OldFox (DayZ)

Banned from Eu8 for russian language

I think its pretty simple:

Language is arbitrary, and in my experience people usually do it because "russians are hackers" or "they will plot against out server in russian". Its got nothing to do with not liking the Cyrillic characters and often a lot of do with xenophobia.

We can't do anything about bad internet connections. I'm not going to suggest we all hop on a plane, travel to Australia, take spades and dig fiber optic lines. Just because we are being realistic doesn't mean that we can't take a stance on something.

There is a good reason to ping block servers, particularly for low bandwidth ones. But there is not very good reasons for kicking someone who speaks another language. I mean, seems pretty damn straightfoward and common sense to me?

Language is arbitrary' date=' and in my experience people usually do it because "russians are hackers" or "they will plot against out server in russian". Its got nothing to do with not liking the Cyrillic characters and often a lot of do with xenophobia.

We can't do anything about bad internet connections. I'm not going to suggest we all hop on a plane, travel to Australia, take spades and dig fiber optic lines. Just because we are being realistic doesn't mean that we can't take a stance on something.

There is a good reason to ping block servers, particularly for low bandwidth ones. But there is not very good reasons for kicking someone who speaks another language. I mean, seems pretty damn straightforward and common sense to me?

[/quote']

I totally understand this point you have. But can you understand ours aswell? We don't dislike people that don't speak English, not at all. I really like playing with people from all over the world and have been traveling a whole lot in my life.

But this has more to do with the works as an Admin that I really enjoy doing and want to keep doing. I hope that you might consider letting us have English only servers (This in the global chat). They are allowed to play and do whatever they want, just that I would like to create an international server that is still unified with a language that everyone that plays on it understand.

Im not going to ban/kick people for whatever they do, but I will try and talk to them and get them into using English. I have been on servers so many times when Admins try to talk to a person that dont speak english, the person answers with really bad language in their non-english one.

This doesnt have anything with Russians to do for me (If they speak english that is). It does affect all people that want to play on my server, even Swedes (Im swedish).

I dont want the game to be all English or anything, just my little server that Im going to administrate. And please dont say that Its my fault that I dont understand their language, I do speak alot of languages so this isnt a great point as nobody know all languages in the world. I speak Swedish, Norwegian, Danish, English, Finnish, French, Spanish and German. This should be enough to run a server I think, and Im sorry but I dont understand Russian and I cant really study it right now.

So please rocket, can we have an optional rule to have the server in English? And as said, I wont kick/Ban as soon as I see a language. Its more of a question to be able to control the server when it goes absolutely non-english in the chat. As it is now I cant really do anything to "control" what language there is in the chat which I would like to do.

Hope you understand my point and take some time to answer this again.

//Arcus

Language is arbitrary' date=' and in my experience people usually do it because "russians are hackers" or "they will plot against out server in russian". Its got nothing to do with not liking the Cyrillic characters and often a lot of do with xenophobia.

There is a good reason to ping block servers, particularly for low bandwidth ones. But there is not very good reasons for kicking someone who speaks another language. I mean, seems pretty damn straightforward and common sense to me?

[/quote']

I totally understand this point you have. But can you understand ours aswell? We don't dislike people that don't speak English, not at all. I really like playing with people from all over the world and have been traveling a whole lot in my life.

But this has more to do with the works as an Admin that I really enjoy doing and want to keep doing. I hope that you might consider letting us have English only servers (This in the global chat). They are allowed to play and do whatever they want, just that I would like to create an international server that is still unified with a language that everyone that plays on it understand.

Im not going to ban/kick people for whatever they do, but I will try and talk to them and get them into using English. I have been on servers so many times when Admins try to talk to a person that dont speak english, the person answers with really bad language in their non-english one.

This doesnt have anything with Russians to do for me (If they speak english that is). It does affect all people that want to play on my server, even Swedes (Im swedish).

I dont want the game to be all English or anything, just my little server that Im going to administrate. And please dont say that Its my fault that I dont understand their language, I do speak alot of languages so this isnt a great point as nobody know all languages in the world. I speak Swedish, Norwegian, Danish, English, Finnish, French, Spanish and German. This should be enough to run a server I think, and Im sorry but I dont understand Russian and I cant really study it right now.

