Sign in to follow this  
pekhe

What to do when you have the best gear?

I have the best possible gear, NVG, RangeFinder, DMR, Coyote pack, etc...

I wonder what there is to do anymore.

I don't want a chopper or a car because they make too much noise. Building a base alone is stupid.

Exploring is pointless as the game world is quite small after all, and I already have all the gear I need.

Killing other players is pointless. No reward.

Co-operating with someone is too dangerous, I can survive alone and isn't that the point of this mod?

This mod doesn't have an end-game. :huh:

The mod is in alpha...

Alpha - Adding and removing features... basically designing the features to be implemented for the game.

Beta - Fix the bugs.

There is no end game because this mod is only a couple months old... a MOD, and let alone one that does not have a full development team behind it.

So it will take a while. Rocket did not expect that thousands of players would start playing and immedietly expect results from him.

As far as I can see though this is a sandbox game. This basically entails not really have an early mid or end game. It is just an open world with stuff in it... you make your own story.

The main goal of this game seems to be survive as long as possible.. Luckily there are things that keep you moving so try that first.

Also where are you? I want to shoot you for your NVG's.

For cooperating, find RL friends, frequent servers and make friends that others can vouch for, or join a clan.

1. Find a helicopter

2. Offer rides for survivors between the airports in exchange for food, ammo and weapons.

3. ???

4. Profit!

Get yourself a tent in a very secretive spot, and make yourself a permanent home to store all your phat loot.

But there is no point developing the mod if the whole concept is doomed to fail because the "end-game" can't be implemented into the concept.

Comparing this to minecraft, that game actually has the potential to support this kind of mod concept because it has an unlimited/generating game world.

I have the best possible gear' date=' NVG, RangeFinder, DMR, Coyote pack, etc...

[/quote']

Would you like to borrow me your NVG? I swear I give you this back.

Step 1: Find Helo

Step 2: Fix Helo

Step 3: Set Ride of the valkyries on loop in direct communications

Step 4: Re-enact Apocalypse Now Beach assault on cherno

Step 5: Crash in flames

Alternatively:

Run the First Chernarus Zombie rescue service, no LZ too hot, no survivor left behind!

But there is no point developing the mod if the whole concept is doomed to fail because the "end-game" can't be implemented into the concept.

Why is there no point? Just because there is persistence doesn't make this an MMO.

It is a sandbox game.. Why does it need end game? The idea is just to live as long a possible or find fun stuff to do. He keeps adding more stuff and plans to for a long time. Once arma 3 comes out, you will have most all enterable buildings and more goodies.

Give rocket some time. He made a mod.. showed some guys.. and a few weeks later everyone in the world is playing it and expecting him to give everyone what THEY want.

He made the mod cuz it sounded fun... and it has been fun. I have always hated the stupid progress through a series of stages getting slightly more difficult style of games. I enjoy the sandbox which lets me decide what to do.

Who cares about end game. Go play a real MMO. FPS's don't need end game.

I have the best possible gear' date=' NVG, RangeFinder, DMR, Coyote pack, etc...

I wonder what there is to do anymore.

I don't want a chopper or a car because they make too much noise. Building a base alone is stupid.

Exploring is pointless as the game world is quite small after all, and I already have all the gear I need.

Killing other players is pointless. No reward.

Co-operating with someone is too dangerous, I can survive alone and isn't that the point of this mod?

This mod doesn't have an end-game. :huh:

[/quote']

Welcome to alpha

Sandbox=endgame at the beginning, it means you make whatever end game you want, most people hunt other players and since most players are on the coast, thats where they go a.k.a the Bean Wars.

And since you think vehicles are to loud (pussymuch?) and bases are 'stupid' I guess you are left with the Bean Wars or the walking simulator. Or you could take a break until new features are implemented.

And since you think vehicles are to loud (pussymuch?) and bases are 'stupid' I guess you are left with the Bean Wars or the walking simulator. Or you could take a break until new features are implemented.

I don't use vehicles because they don't give any reward. It's just taking risks for no reason. Isn't the main goal to survive?

The only point I can think of is killing other players that have good gear, just to lower the competition between the elite players, and keep a differential advantage and maintaining my top position.

I think surviving should be a lot harder in the northern part of the game world - At least 3x the zombie count. Zombies should spawn in the forest as well (north).

