Jeff (DayZ)

Food and water being used offline

Count me as part of the camp that believes nothing at all should happen to your character while offline.

As it is, I try to make sure I have some food and water on me before logging off, but I've been bitten despite that, and lost an 8+ hour streak to this issue combined with lack of server stability and weird saving glitches. (I logged in, ate, drank, then got dc'd, and immediately relogged to find myself starving and dehydrated again, but without any food on me and none in the town I was next to. I spent my last 5-10 minutes desperately scavenging, finding nothing.)

I guess I'm the sole voice of insanity, but...

I'm constantly rolling in beans and soda. I don't know what to do with it all. I'm always eating even if I'm at full blood, just because I need to make room in my pack for ammo and food is less of an issue than bullets for me. I know the next barn or stable will have something for me if I get hungry again.

Consuming items while offline was stupid, but hunger and thirst dropping is pretty much a non-issue unless you were stupid enough to log off without anything in your pack.

Don't nerf the game just because you can't plan ahead by an hour.

So' date=' to those that want to nerf the game even more... suck less?

[/quote']

That is a terrible response.

As for me, considering that many of us have real lives that may keep us away from gaming for days at a time, food and water should not be used while you are logged off.

Agree, I'm about to get this game and get into it. I don't want to invest time in a game which will kill my character and wipe my status, when I'm actually living my proper life. I have commitments, we all have.

Food and Water shouldn't be used while offline.

To balance this I propose than when you log back it you have to eat and drink, though your not starving and thirsty and likely to die in moments.

Just keep food and water on you at all times. That's the point of survival.

Why are you logging out without food and water? Dying of hunger is just as valid as dying from zombies.

Dying of hunger is just as valid as dying from zombies.

So why then can't the zombies eat you while you're offline? Zombies should be able to find your apparently resting body and devour it. If you log back in and have no leg, tough titty toenails, I say (sarcastically).

edit: Having to immediately apply a bandage and inject morphine on login is as valid as having to immediately eat and drink. Might as well just completely reset each character whenever you log off at that point.

I think it's a nice feature. Think of the time you are logged out as your character being asleep, so in a way it's realistic to be more hungry and thirsty when you come back.

Finding food and water in dayZ is not very hard, so just make sure you always have at least one food and one drink item in your inventory before you log out.

I agree the levels could go down, but it shouldnt be able to kill a character while offline.

That makes it impossible to be away due to work or such and i dont like that idea.

Low levels yes, and its forces us to find food when logging back on if we dont have reserves in our backpack.

Finding food and water in dayZ is not very hard' date=' so just make sure you always have at least one food and one drink item in your inventory before you log out.

[/quote']

The problem at the moment is that the game is so bugged in it's current alpha state that there's no guarantee of that being enough of a precaution. It's a precaution I always take, yet I've still been screwed over by a one-two punch of this mechanic and the save bug.

I agree the levels could go down' date=' but it shouldnt be able to kill a character while offline.[/quote']

Can you actually die while offline? I thought you can only get low levels, but not die.

Can you actually die while offline? I thought you can only get low levels' date=' but not die.

[/quote']

I think you're right about that, don't know what these other folks are talking about.

Stop that.

Just because I couldn't get to my computer today does not mean I should be penalized ingame.

Please remove this in the next patch. This is silly. I can understand persistence and abuse with logging to prevent death' date=' but it still is a mechanic that punishes you for not playing, and that's -bad-.

I don't care if you lose it faster when you actually play, or whatever other things happen. You should -not- be penalized when not playing the game.

[/quote']

I strongly agree. Similarly, one should not be punished for only being able to play at local nighttime.

DayZ breaks a lot of conventions, and many of them are good. But these two in particular are more than half bad for the game as it is.

I'd like to see a reduction in offline resource usage. I've died twice because I can't login daily.

How exactly does this system work? Because I played for the first time last night after a WEEK of not logging in and my guy was on the verge of starvation and dehydration, but I had all my food/water still with me. Didn't cause a problem, although I can see how it would when you spawn with nothing.

There shouldn't be any food or water consumed offline imo. This is just silly. Your character shouldn't require food or water offline either.

I guess I'm the sole voice of insanity' date=' but...

I'm constantly rolling in beans and soda. I don't know what to do with it all. I'm always eating even if I'm at full blood, just because I need to make room in my pack for ammo and food is less of an issue than bullets for me. I know the next barn or stable will have something for me if I get hungry again.

Consuming items while offline was stupid, but hunger and thirst dropping is pretty much a non-issue unless you were stupid enough to log off without anything in your pack.