So please rocket, can we have an optional rule to have the server in English? And as said, I wont kick/Ban as soon as I see a language. Its more of a question to be able to control the server when it goes absolutely non-english in the chat. As it is now I cant really do anything to "control" what language there is in the chat which I would like to do.

Hope you understand my point and take some time to answer this again.

//Arcus

Agree completley with the above. From my experience it's a lot of insults when it comes to using our own language rather then english.

Why not just implement a chat ignore option where you can block the people whose messages you don't want to see?

Fortunately' date=' in the gaming world, there is often servers for different languages, but that doesn't mean that I'm not happy for different people to play on my server and I understand it's hard to learn a different language.

(Note, Direct Chat in any language doesn't matter at all, as it's basically a private chat)

But @Rocket, please advise on this and we can sort it

[/quote']

This goes against everything the project stands for and what I believe. Maybe it is just because I've lived all over the world, but I really consider myself so lucky to have experienced so many different cultures. In the real world our geography bounds us. We apply these boundaries in the virtual world for what reason?

One of the gaming reviews talked about the reviewer teaming up with someone who spoke another language. That is what this project is about. I can understand the rules weren't clear on kicking, I have amended the page. However if this happens we will issue clarifications to such servers to ensure they understand our intent.

I don't want to be a dick about it, but I feel really strongly about this. I applaud people slaughtering each other and being crazy in the DayZ world... that is what this is about. But that shouldn't be about our culture and language out of game. Nothing pleases me more than seeing twitter posts (that I can't read) from far away places like Japan, China, (New Zealand!). I think it is amazing to share experiences with someone who you can't communicate with. In the absence of language, everything takes on significant meaning and your senses are heightened.

My experiences meeting other players who were foreign have been incredibly rewarding, even when it resulted in me dying.

Please don't kick people on the basis of language, it's really not in the spirit of the project. Everyone should be welcome to this, with only technical limitations in place such as ping to facilitate the game server experience.

I have spent only a little time with the Russian community. I hope I can spend more. They offer an amazing insight to gaming that is both familiar and foreign. It fascinates me. Their community is amazing and the intensity and way their community engages with the game is fantastic. I love all the nuances about the communities. I really want to bring this concept properly to Asia, Russia, South America. These communities are unique and amazing and I think it would be fantastic if we can really globalize things.

Thank you for clearing up the thing. I've removed my auto-kick for both non-ascii chat and names.

Also, with me personally, it was never to do with race, it was the fact that the mass majority of players speak english and it was to support the common communication line.

But someday, I may have the pleasure of exploring the world and meeting different cultures. Only got involved with French and Spanish people before.

China is top of my list (Well Hong Kong)

Why are so many people confusing Lingua Franca with racism and patriotism? It's the opposite. It's a way for people of different languages to communicate.

All this talk of respect for individuality leads to the exact opposite. Some people don't mind foreign languages, some do. Why not accommodate both groups by having servers where all languages are allowed and some where predefined languages are allowed? Then there's truly something for everybody.

Allowing server admins to cater to different segments is true respect for individuality. Both for the admins and the people who play on their servers.

Why are so many people confusing Lingua Franca with racism and patriotism? It's the opposite. It's a way for people of different languages to communicate.

All this talk of respect for individuality leads to the exact opposite. Some people don't mind foreign languages' date=' some do. Why not accommodate both groups by having servers where all languages are allowed and some where predefined languages are allowed? Then there's truly something for everybody.

Allowing server admins to cater to different segments is true respect for individuality. Both for the admins and the people who play on their servers.

[/quote']

This is really what I want, I want my server to be English only in chat. I have tried to say it, but I dont really understand what people mean when they say its racism to have one unified language to gather round and use to play together with.

Im totally fine if other servers have their server multilingual but I dont think I want to have my server that way. And when I do run the server I think I should be able to choose this as Im the one sitting there trying to administrate the whole shaboom.

