Sign in to follow this  
ajrunke03@gmail.com

So, how is Arma II?

I only player kill now. Zombies are just a little minor distraction. I spawn, run until I field food, soda and a Lee Enfield. Then I post up on one of many roof tops in Cherno. I then proceed to kill and collect the victim's loot. Eventually I'll get some good equipment. It's far more enjoyable to player kill than anything else in DayZ....soooo I was wondering, is Arma II similar at all? Do you need to forage for supplies? Is there permanent death? If not, I want a game that is DayZ just without the zombies.

On a side note: I camped with my Enfield in Cherno and happened to spot a sniper decked out in a ghillie suit atop one of the tallest structures in Cherno. I lined up my Enfield and took him out. I then raided his body and he had everything. An AS50, rangfinder, GPS, M4...it was amazing and to think I collected all this stuff only about 15 minutes after spawning. It was great.

Sound like quite the expert marksman =P But i accuttaly don't know about Arma 2 either! I have heard it is very fun but hard at the same time though

Multiplayer is fun as balls. Just find a server running a mission like insurgency or something. I used to play on the Butcher Bay server a lot until they got hack attacked. The single player campaigns have a lot of long winded exposition and lots of "run here, now run there, now run here." I didn't have the patience to sit through it all.

Edited by Dingus

It really depends on what kind of server you play on... Some have respawn, some dont. You dont scrounge for supplies, because it's a military simulation so you'll most likely spawn with all the equipement you need / could ever dream of -- except in servers where you need to "level up" by killing AI/raiding cities/killing players. There's also Takistani life, which is basically living in Takistan with players playing the roles of police, civilians and even terrorists. In the game you earn money, buy stuff like cars, helis, weapons, etc.

Most of Arma 2 servers include tactical military simulation play, but due to its nature, modding enables infinite range of different kind of gameplay -- such as Day Z.

Edited by Snugglez

ARMA II is not like DayZ mod at all, where game experience is concerned.

You'll have to look elsewhere for a PvP element like in this mod without zombies. ;3

Most of Arma 2 servers include tactical military simulation play

Yeah, I like to play in servers that have actual rank structured and someone is giving commands and leading their squad. It feels really cool to work as a unit like that rather than watching your k/d ratio.

If all you want to do is is PvP, please, I beg you, do not play regular ArmA II. You will only end up pissing everyone on the server off, and potentially getting yourself banned. If you want to learn about ArmA II, and what it has to offer, play the single-player campaign. It's fun, and you will learn how to play.

If all you want to do is is PvP, please, I beg you, do not play regular ArmA II. You will only end up pissing everyone on the server off, and potentially getting yourself banned. If you want to learn about ArmA II, and what it has to offer, play the single-player campaign. It's fun, and you will learn how to play.

The guys on butcher Bay were nice enough not to trash me for being a newbie there. They showed me the ropes, but I was willing to learn as well.

Also, don't fly something if you can't. Most servers will flat out ban people for derping an A10 into the ground just outside the runway. I know I can't fly that shit and I don't bother.

If you like the tactical flavor of pvp in DayZ, you'll like the base game of ArmA even more. As far as realistic, tactical pvp goes, it can't be matched. DayZ's pvp is something of a watered-down version of it.

Edited by jonahcutter
  • Like 1

1. Practise flying offline. :)

• Like 1

One of the reasons Dayz is a little glitchy is that you're playing in the most zoomed-in possible form of the game, a single infantryman. It's like playing as a marine in Starcraft, you're seeing an itty-bitty cross section of what the game is. Depending on your taste, you can get into some pretty incredible situations in Arma. I used to play the multiplayer Armory from time to time, and it's funny to have a guy in a fighter jet, three riflemen and a dude driving an APC and see what the game whips up as a scenario for you.

I only player kill now. Zombies are just a little minor distraction. I spawn, run until I field food, soda and a Lee Enfield. Then I post up on one of many roof tops in Cherno. I then proceed to kill and collect the victim's loot. Eventually I'll get some good equipment. It's far more enjoyable to player kill than anything else in DayZ....soooo I was wondering, is Arma II similar at all? Do you need to forage for supplies? Is there permanent death? If not, I want a game that is DayZ just without the zombies.

On a side note: I camped with my Enfield in Cherno and happened to spot a sniper decked out in a ghillie suit atop one of the tallest structures in Cherno. I lined up my Enfield and took him out. I then raided his body and he had everything. An AS50, rangfinder, GPS, M4...it was amazing and to think I collected all this stuff only about 15 minutes after spawning. It was great.

arma is military service simulator. no there are no lonewolfing bandits in any military of the world.. are you kidding?!?!?!

The Operation Arrowhead addon or the stock Arma2 is great. You just have to filter down through the DayZ servers to find other servers. There is Co-op mode which is very simulated military tactics of human team against AI. There is the regular human vs. human combat servers (not many of those around these days... just filter for "C5" They play every night and are a mature gaming group been around for years).

