rocket

Disconnecting to avoid death

Two cowards have logged off to keep me from killing them in the past day.

One idea would be to implement a 10/20/or even 30 second countdown timer to log off. If you alt-f4 quit, your character will remain on the server for a minute.

Yep.

30 sec for normal abort(better 60 seconds)

60 seconds for force dc(better 120 seconds)

Also at last 5 minutes wait until change the server or reconnect.

Just came on here to say' date=' haha to server 22 hospital, you popped me with 2 m249 rounds out of 50 and I dced and relogged bandaged myself and then had to rummage for morphene which i still havent found. Then i logged out on aladder cuz it wouldnt finish the climb animation and then it spawned me inbetween a wall and the stairs so now im in a inaccessible room in hospital. you shoulda just KILLED ME!

[/quote']

Pics or it didn't happen.

It cant be patched out dude. its not harder then going Alt+F4. not everyone uses Abort you know :P

Here's the deal guys. This mod is in Alpha. The issue is probably going to be here for a little while longer. Needs time. It will be fixed eventually, considering he's already trying to fix it now with recent patches. He can't please everyone.

It cant be patched out dude. its not harder then going Alt+F4. not everyone uses Abort you know :P

Exactly why cant it be patched out? Aggression timer shouldn't be hard to implement. Haven and Hearth have it, hell even in minecraft you can mod in a combat log plugin.

Everyone abusing it now will be crying later when they stay ingame and lose everything after trying to alt-F4.

All they have to do is make it so as long as the player is in aggression mode, being attacked... attacking... that they will stay ingame regardless if they pull the plug, Alt-F4 or abort. 1 minute timer on aggression reset.

The real question is not what to do about the D/C'ing to avoid death, players, zeds, whatever.... The real question is why is everyone still whining about it. With this being an Alpha, there are some things that we are just going to have to accept, whether we feel it is an issue or not, and continue working out the true bugs/glitches/hacks in the game.

Since anyone can jump from server to server at any time for any reason, there is absolutely no further reason to still be complaining about it. Shoot in the head, unload an entire clip, blast them w/shotgun, whack with a hatchet/crowbar. Time to move on......

The real question is not what to do about the D/C'ing to avoid death' date=' players, zeds, whatever.... The real question is why is everyone still whining about it. With this being an Alpha, there are some things that we are just going to have to accept, whether we feel it is an issue or not, and continue working out the true bugs/glitches/hacks in the game.

Since anyone can jump from server to server at any time for any reason, there is absolutely no further reason to still be complaining about it. Shoot in the head, unload an entire clip, blast them w/shotgun, whack with a hatchet/crowbar. Time to move on......

[/quote']

You're the one who's whining. Other people are discussing the best way to solve the problem.

I can see people here want to make DayZ an elite hardcore gamers only game, that's why it's always treacherous to base changes only on forum users that count a lot of people dedicating their whole days to games. I doubt that's the will of Rocket and BI.

As to please the few hundreds of hardcore gamers that don't have a Real Life, kids to watch or any responsability that may interrupt the game they would lose 95% of all players that just want their piece of fun and still be free to play without having to stay forcus on the game during hours not to lose everything.

Not to mention even the best connections have problems sometimes... So I still think annoying most of players for the pleasure of a few won't do any good. Restrict disconnecting in pvp situations would be fair, forcing people to risk death or getting bored to death waiting to connect won't be.

I can see people here want to make DayZ an elite hardcore gamers only game' date=' that's why it's always treacherous to base changes only on forum users that count a lot of people dedicating their whole days to games. I doubt that's the will of Rocket and BI.

As to please the few hundreds of hardcore gamers that don't have a Real Life, kids to watch or any responsability that may interrupt the game they would lose 95% of all players that just want their piece of fun and still be free to play without having to stay forcus on the game during hours not to lose everything.

Not to mention even the best connections have problems sometimes... So I still think annoying most of players for the pleasure of a few won't do any good. Restrict disconnecting in pvp situations would be fair, forcing people to risk death or getting bored to death waiting to connect won't be.

[/quote']

You can't wait 20 seconds? Is that really messing up your oh-so-busy real life and boring you to death?