And I love that you care so much for humans being treated well Rocket, but I dont think this has anything to do with people being treated badly in any way. If you dont posses the English language that good, then maybe there is a server in your country that you can play on instead where its Swedish only (As an example).

So we cater to the people who want English only servers and then we descend on the slippery slope... we cater to the people who want servers without this, without that. We're trying to standardize the servers because it is an absolute fucking nightmare to run 200-300 servers when everyone insists that their server is special. Also, I just don't understand your objections. Honestly, they just don't make sense to me, so why should I standardize a rule that is hard to apply and that I don't believe in? I mean, feel free to convince me but nothing that has been said amounts to more that:

> Having any language on the server gives freedom

> I don't want people speaking other languages

> That infringes on my freedom

> Therefore I should have the freedom to restrict others freedom

This isn't your typical multiplayer mod, people need to get their head around this. We have a hard enough time with the current standardization. By hard time I mean absolute chaos and giving me stomach ulcers. We simply do not have the resources to draft special rules or cater to individual tastes. We standardize the rules so everyone knows them and they are easy to apply. You wanna host a server? Great! We tell you the spirit of the project and a few clear rules, and ask you not to be a dick.

Maybe things will change, if we can lock the server tech down a bit. Then we can open it up. But until then - the rule has been clarified and it seems almost like common sense to me.

• Like 1

So we cater to the people who want English only servers and then we descend on the slippery slope... we cater to the people who want servers without this' date=' without that. We're trying to standardize the servers because it is an absolute fucking nightmare to run 200-300 servers when everyone insists that their server is special. Also, I just don't understand your objections. Honestly, they just don't make sense to me, so why should I standardize a rule that is hard to apply and that I don't believe in? I mean, feel free to convince me but nothing that has been said amounts to more that:

> Having any language on the server gives freedom

> I don't want people speaking other languages

> That infringes on my freedom

> Therefore I should have the freedom to restrict others freedom

This isn't your typical multiplayer mod, people need to get their head around this. We have a hard enough time with the current standardization. By hard time I mean absolute chaos and giving me stomach ulcers. We simply do not have the resources to draft special rules or cater to individual tastes. We standardize the rules so everyone knows them and they are easy to apply. You wanna host a server? Great! We tell you the spirit of the project and a few clear rules, and ask you not to be a dick.

Maybe things will change, if we can lock the server tech down a bit. Then we can open it up. But until then - the rule has been clarified and it seems almost like common sense to me.

[/quote']

Yes, making them all standardized and without any dumb xenophobic restrictions is the way to go Rocket. I feel like you've spoken on the issue enough and at this point the discussions should be closed.

Hello everyone. I'm new here, and I'm Russian. So, sorry for my bad english.

I'm very concerned about this situation in DayZ, because I think that problem is more serious due that this mod evokes a lot of emotions during the game. It is hard to believe anyone in this cruel zombie-world and cooperate with other survivors. On the one hand, national differences add more problems to deal with it, and on the other hand, it makes game more realistic. You don't play only role of friendly/neutral/rogue survivor, also you can collect your group by national/age/trust or any other sign.

Sorry for rude and impolite behavior of my compatriots.

Many of them not tolerate foreign languages or even foreigners, while playing on russian servers or even foreign servers. But not all of us are doing so.

I have theory, that great part of them are just teens. I suppose in western countries most kids play with console, in Russia last common console was first Play Station. So, they bring their idiocy and a children's perfectionism in Internet and PC mmo-games.

Actualy, russian community have experienced example of unpleasant raid of organized group of kids from nowadays disappeared image-board 2ch to online game FOnline. They took best equipment and guns, and start killing all players and NPCs in-sight. But over time, they quarreled with each other and dissappeared. In DayZ I have heard that someone used slang from that game, please be alerted if someone write in chat this massage: "Суть пустошей", these players could probably be unpredictable and dangerous.

The only well-working solution of this issue I see, if server-owners will establish language-policy on their servers and have staff of moderators online. This way is difficult, lead to more dispute among offended players, but only enough effective that I know.

