Jeff (DayZ)

Food and water being used offline

Carebears the lot of you. It's not like you can die while offline.

no, but i can starve when i log in, lost in the woods after being chased. and no, i cant always plan so that i log off with food and water, i cant always plan when i need to log off

Im fine with the cold system, at least you dont get cold from being offline

Do you STILL get hungry and thirsty when offline? seriously?

I can only play on weekends as I study and work, so I have to make a new character everytime I play as I will day on each login?

Do you STILL get hungry and thirsty when offline? seriously?

I can only play on weekends as I study and work' date=' so I have to make a new character everytime I play as I will day on each login?

[/quote']

You dont die directly. You will have several minutes on you too eat and drink before you start to slowly lose blood.

When logging out just make sure you have atleast 1 food item and 1 drink item. It's really not that hard since there is a huge amount of food in the world.

Oh, this makes things better.

usually food and cokes are really common, so I guess it won't be a problem.

Should I buy it on steam for 30$ or amazon for 15$?

People always say steam is easier.

When logging out just make sure you have atleast 1 food item and 1 drink item. It's really not that hard since there is a huge amount of food in the world.

how many times do i have to say it. i cant always plan when and how to logg out, real life comes in the way and i have to log out in middle of the wood, no water/food and i starve when i log in again 1 week later, FUN.

I'm wondering if there are any arguments for this feature,,,

edit: Amazing, there are. Look, if I don't want to play DayZ tomorrow, I shouldn't have my food and water wasted just because I didn't play. There's no fucking reason for this feature, and it doesn't make the game any more "hardcore", so stop kidding yourselves.

Amazon, why spend twice as much?

Install is super easy.

I did it and had zero problems

how many times do i have to say it. i cant always plan when and how to logg out' date=' real life comes in the way and i have to log out in middle of the wood, no water/food and i starve when i log in again 1 week later, FUN.[/quote']

What exactly prevents you from keeping extra food and water with you always? Surely you can sacrifice 3-4 slots of your backpack to make sure you always have something to eat and drink.

Don't see a reason to remove it. Plan ahead. "real life happens" isn't too much of an excuse. Plan for that. I always keep 1 more food and drink than I need. If you're running through a forest and get lost, that's poor planning anyway.

As you already helped me here, do you guys know a good tutorial for installing from a non-steam version?

Always that I search for it I find steam tutorials.

Oh' date=' this makes things better.

usually food and cokes are really common, so I guess it won't be a problem.

[/quote']

Steam. Well, if you plan on getting expansions.

On topic: I find it really annoying to always have to make room in my pack for food and water before I sleep for the night.

As you already helped me here' date=' do you guys know a good tutorial for installing from a non-steam version? Always that I search for it I find steam tutorials.

[/quote']

This tutorial is for everything, steam and non-steam: [GUIDE] Installation Guide (Steam, Retail, Mixed, Beta, Common Errors)

I find it really annoying to always have to make room in my pack for food and water before I sleep for the night.

If you keep the food/drinks there all the time, you'll never have to make extra room for them.

If you keep the food/drinks there all the time' date=' you'll never have to make extra room for them.

[/quote']

When carrying a ton of important supplies, I tend to only carry one can of pepsi. Otherwise I just find it as I go.

With some of the good packs, you can carry a lot of stuff.

There's not really need to have more than one primary at a time, and 4 to 5 mags for it (and for the secondary) and you should have enough space to carry other supplies

When carrying a ton of important supplies' date=' I tend to only carry one can of pepsi. Otherwise I just find it as I go.[/quote']

I've got a habit to keep 1 or 2 full water bottles in my backpack. I rarely need to use them, but whenever I do, first priority for me is to go and refill them. Normally I just drink soda whenever I'm in town, even if I'm not particularly thirsty I drink it if it's available. In addition, I keep one extra soda in my main inventory.

Same for food, I keep one or two food items in my backpack, and one can in my inventory. Whenever I'm in town I eat when I find cans and when I leave town I make sure I have at least that 1 can in my inventory. The ones in my backpack are "emergency" and I only use them rarely.

This system leaves me more than enough slots to keep other stuff, such as chem lights, smoke grenades, flares, etc whatever I need. If you have alice (20) or coyote (24) backpack, having a system like this should be easy.

Wüstenfuchs is right.

