BuddyMcFriend

1st Person vs. 3rd Person

I like third person for one reason.

FIrst person is disorientating. I really, really dislike it. Even with headbob down, I still get a bit dizzy after playing it.

3rd Person for the simple fact that it allows you check around corners without really doing so, the same reason so many people hate it.

I vote for third person, although I wish it wasn't in the game.

As stealth is a large part of the gameplay, third person provides the single biggest advantages in the game. The ability to look around corners without giving the chance to expose your position (an ambushers wet dream), a slightly wider viewing angle and complete ease to negotiate your surroundings while proned in tall grass. To not use it on a server that permits it is self harm.

But I find first-person to be tremendously more immersive. And I feel more comfortable taking aim with it. Best saved for low-pop or 1st person servers where people are less likely to exploit your disability. And for when you've got a few spare changes of pants. I personally love it when a game gives you little choice but to brave the unknown and makes failure so unforgiving. There are so few games which have a genuine reason to be scary.

But I can't just expect people to discover that side of gaming willingly. It's understandable that a majority will think advantages =/= more enjoyable. And that's why third person will be a must-have in the future stand-alone or sequel title.

Edit: One thing to note (depending on the server) is that the game includes enhanced hearing so that players can percieve unnatural sound sources that are off-screen which speakers and headsets wouldn't adequately account for. Those faint white dots you sometimes see on the border of your screen. It certainly helps tighten the gap between 1st and 3rd person but they're still by no means close. Perhaps if they greyed and blurred everything that your character shouldn't see (ala Full Spectrum Warrior style) we'd be getting somewhere.

Edited by Cooperal

Edit: One thing to note (depending on the server) is that the game includes enhanced hearing so that players can percieve unnatural sound sources that are off-screen which speakers and headsets wouldn't adequately account for. Those faint white dots you sometimes see on the border of your screen. It certainly helps tighten the gap between 1st and 3rd person but they're still by no means close. Perhaps if they greyed and blurred everything that your character shouldn't see (ala Full Spectrum Warrior style) we'd be getting somewhere.

So THAT is what those dots are for? I assumed that it was the sun in my peripherie..

Prefer 3rd person servers with CH off. 1st person view is just too restrictive and offers you no awareness of what is immediately around you, unlike what you would have IRL. Clearing buildings and firefights I use 1st person only. If they found a way to reduce the head bob of 1st person, and gave you some way to be aware of what is around you, I wouldn't have a problem playing on 1st person only servers.

Third-person is how I make up for the decreased situational awareness that arises when I play a video game.

I need to know OK!!! :huh:

Why is it 1st person then 3rd person view????? :huh:

WTF happened to 2nd person view?? <_<

BTW I like 3rd for exploring and 1-2nd-rd for combat!!! :)

But please were is Mr 2nd person view??? :|

Edited by Itchy

When traveling a distance and not near towns or areas I can loot I use 3rd person, since I like the view it gives when running through the forests.

But when ever I feel like its time to loot or fight or I'm near some place I go 1st person because 3rd gives an advantage in combat by allowing you to look around corners and such.

Also I leave head blob on because without it 1st person just is weird and lacks a feel of realism and immersion.

Edited by TheCenturion

3rd person is best person. IMO of course. players need that kind of perception that you don't get when using 1st person. It makes up for lost senses.

I 100% agree, but it makes combat shit. IMO 3rd is like hack & Slash but good for exploring and 1st is like an FPS!!! ;)

I dunno maybe its me!!! <_<

I 100% agree, but it makes combat shit. IMO 3rd is like hack & Slash but good for exploring and 1st is like an FPS!!! ;)

I dunno maybe its me!!! <_<

thats why I like rightclick taking me to ironsights. Although some guns you can learn where the crosshair is actually pointing by looking at it, then right clicking to goto iron sights and see where you are really aiming. I can headshot zombies from the hip with my AK 3rd person.

Although I'm getting better with no crosshair too :D alot of those skills came from Killing Floor.

Edited by internetTAB

We should address a bigger issue here. Why the hell can't we aim a flashlight and run at the same time. A human's brain would coordinate signals between the eyes and hands to point the flashlight and correct for shakiness.

• Like 1

We should address a bigger issue here. Why the hell can't we aim a flashlight and run at the same time. A human's brain would coordinate signals between the eyes and hands to point the flashlight and correct for shakiness.

The even bigger problem than that is why we can't have the flashlight in a slot of its own like the binoculars..

I always play on 3DP servers. Why? Because I dont like the clunky 1st person animations and camera shaking. Yes I have head bob off but it does not have any effect on your characters body movement. Thats about it.

I sometimes feel like I'm playing Gears of War when I look at my character. The only thing different being that we're much more conservative about ammunition, and it's a lot faster paced in Gears.

1st person always, 3d person of crawling. And it will be nice if Rocket disable 3d person completely for this game.

3rd person when moving around, 1st person during combat or when in towns/enclosed areas.

3rd. Players can already give themselves a big advantage by simply disabling shadows. May as well give yourself the maximum advantage possible or you'll always be the one that gets sent back to the coast.

Third person, first person has such a small FOV it gives me a headache, i usually play on a 90/95 FOV so the 60/70 Arma has first person in is really difficult for me to use. The "-" zoom out helps me deal with first person but third person is still my preference, gives me a more realistic sense of awareness I think.

I sometimes feel as if the game has too many modifications available to the visual options.. I mean yes, I understand that everyone has different computer specs and this isn't an Xbox or Playstation console, but maybe we can find a solid middle ground where the graphics don't need to be changed in order to cope with the game.

Make it so that you don't need to ramp up the gamma, make nights possibly just a tad tiny bit less dark (someone said that using morphine basically fixes your broken leg, so this game isn't realistic at all. So don't give me that crap about living in the country and you can't see your hand in front of your face).

All I'm really suggesting is that maybe the 'standalone' game can have graphics set to the simple high medium low very low. Turning up the gamma so that night time playing is almost essential if I don't want to bump into a zombie or a stop sign. Yes, there are flares, yes there are chemlights, yes there are NVGs, but if you make these items COMPLEMENT the experience and make it EASIER, then I agree. But when it's UNPLAYABLE at night time without these things, I do not agree.