Otherwise, we can rely only on our politeness. But prepare to continue hear cheers: "Yankee go home!".

Thank you for attention. I'm ready to answer any question about this situation, if I could.

Instead of enforcing multi-language rules at the top level, why not let the admins make the decision?

-It's a win for you and the devs (it's one less thing to worry about)

-It's a win for server admins

-It's a win for players (there will be something for everyone and the constant language fights could finally die)

I understand that you have a great deal on your plate and I respect that, but forcing people together against their will just doesn't seem tolerant to me.

robollama, this has nothing to do with xenophobia. It's about letting people choose whether they want to engage in a social game on a server that adheres to a language that they understand. I don't join Russian servers because I don't understand Russian. Same reason I don't buy a German book or watch Italian news. It has absolutely zero to do with xenophobia and everything to do with communication and understanding.

All this talk of xenophobia, racism and intolerance is a cheap shot at an argument that's 100% about communication and 0% about any of the former.

I guess I can speak any language I want as long as I don't disagree with you. "Quick close the thread before someone posts a counter-argument."

On a last note, doesn't the forum feature a Russian section? I guess keeping languages apart on the forum is common sense, but on the server it's xenophobia.

I do very much respect your decision Rocket. But I must say that JayRoes points here is way more logical to me. I dont think the way with supertight control of these things on server are good for the mod or you as a person as it just keep getting more for you to control.

There isnt any other game with personally hosted servers that dont allow server admins to have some control. And I think this is one of the big one to handle. If you do exactly as JayRoe said above me here, there wouldnt be any problems with this in the future.

And please, for the final time. This has nothing to do with what country or not your from. Its simply a discussion that we want the ability to have a language on our server that everyone can join in on.

I dont this should be called a case where everyone wants their server to be special, its common sense to me that I get to control what language that goes in what server. I have really tried to meet you halfway here rocket by saying that English is what I want in my server. If I should take it down the road to the end I think we should be able to host servers with what language you want. If you join a server that is marked "Swedish" then it should be swedish in there.

I think this mod is turning into something big with some more time and then it needs to let admins decide things like this. In this way we could control the problem with international people on servers hosted in countries with poor internet aswell. If you live in a country with poor internet, then you could join a server with your language only on. Im pretty sure it would be great to join a server where you can speak you native tongue and play with decent ping. Isnt this kinda Win-Win ?

I do think so, but I want an international server with the commonly used international language English that so many understand and use in daily life. By this I could have a server that I can control the chat on with whats said and not. And people that join it will hopefully understand english and can communicated on that language with all of us.

Please remeber Rocket, we are here because we love this mod with all our heart and we want to help you it bring to all the people that want to play it. I dont think its fair to step on us when we have a very basic demand like this. I think it should be in the info page for each server what language is preferred or if its multilingual. That way you dont need to bother about this. It would just be very natural for most people I think to find servers that have different language requirements. And if you want to play on a server with multilingual policy, then its fine to just go ahead and play on that one. This doesnt hurt the game, its just the way it needs to be I think.

And so as a final, Please remeber Rocket. We love you for what you have done with this mod and all around it. But I think its time to let things like this go to the server admins hands.

I dont think you have to do this in any way, I just want to discuss things that I think is standard in these situations.

Your control over the servers with the strict policy of not using spawning tools is great, I think thats a thing you should keep hard on. But this is so different to that in the way that if a game is internationally known I think that you need to let things like this through so people that speak Spanish, French, Swedish, Danish, Chinese or whatever can have servers where their native tongue is recognized and known. It would be so much easier that way, nobody would have to complain about the russians (In this case), they could just go play on a russian speaking server if they dont speak the servers preferred language (If its not multilingual now then).

I think it would solve all these issues that Im sure will grown to many more if you dont let specialized language servers through the net. I dont think you have to control this in any way other than looking in the servers name so its correct with the preferred language and so on.

The bottom line in this is that I dont want to mess with you in any way Rocket. I dont really understand though how you cant see this from our point of view. Its clear that more than I think like this and Im sure it will be more and more the bigger the mod gets.

