Sign in to follow this  
Zoop

Are private servers technically illegal?

Was having a discussion about this with someone earlier, and the guy claims that private servers are illegal and have been outlawed by Rocket. My reasoning is that while Rocket may not condone them, he can't really do anything about them and they're not illegal because the DayZ mod is not technically owned by Rocket. All of the assets in the mod belongs to BIS, and not Rocker, so unless BIS takes up a stance against private servers, they're in the clear.

Am I correct in my reasoning?

Was having a discussion about this with someone earlier, and the guy claims that private servers are illegal and have been outlawed by Rocket. My reasoning is that while Rocket may not condone them, he can't really do anything about them and they're not illegal because the DayZ mod is not technically owned by Rocket. All of the assets in the mod belongs to BIS, and not Rocker, so unless BIS takes up a stance against private servers, they're in the clear.

No you don't have to have permission to make a dayzmod server. You do have to have permission to use the @hive. So private hive required. Someone running a private server/hive doesn't really do anything.

Its not illegal, you can go ahead and do it if you want. But it is frowned upon heavily and it is violating rockets personal wishes. You also can't use the hive that the public servers are connected to.

Edited by Hendrix27
  • Like 1

sounds right to me only thing rocket can do is black list them from the hive but who gives a shit anyway. I think servers should have there own hive anyway it will prevent asshole server hoppers and ghosters allow admins to better police there own servers. fuck this persistent world bullshit the only thing thats persistent about it is the players location and gear. people cant take vehicles with them or tents its stupid if you find a vehicle on a server or set up a base thats there server your gonna play on your not gonna play on another server.

ive been playing lingor island on a private server and let me tell you its been great lingor island is 100 times better a map then chernus.

Edited by Junkyard

Private servers are not illegal if they're not connected to the hive because the only advantage you could get from playing on one is experience. Private/passworded servers on the hive are illegal.

The mod is rockets property, and so is the hive. The hive is not developed with anything related to BI really, and BI's terms of service does not state that mod content created in their game, is their property. Thus, any code written in the creation of a mod, is owned by the creator, in this case Rocket.

So yes, unofficial hives are in fact stealing code and using it for their own

I guess I'll be looking for a private server to call home then, because I am really so sick and tired of script kiddies ruining my experience. This is seriously getting out of hand, so until the stand-alone release I think going private is the only option for me.

The mod is rockets property, and so is the hive. The hive is not developed with anything related to BI really, and BI's terms of service does not state that mod content created in their game, is their property. Thus, any code written in the creation of a mod, is owned by the creator, in this case Rocket.

um well it maybe shitty to steal the code from rocket its not illegal he doesn't own the code its a mod Bis own the engine and they allow modding so there for its not illegal from a legal point of view if it was a stand alone game then sure but its not its a mod.

You guys must live in happy places.

Strictly speaking, setting up private hives is likely to be software piracy (copyright infringement) and, depending on jurisdiction, computer sabotage, because you misappropriate software under a specific license and with specified terms of use. It may also be classified as illegal reverse engineering, but that is heavily dependant on whether that in particular is illegal in your jurisdiction. In any case, whether these charges are actually enforceable, under whatever jurisdiction, is another question entirely.

Edited by jwiechers
  • Like 1

Hello there

I think "illegal" is a little to strong a term, but they are probably frowned upon.

But, it is interesting that some chaps are picking up the dayz mod and moulding it for their own tastes. ie Lingor etc.

For me, its what the whole Arma experience is about.

I do however, understand the devs reluctance for this to happen.

rgds

LoK

Strictly speaking, setting up private hives is likely to be software piracy (copyright infringement) and, depending on jurisdiction, computer sabotage, because you misappropriate software under a specific license and with specified terms of use. It may also be classified as illegal reverse engineering, but that is heavily dependant on whether that in particular is illegal in your jurisdiction. In any case, whether these charges are actually enforceable, under whatever jurisdiction, is another question entirely.

Is it illegal to edit a mod for Skyrim? Then why is it for DayZ?

• Like 1

Tecnically, they are using rocket's code. But they are not using it to earn money.

It's like the fact that modders use the game 's code to make their own game.

Since there is no earn of money, it's all legit.

If Adobe can't stop people copying Photoshop, you know what I mean...

All the more reason to get community buy-in.

The DayZ team doesn't make the laws anywhere last time I checked.

I would only say it frowned on by some of the hardcore fanboys, and the devs of course. Even though most of them are probably sitting on a few gigs of pirated movies/music.

Edited by syncmaster

Because rocket made it his own personal wish, that the community doesn't alter DayZ from the way it is. And after him giving us this amazing mod and him working his ass off to keep improving it for OUR entertainment, I don't see why its so hard to give him something in return and just do what he asks.

Rocket does not own the code unless he some how has a pattern for the hive program that was not part of the original arma 2 game then there is nothing legally he can do.

That depends on the *terms* of the mod and on how your specific jurisdiction has interpreted the clauses of the revised Berne Convention and auxiliary copyright conventions. It also depends on the regulations set forth by the producers of the original game.

Per default, if the mod or parts thereof can be qualified as artistic, literary or in another sense, protection-worthy, works, you would have to be granted the right to edit and modify it and would be in breach of copyright if you do so without the authors permission, express or, in some cases, implied (fair use clauses -- and: no, they do not apply here).

Edited by jwiechers

What the hell? Private Server just use the same Files as HIVE Servers (at all if u dont have a custom map) and i still dont agree anything if downloaded the mod ;)

Still there just redirect the connection from HIVE to a other SQL database and this isnt anything like reverse engineering

Edited by Suito

It's a mod, it was developed for the community. People aren't stealing anything.

Stop using the word legal/illegal when nothing is even legally enforced! Its an 'agreement'

sounds right to me only thing rocket can do is black list them from the hive but who gives a shit anyway.

They aren't connected to the hive anyway....

Rockets was upset about them, but seems his attitude has changed slightly with all the hacking going on. Basically hes seen that to keep DayZ:MOD alive private hives might be the way to go.

The base engines to weak against hackers.Theres also the argument that playing on a private hive means you aren't contributing data to the alpha, but thats a horseshit argument due to the fact the state the mod is in. A serious alpha test wouldn't have NO resets, etc.

Simply, Fanbois will hate you for it, but it has fuck all effect on the main hive so go for it, Most of the decent DayZ players have shifted to Lingor anyway.

Edited by Never

Because rocket made it his own personal wish, that the community doesn't alter DayZ from the way it is. And after him giving us this amazing mod and him working his ass off to keep improving it for OUR entertainment, I don't see why its so hard to give him something in return and just do what he asks.

Well it may be morally wrong to steal his code or play on private servers its not illegal and to be honest i don't care anymore. i'm bored of Dayz chernus dealing with hackers and douche bags has really killed it for me. But i have found salvation in playing lingor island on a private server its a lot of fun its something new but the map is just 100 times more fun to play. You can enter and loot 90 % of the buildings. there are a lot more barrack type buildings so even if you die its not hard to get another gun. its just been alot more fun for me.

While the mod assets themselves may belong to BIS, the code for DayZ is Rocket's, people who use private servers use Rocket's code without his permission.