Don't nerf the game just because you can't plan ahead by an hour.

[/quote']

thing is i cant always plan as to when i have to log off, real life always comes first and unexpected things happens.

I would just like an update from rocket on this issue.

There shouldn't be any food or water consumed offline imo. This is just silly. Your character shouldn't require food or water offline either.

None of the food or water is consumed when you are offline. You'll spawn with exactly same inventory as you had when you last disconnected. Only your hunger and thirst will increase while you are offline, and if you have been offline for a long time you'll be starving when you reconnect. Not a problem as long as you have some food and drink in your inventory when you log off, so you can eat and drink when you come back. Your character won't die while you are offline.

NO FOOD OR WATER IS CONSUMED OFFLINE

PERIOD.

All that happen currently is that your thirst and hunger decrease offline until the red blinking state and then stay there.

So all the planning you have to do is to have at least 1 food and 1 drink on you for the next time you log back on.

NO FOOD OR WATER IS CONSUMED OFFLINE

PERIOD.

All that happen currently is that your thirst and hunger decrease offline until the red blinking state and then stay there.

So all the planning you have to do is to have at least 1 food and 1 drink on you for the next time you log back on.

thing is i cant always plan as to when i have to log off, real life always comes first and unexpected things happens.

thats the problem.

Thirst and hunger really shouldn't decrease while offline, its like your being punished for not playing the game.

If it has to stay that way they need to change the rate they decrease, Rocket is shooting for realism in server time yet my character gets hungry/thirsty again every 30 minutes, it makes no sense a character should be able to go for like 6-10 hours especially when aware of survival situation and rationing supplies.

That would make the degrading hunger/thirst while offline a little more bearable imo as it stands right now its broken.

thing is i cant always plan as to when i have to log off' date=' real life always comes first and unexpected things happens.

thats the problem.

[/quote']

That's why you should always keep some food and drinks with you. If you notice in-game that you have no food or drinks in your inventory/backpack, your highest priority should be to acquire some.

I personally make sure I always have at least 2 food items and 2 sodas/full water bottles with me all the time. Most of the time I don't even need to use these items, as I drink and eat while I'm looting.

Thirst and hunger really shouldn't decrease while offline' date=' its like your being punished for not playing the game.

If it has to stay that way they need to change the rate they decrease, Rocket is shooting for realism in server time yet my character gets hungry/thirsty again every 30 minutes, it makes no sense a character should be able to go for like 6-10 hours especially when aware of survival situation and rationing supplies.

[/quote']

This is funny. I feel like doing some maths today, but I'm terrible at it, so bear with me.

The average male requires 2000 calories a day, but that's assuming that you're in moderately good shape and don't exercise regularly.

A physically fit man will average about 8 miles an hour while running, or 12 kilometers, which is about the length of the south coast of Chernarus. Easily and often done, especially when I'm running from hordes of zombies. The math here is a little fuzzy because we're stretching it out over a lengthier play session, but an hour of running at this rate will burn around 1100 calories. Unless you're camped out in Cherno sniping newbies or driving everwhere, this will be fairly close to your hourly consumption rate. Everyone runs everywhere. I've yet to see a man walking between towns.

So using the Mayoclinic.com's calorie calculator, we find that a man that is 28 years old, 6 feet in height, and weighing 195 pounds with a very active lifestyle (about the average US soldier, or the average Chernarus survivor) will require at LEAST 3400 calories. (I knew some guys in the Marines who couldn't get by without at least 4000 calories a day, but they were trucks.)

Average can of pork and beans found in my pantry: 280 calories.

(Some food will last you farther, such as ligo sardines, which are 450 calories, or a 12oz steak off of an animal at about 650 calories, but we'll go with beans since they seem to be the most plentiful.) That means that you will need to consume a little under 13 cans of beans over a 16 hour period (the average waking day) in order to keep your body in equilibrium. That comes out to about a little under a can an hour, which is about what I've experienced in game.

Is the current system perfect? Not quite. I think some food needs to keep you full longer instead of just filling a quota and counting down. But it's pretty damn close. In the real zombie apocalypse, you will not go 6-10 hours without so much as a can of beans and just be able to brush it off.

TL: DR-

Everyone wakes up hungry. It's why we have breakfast in the morning.

This is a hardcore survival mod for a hardcore mil-sim. You have to be willing to put in the work in order to live.

Those that want hunger/thirst to stop going down while offline don't actually want this game. They want a zombie sandbox game, which is not what this mod is about. Go play Left 4 Dead some more.