JulieMeyers

Please, DONT add a bandit-indicator in this patch

I see Bandit skins or identification as a correction to unrealistic limitations which are unavoidable by the very nature of online gaming.

-A player base which is bigger than the surviving population of chernarussia should be (making it impossible to have a realistic reputation system).

-Ruthless attacking without fear of consequences (you gonna spawn again anyway).

-A chance to play outside of clans and out of game communities (which is unrealistic because the Z-plague or "infection" would not conveniently spare all your buddys),bringing in some of the Z-movie authenticity we all know (no FFA everyone shoots everyone).

-A crude substitute for better recognition ,facial identification ,gestures ,height ,bodytype and so on.

While I agree that its kind of unrealistic a lot of games and mods have the problem that online gamers do not behave realistic.

For example the exelent Project Reality goes out of its way to promote realistic behaviour with unrealistic limitations and overall the mod benifits greatly from that,

I think bandit skins are a good solution lets face it they dont prevent bandits from playing like the want but on the other hand the lack of identification now prevents alot of survivors to play like they want to.

Is it perfect? No but I find skillfull scams and survivor spies for the bandit gang in the woods alot more interesting than instant shootouts

(not that we wouldnt have them still but maybe a litle less than now).

• Like 3

While I am frustrated with the amount of pointless KOS'ing and snipers spawn camping the poor newbies.

I AM concerned that bandit-indicators will take away a major factor of tension and suspense that comes with not knowing.

with that said, I have no freaking idea how to find a balance between the two, it will be impossible to find a system everybody is happy with. But I am eager to see what will come of it. and I trust the devs will fix anything that goes too horribly wrong.

But for now, I embrace the testing and experimentation!

Look at us still talking when there is more alpha testing to do! :D

• Like 1

Isn't that pretty much how it would be in real life? You think in a real zombie apocalypse I'm going to have an indicator that pops up if I'm a killer? No, you're going to assume everyone you come across is dangerous and not to be trusted...

yea but in real life every one is not a psycho and will not shoot you on sight and let me tell you that people would more likely unite in small groups and then do gangs war Edited by BoudhaBanana

I've noticed since the bandit hat was removed, dayz became a "shoot first, ask friendly later" scenario....

I've noticed since the bandit hat was removed, dayz became a "shoot first, ask friendly later" scenario....

Because that's the most logical outcome when it comes to a change like that. Not everyone would play the game the way Rocket'd play it or play it like he would at all.

80% (probably more) of the people aren't morally struggling with themselves after shooting someone in a game like he would.

I think Rocket thought too much of us as a community when he removed it and he probably aknowledges that now since he's reintroducing the idea behind it.

I agree with you on almost everything JulieMeyers but sadly the DayZ community as a whole forces these kind of changes upon the game because the majority

doesn't play it as immersed as you do.

After playing this game and thinking about Rocket's "experiment" into human nature, all I can say is that I have definitely learned something.

In a zombie apocalypse where:

• The internet works.
  • You can organize teams offline.
  • You can turn on magical radios to communicate with people over infinite distances.
  • Everybody is the same height and weight.
  • You can leap into an alternate reality if you're stuck in a gunfight...
  • Or to get at slightly different resources...
  • Which you looked up with your up extremely detailed maps that tell you where all of those resources are.
  • You know exactly where new people are going to appear and know that they have no weapons.
  • There is no such thing as body language and everyone can bluff perfectly.
  • When you die the only thing that happens is that you lose whatever you were carrying in your pockets.
  • Pistols sting, shotguns are painful, but sniper rifles are superlasers with perfect accuracy that make you explode....

People will grab sniper rifles and kill unarmed people over and over again.

