Sign in to follow this  
Zoop

Are private servers technically illegal?

What the hell? Private Server just use the same Files as HIVE Servers (at all if u dont have a custom map) and i still dont agree anything if downloaded the mod ;)

Still there just redirect the connection from HIVE to a other SQL database and this isnt anything like reverse engineering

Its not that simple, you dont just set up an sql database and suddenly it "magically works". The hive has backend infastructure to actually make things work, for an unofficial hive to work, this has to be emualated or copied. Which is what they are doing. You dont need to agree to anything, at the point where someone writes 2 lines of code, that code is his, and stealing is is infringement.

While the mod assets themselves may belong to BIS, the code for DayZ is Rocket's, people who use private servers use Rocket's code without his permission.

Its public mod. He gave up all entitlement when he released it for free, to the community.

• Like 1

How come you private hive people spam the DayZ general with your threads.

Ok, I get it, you're perfectly fine with ripping off his code without permission, but stop adverticing your private rip-offs around here. That's just low.

Edited by Dallas

What the hell? Private Server just use the same Files as HIVE Servers (at all if u dont have a custom map) and i still dont agree anything if downloaded the mod ;)

Correct, you don't agree to anything, so per default, the laws of the specific jurisdiction apply, additionally, IPL, EU Law and other conventions and agreements will likely apply.

See, you don't have to be told that you are not allowed to share something like an MP3 or a graphics file, or use it to produce a derivative work. The laws of most countries in the world already state that. The added contract stuff you agree to on iTunes, Amazon or wherever is simply a restatement and a clarification on additional clauses you agree to. That doesn't change that there is, per default, a restriction on your use. Additionally, you do agree to stuff when downloading the mod and particularly the server files -- and just because this isn't called "EULA" does not mean it doesn't have the same force in a strictly legal sense.

All this doesn't mean these things are, in practice, enforceable, but you -- and many others on the Internet -- have a very naive view of law, domestic and international.

Still there just redirect the connection from HIVE to a other SQL database and this isnt anything like reverse engineering

That depends on the definition of reverse engineering of the specific jurisdiction we're talking about. The interpretations have classically been very wide, especially in the US.

Its public mod. He gave up all entitlement when he released it for free, to the community.

No he didnt lol, desk lawyer much? He released the "mod" not the "source" just because someone released their work does not mean its up for anyone to manipulate and release, the code is still his, and stealing it is infringement.

Its not that simple, you dont just set up an sql database and suddenly it "magically works". The hive has backend infastructure to actually make things work, for an unofficial hive to work, this has to be emualated or copied. Which is what they are doing. You dont need to agree to anything, at the point where someone writes 2 lines of code, that code is his, and stealing is is infringement.

Thats presuming that Rocket took any action to legally document hes the author on unique code. But due to the nature of the engine, and the fact hes given it away to a very large modding community, it'll be very hard to make a claim of ownership.

How come you private hive people spam the DayZ general with your threads.

Ok, I get it, you're perfectly fine with ripping off his code without permission, but stop adverticing your private rip-offs around here. That's just low.

Firstly, I don't run a private server, and secondly, I don't see anything in this thread that even remotely resembles advertising.

Also, whoever is forcing Dallas to read these threads, please stop.

• Like 1

No he didnt lol, desk lawyer much? He released the "mod" not the "source" just because someone released their work does not mean its up for anyone to manipulate and release, the code is still his, and stealing it is infringement.

Hes made some scripts for an open script engine. Also, hes borrowed a lot of content from other peoples mods. Backpacks, etc. and i'm pretty sure the dogs will be using a lot of scripting from another modders mod. So Rockets guilty of infringement as well by that standard.

Thats presuming that Rocket took any action to legally document hes the author on unique code. But due to the nature of the engine, and the fact hes given it away to a very large modding community, it'll be very hard to make a claim of ownership.

No, you dont need to take any legal action to legally document you are the auther. At the point where you write any code, it is rightfully yours, how can you not understand that? Its basic law.

Hes made some scripts for an open script engine. Also, hes borrowed a lot of content from other peoples mods. Backpacks, etc. and i'm pretty sure the dogs will be using a lot of scripting from another modders mod. So Rockets guilty of infringement as well by that standard.

No, Rocket stated he found inspiration in other mods. But the code of Day Z is 100% his, no code is taking from anywhere else, he infringes nothing.

Edited by Suspenselol

No, you dont need to take any legal action to legally document you are the auther. At the point where you write any code, it is rightfully yours, how can you not understand that? Its basic law.

See my last post.

Also, yes you do.

Example A & B are in court over claims of authorship.

A wrote the code

B didn't but has a document dated and countersigned that B wrote it.

Court will decide in Bs favour.

Edited by Never

I already responded to it, and again, you are wrong.

Backpack code is directly taken from another Mod/AddOn. In its entirety. Christ, thats one of the reason hes redesigning it for the standalone, because he borrowed code that just about does the job, to try out his mod. Hes stated that he borrowed the code wholesale.

There is a good reason why Rocket frowns upon private servers and single player versions of this mod, who owns the rights to wich code is not that good reason.

Read the interview in the last "Edge", but perhaps that is a bit to far fetched for some here on this forum because it requires comprehending reading.

Backpack code is directly taken from another Mod/AddOn. In its entirety. Christ, thats one of the reason hes redesigning it for the standalone, because he borrowed code that just about does the job, to try out his mod. Hes stated that he borrowed the code wholesale.

Have you looked at it yourself?

I specifically saw the interview where he spoke of this matter, he took inspiration in other mods, but wrote the code himself. If you somehow knows something he dont, then good for you, i cant really argue against that.

So I'm going to amuse everyone here who is so against this has never:

Used a torrent

Watched a bootleg movie

Downloaded a MP3

etc..

Don't bother answering that. I know there is not 1 person on these forums, mod or otherwise who really gives a damn about the morality of these type of things.. Please stop being fanboys guys. It makes you look really bad. I love this mod to and what Rocket has done just as much as you, but I'm not about to act like a phony and get all uptight about something we all have done. .

So I'm going to amuse everyone here who is so against this has never:

Used a torrent

Watched a bootleg movie

Downloaded a MP3

etc..

Don't bother answering that. I know there is not 1 person on these forums, mod or otherwise who really gives a damn about the morality of these type of things.. Please stop being fanboys guys. It makes you look really bad. I love this mod to and what Rocket has done just as much as you, but I'm not about to act like a phony and get all uptight about something we all have done. .

I don't think that's the question here. What you say may or may not be the case for everyone here -- and I certainly won't make any statement to that effect -- but that does not have any bearing on the legality of the actions you describe, nor on the hosting of private hives.

I'm fairly sure Rocket has recommended anyone that is making machinema should do so on private servers.