So 95% will leave there game if exploiting is stopped you say? While I truly appreciate the enormous amount of reseach that have gone into finding that number, especially considering how important your time is, I only have one thing to say: Bye. People cheating in an online game will not be missed by those who aren't cheating, it's pretty simple.

There are plenty of games that accomodates those with short attention span, let this one be different. Just this one. Thanks.

I can see people here want to make DayZ an elite hardcore gamers only game' date=' that's why it's always treacherous to base changes only on forum users that count a lot of people dedicating their whole days to games. I doubt that's the will of Rocket and BI.

[/quote']

I've seen more games get ruined by listening to the carebear community. Just saying...

If Rocket's intention was to make an accessible game mod for the masses, he probably wouldn't have picked Arma2 as the engine to base it on (notwithstanding the fact that he works at BIS of course.)

Not sure if this has been said yet but a timer from logoff is a bad idea since if for example a server is running a different version, or its night and a player only wants to play days. Or if for example he/she runs into a server that has spawnkilling bandits, and all of those repeatedly. (Sure slim for multiple chances but it exists, everytime i join there are atleast over half of the servers always nighttime no matter the timezone server i enter.)

Also please define how does the server define if you are logging off to avoid death? It could simply misunderstand a player who is doing that and mix it with a player who is disconnecting but for example has muted his/her computer and is indoors so wont see/hear the zombie yet.

Sure im not telling what to do but i am telling what not to do.

P.S. spawning without a weapon is fine. New players (which i was a bit over week ago) learn the spots of weapon locations fast, or they will just google it. Altough zombies seem to have super hearing & vision.

I've seen more games get ruined by listening to the carebear community. Just saying...

If Rocket's intention was to make an accessible game mod for the masses' date=' he probably wouldn't have picked Arma2 as the engine to base it on (notwithstanding the fact that he works at BIS of course.)

[/quote']

True, though he didn't work for BIS when he first started the mod IIRC.

I bet, when they were in the process of inventing chess, there were a boatload of people on the sidelines yelling "Too many pieces, too many pieces!!!"

Your player should just remain in-world when you log off. Problem solved.

No one should be logging off, anyways. You're not going to be allowed to "log off" when the real zombie apocalypse comes just because you need t sleep, or get some food, or go to work...

No one should be logging off' date=' anyways. You're not going to be allowed to "log off" when the real zombie apocalypse comes just because you need t sleep, or get some food, or go to work...

[/quote']

And let the other players kill you when you are logged off? No thanks. Unless there is an AI that protects you but bots have a habid of having good accuracy so that would be a death to players either way.

And when a real zombie apocalypse comes you have to take a crap now unlike in DayZ and then and there would actyally be a military which could do more then die in masses. and people would not be paranoid as hell when it comes to other people since there is an actual common enemy and no respawns.

And in real life you would probably grab some solar panels, transformer and essential electronics (bare minimum unless you know a house at some island.) Get a ton of food, water and other essential supplies and just go camp at some island untill military radios an all clear.

No one should be logging off' date=' anyways. You're not going to be allowed to "log off" when the real zombie apocalypse comes just because you need t sleep, or get some food, or go to work...

[/quote']

And let the other players kill you when you are logged off? No thanks. Unless there is an AI that protects you but bots have a habid of having good accuracy so that would be a death to players either way.

And when a real zombie apocalypse comes you have to take a crap now unlike in DayZ and then and there would actyally be a military which could do more then die in masses. and people would not be paranoid as hell when it comes to other people since there is an actual common enemy and no respawns.

And in real life you would probably grab some solar panels, transformer and essential electronics (bare minimum unless you know a house at some island.) Get a ton of food, water and other essential supplies and just go camp at some island untill military radios an all clear.

What happens to the military when some fifteen year old hacks into nuclear silos and nukes the entire planet just to piss people off? Then your precious militaries are just standing around on a beach with a flashlight and a single bandage, maybe a bottle of Tylenol...

You'd like to think you could just grab a boat and go live on an island, but both boats in the world have already been taken by the people living on the islands, and you're not a part of their tribe, so if you try swimming out there or building a raft, you're just going to get yourself shot.