The daylight chaser wouldnt be a problem either as Im sure there would be servers in all countries that have both normal and reversed time for people to choose from.

Sorry for the very long post here :) Just wanted to get it all out so you might see it from our point of view this time aswell.

Hello everyone. I'm new here' date=' and I'm Russian. So, sorry for my bad english.

I'm very concerned about this situation in DayZ, because I think that problem is more serious due that this mod evokes a lot of emotions during the game. It is hard to believe anyone in this cruel zombie-world and cooperate with other survivors. On the one hand, national differences add more problems to deal with it, and on the other hand, it makes game more realistic. You don't play only role of friendly/neutral/rogue survivor, also you can collect your group by national/age/trust or any other sign.

Many of them not tolerate foreign languages or even foreigners, while playing on russian servers or even foreign servers. But not all of us are doing so.

I have theory, that great part of them are just teens. I suppose in western countries most kids play with console, in Russia last common console was first Play Station. So, they bring their idiocy and a children's perfectionism in Internet and PC mmo-games.

Actualy, russian community have experienced example of unpleasant raid of organized group of kids from nowadays disappeared image-board 2ch to online game FOnline. They took best equipment and guns, and start killing all players and NPCs in-sight. But over time, they quarreled with each other and dissappeared. In DayZ I have heard that someone used slang from that game, please be alerted if someone write in chat this massage: "Суть пустошей", these players could probably be unpredictable and dangerous.

The only well-working solution of this issue I see, if server-owners will establish language-policy on their servers and have staff of moderators online. This way is difficult, lead to more dispute among offended players, but only enough effective that I know.

Otherwise, we can rely only on our politeness. But prepare to continue hear cheers: "Yankee go home!".

Thank you for attention. I'm ready to answer any question about this situation, if I could.

[/quote']

Hey SnowJump!

Glad to hear someone from the other side showing some compassion. I agree that not all from anywhere are the same as what we end up seeing online. It only takes 1 bad apple to spoil the bunch, is a popular phrase over here. Its true.

About that phrase you mentioned: Суть пустошей In google it translates to 'the essence of the wasteland', at least roughly it does.. Why are these people dangerous?

Anyway, perhaps we will meet up on a server. :)

"let the admins make the decision"

1. Because a small percentage of the admins will abuse those decisions.

2. We loose control of one area... slippery slope.

Last, and most importantly:

3. Because I have personal thoughts on the issue (that may be right or wrong) and I can't in good conscience abandon those where I have the chance to do something I believe is right. I think there is something wrong with abandoning your own judgement just because it is easier. I feel pretty strongly on this being an inclusive system, for girls, for guys, for people who speak other languages.

Hello everyone. I'm new here' date=' and I'm Russian. So, sorry for my bad english.

[/quote']

Thank god you are here, as you might now by now I want an English speaking server. But as people go in here they think I hate all russians etc. But as you clearly speak great english and all you would be absolutely perfectly welcome to play on the server.

But if you neighbor for example dont speak english, then it would be great for him to play on a russian speaking server and all would be happy. And the plus for him would be that he got the best ping of the bunch.

This is what I want to achieve with all this, that people could host a server in the different languages so non-english could play with the people that speak the same language. This can be achieved on a Multilingual server aswell and then they could play there if the server admin allows it.

I hope this helped me prove my point and that I could please stop receiving stupid comments from some people that Im a racist and so on. I dont think that has anything to do with racism, I would never encourage that behavior and this is just a question on servers in different locations.

"let the admins make the decision"

1. Because a small percentage of the admins will abuse those decisions.

2. We loose control of one area... slippery slope.

3. Because I have personal thoughts on the issue (that may be right or wrong) and I can't in good conscience abandon those where I have the chance to do something I believe is right.

Ok, Ill let this go now then. Sorry if I have made you angry in any way. It has never and will never be my point. Its clear that this will never go the way I see it so Ill rest my case now.

Thanks for taking you time to answer it and saying what you think and I respect that very much even if we couldnt agree in this question.