A fascinating experiment...

it is a good idea. there is no trust building in the game anymore its kill everyone. except for the people in your TS or vent. Back in the day when there was bandidts you knew who you could trust or not trust. however some times people would become a bandit due to self defence. if so they would tell people they were friendly so this is building trust. some times you would see a survivor who was a bandit but no longer a bandit and he would trick people in to meeting them and kill them till he became bandit skin again.

as for people adding real life indicators in the game and it shouldn;t be done because its no realistic. Ummmm zombies are not real. a m1911 would fucking near kill you if hit. 7.62 can pierce kevlar body armour so you think it would really take 6 rounds to kill someone?

in real life you can run and shoot on the move,

nothing about arma is realistic. try playing americas army 3 for a more realistic. simulators are not fun thats why people dont play them. just like VBS

it should be a choice. If I killed people for supplies I would want to dress like a bandit :P

Some people might not and they shouldn't be forced to wear a bandit skin

the people who winge about being indicated as a bandit are people who are bandits themselves. they dont want to be labled because if they are then people know if they want to kill them or not. you see a bandit and you think ahh yes i want to kill this guy. you see a survivor and you think nah i wont kill him cos i will become a bandit then.

if there is a change like this bandits lose the advantage which they have now. now they kill anyone and they are happy. survivors only want to kill bandits. if its changed bandits will lose the advantage for a useless kill count

• Like 1

as for people adding real life indicators in the game and it shouldn;t be done because its no realistic. Ummmm zombies are not real. a m1911 would fucking near kill you if hit. 7.62 can pierce kevlar body armour so you think it would really take 6 rounds to kill someone?

Probably. Don't confuse the velocity and penetration of a bullet with its stopping power. They're mostly unrelated.

depending on the size of a round. I mean a 9mm pistol round is bigger then a 7.62 but weapons like an AK47 which is 7.72. who do you think will die forst in a fire fight? 9mm is accurate for 25m, AK is for 300. most 5.56 100 standard zeroing. size of the chell makes the diference.

I don't like a change in skins. He needs to over hall a lot imo because this is a waist of time if its an expirement. Rocket needs to look more into giving a value to life, like he said in an interview. Ie if you break your leg, you can splint it, but a nurse or doctor or something can fix it, thus making players want to work together more often. Also you can get bandit skins in self defense, which makes good people look bad.

F that. We need SOMETHING to identify an assho......er bandit. Just SOMETHING! Skin, hat, tears in clothing, tattoos, whatever. I've got a ton of rounds that I've carved the letter X into the tips of just waiting for you motherf.... er, bandits. I've suck up behind you pieces of tra... err bandits many times and not shot................................WHY YOU MIGHT ASK????

BECAUSE YOU LOOK LIKE MY FUCKING TWIN!!!!

...thats a problem. that needs to be changed. I can't and won't group or communicate out of fear of getting backstabbed by some guys laughing his ass off to his teamspeak buddies (as i've seen on the youtube). So as it is, the game discourages cooperative play and even communication. That sucks and thats pretty major.

MAN THE FUCK UP AND TAKE YOUR FUCKING BANDIT SKIN YOU GOD DAMN PUSSY BANDITS, THE TENSION PROVIDED BY NOT KNOWING WHO IS WHAT IS OVERRATED.

• Like 1

F that. We need SOMETHING to identify an assho......er bandit. Just SOMETHING! Skin, hat, tears in clothing, tattoos, whatever. I've got a ton of rounds that I've carved the letter X into the tips of just waiting for you motherf.... er, bandits. I've suck up behind you pieces of tra... err bandits many times and not shot................................WHY YOU MIGHT ASK????

...thats a problem. that needs to be changed. I can't and won't group or communicate out of fear of getting backstabbed by some guys laughing his ass off to his teamspeak buddies (as i've seen on the youtube). So as it is, the game discourages cooperative play and even communication. That sucks and thats pretty major.

MAN THE FUCK UP AND TAKE YOUR FUCKING BANDIT SKIN YOU GOD DAMN PUSSY BANDITS, THE TENSION PROVIDED BY NOT KNOWING WHO IS WHAT IS OVERRATED.

I am really curious how you're going to feel once a guy wearing a hero-skin backstabs you. Nothing will change. If you got much better stuff than him and he is only one gunshot away from having it - guess what's going to happen?

Asking people to trust eachother in DayZ is like asking people on Youtube to be nice to eachother.

Edited by JulieMeyers
  • Like 1

the thing is people in a hero skin wont kill a friendly person because he has chosen not to be a PKer and play the game as more a survival game with other survivors. not playing the game like its COD or battlefield

rG0cG.gif

everyone who says this is a complete idiot.

dayZ is a game. yes it is also a mod of arma II, those two concepts are not mutually exclusive. if you don't think dayz is a computer game you are a moron. does DOTA not count as a game since it was originally a mod? you may have heard of a little half life mod made by minh lee, its called counter strike. is that not a game?