Also, right now zombies can't hit you as long as you keep running. How about making the zombies to be able to hit you as they run, so that they don't stop to bite you?

Easy. Join a nighttime server, go to the coast, kill as many players as you can before you die and then start over.

I don't use vehicles because they don't give any reward. It's just taking risks for no reason. Isn't the main goal to survive?

The only point I can think of is killing other players that have good gear' date=' just to lower the competition between the elite players, and keep a differential advantage and maintaining my top position.

[/quote']

The "main goal" is to have fun. Good job, mission failed.

When I got to the the end game gear in Terraria and had everything the game got instantly boring because there is nothing else to do or really work for. The thing is that took like 100 hours of actually objectively playing the game to get there and not really messing around too much. In DayZ as it is right now the end game items and gear can be attained in a single afternoon if you are persistent and then the only thing left to do really is kill people. This is why the game is gradually turning into a death match in the large cities and coastal areas; it's getting boring and that is the result.

Once the whole map is explored a few times it does become very small, I can navigate most of the roads now and parts of the forest without even having to look at a map. So the problem as I see it is it's far to easy to get to end game status and once you do it's all downhill from there. I don't think much needs to change in the game but the difficulty and means of getting end game equipment should be much harder and take much longer.

I hate to say this but being at end game for nearly 2 weeks now I would not be opposed to some kind of far more advanced system of getting items and weapons such as actually having to construct them with parts. Even though this is a sandbox game it needs more objectivity in between start and getting to the end game.

^ I agree

There should also be a game mechanic that makes it hard to stay at the top. But I have no idea what it could be.

Maybe a fatigue system could also help.

The more stuff you carry, the slower you move and easier the zombies can get you.

I agree with OP!

Once the novelty wears off and no goals then it's time to quit playing.

There is no goal in this game other than what you make of it. Same as in real life btw.

If your creativity ends at aquiring stuff then probably you should stick to games which come with detailed instructions and objectives you can follow.

That is just a defensive excuse for a game which gets boring for mostly everyone shortly after end game item acquisition. I play this game with 15+ people regularly, we are all dealing with and talking about the same things not to mention discussions with other players in the game.

There could be so much more to this which would exponentially increase long term playability for everyone and make it so much better than it actually is. With your mindset there is absolutely no room for growth within the game or improvement on a good but flawed system.

If I had that gear I'd become a Chernarus superhero. Head to the coast, stalk the newbies from the tree line and observe their actions, kill anyone you see commit an act of banditry, protect the guys that work together.

I do agree though that there is not much to do after you have all the gear. If I'm honest the game needs to be harder, it's actually really easy to survive if you play smart, but most choose to take risks because it's more fun. I could head to the woods straight away and keep my guy alive for days without needing any gear other than the makarov but it's more fun to try and survive in Electro or Cherno because there is actual challenge to it.

For all intents and purposes you have 'won' the game, congrats.

Write same names on a loo roll and run them past your monitor if that helps you feel complete.

Die.

Honestly' date=' that's all there is to do

[/quote']

Sounds familiar.

Everytime I find something decent (be it an AK74 + Kobra or even a GPS), the likehood of me dying a stupid death goes up by 75%.

I cant actually believe I am reading the content in this thread!! My god gents be creative, its a sandbox game and there will never be an "endgame". There are however, objectives that you can set yourselves, you know thinking outside the box and all that.

Need me to explain or do you get it now?

You either die or quit until there is a new patch with more content.

Otherwise, you might as well play something else for a while. This game has no "end game", there are just things to do. More patches bring more things to do. Also, what is the point of having all that gear if you never use it?

Seriously, if you can't think of anything else to do, you might as well give it a rest.

The only thing that should be added as some kind of endgame, is statistics for how long you have survived, and it should be your goal to stay alive as long as you can. I have been playing for 2 weeks now, got killed a couple of times, but I am doing allright now, got some nice gear, not the best. And I really dig the atmosphere, and the decision making. Everytime I come across a house or city, there is a decision to be made, do I go in for loot, or do I have enough for the moment, and when I see other players, do I try to communicate with them, with the danger they will shoot me, or do I leave them alone. This alone can keep me satisfied for some time, and me knowing this is only a Alpha version, and that stuff still is going to get added, makes me even more happy. And I have only played solo, I would love to play this game with some of my friends, thats adds even more to the mix :D