I love a good discussion. This is a great and important topic :)

Wait, people don't like that someone speaks a different language? I kind of love the idea that you can run into some other guy and you can't communicate, since he speaks russian and you speak english. Imagine two guys shouting at each other to put their weapons down but neither understands the other xD

Wait' date=' people don't like that someone speaks a different language? I kind of love the idea that you can run into some other guy and you can't communicate, since he speaks russian and you speak english. Imagine two guys shouting at each other to put their weapons down but neither understands the other xD

[/quote']

Has happened, fun times.

If we're going all diverse, we need female characters (including the Zed).

Also as you're viewing this thread, please enable forum mobile support. ^^

Great to hear! Should we continue then? :)

Naah just kidding, but its great to have conversation that is mature and not just people yelling and being crazy. It felt good to let you know what I and some other think so you know for future decisions.

Its just sad, when some people have to use the "racist" card in all this as its clearly not a case of racism (From my side that is, I dont take responsibility for any other comments in this thread).

I hope we can find some other great topic to discuss for a while soon :)

But to make a last thing clear, can I as an admin kick a player for yelling in the global chat etc. I know what the new patch did, but to be honest it has a to small of an effect, they simply ignore it. Or more than that they love to shout in the global chat when they are waiting for server response etc.

One other thing that I think should be discussed with this is the use of poor language. They must be eligible for a kick right if they use words like p#nis etc.

>Tokae

>It only takes 1 bad apple to spoil the bunch, is a popular phrase over here.

Hey, Tokae

Little Offtop

It only takes 1 spoon of shit to spoil a barrel of honey. Popular phrase in Russia.

>Why are these people dangerous?

They kill and torture for fun, only in game of course. Trolling the only thing they know and want to do.

>Anyway, perhaps we will meet up on a server.

I hope so, but every time I was shot in the back, I start thinking to avoid meeting with other players. =D

>rocket

>"let the admins make the decision"

You're the chief, only you have power to change anything there.

Despite our opinion we will accept any your decisions. Anyway, glad to see that you communicate with players.

And I will never get used to this quote-system. Yes, I know that I use it wrong, but I love to reply to few persons in one massage.

>Arcus

>Thank god you are here, as you might now by now I want an English speaking server. But as people go in here they think I hate all russians etc. But as you clearly speak great english and all you would be absolutely perfectly welcome to play on the server.

Hey, Arcus

Also it depends on game or mode. Some of them need establish language for chat, some of them need players to understand language as part of communication to follow rules or orders to achieve victory. In DayZ IMHO critically only chat conversation. While different languages help to simulate our world, we have hardcore game, right?

However, if you will have english speaking server, non-english players will continue to join your server by different reasons (like good ping, daytime, national servers are full, etc.), and some of them will not follow formal or informal rules. People always break rules. Theoretically, in our situation, we can ask them to follow rules, but only few of them will. We cant change their behavior through internet, this is work for parents, school, governments and religion, but I doubt that they are interested to explain how to be polite in online-games. But we can make them to follow rules by server/game administration. We have only whip, and dont have honey-cake and influence on their mind.

I also checked russian subforum. Folks discus this issue too. I have read only 4 pages and stoped with hand on my face. I didnt find any statements that I could call an argument.

Many russian players sure that foreigners complain only because they think that all russians are cheaters, hackers, bandits, sons of devil and just latent xenophobes. And this give to these russians thin that they should pay the same and increase their negative relationship to all foreigners.

Does anyone else see the huge amount of irony here.

When a lot of the people in the thread can't even properly spell and use the English language they must tell other people to use theirs?

Odd. I always thought that having tons of different languages on a mod such as dayz was great. I mean, I don't understand russian, or greek, or many other languages, but that just add realism/immersion when you meet some guy and don't understand shit he's saying, or he you.

Of course global/side chat sucks to begin with so...there's that.

God help that one poor Mixe dude, that has dreamed of playing something like DayZ his entire life, if the servers were segregated by language! ;)

I guess nobody noticed my message:

Why not just implement a chat ignore option where you can block the people whose messages you don't want to see?

Wouldn't that be a win for all? You just right click a player and select Ignore - problem solved.