Jackftw

Take out .50 cals

Being sniped by random .50 cal ghillie gankers in DayZ is about as fun as being sniped by random AI's in ARMA - that is, not fun at all.

Keep sniper rifles but get rid of .50 cals. That would require snipers to actually have enough skill to hit a vital area in order to one shot, instead of just hitting you in the hand and killing you.

Exactly, I'd like them to be bolt action as well, make them require some ability.

There's one thing your missing with your logic behind the military bases being stripped and all. Chernarus is an island, so even IF the military bases were stripped of everything, said weapons, ammo, and supplies are still restrained to the confines of that island. The assumption here is that the players are the only survivors at the time of play. So any of the people who looted the military bases would either have to be one of the players, or a zombie at this point. So, again looking at it purely from a "realism" standpoint, .50 cals should be a potential zombie-drop item.

Great. Now there's a reason to kill zombies.

Edited by Dekartz

Honestly I'm for removing .50 cals. I loot peoples camps and in MY teams camp we have a good 15+ AS50's stocked up. If they're not removed I'd honestly like wind speed factored in that way COD kiddies with snipers have to do math which is clearly out of the range of their abilities.

• Like 1

K, drop it all. Get rid of every single piece of gear.

Run around with a hatchet, nothing else.

Lol, I ask to remove 2 weapons and this is what you reply with? lol

I'm partially for it. I think the .50's are nice weapons, but they are a little bit overpowered because they do so much freaking damage.

K, drop it all. Get rid of every single piece of gear.

Run around with a hatchet, nothing else.

Don't be a bitch, you know that's not what people are saying.

I think it's not about being realistic, it's about being authentic.

The military weapons should all be gone, already looted, along with all the good stuff. All that WOULD be left is the crappy guns that make survival well nigh impossible, because nobody actually wants them. Ask yourself, what would people behind you find after you really looted a place? Not much. We presume that this infection has been around for a while because there aren't many survivors (50) and the infection is literally everywhere. Unless it's a magic infection that infected everyone immediately, there's no way people wouldn't have run off with the good guns. Other survivors would have already looted the airfields and military camps.

From a mechanics standpoint, what FPS doesn't have the one shot kill badass sniper rifle of doom? However, in any good FPS there's also a counter to prevent it. In DayZ, everything is so open that snipers are less of a challenge, and more of a demigod. Now since loot can be cycled, duped, hacked in and the like, those demigod style weapons are commonplace.

Edited by Virfortis

This game is based on a zombie apocalypse which is unrealistic so your argument is invalid.

Honestly I say just take he out for the hell of it.

Do you really think some faggot in a gillie with an AS50 is hunting zombies?

130000+ blood damage = totally unnecessary.

I vote M24s, CZ550s, and M40A3s be the main sniper rifles of DayZ

Because you can't one hit people at 1000 meters away without a head-shot.

My guess Chernarus is in Russia or in Ukraine. Do they actually have 50. cal snipers?

Yeah they have the KSVK 12.7

This game is based on a zombie apocalypse which is unrealistic so your argument is invalid.

Well played sir.

• Like 1

I think the ammo should be very limited as it would be in this situation.

I also think that upon firing a .50cal, (which ya would hear from probably over a mile away) z's should be very attracted to it and come looking for you.

I think the ammo should be very limited as it would be in this situation.

I also think that upon firing a .50cal, (which ya would hear from probably over a mile away) z's should be very attracted to it and come looking for you.

Actually 50cal ammo is in massive surplus and would be found pretty much any military base.

Now mags, mags would be scarce. I think have 50cal "ammo" and 50cal "mags" where mags are really rare and take a long time to reload.

My guess Chernarus is in Russia or in Ukraine. Do they actually have 50. cal snipers?

It's a tongue-in-cheek copy of Belarus actually.

Actually 50cal ammo is in massive surplus and would be found pretty much any military base.

I was in the army, I know for a fact we didnt have any 50cal ammo on our camp, 5.56, 5.56 link and 7.62 link only :)

But even on my trip to afghan, in nadi ali we didn't even have enough 50cal ammo for our hmg.

Edited by tom_gr7

If there weren't any duping and helicopter crash sites were actually rare this wouldn't be such an issue. The rarity of the ammo alone at that point would make carrying and using one a difficult decision. Of course there is rampant duping and the crash sites aren't rare at all so everything in the game is extremely common. We have L85s, AS50s, NVGs, etc. coming out our ears. Just as often as the game takes one away in a bug it gives one back in a bug. Then of course there are the people we kill where it's obvious they found one of item A and then duped it so they all have them, we run out of places to stuff the crap very quickly.

Yup, exactly. I have one, I have one almost all the time yet I STILL think it should be removed. I'm a hardcore ''zombie fan'' and no good zombie film/book has ever involved people loling through towns and military camps/bases with AM rifles and suppressed weapons.

how many cd keys you had to buy to get those hacked items?

You saying I'm a hacker? If so....

Edited by Jackftw
  • Like 2

And then you realized the items that people dupe or hack-in can be looted by legit players. In their tents, their vehicles or even on their corpses...

Edited by Nucleqrwinter

Yes, because all the players with AS50's just found them in a barn two minutes into the game.

Well, due to scripters I keep finding them on bodies on the beach....

Edited by Buick72
  • Like 1

you clearly have never been in the military and there probably back story for the 50 cals getting there such as heli crashes or people been dropped in and about the ghillie suits i have a ghillie suit irl for hunting.

Sorry. Just had to comment on this.

So..... Out of this entire scenario the thing you find unrealistic is the military hardware on a previously military controlled island?! Really? Not the zombies? Or the morphine used to instantly heal bones? How about that everyone is wearing the same outfits? No? You've probably picked the most realistic feature about this whole situation that is the most closely grounded in reality to complain about. Lol

Well seeing how almost all the weapons that have been named are found in military helicopter crashes, yes it would be possible to find such items.

Also if duping and hacking wasn't such a problem, these weapons would add a fun element to the game because it would be the closest thing to "endgame" we have.

you clearly have never been in the military

Because its totally mandatory for people on the forums to be military veterans.

• Like 1