Slamz

THE Night is TOO DAMN DARK Thread. Others will be deleted etc.

It's pretty funny, the "improved tonemapping" change in one of the beta patches actually made me think that their HDR eye adaption may now work properly ( eyes slowly adapting even to very dark surroundings ), or at least give us 2 more shades of grey to see things in the pitch black nights with high brightness settings.

But apparently it makes things even darker now.

Nobody in their right mind ( and without NVG ) bothers playing at night with the current state of the game, you're just exposing yourself to bandits with NightVision or Zombies that you will likely see too late. Switching the lights on is just an invitation to get killed, even if it looks kind of neat and atmospheric.

Screenshot from a client running the beta patch. Gamma at 1.5, HDR set to max.

DBD5582C18CCB43C680A36E1311CC3F8A243742A

Here's the exact same view on a server set four hours earlier.

5BCC6E3663E9379A206C67E87610391487B065C0

I'm not sure what the idea behind the change was, but servers that were previously full at this time of day now have fewer than 10 people on them. Everyone has migrated to servers with daylight times, and presumably people who have found NVGs are given free reign of the map.

Since zombies are attracted to flares like bandits are, you should never throw the flares at your feet or the exact direction you intent to walk. You throw a couple far away from your position, to draw zombies away and to light up the general area and then sneak around in the dark shadows.

Oh yea and guess how NVGs, which are designed to enhance starlight 30-50.000 times, react to a bright road flare.

DBD5582C18CCB43C680A36E1311CC3F8A243742A

That's how it should be. Well at least when there's little moon.

[EDIT] Notice how you can see the direct surroundings and the gun? Still ... for that moon a bit too dark.[/EDIT]

When the sky is clear, and I can see all the stars, and yet the only thing I can see is a bright flare in the middle of Electro something is wrong, I should at least be able to see the tip of my gun, see the contours of the ocean.

We live on a planet with an atmosphere, even at night some of the light from the sun makes it to the other side of the planet.

This is more a view I would expect on a planetoid a few AU from the Sun

I mean, look at this picture: http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/595846901703197090/62B88D9E1513248A67B1E45617EDF08CF8CB607B/

Even with gamma and brightness set way higher then I usually do I can't make out where my gun starts and begins.

Anyone who calls this realistic must be living in another reality, but it's only this dark in the centre of the earth or on an planetoid in deep space.

This kind of darkness only serves to empty server at night, and allows anyone with NVGs to just run around and loot everything since nobody will be bothering on night servers.

Another couple of shots.

Valley at night with flare nearby.

061A1D0E4DAFFEE74BF9C74586A2F4547FA3A553

Exactly the same view during day.

A8E8D0B18E7A41E5B95B927A55A45AE867485A76

This kind of darkness only serves to empty server at night' date=' and allows anyone with NVGs to just run around and loot everything since nobody will be bothering on night servers.

[/quote']

Sshh! im trying to find a ghillie suit in peace!! :D

but yes, I agree it is too dark. You should be able to see at least a few feet in the dark without a light source and further if the moon is out.

Wouldn't be so bad if you didn't have to sacrifice your side-arm for a flash-light.

Just what you want to do as a freshly spawned survivor, drop your only means of defence. Especially when you only have one arm.

Okay, time for me to jump onto the bandwagon of moaning and complaining...

The new update, even though i was looking forward to it... made me upset...

Just logged in

Turned on flashlight on CCO

What i had before, and would like to have..

Could we have at least some silhouettes?

What i have right now... is simply un-playable :(

I am all for the immersion for the gameplay, for removing of the exploits... However, considering the fact how rare the nightvision goggles are, and how unrealistically dark it gets... This is wrong.

What i'm experiencing is a photography dark room... Not even planetarium looks like this... I guess we're back to the idea of - 'play daytime only' :(

Edit: Planetarium is daylight bright compared to this... This is bottom of the mineshaft dark :/

Night vision goggles? Who needs those?

ZRH2P.jpg

This is with no changes to gamma or brightness. HDR Quality high. There is no light source in town.

Have to agree, what ever has changed is for the worse. Its absolutely pitch black now, I can't see the barrel of my own gun with gamma, brightness and HDR all up. This was next to the coast with the stars out. The light from the stars alone should be enough to add a slight grey scale to the environment.

With a chem light I can see approx 1 metre radius around my body, beyond that its pitch black again. So my own light source isn't even creating shadows.

I've played enough games of storm the lantern in my youth to know that you can be out in the middle of the scrub with no light source except the sky and still find your way in the dark. Maybe make it so it takes 5 minutes for your eyes to adjust and exposure to a fake light source rests your night vision.

Either way its now unrealistic and completely off putting.

I've only been in a place where I literally could see nothing, and that was in a cave where there was NO light sources.

It would also be nice (although a limitation of the map I guess now) if towns had light sources of some sort (street lamps?) that were on. Maybe even flickering for a nice spooky effect.

I just got my own server hosted recently, and got on at night time for my server. It was literally so black that the sky was only distinguishable because I started to see stars. It got worse when heavy cloud coverage developed.

Latest beta patch for arma made it way too dark.

Go to the community feedback for arma and tell them night is too dark.

NVGs enhance star light 50.000 times.

Stars does not provide enough light in themselves.

Overcast nights are brighter, because of light reflected from towns beyond the horizon.

Unless the powerplants stop working, then there's no more city lights to reflect off the sky.

Use artificial lights intelligently, untill the moon rises.

Don't run around holding road flares, which can be seen several hundreds meters away and attracts zombies.

Extinguis chemlights if you hear shots nearby or discover traces of player activity, dead corpses.

Use flashlights carefully, only to flash your surroundings quickly and to locate loot in the dark.

It's a learn to play issue.

You could allways make the light poles in citys / roadside actually work. That way even if its pitch black you can allways follow a road to a town.

Sorry Dallas but I disagree. Here's a screenshot with the following settings:

Gamma = max, brightness = max, HDR = very high

The night sky is great, the stars are out, there's some cloud cover. But as soon as you leave the sky view it's completely pitch black. On a night like this I should be at least able to see my hands, but without artificial light its impossible.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a60/Plunk1984/arma2oa2012-06-1323-22-20-26.jpg

This is a great screenshot btw. We were on a hill with a great view of the sky, in the forests I could walk into a tree and not know it.

My mate thought it was hilarious. With me carrying a chem light he only had to stop a foot outside of the ring of light to be completely invisible to me. I can hear zombies. But its been a long time since I've seen one tonight.

I don't have these ridiculous problems because I don't download beta patches. There is plenty of dayZ servers around that are not requiring the beta patch.

I don't have these ridiculous problems because I don't download beta patches. There is plenty of dayZ servers around that are not requiring the beta patch.

Next dayZ update will require it.

Latest beta patch for arma made it way too dark.

Go to the community feedback for arma and tell them night is too dark.

There's already a CIT ticket open regarding the new tonal mapping. It's not addressing the night per se, but clearly demonstrates that ARMA's shadow values are now more out whack than ever:

https://dev-heaven.net/issues/32765

You want a cookie?

Well I can understand why they have done it. Maxing Gamma and Brightness with VH HDR turned night time into a daytime b&w.

But fair would be fair, I find that the chemlights are quite underpowered. So increasing their range of field would be appreciated in my opinion and would probably fulfill what the developers would want us to go towards (viable application of chems and flares).

I've also found chems to be a bit glitchy when throwing/dropping, in that they fall through buildings and floors.

PS. I also find that a torch taking up 5 slots in my packback is a bit of a reach!

Chems are virtually useless. Flares don't really work that well either.

Make flashlights more common and let us carry it in addition to sidearm?