rocket

Disconnecting to avoid death

Yes.

You have to learn the hard way.

I personally never disconnected during PvP, and a very few times when fighting zombies (after I died due to 2 bugs, I was pissed so I ran to the city to get my stuff back, and I d/c to avoid zombies). I died many times from murderers, I could have alt+f4'd and survived, but I didn't because that would be cheating, and I'd have been ashamed of myself. I prefer to learn from my mistake and survive in a fair way.

So you would rather have a system where you need to wait 30 seconds to log out, even if you have just started off at the coastline while being shot at???

if you just started at the coastline just take the death. oh no, you're gonna lose your flashlight and bandage

i'm totally against being able to log out to save yourself and your gear, regardless of whether you're about to be killed by a player or by zombies. if you're about to die it means you screwed up. just take your lumps and move on.

Edited by Blakorr

Has anyone suggested having characters yell or scream when they connect into a server, like they are waking up from a bad dream that is Dayz.

This would solve two issues:

1. People aborting in high traffic areas, oh you aborted in NW bunkers nice to hear you scream when you login there.

2. People ghosting, oh was that a scream behind me must be another ghosting fag.

This will not stop aborting all together but would be a great first step to putting them at a disadvantage.

Edited by Trennen
  • Like 1

The main server logs when you login and logout. If it detects you doing this too many times in a short space, it will warn you when you login. If it continues to detect this, then it will punish you by killing your character.

Will there be any sort of warning on this? (Not that I log in and out a lot, but in the event i for some reason need to log in and out a few times (say i am lagging and reset my router, and then i reboot my computer, and then my game crashes), that's 3 relogs in a 5-8 minute period... I wouldn't want my char to die because of that.

Why not just disable the f4 button in game so the quick d/c isn't available? At the very least it would take them a couple extra seconds to logout. Not a complete fix, but a mild inconvenience to those that do it.

found that on youtube, so many like this guys are doing it:

i really hope this disconnect "cheat" will end soon. dont get it that ppl always go the easy way. if you get attaked , deal with it.

there has to be a countdown to log back in. and 5 min would be grat. so pll think twice to "not disconnect"

Edited by themaster
  • Like 1

5 seconds is not enough. Due to the slow pace of dayz even 1 minute may not be enough, say if a guy hides behind a rock from a sniper. The sniper isnt gonna get up and go look if hes still there or not. Tricky subject to fix.

if you just started at the coastline just take the death. oh no, you're gonna lose your flashlight and bandage

What if they camped all day at that spot killing multiple people. You still don't see that as a problem??? wtf is wrong with you people...

Do you know how frustrating it would be to everyone if players would just keep dying at spawn points?

Edited by Saiyad

found that on youtube, so many like this guys are doing it:

i really hope this disconnect "cheat" will end soon. dont get it that ppl always go the easy way. if you get attaked , deal with it.

there has to be a countdown to log back in. and 5 min would be grat. so pll think twice to "not disconnect"

Yeah that's a "good idea" but what if i join a night server and i want to switch to another? it happens to me really often, we have a problem then. Is not that easy to avoid this stuff as it looks.

Yeah that's a "good idea" but what if i join a night server and i want to switch to another? it happens to me really often, we have a problem then. Is not that easy to avoid this stuff as it looks.

Then you have to wait 3-4 min. That is NOT such an horrific amount of time to wait. You can go make yourself a coffee :) .

Plus, there is GMT indication on servers.

Finally, i find that the majority of players have their favorites server and usually connects only to these ones. Unless you server hops of course :P

• Like 1

You shouldent do that BECAUSE what happens if I have to go and im about to die I mean those times when you HAVE to leave like a sports game?

Please think about this

Maybe it would be a first step to get the connect and disconnect message global.

At this point you can maybe see if someone reconnect after he ALT-F4 out of the game.

You shouldent do that BECAUSE what happens if I have to go and im about to die I mean those times when you HAVE to leave like a sports game?

Please think about this

Then don't put yourself in a dangerous situation right before a sport game. Just logout 10 minutes earlier, in a safe spot.

Edited by Kiro
  • Like 1

Best implementation:

To log out you need to do a action, that action will require the player to be still(crouched, maybe the medic animation could do the work) for lets say 10-30 seconds and then you are free to disconnect, if you try to move or get shoot the action its cancelled. If you disconnect that way, you get no penalty at all and you can join when you want.

If you dont do that, 2 options:

1-Leave the char ingame for 1-2mins as penalty, so you can get killed. This be the best option because the people will be really scared about disconecting, because they will still be able to be killed. Also in that 1-2 mins obviously the player wont be able to log in back.

