Jackftw

Take out .50 cals

I don't think a realism stance can be taken here. I mean, we're talking about a heavily fortified island-nation not having military rifles. Perhaps all of the weapons should be changed to appropriate former USSR equivalents, but that would just change the type of rifle people are complaining about.

Also, the idea that "looted" items magically disappear from the world is silly. Sure, military bases would be looted. But given that those looters aren't still running around, its safe to assume they either A. Escaped the island. or B. Got infected. A is a lot less likely than B. Especially if they were carrying heavy large-caliber rifles around.

This being primarily a sandbox game, you can't really enforce a "fun factor" so all I can really suggest as a way to balance the .50 cal rifles is to fix the duping issues.

Guns from another point of view is what gives some life to dayz :D

Why, so nobody can kill you in one shot before you disconnect?

Hate to say it, but this is why I almost exclusively use an AS50 for player killing. Unless you manage to pull off a headshot, people D/C FAST when getting shot at. A OSOK policy is really the only way to prevent this. Edited by Zexis

fuck it, everyone has to fight off zombies with axes and spoons! that should stop all the noobs crying!! so far i have an AS50 and M4 silenced and it has taken weeks of carefully getting about, killing hackers n bandits to achieve these lovely items!!

Either work for your goodies or please shut up and stop crying!

• Like 1

I agree to a downgrade on weaponry/equipment too, it does detract from the realism somewhat, i think camo should be in, but take guilles out, this is all opinion of course, however its in an alpha, so i think if your going to try it, do it now before the standalone. Ive had the most fun running around with a cz or enfield, an alice pack n civ or camo clothes, living off the land etc. But when you start getting high end military equipment it just ruins the immersion for me. Do russian/eastern europeans even use barretts? what is their equivalent? even the enfield probably doesnt belong in eastern europe but im not sure, replace them with ussr equivalents, and make them more rare, and increase farm/residential weapons.

In saying that though, it is designed with the arma2 engine hence the use of american guns etc, hopefully though, they look into this, and at least remove some of the high end stuff, thermal scopes and night vision scopes being a bit over kill imo.

at least remove some of the high end stuff, thermal scopes and night vision scopes being a bit over kill imo.

Its kinda needed as a counter against snipers... i mean i use thermals on the LA85 to check for any campers hiding away, doing so has saved me many times from walking into their traps!

To fix the overuse of the .50 cal snipers it would make sense to implement the ACE mod for dayz. For everyone that has not played with the ace mod ill describe it for you. Instead of worrying about slots in your backpack you have to worry about the weight of the items you carry. If you are carrying alot/heavy items in your inventory you will be weighed down and you will begin to run slower and drain your stamina faster (In dayz it could work so you also have to drink more). If you carry way to much, say about 100 kilos you would start to fall down while jogging and eventually pass out. Lighter = Easier. Backpacks cannot be filled with unlimited items though, they still have a volume cap, but to hit the cap would make your guy very slow and useless. For example in ACE i think a satchel charge weigh about 9 kilos, and a m4a1 4,5. Carrying around heavy items would not be ideal if you wanted to survive, it would make you rethink and plan your inventory and backpack.

The mod does some major overhauling which means that it would change alot more to the gameplay of dayz. (Read more about the mod here: http://www.armaholic...age.php?id=8602)

I think I read about rocket not planning on letting people use ACE until the beta (?), but the ACE mod really do make sense when striving for authenticity.

Edited by Emwyn
  • Like 5

Instead of worrying about slots in your backpack you have to worry about the weight of the items you carry. If you are carrying alot/heavy items in your inventory you will be weighed down and you will begin to run slower and drain your stamina faster.

This would be really cool actually, and would definitely balance players running around with pairs of high calibre rifles. I always hated how a naked survivor and a fully geared survivor ran at the same speed.

