TheMachine

Bandit skin is awesome

that would be a less in your face solution, changing from sight to sound.. if there was a way to implement humanity without relying on restrictive gameplay mechanics, it would be great

Shut up and wear your towel.

The only problem I have is it looks fucking stupid.

Survivor body with an ugly towel wrapped around my face? Check.

I dont like it because it cheapens the experience through simplification of the gameplay to a 'team deathmatch' dynamic

It doesn't, because you can remove it. I play multiple play styles, one of which is even banditry, is anyone going to know that for sure? I don't have the bandit skin, is everyone going to immediately presume I never kill people for their stuff?

The answer is no, because that would be fucking retarded, and you know it.

I dont like the idea. What are you going to do?

The same thing I'd do if they removed it again: Nothing.

Maybe you should learn to deal with it like a big boy instead of crying so much.

that would be a less in your face solution, changing from sight to sound.. if there was a way to implement humanity without relying on restrictive gameplay mechanics, it would be great

How are you being restricted again? You can still earn people's trust if you work harder at it, you can increase your humanity, we're going in circles here because all you're doing is putting your fingers in your ears and screaming about how you're being forced in to a certain play style. You're not, and that's it. You just need to think outside the box, that's the bottom line.

Edited by Ulfhedjinn

I agree. so it seems that the humanity system might need to be refined a little.. and there needs to be a way to distinguish between acts which are 'humane' and acts which are 'inhumane'

The problem is, how does the game discern your intentions from your actions? How does the game know if you killed in self defense? or just for a laugh.. Is it more or less humane to kill a 'bandit' than it is to kill a 'survivor' Is it inhumane to shoot on sight if the target is a bad guy..

The only things i can think of are determining who fired first, but that comes with it's own problems which would be exploitable.

If you take a shot from someone and then fire back and kill then, it won't count against your humanity. Obviously the system can never be perfect, so that's part of the reason there's a pretty big limit before you turn into a bandit, as well as ways to increase your humanity.

If you take a shot from someone and then fire back and kill then, it won't count against your humanity. Obviously the system can never be perfect, so that's part of the reason there's a pretty big limit before you turn into a bandit, as well as ways to increase your humanity.

But how does the game know who a shot is aimed at.. For instance i could aggro a bunch of zombies to your location, wait till you start shooting them and the game could interpret that as you shooting at me..

Or if you need to actually take a bullet first.. It seems most guns kill with one shot right?

You need to take a bullet first. Most guns take more than one shot to kill (unless to the head), and yeah, the system isn't perfect. But that's why they give you some leeway.

You need to take a bullet first. Most guns take more than one shot to kill (unless to the head), and yeah, the system isn't perfect. But that's why they give you some leeway.

I take your point, but who wants to actually take a bullet before they can fire back? i mean if bullets start whizzing past your head, i'd say you ought to be entitled to return fire and still retain your humanity.

Also, as many have already noted, bandits will just get a bit more creative and now when they have some humanity they will actually be trusted more even though they are still a back stabbing bandit..

It's still an imperfect system in my view.

Why should someone have to wear a bandit mask regardless, and the same applies to the survivor skin.. Why shouldn't someone be able to wear the bandit costume if they want to, but they just don't like to murder people because it goes against their character?

Either way, i still feel that it's a valid point, being able to wear what you want does create a stronger bond with your character. Why should people be forced in to skins they don't like? regardless of how they play.. Surely there is a better way than this to make people PVP less..

You are a bioware level diva about what your character looks like. There are currently 4 skins to choose from, all of them extremely generic player models with soulless eyes and 0 potential for customization.

If you are that obsessively neckbearded about what your character looks like, go play wow or something. A game that actually has OPTIONS to customize your avatar.

You are pushing for something that, frankly, cant exist, and wont exist. Because the majority of the players are more worried about finding a good sniper rifle than finding a small piece of frill that will make them a more attractive target to whoever is scoped in on them.

And then you go and say "I havent actually played the game."

Why are you on these forums attempting to argue for changes to a game you dont even play?

• Like 2

You are a bioware level diva about what your character looks like. There are currently 4 skins to choose from, all of them extremely generic player models with soulless eyes and 0 potential for customization.

If you are that obsessively neckbearded about what your character looks like, go play wow or something. A game that actually has OPTIONS to customize your avatar.

You are pushing for something that, frankly, cant exist, and wont exist. Because the majority of the players are more worried about finding a good sniper rifle than finding a small piece of frill that will make them a more attractive target to whoever is scoped in on them.

And then you go and say "I havent actually played the game."

Why are you on these forums attempting to argue for changes to a game you dont even play?

Haha, well it is well known that customisation lends itself to a better attachment to the game world. And you say it can't won't exist, but why exactly?

I intend to get the standalone game when it comes out, and i want to discuss possible issues with the game before it's release so that everybody gets the best possible experience.. Why does it bother you if i'm 'neckbearded' (That's a new one to me btw) about what my character looks like.. Why is it so unacceptable that i might want to personalise my avatar? I could of course go and play WoW if i wanted, but i don't, so that's completely irrelevant isn't it?

I don't like the idea with heartbeat and such on mouseover... Its the same reason I don't play on nametag server, you can scan the bushes and suddenly you see someone you otherwise would not have seen. This isn't implemented yet, right?

Ah well

Not really used to emoticons anymore, way too much memes being spammed all over the place

Point still stands, people who say that ghillies are automatically bandits are morons for me

I know what you mean. In fact from my point of view ghillie = target, I don't care if he's a bandit or just another countersniper like me.