Cons of this solution: Need changes on the engine or really heavy workarounds. Also if your connection gets interrupted you can be easily killed, but you will be already killed if you have lags right now because of your conection, so just pay for a good internet connection :P.

Pros of this solution: The people would be really scared of not disconnect properly so the disconnecters would be greatly reduced almost to 0 ;).

2-Just log the incorrect log out, first time warn the player( you can get connection problems), second in less than 2-3h time penalty( dont let he join for lets say 10-15 mins). Bigger penaltys(more time or kill the char ) can be to much for a person who have connection issues for example. Maybe apply bigger penalties if the char its wounded or being shot...

Pros of this solution: its realizable right now, just log on the database some data.

Cons of this solution: This solution would stop people from disconnect to avoid zombies, but they will still disconect in PvP because a time penalty its better if they have good gear than a death :P

• Like 1

What about having a requirement that you can only log off / disconnect in a safe area? i.e. when you have not agro'd zombies and when you are not in a fire fight with another person? This should be somwhat easy to implement?

Also, you could build in a feature where if the client ends the applications process in task manager to disconnect, the clients character stays active in the game and can be killed, unless the client exits the game in the correct safe area procedure.

+1 cookie for me pls :)

Edited by Sgt.Hexstatic

It's real simple to fix this, obviously there is a hit indicater built into the game & mod, otherwise you & the database woudn't know when you've been shot, all they have to do is make is so if a player is shot... not fallen down or broken a leg from a tree or some other stupid thing, but actualy shot or attacked by another player with a hatchet, that is obviously detected by the game/mod/database... once that is detected & it's usualy instantly for the person getting shot & the person doing the shooting, simply keep that players body ingame for like 5 mins... should they DC, weather their dead or not.

The whole beef about DC'ing is because the person doing the shooting wants to loot the body & can't, so all they have to do is make sure the person's body remains, should they get shot... then all other types of DC'ing that have been mentioned are not effected, even if they are to some degree, anyone who DC in an open field or building deserves what they get, will be a good leason for them to learn you don't leave with your character in a vunerable position... get to a tree line & hide! before you DC.

Edited by TCEd

As Long as it can tell weather or not you are just trying to find a better server, because I get problems connecting to a server from someone not updating their server, lag issues, or just the fact your stuck on creating player message, those aren't exploits. even if its someone really wanting to play a day server only to stumble on a night time because the program they are using doesn't have a message describing if its day or night. except DayZ Commander which sometimes isn't correct on day or night.

but as long as the ones trying to find a better server aren't penalized.

Edited by Miami_bat

I think a 30 second disconnect timer, if you move it cancels makes sense. As well, I think 2-3 minute between rejoining the same server is reasonable. There is no reason why you should need to connect to the same server more than once in a 5 minute period. Otherwise you are just exploiting/hopping in that case your the problem in the first place.

• Like 2

I think a 30 second disconnect timer, if you move it cancels makes sense. As well, I think 2-3 minute between rejoining the same server is reasonable. There is no reason why you should need to connect to the same server more than once in a 5 minute period. Otherwise you are just exploiting/hopping in that case your the problem in the first place.

Server hoppers don't connect to the same server they connect to multiple servers so waiting to connect to the same server wouldn't stop them.

Rocket will need a beta patch to solve this issue cuz i doubt the mod has the capability to do so efficiently. Thats why dayz needs to be standalone asap.

this should be priority 1 to fix.

it compleatly ruins the game for me, also main reason why i chose other games to play now

Is there anyway we can report players that do this at the moment? This just happened to me by a player named Fantik on US 777 around 4:00 PM EST... We shot at him in NW Airfield and he D/C and I went to loot the tower he was in, he reconnected and killed me. I know there is no way for me to retrieve all of my stuff but is there a way we can somehow punish the people who disconnect before or during combat at this time?

• Like 1

minecraft has a plugin called combat logger that is a fix for ppl who logon when they are about to die in pvp...just puts a npc player in the players spot for 60 seconds with there stuff so they can still die and b looted after...good stuff.

"Is there anyway we can report players that do this at the moment?"

-on our servers that vigilant addiction runs we have a list of known loggers so that when it becoms punishable we can do so...

But i agree THIS HAS TO BE ADRESSED AS A NUMBER ONE TOP PRIORITY ISSUE! ROCKET IF U READ THIS DROP EVERYTHING AND DO SUMTHING ABOUT THIS PLEASE. its far more important that underground cities and the freaking camo suit and tents...shdu have actally been fixed b 4 the mod even launched IMO. its a compleat game killer when u kill sum one who is decked out with high lvl gear and then he alt f4's out and his body dissapears....

Edited by scypheroth