Assuming someone hasn't taken them already. I mean come on, I can't be the only one who think's its ridiculous that in a zombie apocalypse there are people running around in ghillie suits with NVG's, M107's/AS50's M9SD's and all this crazy military gear. It's just taking away from the zombie apocalyptic atmosphere.

You are just mad cuz you don't have any.

The only reason they are so common is because of how ridiculously easy it is to accidentally and purposefully dupe in this game. The AS50 at least is a very rare rifle and is hard to find, unless you are searching for tents in the Wilderness far up north... or in tent camps in arbitrary forests in the game.

If there was no duping and the ammo was just as rare, so working as intended, you would simply not see them as often at all.

I managed to accidentely dupe an entire tent o.O. We took all the stuff out to shift it to a new location, packed the same tent then moved it and the next day both the old and new tent were there with all the gear we just moved

For people complaining about the TYPE of weapons present... May I remind you of this obvious fact that you are all missing:

Chernarus is supposed to be a part of NATO, and use a lot of NATO gear, as well as Russian gear and vehicles. Finding high end NATO style weaponry in their bases would NOT be out of place. In fact, for all the people saying "you wouldn't find this much shit", stop for just a moment and think.

Do you think in the event of a zombie apocalypse weapons, equipment, etc, would spontaneously disappear? No. It would be either in the hands of some person, or laying somewhere. Even if it was six months AFTER the apocalypse, the weapons would still be laying around. If anything, from a realism standpoint, there's not ENOUGH Shit laying around. In the USA there's HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS of firearms! In my house alone, there are two shot guns and four rifles. In one friend's house there are three or four handguns, and a four or five rifles/shotguns. If I start tallying up JUST the people I know in and around my town, I quickly turn up DOZENS of firearms, not counting knives, swords, etc. Every house isn't going to have a weapon, no. But A LOT of them will. In a country that doesn't have civilian carry, it just means the weapons would be concentrated in LARGE quantities in and around military bases, camps, and battlegrounds.

So.... Enough.

they come from downed choppers. who knows where the choppers originated? stupid post

It's a fucking zombie apocalypse in the middle of some random shitty country/area. You're not going to be finding anti-material rifles just laying around.

Actually they're found on military bases and in downed helicopters, not just laying around on the ground in random spots. I think someone got sniped and is a little but hurt. It's ok cupcake, you can spawn and try again.

• Like 1

Actually they're found on military bases and in downed helicopters, not just laying around on the ground in random spots. I think someone got sniped and is a little but hurt. It's ok cupcake, you can spawn and try again.

You're trying way too hard to look good, and no I didn't get sniped because AFTER I made the OP I uploaded a picture of my current inventory, so GG. I'm sorry that I feel like giving my feedback and suggestions to rocket, and the forums to discuss. If you don't agree with what I'm saying, tell me in a reasonable fashion, not like a prepubescent 12 year old 4chan douche.

• Like 1

Yea while we're at it we might just get rid of Pistols too.

Yeah lets also take out anything automatic that takes away from the immersion as well.

I`ve given three people my beans because the posed points I agree with.

Going to quote Rocket.

http://dayzmod.com/f...__20#entry67114

Please read this, and have a nice day. :)

My post has nothing to do with balance issues...

My post has nothing to do with balance issues...

Using "immersion" to cover the fact you more likely than not are just complaining about them because of gameplay.

There are multiple factors to put in that makes .50s not that unrealistic, such as Chernarus is a post-soviet state with obvious military capacity, along with the military coming in to destroy the zombie threat.

Edited by Tarkastio

Assuming someone hasn't taken them already. I mean come on, I can't be the only one who think's its ridiculous that in a zombie apocalypse there are people running around in ghillie suits with NVG's, M107's/AS50's M9SD's and all this crazy military gear. It's just taking away from the zombie apocalyptic atmosphere.

You haven´t got much imagination. Too bad for you.

It could be removed if there wasn't the Alt-F4 issue, but I honestly don't even bother trying to kill people these days unless I can kill them in one shot, otherwise I know I probably won't get the kill.

Edited by Trickster