There are also some other mods for Arma2 out there, RPG mods like Takistan Life etc where you play civilian or police or gang and try to make a living "by the rules" etc.

Good multiplayer human vs human and no AI. Good mature gameplay with a group that has been playing for years is what most long term Arma2 servers are.

Arma2 is a very realistic military sim. DayZ is a great mod but the best parts of Arma2 can't be used in DayZ (great cooperative combat, the infantry calling in the bombing strike from the A10 overhead etc....) Arma2 was never meant for the gameplay that DayZ uses; the single guy on the ground with no support, communication or armour/air backup.

Try it out, but play some of the training and single player first just to get an idea of how it and the controls work.

Edited by Slyder73

arma is military service simulator. no there are no lonewolfing bandits in any military of the world.. are you kidding?!?!?!

It's not a military service sim, it's a military battle sim

Start a MP game LAN. Select Cherno as the map and Super Powers as the mission. When you get in the match vote for the AI as the commander, unless you want to try that yourself. Best to do the tuts first. I didn't even know this element existed in Arma. Reminds me a great deal of the first time I played the BF1942 demo being dropped in El Alamein and not really knowing what to do while seeing all this stuff going on around you, but on a much grander scale. Awesome way to pass the time. Create your own squad, give them orders. Buy weapons, vehicles, or aircraft if you've captured an airbase. Set up how many cities you have to capture to win, or find their HQ and destroy it, preferably in an A-10. Cool stuff.

Arma 2 is great. I suggest you play some Warfare servers. Their abit hard to get your head around at first but when you get used to it its really great.

Start an online/LAN match and select the 08 Coop mission on Chernarus... It randomly selects a bunch of planes, heli's, weapons and vehicles for you to mess around with. Quite a lot of fun with a few friends. Also great way to test things out that are hard to get in DayZ such as heli's and high end weapons.

why would you ask and not just fucking try it?

so far multiplayer wise I prefer project reality which is strictly PvP, some other arma 2... well a lot actually, seems to be PvE. It aint great, domination is dull due to the AI.

If you go project reality, get in a squad and try and learn from the others, there is a steep learning curve.

ARMA II is not like DayZ mod at all, where game experience is concerned.

You'll have to look elsewhere for a PvP element like in this mod without zombies. ;3

This is exactly what I want. I think the zombies in Day Z ruin it (yeah gimme a sec). At this point the zombies are so broken and buggy I do not find any enjoyment out of them what so ever. What I want is a game/version like Day Z where you have to collect loot, weapons etc, set in a urban environment (that map with all open buildings) with the main focus on PvP less on survival. Preferably there would be less open 'waste' area. I read somewhere about these non-hive servers like this but I'm in Australia for one (don't think there will be any) and don't know how to get on these servers.

(If anyone knows how they should totally tell me :) )

This is exactly what I want. I think the zombies in Day Z ruin it (yeah gimme a sec). At this point the zombies are so broken and buggy I do not find any enjoyment out of them what so ever. What I want is a game/version like Day Z where you have to collect loot, weapons etc, set in a urban environment (that map with all open buildings) with the main focus on PvP less on survival. Preferably there would be less open 'waste' area. I read somewhere about these non-hive servers like this but I'm in Australia for one (don't think there will be any) and don't know how to get on these servers.

(If anyone knows how they should totally tell me :) )

Then you are looking to play the Zargabad Life or Takistan Life mods. Similiar to DayZ as far as the build it up and survive is concerned but no zombies. They are both set in urban plus rural environments where you choose to be the law enforcement side or the civilian side who tries to make a legitimate living fishing or farming and trading or mining etc....or harvesting and selling drugs and running guns and all that goes with that. The police enforce the law and are supposed to jail the criminals when caught and protect the civilians who are not criminals....and all the drama that goes with it.

Quite fun, but the social experiment element is lacking I find. The "rules" that are inherent in these mods make them hard to find a working server unless lots of impartial admins are on. DayZ at least has no rules, everything is player created, the gameplay, the "economy", factions, groups etc (granted none of DayZ is working well right now because of the hack/script epidemic but the spirit is there).

There is the good and bad, try it out and let everyone know what you think.

Edited by Slyder73

Hmm, sounds interesting, I'm not so interested in the social aspects I kinda just want to get into intense CQC firefights, but with the whole 'having to find food, water, bandages, morphine and weapons" kinda thing. Know anything like that? :P!!

Hmm, sounds interesting, I'm not so interested in the social aspects I kinda just want to get into intense CQC firefights, but with the whole 'having to find food, water, bandages, morphine and weapons" kinda thing. Know anything like that? :P!!

That is all the rest of Arma2.

Just browse the servers. Filter out DayZ and you get all the military combat servers.