about the actual content of the post.. Is it not a valid concern? I think it is..

• Like 1

how do you raise your humanity?

If you are not a bandit, just dont shoot survivors. Humanity will regenerate over time when you're not a bandit. Otherwise you'll need to give other players blood transfusions.

are bandit skins added now?!? I can't log in after the update which sucks! Also, anywhere I can find the latest patch notes?

your thinking is flawed. you need several Murders to get the bandit "towel". so you DID CHOOSE this role all alone.

• Like 10

This is the beat short term solution for the whole banditry issue. A more developed system, hopefully not as binary, will eventually replace it.

Why are we backpedaling? I'm just, I don't know, I'm just curious. Guess when you cry about something enough...

Rocket never said Humanity and skins depending on it weren't the way to go, actually he pretty much said the contrary: That he would get rid of it because it was unfinished.

I don't know about you but "unfinished feature" kinda sounds like he was planning on finishing it later.

• Like 3

Bandit skin is stupid. Why the hell would a bandit dress like something other than a normal person

• Like 3

Haha well i've actually never played this game before so i wouldn't know about that..

I copy pasted from a thread in another section which i typed earlier and couldn't be bothered rewording.. And it's all very well trying to psycho-analyse people from their posts and make wild assertions about them, but what about the actual content of the post.. Is it not a valid concern? I think it is..

Well, considering all avatars at present are generic I don't see why adding a couple more to indicate past actions is a bad thing. Realistic? No but neither are an endless string of emotionless characters with dead eyes. It's built into our survival nature to recognize threats in people we meet. That vibe some get has it's roots in our evolution. There are all sorts of indicators a person gives off to warn a person about their intentions in real life and until video games can simulate this we'll have to make do with cosmetic changes to avatars.

In the future I hope we get a whole series of clothing/skin options based on how we've played in the past. If you're a bandit you unlock a set of skins. If you're a hero you unlock completely different stuff. Enough to model your character to your choosing while still being visually identified. Right now, one skin a piece works well enough for a game this early in it's development.

If you had been playing you'd know pretty much everyone shoots on sight because its impossible to distinguish whose a threat and who isn't. This system makes that choice a little easier. And yes, bandits can no longer hide behind the generic skin and trick people into letting their guard down. Yes, before the banditry and murder got out of hand people would actually attempt to communicate rather than shoot first.

I'm glad the bandit skin will force bandits to get shot. Same goes for heroes. They'll be a big target for bandits and wanna-be bandits. Works the other way around as well.

Besides, it'll take more than one kill to make you into a bandit and if the system was designed right, self defense kills wont automatically make a person a bandit either. Killing a bandit is not the same thing as camping a major city or hill over a city and murdering long strings of noobs again and again.

I see nothing wrong with the current system, as I understand it. I just hope we get more options in the future.

• Like 15

Why are we backpedaling? I'm just, I don't know, I'm just curious. Guess when you cry about something enough...

How is it backpedaling? Removing a flawed system and attempting to implement a better system is not backpedaling. Maybe we should try out the changes before passing judgement?

• Like 5