Not to mention the fact that if you attempt to swim out to an island, you're most likely going to drop all of your food and sodas...

You better join a tribe ASAP. I'm not so sure you're ready for the real zombie apoc if it hits...

Have a log-out button. When you select it, it takes anywhere (random) from 5 to 30 seconds until you are logged out. This will require finding a safe place to log-out.

If one simply aborts, then the player does NOT lose all their hard-earned gear, but they do lose where they are. Doing a fast Abort results in players spawning, with all their gear, in one of the coastal spawn points.

This makes it virtually impossible for players to quickly disconnect and server hop.

Have a log-out button. When you select it' date=' it takes anywhere (random) from 5 to 30 seconds until you are logged out. This will require finding a safe place to log-out.

If one simply [b']aborts, then the player does NOT lose all their hard-earned gear, but they do lose where they are. Doing a fast Abort results in players spawning, with all their gear, in one of the coastal spawn points.

This makes it virtually impossible for players to quickly disconnect and server hop.

Thats a pretty cool idea actually.

To help against people d/c ing to avoid death you'd have to have players who disconnect while bleeding/in shock/unconcious die though, otherwise getting a free teleport out of trouble with all your gear is still viable.

Against server hopping and repositioning I'd suggest to raise the logout time to 1 minute.

whilst spawning on the coast for a quick log out SEEMS like a good idea, it is actually still horribly flawed.

Power Outages

Internet Dropouts

Bluescreens

Video Driver Crashes

Random Freezes...

The list could go on, but there are too many ways a PC game can get fucked up that it would be unfair for a player who has worked very hard to get somewhere to just get re spawned on the coast, it would get abused by players who are bored and geared up. They would just log out and spawn in Cherno to wreak havok on the noobs.

whilst spawning on the coast for a quick log out SEEMS like a good idea' date=' it is actually still horribly flawed.

Power Outages

Internet Dropouts

Bluescreens

Video Driver Crashes

Random Freezes...

The list could go on, but there are too many ways a PC game can get fucked up that it would be unfair for a player who has worked very hard to get somewhere to just get re spawned on the coast, it would get abused by players who are bored and geared up. They would just log out and spawn in Cherno to wreak havok on the noobs.

[/quote']

Less unfair than playing with people who cheat?

Having a stable internet connection is not an unreasonable requirement for an online game in my opinion.

I don't have any of the problems you listed, many people don't. Why should we be punished for your lazy system maintenance?

I do think the 'spawn-on-coast' idea is bad, but a 20 sec Login+logout freeze would be perfectly okay.

whilst spawning on the coast for a quick log out SEEMS like a good idea' date=' it is actually still horribly flawed.

Power Outages

Internet Dropouts

Bluescreens

Video Driver Crashes

Random Freezes...

[/quote']

Less unfair than playing with people who cheat?

Having a stable internet connection is not an unreasonable requirement for an online game in my opinion.

I don't have any of the problems you listed, many people don't. Why should we be punished for your lazy system maintenance?

I do think the 'spawn-on-coast' idea is bad, but a 20 sec Login+logout freeze would be perfectly okay.

I like the logout timer, it makes perfect sense. However it MUST have the ability to interupt the logout process simply by moving in game. I dont want to be frozen in place to see a player coming in from some unknown location or suddenly realize i have a zombie about to chew on my neck.

Sometimes other players are good at what they do... and there not seen. I want the option to suddenly take cover and interupt a logout timer should i suddenly come under

We should look at why this is happening, to understand that a solution that would be liked by anyone (or that couldn't penalize who really have to disconnect or for connection drops) doesn't exists.

The main problems are: disconnectors to avoid death AND server hoppers (to go behind you and to loot stuff on multiple servers).

How to solve both? The logic says that to eliminates the problem you need to eliminate what's causing it. So: we need to eliminate the disconnection > you're going to live in game h24.