This game is about survival. If you "tent to carry only pepsi" and prefer other stuff than perhaps you haven't understood the real meaning of "important supplies".

As long you don't log in just to find out you died from starvation, it's fine with me. It is just as you just wanted to be safe for a while and barricaded inside of somewhere/camped in the woods. Problem is: you need supplies.

I tend to carry two primaries when having a coyote or alice. One with a scope (For shooting bandits in fields and such, or for general PVP) and one that has a high damage capacity and is good at close range (For zombies and looting towns)

I also tend to find satchel charges and such... plus grenades. They rank more important than extra extra food and water.

Never really presented a problem for me, so

I agree, stuck at the airfield with NO water and 100+ zombies just roaming around and its always pitch black. Devs need to change this!

Then Imagine you're in that situation. You're actually STUCK and your character decide to stay there for some time to see how the situation develop.

Time passes and you start to become thirsty...

It seems to me the game managed to show this situation perfectly.

Is just like RL (if zombies exist). I think we should keep the actual state, it's very realistic.

Afterall the worst thing it could happen is death, so there's nothing to worry about. Shit happens.

Thirst and hunger really shouldn't decrease while offline' date=' its like your being punished for not playing the game.

If it has to stay that way they need to change the rate they decrease, Rocket is shooting for realism in server time yet my character gets hungry/thirsty again every 30 minutes, it makes no sense a character should be able to go for like 6-10 hours especially when aware of survival situation and rationing supplies.

[/quote']

This is funny. I feel like doing some maths today, but I'm terrible at it, so bear with me.

The average male requires 2000 calories a day, but that's assuming that you're in moderately good shape and don't exercise regularly.

A physically fit man will average about 8 miles an hour while running, or 12 kilometers, which is about the length of the south coast of Chernarus. Easily and often done, especially when I'm running from hordes of zombies. The math here is a little fuzzy because we're stretching it out over a lengthier play session, but an hour of running at this rate will burn around 1100 calories. Unless you're camped out in Cherno sniping newbies or driving everwhere, this will be fairly close to your hourly consumption rate. Everyone runs everywhere. I've yet to see a man walking between towns.

So using the Mayoclinic.com's calorie calculator, we find that a man that is 28 years old, 6 feet in height, and weighing 195 pounds with a very active lifestyle (about the average US soldier, or the average Chernarus survivor) will require at LEAST 3400 calories. (I knew some guys in the Marines who couldn't get by without at least 4000 calories a day, but they were trucks.)

Average can of pork and beans found in my pantry: 280 calories.

(Some food will last you farther, such as ligo sardines, which are 450 calories, or a 12oz steak off of an animal at about 650 calories, but we'll go with beans since they seem to be the most plentiful.) That means that you will need to consume a little under 13 cans of beans over a 16 hour period (the average waking day) in order to keep your body in equilibrium. That comes out to about a little under a can an hour, which is about what I've experienced in game.

Is the current system perfect? Not quite. I think some food needs to keep you full longer instead of just filling a quota and counting down. But it's pretty damn close. In the real zombie apocalypse, you will not go 6-10 hours without so much as a can of beans and just be able to brush it off.

TL: DR-

Everyone wakes up hungry. It's why we have breakfast in the morning.

This is a hardcore survival mod for a hardcore mil-sim. You have to be willing to put in the work in order to live.

Those that want hunger/thirst to stop going down while offline don't actually want this game. They want a zombie sandbox game, which is not what this mod is about. Go play Left 4 Dead some more.

Try dazzle people with all the math you want. A person doesn't need to eat every half an hour at all.

Coming back online to low hunger/thirst isnt even a huge issue for me, just the rate that you have to eat while playing the game, its stupid. Its about survival and you would ration supplies not chow down on beans every 30 minutes.

The interval between consuming food and water needs to be lengthened or the day night cycle needs to be compressed. As it stands right now the realism in those correlating areas is off completely.

Now that I understand its a feature I really like it. You go to bed, you wake up hungry. Its simple, realistic, and adds to the immersion. Adds yet another layer to a great mod. If its possible, maybe the consumption could be less while logged off, but since you can't die while offline I'm fine with it as is.

so long as I don't die for taking a vacation I'm good for it staying as is.

also be sure to leave at 1 food and drink in a tent if raiding.... don't be ruthless. unless you're an asshole and that's your sort of thing