I'm just against the idea of wearing wookie fur.

I don't like the idea with heartbeat and such on mouseover... Its the same reason I don't play on nametag server, you can scan the bushes and suddenly you see someone you otherwise would not have seen. This isn't implemented yet, right?

That's a fair point i suppose.. How about it works only at a certain proximity?

I take your point, but who wants to actually take a bullet before they can fire back? i mean if bullets start whizzing past your head, i'd say you ought to be entitled to return fire and still retain your humanity.

Also, as many have already noted, bandits will just get a bit more creative and now when they have some humanity they will actually be trusted more even though they are still a back stabbing bandit..

It's still an imperfect system in my view.

No one's saying it's perfect. It's more a question of whether it's better or worse than what's before. Creating a "completely fair" humanity system would be extremely hard to implement in this version of the mod. You may have to kill the odd one or two people every once in a while, but it shouldn't be too hard to avoid bandit status if you're doing things right. Let's be pragmatic.

No one's saying it's perfect. It's more a question of whether it's better or worse than what's before. Creating a "completely fair" humanity system would be extremely hard to implement in this version of the mod. You may have to kill the odd one or two people every once in a while, but it shouldn't be too hard to avoid bandit status if you're doing things right. Let's be pragmatic.

Fair enough if it's easy to avoid, but in that case, is there not a worry that it will lead to more elaborate banditry? People will simply help out every unarmed player they meet to get humanity, then when they see them later with a nice weapon, stab them in the back for it... Actually that sounds pretty intense, and could lead to major mistrust even between groups.. Maybe it will be a good idea.

And you're right that of course it remains to be seen how it will pan out. I'm by no means against trial and error, that's what an alpha is for, i just want them to be careful that they don't misunderstand the underlying causes of certain social phenomena. It just seems a little bit black and white to me, and it seems couter-intuitive to the spirit of allowing social structures to form by themselves, as it seems to create two factions right from the start and imposes it's own social structure.

I would just urge them to consider that they may have misdiagnosed and are attributing the current state of social interaction to something incidental.

As many people have already stated.. Bullets being harder to find, and zombies being harder to evade, will probably go a long way to balancing out the community. The character skin may very well be completely irrelevant.

I find it funny that bandits never cry'd about the ammo refilling itself, dupeing, using teamspeak, etc ruining the immersion for them but now that there is a skin that lets people know your a PK suddenly its immersion breaking and must be fixed.

• Like 4

I find it funny that bandits never cry'd about the ammo refilling itself, dupeing, using teamspeak, etc ruining the immersion for them but now that there is a skin that lets people know your a PK suddenly its immersion breaking and must be fixed.

I'd say that's because people are more worried about what the finished product will be like, and are more opinionated about the design decisions and overall direction of the game's development, than they are about things which are obviously not intentional 'features' and clearly won't be purposefully added to the final game.

I had 0 humanity last night when I logged in and some towel wrapped around my head (at least it wasn't a fucking scarf making me looking like a french man.)

I was running to a friend, to get a blood pack and give one (even though it will raise my humanity.) I got about halfway (I had only killed 3 zed - now 150 humanity) and my skin changes back to survivor.

Meh!

My question is, I thought this was supposed to indicate all your murders through all your chars? If so, it is broken. I should be at -10K.

Can this dev team get anything right?

Oh, and by the way, graphic glitches are still there. Nice try!

What I think is funny is that people think that a bandit skin is going to change something.

It won't.

• Like 1

What I think is funny is that people think that a bandit skin is going to change something.

It won't.

This.

more bs

I am not worried that this change will make things harder for me, I am worried about how much easier visual humanity indicators make it. Its a strange feature to include, it does nothing but make the game easier... I personally enjoyed not knowing about people's humanity, it made meeting them and finding out about their playstyle alot more interesting.

You people are delusional. So bandits = exploiters now? Also, I made a thread about teamspeak being the equivalent of telepathy between survivors, since it was so easy to coordinate someone's death a meter in front of them without them knowing

Edited by _Profile_Shame

Be grateful Im not Rocket. I would make bandits have a big shlong hanging from their forheads. The more kills you got the bigger it got.

Just say'n. :P

• Like 2

More BS.

People still won't know for sure about your humanity, because you can change it.

How many times am I going to have to repeat this for it to sink in? :facepalm:

People still won't know for sure about your humanity, because you can change it.

How many times am I going to have to repeat this for it to sink in? :facepalm:

How dont you get by now that doesnt make a difference? I dont like having an visual humanity indicator. For good or bad humanity. Its a lame feature to be able to distinguish 'good' from 'bad', even more so if they are so easily interchangeable. Its strange that rocket is ok to put these features back in to appease the waves of casuals getting him to the 1 million mark, but still will not consider gameplay mechanics that break the 'authenticity/realism' of his back story (infected not undead)

Whatever. So DayZ is back to being a game of cops and robbers. I am still going to play.

• Like 1

Know how I know most of you are prepubes, pimply and full of shit?

Cause HonestBill had a decent post with great points. Points I agree with and some I don't. But, nevertheless, his points were more poignant than anything any of you have put up.

In the end, you will move on (hopefully) and the real players will still be here.

You just want the devs to cater to your sense of security. As if in real life I would have a towel on my head indicating I am a murderer.

With all that said, I don't mind it, per se. It will suck more for you, than me. Trust me, on that.

• Like 1