You're the idiot, the reason people say it's a mod not a game, is because it is rely's on the Arma II engine. He can't just change the entire Arma engine to fix something for his mod... you just have to wait untill he comes out with the standalone, aka THE GAME. Thanks for playing though.

• Like 1

Cry moar, your latent nerd-rage makes me wanna guess that you spend 90% of your time in this game getting farmed. Which is likely because you don't have the brains to quit walking into Cherno like a lemming. Learn to play the game instead of expecting it to get easier for you... or go back to WoW where that kinda mentality is coddled.

Because that's the most logical outcome when it comes to a change like that. Not everyone would play the game the way Rocket'd play it or play it like he would at all.

80% (probably more) of the people aren't morally struggling with themselves after shooting someone in a game like he would.

I think Rocket thought too much of us as a community when he removed it and he probably aknowledges that now since he's reintroducing the idea behind it.

I agree with you on almost everything JulieMeyers but sadly the DayZ community as a whole forces these kind of changes upon the game because the majority

doesn't play it as immersed as you do.

You really think people are going to get close enough to see if you have a bandit mask on before they open fire anyway?

he does have a point if you know what he means. I mean everyone looks the same so how do you know if they are friendly or not. how many times have you been killed without someone asking you if your friendly. how many people have you killed without asking if he is friendly. its just the same as COD but with zombies and you got to spend ages running around looking for people to kill. for no reason

the thing is people in a hero skin wont kill a friendly person because he has chosen not to be a PKer and play the game as more a survival game with other survivors. not playing the game like its COD or battlefield

The problem about players killing other players is not just that simple. A skin will not "fix" it. Players will always kill other players for fun, for loot, by accident etc. Right now a lot of people are doing it simply because there are no other things to do once you've got your end-game gear setup.

That's not what the thread is about though. It's simply about the indicator and how it could be made in a different way.

Edit: It's not even a problem to be honest. It's part of the game and without murderous bandits the game would be nothing but a numb AI-zombiehunt.

Edited by JulieMeyers

I want to be able to tell who is a bandit or not so this game can become more social rather than shooting on site. In real life you have a conscience that stops you from flat out killing other people, however this is only a game so it doesn't apply. So Dayz needs a mechanic to do this for us so we can actually make friends in the game rather than having to shoot on site because we cannot tell of their intentions.

• Like 2

You really think people are going to get close enough to see if you have a bandit mask on before they open fire anyway?

not a bandit mask a bandit skin. months ago this was in place and you knew who were feiendly 70% of the time. some friendlys would still kill you because they wanted to be a bandit. once humanity went - they get a camo skin.

Humanity is still in place in the game. if you get a murder you killed a friendly. if you get a bandit kill you killed a bandit. you just cant tell them apart anymore

The problem about players killing other players is not just that simple. A skin will not "fix" it. Players will always kill other players for fun, for loot, by accident etc. Right now a lot of people are doing it simply because there are no other things to do once you've got your end-game gear setup.

That's not what the thread is about though. It's simply about the indicator and how it could be made in a different way.

if you played months ago you would know how much difference it makes trust me. it actually gave you more of a thrill. you would see a bandit and knew he would kill you. you would help people who were not a bandit if you wanted to. unlike now where you see someone you know he will want to kill you for sure and there is no oh he is friendly skin he might not kill me so i wont kill him, I wont kill him cos I dont want to have bandit skin.

It made so much difference

if you played months ago you would know how much difference it makes trust me. it actually gave you more of a thrill. you would see a bandit and knew he would kill you. you would help people who were not a bandit if you wanted to. unlike now where you see someone you know he will want to kill you for sure and there is no oh he is friendly skin he might not kill me so i wont kill him, I wont kill him cos I dont want to have bandit skin.

It made so much difference

I hear you. I dont have a problem with indicators. I've said that quite a few times now. I just dont like the way they're being implemented. Read my suggestion in the first post. This is the "suggestion forum" after all.