The would be possible, but a way too "hardcore" to please most of the players are: in the end this is a game! We cannot stop our real life to play a game, neither we may suffer the frustration of leaving our character "alone" while we're away (i already imagine ppl renting other persons to take care of their avatar! ...it could be a new business! .. lol), however returning serious: this is NOT possible, but we can apply a middle solution:

- You can stay in game on a server for how long you want, this gives you a sort of "h24 ingame living", but if you decided to disconnect that you will respawn on a random point of the map (or coast as now).

This will solve in almost any situation:

- You can still disconnect to avoid death... BUT you gonna suffer to loose your position. And eventually be more in dangerous than before (ie: spawning on the coast / loose the support of your friends).

- You can still disconnect to have the zeds despawn. BUT again you gonna loose the position: so you wouldn't have any advantage of looting places careless, because at relogin you wouldn't be there anymore.

- You cannot go "behind" me, moving on another server, you'll respawn ayway then.

- You cannot server hop on barracks and deer stands anymore you won't be there after the first "hop".

- We can finally have "fortifications": ppl cannot move inside a fortification, because you never gonna respawn inside it. But we'll have only fortification with an entrance and ppl survelling it (like if would be in reality) because have the owners cannot respawn inside it!

But then what price we'll pay? It will be harder to meet with your clan.. since at each login anyone will respawn far from anyone else. And you'll be in dangerous at each respawn, because u never know when you're going to respawn! I find this exctiing... :)

I already know that "certain" type of players wouldn't like this solution (mainly campers) ... but who cares, i'm going to propose it anyway. :)

We should look at why this is happening' date=' to understand that a solution that would be liked by anyone (or that couldn't penalize who really have to disconnect or for connection drops) doesn't exists.

The main problems are: disconnectors to avoid death AND server hoppers (to go behind you and to loot stuff on multiple servers).

How to solve both? The logic says that to eliminates the problem you need to eliminate what's causing it. So: we need to eliminate the disconnection > [b']you're going to live in game h24.

The would be possible, but a way too "hardcore" to please most of the players are: in the end this is a game! We cannot stop our real life to play a game, neither we may suffer the frustration of leaving our character "alone" while we're away (i already imagine ppl renting other persons to take care of their avatar! ...it could be a new business! .. lol), however returning serious: this is NOT possible, but we can apply a middle solution:

- You can stay in game on a server for how long you want, this gives you a sort of "h24 ingame living", but if you decided to disconnect that you will respawn on a random point of the map (or coast as now).

This will solve in almost any situation:

- You can still disconnect to avoid death... BUT you gonna suffer to loose your position. And eventually be more in dangerous than before (ie: spawning on the coast / loose the support of your friends).

- You can still disconnect to have the zeds despawn. BUT again you gonna loose the position: so you wouldn't have any advantage of looting places careless, because at relogin you wouldn't be there anymore.

- You cannot go "behind" me, moving on another server, you'll respawn ayway then.

- You cannot server hop on barracks and deer stands anymore you won't be there after the first "hop".

- We can finally have "fortifications": ppl cannot move inside a fortification, because you never gonna respawn inside it. But we'll have only fortification with an entrance and ppl survelling it (like if would be in reality) because have the owners cannot respawn inside it!

But then what price we'll pay? It will be harder to meet with your clan.. since at each login anyone will respawn far from anyone else. And you'll be in dangerous at each respawn, because u never know when you're going to respawn! I find this exctiing... :)

I already know that "certain" type of players wouldn't like this solution (mainly campers) ... but who cares, i'm going to propose it anyway. :)

Or as an alternative, add a 20 second logout timer and a 20 second login freeze. That would accomplish the same thing, it would stop disconnectors and server hoppers. Where's the flaw?

forget all that i say you can only disconnect near your tent or else there is a cool down period to reenter a different server..like 5 mins or something. having a wait time leave before logging leaves player to vulnerable if they try to flee.. so i say only log out in proximity to your tent or there is a 10 second run off where the player is vulnerable.

problem solved .. / end thread

forget all that i say you can only disconnect near your tent or else there is a cool down period to reenter a different server..like 5 mins or something. having a wait time leave before logging leaves player to vulnerable if they try to flee.. so i say only log out in proximity to your tent or there is a 10 second run off where the player is vulnerable.

Then how do fresh spawns without tents log out? Think again.